Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

twoday posted:

The American number is an annual estimate, the quarterly fall was also 10% or so

It is probably due to the fact that Belgium in general had a far more severe lockdown than the US, but then the US kind of just it keep ongoing indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think a lot of how the crisis evolved (compared to the current COVID response) was born out of a sense of confidence that the ECB/EU knew what it was doing through austerity measures. Greece was clearly being made an example of, but I do think most of the leaders who mattered actually thought a technocratic approach would work with the rest of southern Europe. I think they were actually shocked when bonds started rapidly devaluing and they had to borrow against the Euro anyway. It seems like the EU returned to more traditional Keynesianism for the time being.

I do think the Eurocrisis not only shook confidence in the Euro but actually began a growing divergence between Brussels and DC. This was compounded by the refugee crisis, Trump, and now the increasing economic weight of Eurasia.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If anything I would say American culture has been in a complete drought for more than a decade at this point. Honestly, even before the pandemic, nothing new was coming out except super hero films and the same tired pop subgenres. I would have said maybe before the 2000s there was an argument to be made for trend setting but American culture is completely a drift. Also, the US really only has pop culture to offer at this point (forget about fine art, literature, or poetry).

I would say the sad thing is because of our geopolitical domination that what call "culture" was imposed on the world and now the rest of the world (especially continental Europe) is now showing withdrawal symptoms as the supply finally ran out.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

oliwan posted:

This is totally wrong op, and I'm sorry you are so out of touch with current American cultural output. American film, and especially TV, is unbelievably high quality at the moment... if you think it's all superhero movies then you are missing out massively. Specifically black film/tv is unbelievably good at the moment. Like, look at people like Donald Glover, Jordan Peele, Ava DuVernay, Boots Riley, Barry Jenkins etc.

I have to be honest and say that I don't know much about the fine art situation, but I do know a lot about modern fiction, and saying that America is not producing good literature at the moment (whether that is prose, film, tv or poetry) is clueless

I think you are being too kind to the US here. There is a big difference in treatment between cultural output produced by African-Americans and the rest of white American society. If anything this goes back more than 100 years when Black Jazz musicians would frequently go to Europe because they were generally ignored at home outside the black community. I wouldn't say it is that extreme anymore, but it still isn't great.

It isn't a mark in the favor of the US.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah...the Brother's of Italy are pretty much the direct successors of Mussolini. Congratulations!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Norway also has a 1.3 trillion dollar oil fund that for some reason can never be tapped…

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think the best part was that the party that took power in 2021 was actually the social democrats replacing a center-right coalition.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Peggotty posted:

Doesn't really matter, the politics of SPD, CDU and Greens are completely indistinguishable at this point.

Not in terms of foreign policy...

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

actually, you can invade russia directly from lithuania

Yeah but it going to get you closer to Moscow. It is time for a second time of troubles! (which actually really did not work out for Poland… but most things don’t)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

I would say it is an effectively a cut on German’s part to its defense spending considering inflation and its current needs. It is simply that liberalism can’t seem to work this one out.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

actionjackson posted:

looking forward to the not just bikes video about how great the netherlands is now lol

The Dutch are just better than other humans...they have more bike lanes.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

the heat goes wrong posted:

Nord steam 2 is operational, its just no one wants to buy anything from them.

One of the Nord Steam 1 pipelines is potentially operational, the other 3 pipelines have big old holes in them. They are mothballed at this point.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, Europe is gradually fading to myth and legend. Did it even really exist....

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

Danish Ministry of Defense sat on classified reports for 13 years showing that its bombing missions killed civilians in Libya.

Thankfully, Gadaffii was killed and Libyan society collapsed on itself into civil war.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

The Danish government wants to spend an additional 40.5 billion DKK on defense over the next four years and expand conscription from 4 to 11 months and include women.

It seems like it was a poor idea to get rid of all their artillery then unless their plan was to radically depopulate themselves.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Under both Sweden and Russia, Finns had pretty much equal rights or greater rights than the rest of the population. Under the Swedes, Finns have the same voting rights as the rest of Sweden, and under the Russians, the Grand Dutchy was largely autonomous with its own parliament, and there was never serfdom. If they were colonies, it was mostly administrative in the sense they simply weren't independent.

You could argue the same for the Baltic SSRs, if anything a lot of Balts were doing better than the Russian factory workers that had been brought it, which they now mercilessly discriminate against.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Goddamnit, was hoping the prices for solar panels would go down a bit.

They will in everywhere else...

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

aha i knew leaving the EU was the right idea. I'm sure we'll be free to buy all the cheap panels just as soon as we finish spending billions ripping the Huawei equipment out

Sorry, I meant sovereign nations, not US federal territories and outlying islands.

Also, to be honest, panels with Xinjiang-constructed parts will be still be showing up in panels made elsewhere as well.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:54 on Apr 24, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A lot of it seems to be tied into the fall out of the Green/Liberal parties specifically...I wonder what that happened.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Mostly what's happening is the coalition government losing support. And the Left split, so what does that leave you with? if you look in Austria you have a party called Beer polling at 5%. Democracy isn't doing so hot.

The big rug pull of the last years not only have revealed centrist parties as cutouts for DC, but clearly there has been a declining quality of life in much of Europe without much of an outlet.

This has predictably lead to the further growth of the far-right, various leftist(ish) populist parties, and various joke/single issue parties.

Not only has the FPO and the Bier party, but also the KPO as well. The Netherland is only going more far-right as well ditto for France and Le Pen etc.

The blame is naturally on Putin/Russians but clearly the lack of any alternatives is fueling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The fact that Ukraine voted for Switzerland is pretty interesting.