Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Torrannor posted:

Edit for LP relevant content: I like that you can get these small conversation in this RPG like gameplay feature. Grinding supports to learn tidbits about your team was never really fun. Looking it up on Serenes is also not the same. Are there still supports in this game?

There are, but they're *far* more limited, with far fewer of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Torrannor posted:

Did the Emperor even know that she was his half-sister?
IIRC neither of them knew, though Deirdre might have known before she was mindwiped. Still a pretty loving hard sell for a major plot point in this day and age.

Torrannor posted:

Edit for LP relevant content: I like that you can get these small conversation in this RPG like gameplay feature. Grinding supports to learn tidbits about your team was never really fun. Looking it up on Serenes is also not the same. Are there still supports in this game?
They are, but they run on the Radiant formula where you only need to field the characters in the same chapter enough times, instead of having to keep them next to each other. Basically anyone you use semi-regularly will be at A support by endgame with no effort.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

Either I’m getting old or you’re getting better—and we both know I’m not old.

:swoon:

Mycen's pretty cool.

Weeble posted:

Alm here shares his voice with good ol' Nines.

"This thing's weird, Celica. Let's kill it."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

IIRC neither of them knew, though Deirdre might have known before she was mindwiped. Still a pretty loving hard sell for a major plot point in this day and age.

Plot has nothing to do with why I'm 100% certain they will remake Genealogy.

It's by far one of the top 3 most popular franchise in Japan, the Genealogy banner sold incredibly well in FE Heroes. Remaking Genealogy gives more avenue and exposure to bring the rest of the roster to Heroes to loop back.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

They are, but they run on the Radiant formula where you only need to field the characters in the same chapter enough times, instead of having to keep them next to each other. Basically anyone you use semi-regularly will be at A support by endgame with no effort.

This is only partly true, it's more of a fusion between the two systems. While all characters fielded on a map will gain points with whoever they can support with, they also gain points by fighting within support range of each other, and need to conduct the conversations while on the battlefield like in the GBA games, rather than from the menu. So, if there's a support you really want to grind up, just have them fight near each other for a few battles and they'll be maxed out in no time.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The half-siblings bit isn't even the worst part (it's the second worst), it's the "mindwiped" part. They may have obfuscated it with a bunch of magic :techno: but she was forced to have kids with a stranger against her will. I'm pretty sure that would be bad for Nintendo's brand image. They're more likely to remake Sword of Seals, if anything, because Smash Bros. fans fuckin' love Roy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i think it's also the case that you can't hit certain support levels until you get to a certain chapter

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Shadows of Valencia starts off really well. The additions they've made do a lot to improve everyone's characters.

Except for that movie of Alm killing Cecilia. That doesn't make me wonder what leads to that, because everyone knows nothing of the sort happened in Gaiden.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
So I actually ordered this earlier today just before finding this LP (I was going through the last few pages of the main FE thread) I'm
already glad that I ordered it though, I had heard they it had high production values but :drat:

Just the background in the screenshots of the kids models, and the couple of gifs of the changes to combat animations sold me on the whole thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

The half-siblings bit isn't even the worst part (it's the second worst), it's the "mindwiped" part. They may have obfuscated it with a bunch of magic :techno: but she was forced to have kids with a stranger against her will. I'm pretty sure that would be bad for Nintendo's brand image. They're more likely to remake Sword of Seals, if anything, because Smash Bros. fans fuckin' love Roy.

The devs also said they'd most wanted to remake Sword of Seals. Which makes sense. It's IS's first time out without Kaga, so they've learned a lot since then while keeping the nostalgia value, the prequel was the first game released in the US so there's some strong nostalgia value, it sold quite well... pretty long list.

They'd probably also add Lyn and Nino too, get some instant interest boosts not available to a 4 remake.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

chiasaur11 posted:

The devs also said they'd most wanted to remake Sword of Seals. Which makes sense. It's IS's first time out without Kaga, so they've learned a lot since then while keeping the nostalgia value, the prequel was the first game released in the US so there's some strong nostalgia value, it sold quite well... pretty long list.

They'd probably also add Lyn and Nino too, get some instant interest boosts not available to a 4 remake.

