Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

Mila's Turnwheel is probably the best QoL item in the series, I hope FE Switch has a similar item

This times a million.

Just to check, do you care if we go into the mechanics surrounding the battle usage of the turnwheel or are you going to save that for a later update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tae posted:

Now, shall I head back out there and slay more of your enemies for you?!

:stonklol: whoa there, girl

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

Mila's Turnwheel is probably the best QoL item in the series, I hope FE Switch has a similar item

It's really good. Having the ability to essentially ctrl-z any button-fumbling or "gently caress why does it default to that option?!" moments is incredibly nice.

Also, I like the watchman. He had the right idea!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Faye's utter devotion is great

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

GeneX posted:

Faye's utter devotion is great
That's... one way to describe it, yes.

I prefer incredibly creepy obsession. Girl's got issues.

Thankfully, they currently work in Alm's favor. Somehow.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Oh hey, Echoes has a 33% discount now. Maybe I'll start playing along.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Shei-kun posted:

At least the game acknowledges it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shei-kun posted:

Thankfully, they currently work in Alm's favor. Somehow.

In a situation where you are putting a person who has never really fought before, anything that can keep her mind off what she is actually doing is a good short term solution.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I honestly didn't get how promotions in fates worked - once you got to 20..? that seemed to be it.

On topic though: this game is great, but the lack of res is absolutely murder in certain fights.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/t_ippers/status/994784787654172673

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tithin posted:

I honestly didn't get how promotions in fates worked - once you got to 20..? that seemed to be it.

On topic though: this game is great, but the lack of res is absolutely murder in certain fights.

It's the same as every game? Level people up to twenty or whatever and give them a seal and pick which one you want them to be.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RareAcumen posted:

It's the same as every game? Level people up to twenty or whatever and give them a seal and pick which one you want them to be.

If he had only played the gamecube and wii game he wouldn't know that system. In those games you just pick up another level at cap to promote. Did fates ever even give you a promotion tutorial now that I think on it?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Fates lets you promote at 10 (assuming you have the seals), though it's optimal to wait until 20 for stats. Then you have the dlc classes which don't promote at all and are on a 1-40 level curve instead, seals that raise the level cap, or let you change your class in different ways...

Echoes is much simpler, and as already mentioned - little reason not to promote as soon as you can in this one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Deep Dive: Promoting Magic

Statue: Present to me those that are worthy.
statue: By my master's will shall I bestow upon them new power.

Time to take a deep dive into the class system and magic, cause it gets weird and unique for Gaiden.

-Make Offering: Eat food here to relieve of fatigue. As mentioned before, not really a thing to worry about outside of super long dungeons.

-Change Class: Obvious.

-Turnwheel: A sub-menu of options.

-Memory Prisms: Prisms are items you collect and find through the first person navigation that unlock story cutscenes.

-Support Log: Replays conversations that you unlocked.

-amiibo: Use one to summon a one-turn DLC character to help out.

Class Change

All of Alm's friends can promote now, as the minimum threshold for Villagers to change is level 3.

What makes a major difference in how promotion works in Gaiden/SoV is that you are incentivized to promote immediately.

Let's take Kliff for example. These are his current stats.

These are his stats after he promotes to Cavalier. No, these are not promotion bonuses. Stats in promoting here are raised to the base stats of the new class, if they are below. Meaning Kliff will always have a minimum of 9 attack even if he didn't gain a single point as a Villager. Anything above the base stats of the new class is kept.

Characters that promote, reset back to level 1 without any penalty to experience earning. Meaning if say you reset an endgame character back to Villager, they gain EXP as if you're starting the game over.

Cavalier Base stats:
HP: 24
Atk: 9
Skl: 3
Spd: 5
Lck: 0
Def: 5
Res: 2
Mov: 7

Soldier is Lukas's class, which is effectively a Knight/General type. They are defensively strong, but slow in both stats and movement. Honestly, one of the worst classes for this game because of how important speed is as a stat.

Soldier Base stats:
HP: 26
Atk: 10
Skl: 1
Spd: 3
Res: 0
Mov: 4

Mercenaries for whatever reason give an absurd 10 base speed at promotion, meaning Kliff goes from okay speed to faster than Alm as soon as level 3.

Mercs are by the best overall class option for melee, with tremendous speed and skill in a game that gives heavy favor towards those two stats.

Merc Base stats:
Atk: 8
Skl: 8
Spd: 10
Def: 4
Res: 1

Archers are okay, because of how their hit rate formula is worse than most weapons. Their advantage is being physical range and having access to the Killer Bow, a weapon that turns any schmuck into a war machine.

