Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I preffer mage Tobin, he’ll peak early and stays relevant longer, then can be relegated to support duties later. As an archer he’ll just plink away at things uselesly until you get killer bows - but by that time he’ll be behind on xp so you should have better options for them.

While I enjoyed echoes it was mainly for the story, found the gameplay just a bit too simplistic and samey compared to awakening and fates - I actually like the customization and child mechanics, thought they just needed better story integration (like an actual time skip, maybe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I haven't even gotten into a proper battle yet...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Very true. I'm looking forward to seeing an actual battle. And the now grown up models of our characters.

Do weapons still have a limited number of uses?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

2) The Mercenary line, when combined with potential level grinding, is the only class line in the game with infinite levels. This is because their final promoted form is able to "promote" back into a Villager. Due to the way the different classes and promotions work in Echoes, there are almost zero downsides to doing this.

Hahaha, they kept that from Gaiden? Nice.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Torrannor posted:

Very true. I'm looking forward to seeing an actual battle. And the now grown up models of our characters.

Do weapons still have a limited number of uses?

They do not. Because characters only get one item slot, and other mechanics that'll be shown later, weapons don't degrade. You can kinda glean this through the UI in the tutorial battle, Celica's Gold Dagger doesn't have a durability counter, not even dashes representing infinite uses.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tae posted:

Alm, what the hell?! You can’t do that!
…Wait. CAN he do that?
This game has some superb delivery and timing, and this line always gets a good chuckle out of me.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

McTimmy posted:

Hahaha, they kept that from Gaiden? Nice.

Not only that, but DLC gave players access to... I think a total of 3 items called a "Pitchfork" which could turn ANY non-main-character in the game back into a Villager, even if they never were one in the first place. If one is feeling Grindy, this could indeed be used to send them for a cycle or two of the Mercenary line, then back to Villager to go back to their normal class.

SilverFox442
Feb 23, 2017
Ah, Shadows of Valentia. This was quite a breath of fresh air after Fates, ironic considering it’s the remake of an NES game that released just over a week before my first birthday. The effort they put in to the production of it is really what sold me the most, I think, from the full voice acting, to actually trying to do real world building with the setting, and how it expanded on the areas and story of the original.

It really did quite a bit to restore some of my hope for the franchise going forward. Not all of it, but some.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

We can still see the gates

*Pans to the nearest fortress*

Desaix’s men hold it for now, but my fellows in the Deliverance have been fighting to reclaim it. The Deliverance hideout lies beyond the outpost.
We’d best prepare ourselves for a long journey.

Fire Emblem Gaiden was the first game in the franchise to have an overworld, as you travel from node to node with unlimited grinding. Battles in the game are more like skirmishes than full, custom-made levels like most of the games have evolved to.

Ignore Rating, it just shows the total of the stats in the army which means nothing.

The bottom screen shows the node you're currently in, as well as have indicators of any sidequests are active. The Ram Wine quest is currently on.

Time for the first official fight.

Ram Woods Battle

*As Alm's party leave the village, bandits arrive*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqyMGNOEXHs

Music: The Incorrigible

These here woods belong to me and my boys, see?
So if ya wanna be passin’ through, yer gonna have to pay the toll. Ha ha!
Well. That didn’t take long.
Brigands already? But it’s only been minutes—we’re still within sight of the gates!
Worse surprises than this await us, Alm. Is everyone ready?
...Yes.
Come on, let’s clear this rabble out!

Player Phase Music: March to Deliverance (Prologue)

Alm, if I may? You mustn’t rush headlong into battles on your own.
Without experience, your friends will never grow into accomplished fighters. Trust them. Give them something to do.
…At least let them deal the final blow.

The last advice is a little on-the-nose as far as leveling your weaker characters.

Right. That’s good advice. I’ll give it a try!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdOhi4XduWc

Those catch phrases will be imprinted in your brain by the end of a playthrough.

Alm by far is the best unit on the team, despite Luka's veteran experience. Gray is closely third, followed by Tobin. Kliff and Faye are the least viable units, though that makes sense since they're the only ones you have to recruit manually.

Some of the characters have food equipped like Bread. For combat purposes, they're just healing items for 10 HP right now.

The stats I'll dive deeper on a later update, because Gaiden and SoV calculate the numbers very differently than most games, including having a minimum 1 damage taken no matter the defense. That means Lukas can have 10,000 defense but a basic Brigand still deals chip damage.

The Brigands aren't bad here, since even Faye and Kliff can't get doubled by them.

