Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For some stupid reason I've been obsessing about Amigas for the last few weeks, and it's gotten so bad that I actually put money down on a crowdfunded A500 case reproduction even though I sold all my Amiga poo poo way back in 1995. So I guess in like two years a nice new case will show up, and I reckon I should probably figure out what to actually do with it.

I know I'm an idiot, but someone in here can help me be an even bigger idiot by spending way too much money on ancient dead computer poo poo surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

make sure to nab some sw8 software like video toaster and OctaMED when the time comes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don't know anyone who used amigas irl

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

I don't know anyone who used amigas irl

I don't even have the excuse of being a euro

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all I know about amigas is they were 3rd rate computers used primarily by furries.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
eww no

seat safety switch might be your amiga amigo

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Enos Cabell posted:

someone in here can help me be an even bigger idiot by spending way too much money on ancient dead computer poo poo surely?

hi

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Enos Cabell posted:

For some stupid reason I've been obsessing about Amigas for the last few weeks, and it's gotten so bad that I actually put money down on a crowdfunded A500 case reproduction even though I sold all my Amiga poo poo way back in 1995. So I guess in like two years a nice new case will show up, and I reckon I should probably figure out what to actually do with it.

I know I'm an idiot, but someone in here can help me be an even bigger idiot by spending way too much money on ancient dead computer poo poo surely?

hi i own an Amiga 2000 with way too many add-ons installed. it's not plugged in atm because i have a mac plugged in its place or i'd whip up a giant spinning "get out" in lightwave.

i suggest purchasing an Amiga 2000, OP. perhaps with a GVP 68040 accelerator and a 386 Bridgeboard so you can run Windows on it in a little window on your desktop

mine has...

- 68030 accelerator @ 40MHz with 68882 FPU
- 16MB of 32-bit RAM, 4MB of Fast RAM, 2MB of Chip RAM
- Picasso II video card (Cirrus Logic chip from 1993), resolutions up to 1600x1200 with 256 colors or 800x600 with 24-bit color
- SCSI2SD and 4GB of storage
- 8x CD burner
- Dual 115200bps UART card
- A2286 Bridgeboard, 8MHz 286, 287 FPU, 1MB of RAM
- ATI VGA Wonder and a generic ISA serial card for the PC side

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 1, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

When I was a teenager I had an A500 with a second disk drive and the 512kb memory expansion, but I lusted greatly after an A1200. Alas, it never happened. I wonder how much they cost these days. I still regret getting rid of it all.

The UK Amiga gaming mags back in the day were the best. Demo disks on the front and pages full of barely disguised sexual innuendo.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 1, 2018

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my uncle had amigas and he had all the pirated games you could wish for then one of them pirated games gave all of his amigas a virus and he was sad and i was sad because i couldn't play Lemmings when my mother dragged me over to his dank hovel that he calls a home thanks for listening to my Amiga talk.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

hi i own an Amiga 2000 with way too many add-ons installed. it's not plugged in atm because i have a mac plugged in its place or i'd whip up a giant spinning "get out" in lightwave.

i suggest purchasing an Amiga 2000, OP. perhaps with a GVP 68040 accelerator and a 386 Bridgeboard so you can run Windows on it in a little window on your desktop

mine has...

- 68030 accelerator @ 40MHz with 68882 FPU
- 16MB of 32-bit RAM, 4MB of Fast RAM, 2MB of Chip RAM
- Picasso II video card (Cirrus Logic chip from 1993), resolutions up to 1600x1200 with 256 colors or 800x600 with 24-bit color
- SCSI2SD and 4GB of storage
- 8x CD burner
- Dual 115200bps UART card
- A2286 Bridgeboard, 8MHz 286, 287 FPU, 1MB of RAM
- ATI VGA Wonder and a generic ISA serial card for the PC side

Back in the day I had a GVP sidecar for my A500 with an 030 accelerator and a 40mb scsi hd, that thing ruled. I'm kinda surprised to see there are companies still making hardware for this stuff. I'm kinda thinking it might be a still dumb but not as dumb idea to pick up a Vampire Apollo v4 standalone fpga, slap that in the new 500 case when it shows up, and call it good.

You win

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

clone on the phone posted:

When I was a teenager I had an A500 with a second disk drive and the 512kb memory expansion, but I lusted greatly after an A1200. Alas, it never happened. I wonder how much they cost these days. I still regret getting rid of it all.

The UK Amiga gaming mags back in the day were the best. Demo disks on the front and pages full of barely disguised sexual innuendo.

Dude just stop now, that was where I was a few weeks ago and now I'm bidding on 1084s monitor auctions. It's not a good path to be on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

eww no

seat safety switch might be your amiga amigo

people keep giving me haggard amigas, and I pull the clock batteries off the board and fix all the corrosion that results. i think i like fixing them more than using them, because the euro-style "press up to jump" character platformers are some of the worst games on the planet.

the copper is cool as hell though. you can race the beam without having to get your timings exact.

my favourite machine is my amiga 2500 (an a2000 with an '030 card installed into it from the factory) but it's been a project and still needs a lot more work. i posted a bit about it in the retrocomputer gaming thread.

getting it to work on a regular vga monitor is expensive, because it has a wacky horizontal sync and a no-longer-made 23-pin RGB connector.

oh it has composite, you say, i'll just make it work on a tv? haha most of the early chipsets can only display composite in black and white.

vampire kind of sidesteps those two problems (it has hdmi, right?) but it seems expensive.

the serial chips blow up when you hot-swap mice or keyboards so don't do that.

two things you need:
  • 15kHz-capable monitor (nec multisync) with a 23-pin rgb -> vga adapter
  • low expectations

things are dumb expensive though and i have no idea why. they made a bunch of a500s and that's all the amiga you need or want for games.

still better than the atari st, but that's a low bar.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 1, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

people keep giving me haggard amigas, and I pull the clock batteries off the board and fix all the corrosion that results. i think i like fixing them more than using them, because the euro-style "press up to jump" character platformers are some of the worst games on the planet.

