Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh my God

Just... How could anyone say that

E: Read the whole thing, loving die in a fire Greer

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Germaine Greer just makes me think of a female Pierce Hawthorne but not funny.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

She's streets behind

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Beetphyxious posted:

Oh, it looks like someone is suffering from relevance deprivation syndrome.
The layers of irony here are more like an onion than a beet.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Missed you too cartoon

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Oh my God

Just... How could anyone say that

E: Read the whole thing, loving die in a fire Greer

She's getting on in her years and is probably losing it.

Someone needs to give her a cup of hot tea and a biscuit while she stares blankly into the rose garden humming a tune from 60 years ago.

Not me of course. Lets make that clear.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Ahh 2nd wave feminism is one hell of a drug

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What gets me is she somehow

A) Still gets listened too
B) Gets listed as a feminist

She hasn't been a feminist or relevant for a long time. It's like if Adam Bandt left the Greens tomorrow and turned into a Nazi while 40 years hence articles start with "Leftist Adam Bandt talked about..."

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

Ahh 2nd wave feminism is one hell of a drug

Don't confuse this nonsense with second wave feminism.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

What gets me is she somehow

A) Still gets listened too

Does she? She still gets airtime, but I think it's specifically because she causes controversy, not because anyone (or any large number of people, if people want to get pedantic) takes her seriously. I certainly don't know any feminists who seriously listen to her these days.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/SydneyLive2GB/status/1002417221342121984

Two are One Nation and the Liberal Democrats. I imagine the Australian Conservatives are in there too

Looking forward to the next season of The Bachelor where old school romantic Mark Latham is wooed by the four of the most eligible minor parties in the country

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Not germane.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Whitlam posted:

Does she? She still gets airtime, but I think it's specifically because she causes controversy, not because anyone (or any large number of people, if people want to get pedantic) takes her seriously. I certainly don't know any feminists who seriously listen to her these days.

When people, general people, think of feminist women they think of her. Its a similar issue i have with Melinda Tankard-Reist in that their identity means more than their actual philosophy being followed. Feminists know they're nonsense but the public believes these are the feminists.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Isn't that more because it suits those people's narrative to continue to lable her as a feminist.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Beetphyxious posted:

Isn't that more because it suits those people's narrative to continue to lable her as a feminist.

When people pursue identity politics labels are all they have.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

yes it's real.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I demand a rectal commission

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australian politics has hit rock

bottom.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like this issue needs a good deep looking into.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see the breakdown of the damages claim.

"When news I had a rectum broke out a woman in my presence fainted, breaking a tea cup valued at ten dollars. Also all the dogs started barking"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm sure the Arse will get to the bottom of this. Anidav will have to let us know what is happening down there.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brian where are my loving car keys?

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 2, 2018

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Nine Entertainment Co and Australian News Channel's Sky are joining forces to create the country’s first commercial free-to-air 24-hour business channel, in a move that will significantly bolster audience figures for the News Corp subsidiary.

The new show's operations will be based in Sydney and will hire a “number of new people”, sources close to the agreement say, but will also leverage Sky News and Nine’s existing current affairs and news teams. It will also be aired in its entirety on pay-TV platform Foxtel, which currently broadcasts Sky News and Sky Business.

It is understood the companies have plans to make a formal announcement in June, but have yet to decide on a name for the channel, which is considered a new brand for Sky.

There has long been speculation Sky has been attempting to move into free TV. In February, Fairfax Media reported that Sky had approached both Seven West Media and Nine about a broadcast deal to put some of its content on their digital channels.

The deal with Nine will provide Sky with exposure to most households nationally, compared to a third of homes on the Foxtel network.

This comes a week after Australian News Channel, which owns Sky News and its sister channel Sky News Business, signed a content agreement with WIN Network to broadcast Sky News content across its regional free-to-air TV network. This includes news, sport, weather and public affairs, with some live and time-shifted content.

WIN has a potential audience reach of more than eight million.