A major departure of SoV is the lack of triangle advantage. We will never have an axe user, nor does it matter because swords and lances are neutral against them. It is the purest numbers game in a long while.

The lessons from the cemetery fight still apply. Stay in cover whenever you can, to reap those sweet 40% dodge bonuses.

Enemy Battle Music: The Fiend's Rapture

Alm does a fancy backflip for this counter attacks.

Dodging attacks isn't just a player thing. Enemies will also have neat defensive animations as well.

Also, seriously Lukas? You missed on a 92%?

Player Battle Music: The Dauntless Blade

Only makes sense that attacks started by the player is them running in, since that's how you naturally approach most battles.

Lukas, Alm, and Gray's job are to weaken the Brigands enough so that the others get the massive kill bonus experience for the finishing blow.

Here's the Villager counterattack animation.

And Alm finishes the battle. Battles honestly aren't going to be too in-depth since a majority of the maps are open-field with little gimmicks involved.

A victory screen will inform who killed what, and then extra survival EXP will be given to party members. So even party members that barely did anything will eventually level up.

After the battle

That was some fine swordsmanship, Alm. I can see you have more than a bit of your grandfather in you.
You think so?

Party Overview

Alm

HP-60
Atk-50
SKL-55
SPD-45
LCK-35
DEF-50
RES-3

To say that Alm is arguably the strongest physical fighter is an understatement. His starting stats are high, his growths are among the best in the game, and he gets unique access to powerful weapons much easier than other party members.

The resistance is not a typo. Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia did not care about magic resistance to non-mages.

Lukas

HP-50
Atk-40
SKL-40
SPD-25
LCK-30
DEF-45
RES-2

Lukas is a decent fighter, but his main flaw has to do with his incredibly low speed and being in a bad class. Soldier is the Gaiden's Knight line of the franchise, being stuck at the lowest movement and speed modifier.

Combined with the general low resistance growth among physical fighters, and he crumples like wet toilet paper against magic...and honestly, many endgame enemies since he'll always be doubled.

Gray

HP-45
Atk-40
SKL-30
SPD-30
LCK-25
DEF-25
RES-0

Tobin

HP-40
Atk-30
SKL-50
SPD-25
LCK-30
DEF-30
RES-0

Kliff

HP-35
Atk-30
SKL-45
SPD-60
LCK-20
DEF-40
RES-0

Faye

HP-40
Atk-40
SKL-30
SPD-30
LCK-30
DEF-40
RES-3

Alm's village comrades will be talked about in-depth in the future, since class changing will be covered and the kids aren't staying in the Villager class for long.

Tae fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 8, 2018

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
did the one-number RNG come back for echoes because it sure felt that way throughout my own playthrough

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The attack animations are cool. It looks more natural that they start the fight in motion, a nice feature. I've never really thought about what vulnerary's really are, having them replaced with food items makes sense.

So I guess you can just travel between those story battles and do skirmishes as much as you like? That's not a bad way to enable the player to grind if they want to.

On one hand it's nice to see the village as you transition into the first battle, on the other hand I wonder what Mycen and Alm were doing all day if they allowed brigands to set up shop no more than 5 minutes walking time away from their home.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Torrannor posted:

So I guess you can just travel between those story battles and do skirmishes as much as you like? That's not a bad way to enable the player to grind if they want to.

Kind of? It's not necessarily quite as simple as that. Wait and see.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Holy wow this is a pretty game. It's like eyewash after FE11 and FE12.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Torrannor posted:

The attack animations are cool. It looks more natural that they start the fight in motion, a nice feature. I've never really thought about what vulnerary's really are, having them replaced with food items makes sense.

On one hand it's nice to see the village as you transition into the first battle, on the other hand I wonder what Mycen and Alm were doing all day if they allowed brigands to set up shop no more than 5 minutes walking time away from their home.

When Mycen says don't leave the village, you do NOT leave the village!

Generally map battles stay gone when cleared (with a couple of exceptions) but there are other places where one can grind and another map mechanic will come up later. Maybe not until next chapter, I can't recall.

And yeah the animations are great. I love how the dodges just flow into a follow-up attack, the old sprites were great for their day but the clunkiness of "okay, your turn" was apparent.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

One thing I like about Alm is that he has a unique trait that sets him apart from the other Lords/main characters in the franchise: he's left-handed. A lot of the protagonists in Fire Emblem really do blur together after a while in terms of personality, so having a lead that employs something to stand out from the crowd outside of a different attitude or different hair color is a refreshing change.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

One thing I like about Alm is that he has a unique trait that sets him apart from the other Lords/main characters in the franchise: he's left-handed. A lot of the protagonists in Fire Emblem really do blur together after a while in terms of personality, so having a lead that employs something to stand out from the crowd outside of a different attitude or different hair color is a refreshing change.