I think the main obstacle to Sword of Seals getting a remake is that the series sold poorly from Path of Radiance onward, until Awakening became the best-selling title in the franchise. I feel like Nintendo's current standing policy on FE might be "world map or GTFO". I'd like to see them try, if for no other reason than to get a game where Roy is (hopefully) good, but I'm not convinced they're going to bother.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I think a sword of seals remake would sell just fine considering it's the Fire Emblem game with Roy in it.

It'll sell based on the smash hype alone.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I think a sword of seals remake would sell just fine considering it's the Fire Emblem game with Roy in it.

It'll sell based on the smash hype alone.

That's what everyone thought about Shadow Dragon and Marth, which sold fewer copies than either of the GBA titles to get released internationally. New Mystery sold so poorly in Japan that it wasn't even translated. I mean, it's more likely they'll repeat that mistake than do FE4, but the most likely remake is probably Sacred Stones, since it's already pretty close to the formula that's making them lots of money.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SoV sold well, and Fire Emblem is at a point where they're getting their own Directs. Fire Emblem Warriors sold 1 million copies. FE Heroes is by a mile Nintendo's most profitable mobile game.

Where the franchise was 8 years ago and where it is today are two completely different places.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

EclecticTastes posted:

That's what everyone thought about Shadow Dragon and Marth, which sold fewer copies than either of the GBA titles to get released internationally. New Mystery sold so poorly in Japan that it wasn't even translated. I mean, it's more likely they'll repeat that mistake than do FE4, but the most likely remake is probably Sacred Stones, since it's already pretty close to the formula that's making them lots of money.

New Mystery sold fine for what it was. It didn't get translated because it came out right at the end of the DS' lifespan and by the time localization was done the 3DS would have been out

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Tae posted:

SoV sold well, and Fire Emblem is at a point where they're getting their own Directs. Fire Emblem Warriors sold 1 million copies. FE Heroes is by a mile Nintendo's most profitable mobile game.

Where the franchise was 8 years ago and where it is today are two completely different places.

Echoes only proves my point. The Fire Emblem games that are selling are the open ones with the world maps and level grinding. Birthright even outsold Conquest, even though Arthur was objectively the best character in Fates. Echoes was an edge case where both old and new fans of the series could be courted simultaneously (it's an old title, but many of the core mechanics are present in the recent games). I'm curious what you think there actually is to be gained in a nostalgia piece aimed primarily at the older fans, who are provably in the minority, when those same resources could be used to make something the new fans want and that the older fans would buy anyway.

That's why I say Sacred Stones is a maybe, because, like Gaiden, it has a world map, level grinding (thus a way to work in DLC), etc. Like, how would you work DLC into a remake of Sword of Seals? What incentive would there be to bother with it when the experience is wholly linear and finite? Why should they worry about getting people to buy old characters in Heroes that are already selling okay when they could make a whole new cast? You can't assume that just because one thing with a franchise label sold well, that a significantly different* product with the same label will sell similarly. I don't really want this to spiral into a massive derail, but I think it's important to analyze why something is selling, and not just taking those sales for granted.

*Yes, it's significantly different. The core gameplay loop for Awakening, Fates (aside from Conquest sans DLC), and Echoes is much more like Final Fantasy Tactics than it is older Fire Emblems. Mainly because it's a loop in the first place. When you beat the old FEs, that was it, you either start over or move on. In the last three games, you get to go back in, grind up levels, try to get perfect stats on everyone, fight bonus bosses, hunt for rare weapons, gain skills, all the stuff that used to be considered the domain of FFT and its ilk. It's a different experience.

cheetah7071 posted:

New Mystery sold fine for what it was. It didn't get translated because it came out right at the end of the DS' lifespan and by the time localization was done the 3DS would have been out

Sales were down from Shadow Dragon, and were low enough that Nintendo threatened to cancel the series entirely if Awakening didn't outsell it.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 6, 2018

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Shadow Dragon and New Mystery have the added downside of very ugly looking graphics and being 100% true to the original games. Shadow of Valentia goes for a balancing act, retaining the old mechanics while adding in new content to freshen things up, ranging from new characters to DLC content that actually does add to the story of the game.