I've got at least a year before that new case shows up, so I'm going to keep my eyes out for a 500 in rough shape and see if I can get the boards at least cleaned up. Are the old power supplies still any good, or should I plan on a new one?

Shaggar posted:

all I know about amigas is they were 3rd rate computers used primarily by furries.

Just noticed that a monitor I bid on is being sold by a guy with "fur" in his username. gently caress.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 1, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Dude just stop now, that was where I was a few weeks ago and now I'm bidding on 1084s monitor auctions. It's not a good path to be on.

Man I had one of those monitors. So many games too. Maybe I'll just grab the Amiga Forever emulator and call it done.

I blame Disney
Sep 30, 2016

They know what they did
computers ruined forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNR5vxAR22A

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

I've got at least a year before that new case shows up, so I'm going to keep my eyes out for a 500 in rough shape and see if I can get the boards at least cleaned up. Are the old power supplies still any good, or should I plan on a new one?

my a500 power supply is still good, the power supply that came with my a1200 is from an a600 and clicks if you plug it into the computer before you plug it into the wall, so i replaced it with some guy's new power supply off an amiga forum.

they're not as bad as the c64 power supplies which go crazy and melt the chips after a few decades of storage, but i would probably still test with a meter before plugging a new-to-you one in.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

thanks. you too can spend too much money and get one of these commodore watches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QeGuF53Lik

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
my dad had an st

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

still better than the atari st, but that's a low bar.

gently caress you :mad:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I remember being in a computer store before Egghead and Slothware Etc and this Amiga guy was constantly running Amiga games versus their ST versions

sad part was a lot of the time he picked ones where they didn't use jay miners fantastic blitter chips or whatever

he also delighted in running tragic sack or whatever the Mac emulator was and even tried to convince people they could do everything on the meega they needed under emulation

luckily commode-dore had management that couldn't make future decisions worth a poo poo and pc clones became the norm and now people run their 68040 boards or whatever and play faery tale adventure and bouncing polygon demos ad infinitim the way people collect Apple //es and marvel over stickybear bop and Aztec as the heights of their lives

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 2, 2018

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Luigi Thirty posted:

gently caress you :mad:
he;s right though

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the st was a piece of trahs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

no, Amiga was solidly second rate, Commodore had enough resources to design their own chipset

the Atari ST was the third rate computer which was practically just a 68K reference design, and shipped in versions without even a floppy drive

after all, the Atari ST not only had a text mode, it also had a cartridge port that it could boot from if you didn’t have a floppy drive, like something out of the 1970s

I have a VT102 emulator cartridge for mine

eschaton fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 2, 2018

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
When the books I write become cult classics I will tell nerds I wrote them in WordPerfect 4.1 on my Amiga just to screw with them.
Man I loved WordPerfect and I can’t even remember it :(

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

x-postin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxnyGPRgGqY

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Still waiting for the vampire A1200 so I can upgrade mine

I already have an Indivision AGA so you can hook it up to DVI monitors but it sucks because it only does 60hz so you don't get the famous amiga smooth scrolling in PAL games

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

eschaton posted:

no, Amiga was solidly second rate, Commodore had enough resources to design their own chipset
commodore didn't design poo poo, in fact jay miner did a lot of the work while he was still at atari

commodore as a company and the developers of the amiga had nothing to do with each other which is a big part of why their relationship was so antagonistic and why the amiga design got basically no real updates until 1992

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 2, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

commodore didn't design poo poo, in fact jay miner did a lot of the work while he was still at atari

commodore as a company and the developers of the amiga had nothing to do with each other which is a big part of why their relationship was so antagonistic and why the amiga design got basically no real updates until 1992

yeah sorry for my imprecision, I meant that Commodore had enough resources for Amiga to design their own chipset and then actually get bought by a company that could ship it to users rather than just disappear

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

eschaton posted:

Commodore had enough resources for Amiga to design their own chipset
well when they were their own company they were originally called hi-toro
:goonsay:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yeah and what would have happened if commodore hadn’t bought them?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I know there's nothing like the real thing but I downloaded WinUAE today and spent a few hours reliving my childhood. So many great games and I finally got to try that A1200 :)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

for some reason the Amiga that’s on the way to me is painted black

my hope is that it’s easy to strip and the paint’s preserved the original color

(I hope the board isn’t ruined by capacitor or battery leakage)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

which one did you get? most a500s have a clock card, but when the battery pops on those it just ruins the card and keeps the amiga from booting until you remove it (i am working on fixing mine because i gotta have that 512K).

the a600/a500+ seem to be the most hurt by batteries popping, and the a3000/a4000 is probably close to unrepairable so i got lucky.

clock batteries suck :(

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 2, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

eschaton posted:

Am I remembering wrong or did they actually make some black-case amigas?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

clone on the phone posted:

Am I remembering wrong or did they actually make some black-case amigas?
only the cdtv as far as I know

oh and this thing

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

haha what is that. You are right, I was thinking of the CDTV

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
escom's 1996 prototype for a "new" amiga based on the same old aga chipset that was obsolete on release four years earlier :thumbsup:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I have a video editor from 1995 that's a homemade amiga with a digital video card and a 16-bit sound card lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The 1084s I bid on ended up selling for drat near $500, aka the same price I paid for my 50" 4k tv. I think Amiga people might be too crazy for me, so mayhaps I will stick with the raspberry pi.

• Locked thread