Fire Emblem Heroes remembered this too; I think he's actually the only left-handed sword-wielder in the game. Heroes I mean, not just Echoes.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I'm going to be honest. When I was looking at the starting screens, I thought for a second that Tobin was weilding a carrot as a weapon. My first thought was 'Oh god, Tobin's in try-hard mode.' My second thought, 'That must be an incredibly sharp carrot."

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
There's a Lukasshock missing a portrait in there, as well as a "Luka's", and a "type" instead of "typo".

megane
Jun 20, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

I wish they'd give us a Peg Knight Lord or something.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The first few maps would all be archers if that were to happen.

Archers and axe-men.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fire Emblem Heroes remembered this too; I think he's actually the only left-handed sword-wielder in the game. Heroes I mean, not just Echoes.

Marisa is ambidextrous but naturally left-dominant.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

megane posted:

I wish they'd give us a Peg Knight Lord or something.

As noted, I'm pretty sure IS doesn't want your "lose the game if they die" unit to be weak to a massive swath of enemies. Pretty sure that's also why mounted/armored lords are pretty rare, the devs want to be able to throw Horse/Armorslayer weapons at you without worrying that they're making it impossible to use the main character properly. Part 2 of Radiant Dawn is a brief taste of what it would be like to have a Pegasus Knight as a lord, and it's ultimately not all that great (the game itself is great, that is, I just mean the specific experience of having Elincia be your lord unit is not terribly fun).

Though, one thing they could do is, next time you get an Avatar, they could make it so you put their unique class together yourself based on some sort of point system (adding usable weapons, growth modifiers, mounted/unmounted/armored, etc.). That way, you could have your Peg Knight lord, but it's optional, for those who knowingly accept the risks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can start as a Peg in FE 12. Even an armored unit.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Tae posted:

You can start as a Peg in FE 12. Even an armored unit.

This is true, but you're not the Lord in that one. I was thinking more in terms of Fates, where your Avatar is also the Lord. Plus IS seems to prefer giving the Avatar their own unique class now, rather than just sticking to the various generic classes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

EclecticTastes posted:

This is true, but you're not the Lord in that one. I was thinking more in terms of Fates, where your Avatar is also the Lord. Plus IS seems to prefer giving the Avatar their own unique class now, rather than just sticking to the various generic classes.

yeah, but the argument was based on game over if dead, and I'm pretty sure chris checks that box.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Gotta love how the first enemy leader in these games is always the complete and utterly indefensible douchebag with oily hair. "Rape, killing civilians and burning down villages is fun, weee!" And by becoming his enemy, then the Empire becomes your enemy. And they're more gray in motive, but you're committed now because you fought douchebag or at least he burned down your village.

Like...imagine if the Stormtroopers in Star Wars: A New Hope just sat down and let Aunt Beru give them tea. "Oh, we just want those droids, we're pretty sure the Jawas you bought them from stole them." As opposed to "Well, the kid has the droids, so let's burn down the farm. And then leave before he comes back."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Marisa is ambidextrous but naturally left-dominant.
True, but her in-game sprite still holds her sword in her right hand. Only Marisa's special skill activation artwork reflects her trait of using her left hand when she, to paraphrase Marisa herself, "gets serious when fighting". Alm's in-game sprite, however, does hold his sword in his left hand like he does in SoV.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Quick Bout

Time for the next bout.

Fleecer's Forest Battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnaXrDlAgwQ

What is it, Lukas?

*The two stay hidden from the targets*

Hrrm…
More brigands? It seems the rumors were no exaggeration.

Based on their numbers, I surmise they must have a hideout nearby. But we can ill afford to pick fights with every cutpurse and rogue we encounter.
Let’s sit back and lay low until they depart.

She’ll certainly add some color to that run-down old shrine! Gar har har!
Gar har har! She’s prettier’n the boss, that’s for sure!
What? They’ve taken a prisoner?!
Alm? Let’s just be calm and… Alm?! Alm, wait, don’t —

*Alm brandishes his blade at the bandits*

Hold it, you lecherous pigs!
Huh? Who the hell are you?
Release the woman you’re holding at once, or else!