Plus, like Tae said, Fire Emblem has now gone from one-foot-in-the-grave (around the time of Shadow Dragon's release) to one of Nintendo's top A-listers (around the time of SoV's release). Nintendo actually is putting its full force behind the franchise as opposed to letting it flounder on external hype/second-hand marketing like Smash Bros. to move products. So, if they remade either Genealogy or Binding Blade, there would be a substantial marketing campaign behind it now. Couple that with both Sigurd* and Roy's popularity, and the only way those games would be bad is if the developers deliberately tanked in order to piss people off.

*=Genealogy held the title of most units sold prior to Awakening, plus Sigurd's addition to Heroes resulted in a massive spike in downloads of the game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FE made its faustian deal with anime and mobile games satan and they came through for once.

Much to my constant groaning and bellyaching about where the series is heading story and style wise.

Oh and the only way they should make a sword of seals remake is by including Rekka no Ken as a gen 1 sort of thing. Since people seem to be really into breeding supremely powerful child soldiers.

Imo Rekka's final boss of 'just a dragon, yo' would probably get played around with. It really should have been dragon THEN Nergal.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 6, 2018

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

AradoBalanga posted:

the only way those games would be bad is if the developers deliberately tanked in order to piss people off.

speaking of which i heard that there was a contingent of insane kaga diehards who insisted that intsys was deliberately botching this game just to ruin kaga's legacy

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

FE made its faustian deal with anime and mobile games satan and they came through for once.

Much to my constant groaning and bellyaching about where the series is heading story and style wise.

:same:

Oh and the only way they should make a sword of seals remake is by including Rekka no Ken as a gen 1 sort of thing. Since people seem to be really into breeding supremely powerful child soldiers.

I'll admit, I have entirely too much fun working out matrices of which characters make the best pairings without screwing over any of the other child characters. I even did the math for FE4 by hand, way back in senior year of high school, before I knew about SerenesForest.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

AradoBalanga posted:

Shadow Dragon and New Mystery have the added downside of very ugly looking graphics and being 100% true to the original games. Shadow of Valentia goes for a balancing act, retaining the old mechanics while adding in new content to freshen things up, ranging from new characters to DLC content that actually does add to the story of the game.

Shadow Dragon wasn't totally faithful to the original. But it wasn't entirely unfaithful, either. Rather, it was a game that didn't know WHAT the heck it wanted to be. It didn't know whether or not it wanted to be modernized, or whether or not it wanted to be "just like the old days".

Hence, the game designers forced modern mechanics (like the Weapon Triangle) into a game whose units and maps were never made to accomodate them. Then they neglected to address most of the problems that come from that.

Shadow Dragon's problem wasn't that it was "too faithful". Shadow Dragon's problem was that it was carelessly thrown together :( .

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 6, 2018

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Indeed. If you want to see what that deal has resulted in, look no further than Reinhardt, who went from a minor(ish) recurring antagonist in Thracia 776 into one of Heroes' most devastating units to face. Heroes has skyrocketed him to fame that probably no other characters in the series (barring the already popular/well-known ones) have ever experienced. And all due to the fact that he can run a train through almost the entire cast (as of this posting) with little effort and some small investments.

Watching Reinhardt get punched in the face by my dedicated counters to him is still satisfying, though. One of them is even from this game, no less.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ramming to War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9Wz5MO4CI

*sighs*
Lukas! Were you able to speak with my grandfather? What did he say?
He said no. Sir Mycen made it clear he has no intention of joining the Deliverance.
What?
But he’s ridiculously strong! He could defeat some stuffy chancellor with his eyes closed!
Why would he refuse when so many people are suffering?

I’ll have to return to our hideout and bring Sir Clive the ill news.
Perhaps Mycen has simply grown too old for the battlefield.
……!

You better be hoping Mycen didn't hear that if you want your face in one piece.

It was good meeting you, Alm. I must be on my way. Thank you again for your assistance. *Leaves*
He’s not old… He’s tougher than men half his age!

*Alm runs back to the village entrance*

Lukas, wait!
Alm? What is it?

Music: Uprising

I’ll go. I’ll join the Deliverance.
You?
Alm, what the hell?! You can’t do that!
…Wait. CAN he do that?