Archer Base stats:
Spd: 2
Def: 3
Res: 0

Mages are also treated very differently in Gaiden/SoV. Magic takes health to cast, and almost every character has a set list of spells they can learn. The spells that Kliff can learn is very different than what Tobin or Gray can use.

Mages (Male) Base stats:
HP: 20
Skl: 3
Spd: 4
Res: 8

Female characters have their own set of promotion options, taking out Archer and Mercs for Peg Knights and Cleric.

Peg Knights are not as good as Cavaliers stat-wise, but their main strength is the ability to traverse over terrain. Terrain is a much bigger factor in this game, so the slight loss in stats is a good exchange.

Peg Knight Base stats:
Skl: 4
Spd: 7
Lck: 6
Def: 4
Res: 6
Mov: 7

Clerics heal, but more important have access to some incredible support magic. Faye's list specifically has one of the best spells in Rescue that changes how to approach battles.

Cleric Base stats:
HP: 18
Atk: 7
Skl: 2
Spd: 4
Lck: 4
Def: 1
Res: 10

Female mages for some reason have different base stats than male ones.

Mage (female) Base stats:
Spd: 7
Lck: 5
Def: 2
Res: 10

The next set of classes will be in a future update when one of our characters reach the level.

Magic

Spells have a set HP cost to cast, and you can't cast them if you're below the threshold. So if you attack an enemy mage at 5 health to 1 health, the mage can't cast a spell in retaliation because he doesn't have enough anymore.

Spells also have weight, meaning some spells will double enemies while others will be hard pressed to with how harsh their penalties are.

Most characters in the game have their own list of magic, with the exceptional few having a generic bad list of spells to learn.

Keep in mind that if you promote a spellcaster before they learn all the spells, it'll take the difference of when you learn it to when you promote plus one level.

For example, Silque learns a spell at level 14. But she can promote at level 10, so her spell learned at Cleric level 14 is now next learned
at Saint level 5.

Gray

Fire: Costs 1 HP, 3 mt, 1-2 range, 80 hit, 3 wt
Sagittae: Costs 8 HP, 16 mt, 1-3 range, 70 hit, 11 wt
Thunder: Costs 2 HP, 4 mt, 1-3 range, 70 hit, 5 wt

Tobin

Excalibur: Costs 3 HP, 5 mt, 1-2 range, 95 hit, 1 wt

Kliff

Faye (Mage)

Seraphim: Costs 4 HP, 7 mt, 1-2 range, 90 hit, 4 wt, Anti-Terror

Faye (Cleric)

Recover: Costs 1 HP, 1 range, Restores an adjacent ally’s HP (8 mt)
Nosferatu: Free, 0 mt, 1-2 range, 60 hit, 2 wt, Absorbs HP equal to damage dealt to enemy
Physic-Costs 3 HP, 1 to Attack stat range, Restores a distant ally’s HP (6 mt)
Rescue: Costs 6 hp, 1 to Attack stat/2 range, Transports a distant ally next to user

Silque

Warp: Costs 8 HP, 1 range, Teleports an ally to Attack stat/2 squares away
Expel: Costs 14 hp, 1 to attack stat/2 range, Banishes basic Terrors in range (Hit 65)
Invoke Dread: Costs 12 HP, 2-3 range, Summons up to 8 Dread Fighter NPCs

Generic

Vote:

Plainly list out the villager and their new class. I'll tally it up at the end in a few days.

Silque

HP-45
Atk-40
SKL-35
SPD-30
LCK-60
DEF-40
RES-2

As your first healer in the party, depending on Faye's promotion, she's a really simple character to wield. Her spell list is kinda meh outside of Warp and Invoke, but you don't need much to be good as a healer.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’ll be nice and put in a vote for Faye to become a Cleric. I don’t really care who the boys become though, I kinda want to see something different from the recommended classes I always use.

Another note: skill is useless for magic classes. A skill’s accuracy is its accuracy, it’s only affected by supports.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Gray and Tobin: Mercenary
Kliff: Mage
Faye: Cleric

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I think everyone is kind of overstating the whole "raise to base stats on promotion" mechanic, because one thing that's being overlooked is, with a few exceptions like the Mercenary, every class' base stats suck. You will never gain experience more easily than when you've got Villagers, and unless you're going Mercenary, you will likely dwarf several of the base stats of whatever you end up promoting into, unless the RNG is completely out for your blood. It's doubly important to get as many levels as possible with anyone you plan to make a Mage or Cleric, for reasons.