Ya must really want a knife in the belly if yer slingin’ taunts at the likes of us.
So much for laying low…
To arms, everyone!

He can strike from a distance, so we must plan our approach carefully. Whoever goes after him needs to finish him quickly or be ready for a reprisal.
If you’re not strong enough to take an arrow or two, stay well away.

Archers are a bit different in Gaiden, as they have a minimum range of 1 like regular weapons. And Bowrange+1 means that they have a range of 1-3. Sounds amazing, right?

Nooot quite. This is a relatively simple battle, so we can dive deeper into what makes the Gaiden numbers.

They don't have an actual bandit archer so here's a fancy soldier I guess.

What makes Gaiden tick?

Let's go over the basic stats first:

HP=Health
ATK=Damage
Skill=Hitting things
SPD=If you attack twice or not
LCK=Modifier for other math stuff
DEF=How hard you take physical damage
RES=How hard you take magical damage
MOV=How many tiles you can go

-Attack Speed is determined by if you are faster than your enemy's speed by 1. 21 speed doubles 20, 20 only attacks once against 20, 19 gets doubled by 20.

Most other games requires 4 or 5, so speed has never been more important than in SoV.

-Hit rate for physical weapons is the weapon's accuracy+Skill. Magic is just the spell's accuracy. Most other games have Skillx2 as a modifier, so hitting stuff in this game is extremely not consistent.

-Dodging physical weapons is just speed, while Magic gets a tiny boost in being speed+luck. The most common formula for other games is basically speedx2 + luck.

-So in summary, hitting stuff is really hard to do with low hit formula and terrain bonus being gigantic boosts ranging from 20 to 60 percent avoidance.

-Damage taken is minimum 1, meaning literally the worst soldier can eventually defeat the highest defense with enough hits.

Back to the actual battle, the strategy is to simply camp in the forests and force the bandits to attack with no terrain bonus.

So we know how hit rates work. Swords, Axes, and Lances by default have 90 accuracy. Bows have 70. So that's why bows aren't as threatening as they look despite the 1-3 range.

Just want to mention that I love archers finally showing off the range of their attacks with the zoom forward on the arrows.

We get our first level for our units. Despite the stat gains, this is actually pretty good for SoV outside of Alm.

I can't stress enough that nearly everything is voiced, including level-ups. So when you hit an empty level, you can hear their emotional distraught.

Do not fight bosses on healing tiles ever. Just bait them out.

Oh look, a mechanic we'll see in a couple updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj2ENpDjcxI

Sorry, Lukas. My legs were moving before I had a chance to even think.
Valor is nothing to be sorry for. Now come. Let’s find this prisoner they spoke of.
They mentioned a shrine, yes? It must be nearby.

What’s that shrine?
Oh yeah, guess you wouldn’t know since you’ve been stuck in the village.
Shrines like this were built by folks so they had a place to worship Mila, but famine and other problems kinda put a damper on most Zofians’ piety.
Now they’re mostly just home to brigands and the like.
Then the woman who was taken captive must be inside…

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Big fan that instead of "unlocked the ability to" or whatever you gain the right to class change. Like you could have done it before but you weren't allowed to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Whoa, that are some big combat changes. Doubling being automatic at just one speed difference sounds like a huge thing. The to-hit changes are also interesting, sounds like it makes the game more swing-y. Does Shadows of Valentia use True Hit?

Kliff's bases are not that good, but he has pretty high growths. 60% speed, 45% skill, good def. Only his attack, HP and luck are a bit low, and he starts with an oddly high luck stat. He should be pretty good if you can get him some levels, right? Or is he too vulnerable with low HP?

I assume villagers just need to be level two to class change? That's cool, as long as you don't need some master seal equivalent. But I guess it's better to leave them in the villager class for as long as possible while the enemies are relatively weak brigands.

Also, the archer animation is really nice. The game is just pretty, something neat like this crops up every update.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Torrannor posted:

I assume villagers just need to be level two to class change? That's cool, as long as you don't need some master seal equivalent. But I guess it's better to leave them in the villager class for as long as possible while the enemies are relatively weak brigands.

It'll come up in a couple of updates, but no items are needed.

As far as class changes and whether to hold off, this game is rather interesting. Rather than classes giving, say, +4str +2def like in later FE games, they have minimum stats. So for example if a class has a minimum atk of 15, and you class up someone who has an atk of 12, they'll gain 3. If you class up someone with an atk of 16, it stays the same.