I’ll admit, you fight like a beast and they’d be lucky to have your sword,
But this isn’t sparring with your gramps, Alm. You’re volunteering to go to war!
I know what it is. And if Grandfather won’t do it, then I’ll do it for him. Consider my sword as his.
Alm, I understand how you feel, but—

I’ve received tutelage in military tactics, medicine, weather, terrain… I know as much about war as any man who has never seen one can.
Let me fight for you with my grandfather’s gifts. I’ll prove he’s no cowardly old man. He’s a warrior who trains warriors.
Hmm… That might just work.
Huh? Then you mean…!

Why not? Alm presents a good case. He has a hero’s blood in him. …And clearly a hero’s fire. His presence is sure to raise the troops’ morale.
And for my part, I’m curious to see what a self-proclaimed warrior can do. Especially now that he’ll be doing it for the Deliverance.
Thank you, Lukas… You won’t regret this!

Alm, you should back out of this. It’s far too dangerous!
If anything were to happen to you, I’d… I mean… Just don’t do it, okay?!
I’m sorry, Faye, but I’ve made up my mind.
But…maybe all of you could come with me?
Er, what?
Splendid idea. Maybe we could all get impaled on the same lance.
I’m just saying we could do it together.
…Fighting, I mean. Not the lance. Grandfather trained all of us, right? Not just me. You already know how to use a sword and a bow. So what’s the problem?
Alm, are you insane? We were sparring with wooden fences and tree trunks! They don’t hit back!

Gray! Not you too?!
Me too, Tobi-poo.
It’s better than waiting for Rigel to reach Ram and kill/enslave us. Might as well bring the fight to them.
But you’re gonna— I mean, once they— …Ugggh!
You have my thanks, Gray. And the Deliverance welcomes you. In the end, we need every able fighter we can get.
There will be much to learn, but I can teach you a great deal in battle. And you’ll be given a proper wage, of course.

Of course. Our soldiers work hard and sacrifice much. We would be remiss not to offer compensation.
I’ve got little brothers and sisters who could use that gold…
Ma and Pa struggle to make ends meet, but if there’s a way to help…Hmm…
Tobin, you don’t have to go if you don’t want to. Why don’t you all take a little time to think about it? Let’s split up for now and meet back here later. I need to go thank my grandfather and say good-bye.

The final moments of Ram Village solitude for Alm is coming to an end. But let's observe the surroundings first.

Watchtower-This tower is so guards can look out for anything suspicious coming our way.

Arrow stuck in sandbags-Tobin must have been using this place for archery practice.

Barricade-This isn't much of a fence, but it still keeps mounted bandits away.

Broken Fence-Gray and I might have gotten a liiiiiittle carried away during sword practice....

The comments give a little hint on what they should specialize. Tobin as an archer, Kliff as a mage, and Gray as a swordsman.

Take all the time you need, Alm. You should pay your respects to Sir Mycen.

*Alm runs back to Mycen's house*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e7a3mTwWrA

Do you have a minute? There’s something I need to speak with you about…
…Grandfather? Hmm, where is he?
Grandfather…? Grandfather!

*Alm walks back to the town square*

My word. Can you believe it? The king—murdered!
What do you suppose happens now? He has no heirs, you know. Not anymore, I mean. They say Chancellor Desaix himself murdered all of ’em in cold blood!
Anyway, hope this “Deliverance” knows who they’ll be delivering to that throne.

Alm, is it true you’re leaving the village? You’ll be sorely missed.
Just be careful, hear? The woods outside Ram are dangerous enough… but once you’re through them, you’ll hit Fleecer’s Forest. The place is crawling with brigands. No one gets through that wood alive…

I heard what the knight said, but it sounds like a load of horse plop to me. Everyone knows it’s Zofia’s fault that Rigel invaded in the first place. King Lima refused to help the Rigelian Empire during their famine, remember?
And we all know the emperor didn’t take too kindly to THAT little slight.
Such a shame. The kingdom and the empire had been getting along so well. The king may be dead, but his choices live on. Ain’t that always the way of it?

*Alm moves on back to the village entrance*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkxZwxkWwE

Tobin! Does this mean you’re coming with us?
Sure am! I could tell Ma and Pa were worried, but I think they’ll understand.
Listen, everyone, try not to be amazed when I show Alm up on the battlefield.
You know they don’t pay extra for that, right, moneybags?