The bespoke channel called “Sky News on WIN”, on 83 on the regional network and 53 in northern NSW, will be broadcast into 29 markets across six states, including state-wide in Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory.

As part of the regional deal, Sky News is able to broadcast some WIN News content on pay-TV platform Foxtel.

At the time, Australian News Channel chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos described the agreement as “historic” for the company, and allowing “even more Australians” to watch Sky News channels. He flagged future announcements to come about unique content for regional residents.

Australian News Channel was previously owned equally between Seven, Nine and Murdoch-controlled British Sky Broadcasting before being taken over by Murdoch's News Corporation in late-2016.

Sky News and Nine declined to comment.

Keen for Andrew Bolt and Campbell Newman on Channel 9 24/7

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
Rectum? drat near killed his career!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Nine Entertainment Co and Australian News Channel's Sky are joining forces to create the country’s first commercial free-to-air 24-hour business channel, in a move that will significantly bolster audience figures for the News Corp subsidiary.

It's already been pointed out many times before by others but yeah, ABC 24, 2010. gently caress off article.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Business, not news.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

It's already been pointed out many times before by others but yeah, ABC 24, 2010. gently caress off article.

At least this one said 'commercial'.

I don't think Australians are really the same sort of market as America's fox news crew. The demographics that might be interested in this are almost certainly skewing towards seniors, people who can afford to buy shares in things and people who actively seek out things Andrew Bolt says, so I don't know if this is as terrible for the country as it could be.

If they'd done it 10 years ago we'd be bitching about President Latham in here though.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

One Nation's resurgence is the best of the anglosphere ethnonationalist resurgence

Latham failing laterally into the fold to look forward to, too

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Peccadillo posted:

One Nation's resurgence is the best of the anglosphere ethnonationalist resurgence

Latham failing laterally into the fold to look forward to, too

https://twitter.com/RealMarkLatham/status/1002420197116993536

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

JBP posted:

I demand a rectal commission

We already have a royal commission investigating arseholes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's sky business this time. They are trying to get the whole crew on free to air piece by piece.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

TV viewership is dropping in all age demographics except for the baby boomers so it's not going to be able to do that much damage anyway.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Are there stats on app demographic? I know people who use freeview

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beetphyxious posted:

TV viewership is dropping in all age demographics except for the baby boomers so it's not going to be able to do that much damage anyway.

I think someone's told them that if they're not on free to air they can't claim that ABC is killing their business. But it's not just general TV viewership, the paytv sector cannot grow. Another Murdoch unviable business kept afloat by kickbacks from political mates.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think they exclude catch-up in any form in traditional ratings and viewership. However analysis of catch-up services shows more people using paid services like Netflix over free catch up services.

(https://www.smh.com.au/technology/is-netflix-hurting-aussie-broadcasters-depends-who-you-ask-20160311-gngcvq.html)

Also I'd say viewing habits are different with catch-up than free to air. Arguably people aren't going to be using catch-up for a 24/7 news channel.

So let them waste their money to preach to their already captive and steadily decreasing boomer audience.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Catch-up TV is solely so you can put 5+ episodes of Hey Duggee on at a time to entertain the kids

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I had the Freeview app on my phone for a couple of minutes after getting a Chromecast. I don't know what I expected but it looked like 7/9/10 only had reality tv and sports there for catch-up. I just got the SBS and iView apps instead. If they ever show The Block 2018 (building was finished a month ago and still not even advertising it, presumably due to the market declines) I might reinstall because that show is my dirty shame.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Catch-up TV is solely so you can put 5+ episodes of Hey Duggee on at a time to entertain the kids

I got that poo poo localised, because it was actually being thrashed enough to affect my monthly quota when I had such a thing. Sonarr got that poo poo on lock.

iView is literally a saviour while out and about though. That poo poo can have ALL of my 4G download quota as far as I am concerned.

Right now it's all about episodes of Big Block Sing Song in the bath.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Is this real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Is this real?

the fact that it could be is what matters here