Experience gain gets almost exponentially lower as level goes up past the class-up threshold (so gringing gets rough), but there are no internal levels. Whether you class up at level 10 or level 3 villager, the resulting level 1 will gain xp at the same rate.

So combining all of that, you can hold off for a while before class change to take advantage of strong growths, but there's a limit to how effective that can be and more than a couple of levels really isn't worth it. And if you get statups in areas that are below the promoted class's minimums, they're useless gains anyway. If you promote you get an immediate boost, you get a lot of new levels coming in quickly, and any low growths that *do* trigger will go on top of the class minimums. This is not one of the FE games where you're expecting to hit level cap and so need to hold off on promoting until 20 or anything.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The above having been said, you can grind, and doing so for the Villagers can ensure their stats stay nice and high, though it's not really necessary to beat the game. Unlike Awakening and Fates, there's no mechanic for gaining infinite levels, and as I've mentioned, growth rates aren't as good as in most of the series, so if you like those shiny green numbers, you'll likely have to bite the bullet and grind up. On the plus side, it'll feel even better once you finally class change and gain EXP far faster for the first several levels.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

The above having been said, you can grind, and doing so for the Villagers can ensure their stats stay nice and high, though it's not really necessary to beat the game. Unlike Awakening and Fates, there's no mechanic for gaining infinite levels, and as I've mentioned, growth rates aren't as good as in most of the series, so if you like those shiny green numbers, you'll likely have to bite the bullet and grind up. On the plus side, it'll feel even better once you finally class change and gain EXP far faster for the first several levels.

Oh yes there is!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

MightyPretenders posted:

Oh yes there is!

Only for one class line though, and not everyone gains access to that.

But yeah, Kliff is one of those "he needs his growth to pull through to be usable" units. I made him a mage, but ended up having to drop him because his attack was getting unusably low. I was sad. But I had better mages by that point, so oh well.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah, I mean, granted, a fair number of characters have some form of access to the one line that can loop back, and in their case, it might be preferable to class change them early and often (especially since, as noted, there's no internal level, so if you loop all the way back around to Villager, you suddenly have endgame stats and gain experience like you just started the game).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's funny if you've played other FE games before but not actually Gaiden, because the reaction here basically goes from "Oh no. Not an archer. In Fire Emblem. Whatever will I do." to "...they can do what in this one?!"

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

vilkacis posted:

It's funny if you've played other FE games before but not actually Gaiden, because the reaction here basically goes from "Oh no. Not an archer. In Fire Emblem. Whatever will I do." to "...they can do what in this one?!"

Boy did that hit me in the dick. Wait 'till enemy magic users show up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Cavern of Creeps

Exploring in dungeons and such started in Gaiden and made its return decades later in a new way.

I’m only the stupid watchman! I just WATCH things! Eeeek! *Runs away*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prpf6u1AKBc

Music: Battle Preparations

Unlike in most other areas, dungeon exploring limits your party to 10 party members. Not a problem right now, of course.

Dungeon crawling is done via a third person view. The Mini-map at the bottom shows the layout and enemies if they're nearby.

The dank smell of mold permeates the shrine. It’s foul, like the rogues who crawl about the place.
How could this house to the Mother have become such a welcome haven for brigands?

A button is attack for busting breakable objects and getting a strike on an enemy to do tiny damage at the start of combat.

B Button is to run fast, but it's momentum-based, meaning it's hard to turn. Dashing then attacking does a charge tackle.

Dungeon battles are usually pretty simple layouts, with the potential of additional enemies popping out from the side. That all depends on how many enemies are close to each other when you start a battle. Sometimes it's better to bait out each enemy sprite.

Health is refilled after each completed battle, so go all out.

There are limits to dungeon exploring, however. When you do certain actions enough, the character becomes Fatigued when the actions equal to the maximum health. So if Alm enters combat equal to his health, he starts out with less HP in future fights.

Not a big deal, since exiting the Dungeon or eating food at shrines resets it entirely. And the penalty is just lower starting health and not stats.

Break items or certain grass gives Silver Marks which is currency for forging equipment. You can technically farm Silver Marks but it takes a really long time and you get enough from story anyway.

The only levels that really matter for now is Alm, and he gets a good one. Since Speed is king and Alm doesn't have promotion access compared to his comrades, he's more reliant on growths.

There's a "hidden" path here behind some boxes that lead to a chest.

The treasure was an Iron Sword, which will be given to Tobin for some extra firepower.

A short distance away, Alm exits to the north.

You got nerve bargin’ in here just as I was gettin’ to the main event.
Kill ’em, boys! …And be creative about it.