We don’t have any rule stating one’s reasons must be noble.
Now then, Alm. Were you able to say good-bye to your grandfather?
I tried, but…I couldn’t find him.
Well, that IS vexing. I suppose we could tarry here a bit longer if you—
It’s all right. Let’s go.
Oh? Are you certain?
I can write him a letter. Come on, we can’t wait forever.
So be it. I’ll defer to your judgment.

Lukas, Gray, and Tobin join the party. Now we could technically leave now buuut there's no harm in more numbers..

Recruits Faye

I’m coming too! I’m staying with you no matter what! End! Of! Discussion!

Recruits Kliff

You know, I guess I don’t mind going along. The Deliverance is fighting all across Zofia, right?
Well, I’ve always wanted to see the world, and now’s my chance.
…All I have to do is not get killed. Easy, right?

Time to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBrYmqNbsak

Am I sure about what?
Not saying good-bye to your grandfather.
My ma and pa have all my brothers and sisters to look after them. I mean, sure, they’ll miss me— or I hope they will, at any rate—
But family will help them get by, you know? But all Sir Mycen has for kin is you, and all you have is him.
I know. But considering he’s never let me take one step outside the village, I doubt I could have talked him into letting me join an army.
Not that it would have changed things either way—I HAVE to go. Not just to prove him as a teacher, but to prove myself to me.
Well, you’ve always wanted to put Ram behind you, right?
graylaugh: This is your big chance! Your first adventure writ large!

Heh. I don’t think so. Although I admit there might be a little something to what you’re saying. It’s almost as if I feel someone calling out to me.
…So you really have gone crazy then. Welp, it’s been nice knowin’ ya!
Heh. Look, I know how it sounds. But it’s the truth.
Do you think it’s Celica?
What? Celica?
Where the heck did THAT come from?
Oh, please. You two were inseparable while she was here.
You barely made any time for us!
I guess that’s true…

Music: Fate

Celica, are you the one who’s been calling me? I know that you’re out there… I just don’t know where.
But I can feel it. I hope this journey will bring us together again…

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

The comments give a little hint on what they should specialize. Tobin as an archer, Kliff as a mage, and Gray as a swordsman.

:argh: Never! :argh: MercKliff and mageGray 4life, no flavour text's gonna be the boss of me.

(Tobin can just do whatever, no one cares about Tobin.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

quote:

Splendid idea. Maybe we could all get impaled on the same lance.
THIS LINE.

I laugh at it every time I hear it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Tae posted:

Eh...the thing with archers is that you already get a decent one in Python. Mercenaries and Mages, on the other hand, Alm doesn't get until Act 3. IMO, the best choice is to just make two mages and one merc.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Eh...the thing with archers is that you already get a decent one in Python. Mercenaries and Mages, on the other hand, Alm doesn't get until Act 3. IMO, the best choice is to just make two mages and one merc.

The caveat here though is that archers are REALLY GODDAMN GOOD in this game, so having multiple isn't really a bad thing. And Alm, as a tanky swordlord, fills in pretty well for a frontline slot.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

By returning to the oldschool unified Attack stat rather than the Strength/Magic split from most of the series, it's actually 100% feasible to run any of Alm's buddies as basically any class. It's also worth discussing how characters got changed between Gaiden and Echoes, because, like the other remakes, there was significant fiddling with stat growths because the original games didn't do it particularly well. The first thing to note is that everyone got an across-the-board increase because old FE had very poor growths (though, Echoes still has pretty low growths, compared to other Fire Emblems), so I'll mostly be talking about how certain characters' growths changed relative to the other characters.

Alm: Alm's growths are among the best in the game, regardless of which one you're looking at. His spread's balance has remained consistent, with tons of HP, as well as great Strength, Skill, and Defense. His Speed might lag slightly if you're unlucky, but it's not a bad growth at all, while his Luck is only so-so. However, with the rest of the cast improved in Echoes, Alm's advantages are less pronounced. All Resistance growths in Echoes are in the single digits (and flat zeros for everyone in Gaiden), but Alm has a respectable 3%.

