Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Everybody who knew anything at the time he was elected knew that Macron was sus as gently caress

This is why da libs love him though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

turning taht big ol racism dial

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

leftists are trained from birth to sacrifice their souls under the color of "pragmatism," to move right rather than left, and to blame themselves for the centrists natural affinity for far right doctrine.

if pragmatism and service to technocrats and moderates has brought us to this, then of what use is pragmatism?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

JordanKai posted:

Sure seems like that. I guess a lot of people agree with D66’s platform of “poor people are suffering the exact right amount.”

lesser of two evils thinking is one hell of a drug

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

who the hell votes that way in a multiparty, proportional system aarrrgh

ah, well in a multiparty, proportional system you have to be even more aware of making the less than evil choice because if you were to vote for the leftists, then all the rightwing voters would still vote rightwing and claim a proportionally larger number of the seats!

:suicide:

the real reason behind the reason is that neoliberalism has indoctrinated generations of people into accepting that not only are better things not possible, trying for better things is bad, and those who want things to be better have an outsized responsibility to make "pragmatic" compromises. Centrist/technocratic/moderate voters are already confident of the superiority of their pragmatic position and see making a pragmatic choice in supporting a leftwing candidate to be a betrayal of their position in exchange for nothing. Also, since they are the sensible adults in the room, it is the responsibility of everyone else to grow up.

Leftists betraying their positions in exchange for nothing is party plank, on the other hand.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Puppet Master posted:

"I would like a cabinet with VVD, D66, CDA and Volt. A good mix of liberal, progressive and conservative. Future-oriented and also here and now. Embracing Europe but at the same time moderate. Environmentally oriented but at the same time moderate. "

pragmatism is a brain disease

a mind totally destroyed by centrist fantasies. I am in awe of how sick and deluded a person must be to think like this.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Mar 18, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

The Danish Social Democrats seem to have found their wedge issue for the coming election. It's hijabs. Hijabs on schoolgirls, specifically, and compulsory "Danish childrearing" classes for "some" ethnic minority women. Don't concern yourself with the energy crisis or the fact that the Foreign Minister hosed a child, there's a culture war to win. MUSLIMS!!!

true to the tradition of social democrats everywhere

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

look, nothing they can do. it's entirely legal for a grown man and party official to gently caress a 15 year old at a party youth camp, so it would be extremely problematic to let it hamper his career

I know "youth outreach" is always a goal but this is ridiculous

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i'm going to predict further inability of neoliberalism to address the problems it has created followed by further "reforms" that make the problem worse with all of this happening prior to or during a period of liberals supporting more and more reactionary positions and politicians

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

germanweimarliberalwithhimposter.jpg

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Venomous posted:

sorry, did you say fascism? Because oh my God we're in for some loving fascism now!!!

the highest ideal of the liberal politician is to install literal fascists and call it a "sensible, moderate compromise"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Venomous posted:

ah yes, the Hindenburg Principle

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

my dad posted:

I'm back home and I'll be resting and stuff for a while before I'm back to posting, but just wanted to add that apparently ~2 days ago my government signed a "border security treaty" with Austria and Hungary, which is exactly what you think it'd be.

reforming the dual monarchy?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I think Macron in fact really, really liked raising the retirement age

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Peggotty posted:

I don't really know but it looks like it's making Americans angry so it's probably good

feel like I'm having a brain aneurism while reading this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

biden 2008 volunteer is incredibly perverse

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Venomous posted:

you ever get the impression that multi-party democracy just doesn't work

seems like it is doing exactly what it was supposed to do

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Will it be enough for the christian democrats to hold off AFD?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

my dad posted:

I'm still not sure how to feel about one of my fellow Dominions 6 playtesters being a guy who used to commission chibi art from Ben Garrison

you need to post the art. pronto.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

cigarettes ftw

during the clinton administration, I was playing an online game called "The Realm." While walking through a burnout town I commented in the public chat that someone must have dropped a cigar, because I was young and didn't know how to spell cigarette. Immediately someone in chat started to flip out thinking I was making a bill clinton reference

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

crepeface posted:

oh my god dexit would be even funnier than brexit has been

hon hon hon

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

poison gas popularized the toothbrush mustache, widely considered hilarious (e.g., Chaplin, Hitler), and yet its use was a war crime. without it, would the world be as funny?

lol forever that it is illegal to use poison gas on enemy soliders but entirely okay and legal to use on your own population

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s because tear gas would be banned as well, as it is in conventional war, and no state wants to give that up.

The US created all sorts of pretexts for their use of tear gas in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, but the general consensus is that where two signatories are at war, it’s way too dangerous to use CS gas.

power respects only power. I'm sure we used the poo poo out of it in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq since there was no one on the other side to gas our soliders right back.

Really brings lie to the "Iraq had chemical weapons" claim

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao danish navy accidentally fired off a harpoon missile

https://www.forsvaret.dk/da/nyheder/2024/fejl-pa-missil-lukker-skibstrafikken-i-storebalt/

e: i guess it hasnt fired yet but they set off its booster and cant figure out how to deactivate it lol

if the booster is solid fuel then there is no off switch lmao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

crepeface posted:

lol, norway really wants the EU to be poor, cold AND hungry

https://www.ft.com/content/90d977e6-ea05-4e49-a725-09234eecd147

industrial fertilizer manufacturing dates back to the later 19th century/early 20th century. Germany was very notable for having created a chemical industry out of nothing to make fertilizer, dyes, and explosives. BASF, for example, originally stood for "Baden Aniline and Soda Factory"

Europe shouldn't be having a problem with this

bedpan has issued a correction as of 15:28 on May 3, 2024

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

Europe shouldn't have a problem with lots of things, and yet

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Sweden dropping the kurds like a hot rock to join NATO is a good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'm very carefully drawing a line around the bit of turkey on the balkan peninsula so that turkey is not in europe