Man, they're just begging to be killed at every nasty sentence.

Same ole Brigands, a random Archer, and the boss of the bandits. He has high attack, and his speed is good enough to double the weaker characters like Faye.

The objective here is to just kill the leader Since EXP is infinite, there's less incentive to kill the mooks outside of items they hold.

Basic strategy here is to just let Lukas, Gray, and Alm take the brunt of the attacks while the others chip in.

Something that's been going on during battles is a flash of aura light between characters after a battle sequence. Supports during battle like the GBA games are back, with fully voiced conversations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYsCfTs0SG4

There you are, Alm!
Hello, Faye. How’s it going?
I’m doing just fine now. Seeing your face is always a bright spot in my day.
Heh. Well, I’m glad it’s not a low point.
Now, shall I head back out there and slay more of your enemies for you?!
Slay…enemies for me? Um…
Er, I would hope you’re doing it for a better reason than just…me.
Oh! Is THAT what you want?
…Because I’ll do it.
I’ll fight for any cause you desire! Just promise you’ll be watching, Alm! Promise to look at me!
Faye, I… Look, just please be careful, all right?

Future supports will be added at the end of updates.

Urgh. Who do you think you are? Saving one wench won’t make this world any less of a pit!

Combat's still not much to show off with the limited options I have right now.

The boss drops a Ram Wine, which is a quest item back in Ram Village if you remember.

Music: Melody of Water

Mila Shrines are basically the Walmart of Valentia. They look the same with the same function in every dungeon.

The functions of the room will go into a deep dive next update.

Mila Idol-It's a statue of Mother Mila.

Alm picked up a Mana Herb, which acts like food. Now time to talk to the hostage we rescued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUu-QpcMufw

Nnngh… Wh-who are you? How did I get here?
You’re in a shrine. Some brigands kidnapped you and took you here. Don’t worry, they’re gone. We dealt with them before they could do you any harm.
I see. Thank you, sir. After those ruffians seized me, I passed out…
Ugh… I don’t want to think about it.
What’s your name?

I hail from a priory far to the east, on the island of Novis.
So, uh, Silque… What brings a woman of the cloth like you so far from home?
*gasp* My mission! I nearly forgot! I must find a man named Sir Mycen. Are we far from Ram Village?
Are you serious? Ram’s our home! Sir Mycen is my grandfather.
What? You’re Sir Mycen’s…grandson?
……!

That's a oddly specific thing, must be the real deal.

What, this?
Sure. Pretty strange for a birthmark, huh? And that’s not even the weirdest part. A long time ago, a girl in my village had the same mark on her hand.
So you’re the one sh—
Huh? What is it, Silque?
Sir Alm, I have something for you.
Here. Please take this.

It’s called Mila’s Turnwheel. It’s a relic that contains some of the Earth Mother’s power.
I believe it will be of great use to you.

This is the item that lets you rewind turns for a limited number of times.

Are you sure? You were supposed to give this to my grandfather, right?
No. This is definitely for you.
Now that you have left your village and embarked upon an auspicious journey, the Turnwheel will become a vital tool during the trials ahead.
Okay… Well, thank you. I promise to take good care of it.
By the way, how do you use it?
You don’t use it. It uses you. When the time is right, the Turnwheel will give you a sign.
O…kay? I’m not sure I understand, but I’ll take your wor—

*The screen flashes*

Ah!
It appears that Mother Mila already wishes to show you something.

What’s happening?!

*Screen flashes again*

That’s Zofia Castle! This is our kingdom? What happened here? Is the Deliverance too late?!

*Vision stops, Alm returns back*

AAAAAH!
Sir Alm, what did you see?
It was… It was so clear!
Silque, it was horrible!
Be calm. What you saw in the vision is not the present.

Her power is sight.
So the vision is something that’s going to happen?
Something that COULD happen. If the vision was ill-boding, perhaps it was a sign—
A sign that the Mother wishes for you to take action in order to prevent it.
……

In my travels, I have witnessed the sorry state of our kingdom. With no goddess to bless them and no king to rule, most Zofians are at a loss.
And I, for one, refuse to stand by and watch them suffer. I would ask for permission to accompany you on your quest.

Silque joins the party as our first healer. Next update will go into promotions, class changes, and magic.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Mila's Turnwheel is probably the best QoL item in the series, I hope FE Switch has a similar item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

A fun little tidbit about Ram Wine: it sells for 25 silver marks, which is a lot compared to the other food items you come across.

• Locked thread