Faye: Faye is actually new in Echoes, and it's generally assumed based on certain gameplay elements she's mainly intended to be a Cleric, though her presence also gives you a female character capable of choosing a class the way Gray, Tobin, and Kliff can (and her appearances in Heroes and the Cipher card game have in pretty much every class but Cleric). Her stats aren't really impressive, reinforcing that she might be better standing in the back throwing heals around, but her two decent stats are Defense and Attack, so she's far from helpless. She's also got Resistance growth equal to Alm.

Gray: Gray's Attack and HP were solid in Gaiden, but the rest of his stats were pretty lame. In Echoes, he's improved vastly in that regard, but he's still pretty middling in every growth. Of course, the RNG can go both ways on someone with growths like his, and he can end up surprising you, but he's best in a three-stage class. He, Tobin, and Kliff all boast exactly zero Resistance growth, something relatively uncommon in Echoes.

Tobin: Tobin's only real growth in Gaiden was Skill (and Luck, but who cares), he couldn't be counted on to gain much else consistently. In Echoes, he's actually fairly good. Skill remains his best stat by far, but his other stats got a much-needed boost. He'll never be very fast, but if you're lucky, he'll gain enough Attack to be useful, though, like Gray, he's better off in a three-stage class.

Kliff: In Gaiden, this guy was a god compared to most units. His HP, Skill, Speed, and Defense growths were excellent, and while his Attack lagged, he was a low-level Villager, so he had tons of time to make up the difference, and he was still stronger than Tobin. Echoes corrects this mainly by bringing the rest of the cast up to his level, but he also eats one of the few nerfs of the game, getting his HP growth slashed from a whopping 50 down to 35, though his Attack, Skill, and Speed went up a bit (he's the fastest person from Ram Village). It's also worth noting that in Echoes, he and Faye are the only ones with a useful amount of base Resistance, Kliff having a respectable 8 and Faye having a more moderate 6.

Lukas: Of the initial group Alm leads, Lukas is easily the most improved. His growths were much like Tobin's in Gaiden, but as a Soldier rather than a Villager, meaning he had far less time to actually gain stats. In Echoes, his growths were improved, and while his total growths aren't really any better than the rest of the Ram Village crew, just having numbers above 30 makes his higher starting level much less of an issue. Further, he has a 2% Resistance growth, which is about average for this game. Once he's gained a few levels and his defense starts to take off, he becomes a fantastic wall for your team.

By the way, not to say too much, but due to the way magic works in Gaiden/Echoes, only certain characters are actually any good in each magic class. Faye can do well in either, but has a distinct advantage as well as a unique role as Cleric, while Kliff is clearly meant to be a Mage. Gray and Tobin aren't terrible as Mages, and Tobin even has a bit of a unique niche if you take him down that path, but the game makes it clear that they're also not really "meant" to be doing that. It ends up feeling kind of passive-aggressive on the part of the game. "Oh, you want to make Faye a Pegasus Knight? Yeah, sure, go ahead, if you want to miss out on some really useful stuff that literally only she can get as a Cleric. You're totally free to screw yourself out of that totally awesome stuff that you can't get in any other way."

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I made Faye a peggle knight, and she's pretty much my go-to for killing that high value target dead.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
You all say Tobin has really good skill; that he excels as an Archer...

My ArcherTobin ended the game with single digit Skill.

Well, not really, but only because of Overclassing and the Star Jacinth.

Even then, it was close. He was a complete disappointment.

Kliff is an excellent Mage, yes. Gray going down the Merc line, also good.

Faye absolutely MUST become a healer.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Kliff: In Gaiden, this guy was a god compared to most units. His HP, Skill, Speed, and Defense growths were excellent, and while his Attack lagged, he was a low-level Villager, so he had tons of time to make up the difference, and he was still stronger than Tobin. Echoes corrects this mainly by bringing the rest of the cast up to his level, but he also eats one of the few nerfs of the game, getting his HP growth slashed from a whopping 50 down to 35, though his Attack, Skill, and Speed went up a bit (he's the fastest person from Ram Village). It's also worth noting that in Echoes, he and Faye are the only ones with a useful amount of base Resistance, Kliff having a respectable 8 and Faye having a more moderate 6.
Kliff has another unique thing going for him: he is the only male mage to learn 6 spells in the entire game, and can gain a 7th spell with a DLC overclass. All other male mages cap out at 5 or less spells (6 or less with the aforementioned DLC). Again, the game really, really wants you to make Kliff into Alm's first mage, all but outright having Kliff say "Hey, I'm good with magic. Let me be a mage." to the player.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

The caveat here though is that archers are REALLY GODDAMN GOOD in this game

what kind of bizarro hell Fire Emblem is this

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Everyone's good on the merc line. It's a very strong class. The main flaw is getting in each others' way.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 6, 2018

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Weeble posted:

You all say Tobin has really good skill; that he excels as an Archer...

My ArcherTobin ended the game with single digit Skill.

Well, not really, but only because of Overclassing and the Star Jacinth.

Even then, it was close. He was a complete disappointment.

The RNG is a cruel and fickle god. Tobin's Skill growth is 50%, which is very high by Echoes standards, but it's always possible to get completely screwed, or totally blessed. Despite his mediocre growths, my Gray's stats are crazy high, for instance.

Straight White Shark posted:

what kind of bizarro hell Fire Emblem is this

Archers can counter at melee range in Echoes, and Snipers get +2 range with every bow.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Resistance being non-existent in this game is, uh, fun

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

"Oh, you want to make Faye a Pegasus Knight? Yeah, sure, go ahead, if you want to miss out on some really useful stuff that literally only she can get as a Cleric. You're totally free to screw yourself out of that totally awesome stuff that you can't get in any other way."

I did this. I made Faye a Pegasus Knight.

:negative:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Important notes to keep in mind:

1) Archers can counter in melee range in Echoes. This alone makes them wonderfully more powerful than literally every other Fire Emblem game. Plus, they get absurdly ridiculous attack ranges late-game.

2) The Mercenary line, when combined with potential level grinding, is the only class line in the game with infinite levels. This is because their final promoted form is able to "promote" back into a Villager. Due to the way the different classes and promotions work in Echoes, there are almost zero downsides to doing this.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Alm: Alm's growths are among the best in the game, regardless of which one you're looking at. His spread's balance has remained consistent, with tons of HP, as well as great Strength, Skill, and Defense. His Speed might lag slightly if you're unlucky, but it's not a bad growth at all, while his Luck is only so-so. However, with the rest of the cast improved in Echoes, Alm's advantages are less pronounced. All Resistance growths in Echoes are in the single digits (and flat zeros for everyone in Gaiden), but Alm has a respectable 3%.

Aye...I really wish that Gaiden LP of mine had come to fruition...all this talk makes me want to sperg out like no tomorrow!!

*ahem*...Anyway, I'd actually say Alm is MORE overpowered than he was in Echoes...but explaining why would require yet another :spergin: post from me. You all don't mind, do you?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wouldn't mind, except if it goes into spoiler territory, like if he's secretly the prince of Rigel or something like that, and get's his overpoweredness from such story related perks. If it's a pure mechanical thing, like the units he's good against being fairly common in the game while the units he's weal against, then I wouldn't mind being spoiler.

Edit: But if Tae wants to make a mechanics update later in the LP, then we could also discuss it at that time.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 6, 2018

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Aye...I really wish that Gaiden LP of mine had come to fruition...all this talk makes me want to sperg out like no tomorrow!!

*ahem*...Anyway, I'd actually say Alm is MORE overpowered than he was in Echoes...but explaining why would require yet another :spergin: post from me. You all don't mind, do you?

Oh, yeah, he absolutely breaks Echoes right in half, but I'd argue that there are quite a few characters capable of that, whereas in Gaiden he was one of maybe five characters, tops, who had anything resembling a normal FE character's growth rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I did this. I made Faye a Pegasus Knight.

:negative:
Look, if you're playing Fire Emblem purely for optimization and not to have MAXIMUM PEGGLE KNIGHTS for at least one run then you're missing out.

Anyone can take the optimal route. It takes a dedicated player to field only the most adorable death machines and tell the stats to go gently caress themselves.

Please do not ask how frequently I had to use the turnwheel I just wanted to crush the enemies with cute (and very bloodthirsty in some cases) ladies

Also curious to see how your units turn out, Tae. I had some units turn out insanely lovely. Like, below average on all stats somehow.

• Locked thread