By the way, Silque's overall stat balance hasn't changed too much since Gaiden, with solid but not particularly exciting growths across the board. She lost some Speed relative to her other growths, leaving it a little on the low side (especially being a Cleric), but gained a hefty boost to Luck.

Anyway, my votes:

Gray: Mercenary
Tobin: Archer

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Everyone: mercenary

Alm will conquer this island with his army of ninja.

E: derp faye can't. Uh... cleric, I guess. Might as well show off the fun of infinite teleportation spam.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2018

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Gray: Mage
Kliff: Mercenary
Faye: Pegasus Knight

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Everyone: Mage

Book-learning is what will save this land!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Let's just go with the classic.

Grey: Mercenary

Now, if you're prepping for postgame (without dlc), the answer is to make everyone you can mercenaries, then diversify them after at least one villager loop.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
You can't go wrong with Gray as a Merc, that guy was a beast in my playthrough.
Tobin was really bad in my run as an Archer, but I don't want to give him a lance job because reasons, so guess he'll be another Merc. I'd probably bench him as soon as possible though.
Kliff works best as a Mage.
I once tried out Faye as a Cav and that was fun, she wasn't bad. Suprisingly tanky but she had such low strength that she couldn't do jack damage. And Silque is probably the only healer Alm has access to for the majority of the game? So Faye becomes a Cleric.

Liking this LP and can't wait to see what's next.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'll vote for the classic, too:

Faye Cleric
Gray Merc
Tobin Archer
Kliff Mage

I wish there was a New Game+ option or something that opened up the villager class options for both genders so I could make Faye into the mercenary she wants to be. And imagine something like Gray as a pegasus knight and Tobin as a cleric - how much more fun would replays be with a little more variety!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Weeble posted:

Everyone: Mage

Book-learning is what will save this land!

Slight variation:

Tobin: Mage
Gray: Mage

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Cleric and three Soldiers

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

GodofDiscord posted:

You can't go wrong with Gray as a Merc, that guy was a beast in my playthrough.
Tobin was really bad in my run as an Archer, but I don't want to give him a lance job because reasons, so guess he'll be another Merc. I'd probably bench him as soon as possible though.
Kliff works best as a Mage.
I once tried out Faye as a Cav and that was fun, she wasn't bad. Suprisingly tanky but she had such low strength that she couldn't do jack damage. And Silque is probably the only healer Alm has access to for the majority of the game? So Faye becomes a Cleric.

Liking this LP and can't wait to see what's next.

Second

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gray: Merc
Faye: Pegasus

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Grey:Merc
Tobin:Mage
Cliff:Cav
Faye:Cleric

Basically what I did on my blind playthrough, and I wasn't disappointed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lets keep it nice and simple and go with

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Tobin is the superior mage you fools. Early Excalibur access trumps anything Kliff brings to the party.

Tobin - Mage
Cliff - Mercenary
Gray - Mercenary
Faye - Pegasus

Good spread of the useful stuff for now. Faye's only useful contribution as a Cleric is Rescue/Warp abuse with Silque but it's not really needed.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Oh my, this magic system really does seem like a nice change-up from the other games. You're...essentially giving up some HP to deliver a powerful artillery strike, right?

Can mages do more things that don't require wearing themselves down, though?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Mage Tobin since it's really his best option, and it's not one a lot of people take as well, so it'll be interesting to see.

Merc Gray because he sucks as anything else :v:

Merc Kliff, two mercs is kind of awkward early game but he's such a monster as Merc that I have to recommend it. Merc Gray has nothing on Merc Kliff.

And Cleric Faye because Physic access makes Echoes' tedious maps way less tedious. She brings nothing much to the table as any other class too. It's just the sanity option.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Also Kilff gets some sickass black armor as a Cav.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

daermon posted:

Tobin is the superior mage you fools. Early Excalibur access trumps anything Kliff brings to the party.

Oh? And what does he get late-game? He doesn't even have a 3-range spell.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Tobin - Mage
Cliff - Mercenary
Gray - Mercenary
Faye - Cleric

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Tobin - Mercenary
Cliff - Mercenary
Gray - Mercenary
Faye - Cleric

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wait, Silque can just summon 8 extra dudes?

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

bibliosabreur posted:

Oh my, this magic system really does seem like a nice change-up from the other games. You're...essentially giving up some HP to deliver a powerful artillery strike, right?

Can mages do more things that don't require wearing themselves down, though?

All magic has an HP cost (even healing costs 1 HP), but as the game goes on you can get equipment and other stuff with HP regen.

Plus, the system works wonders in terms of training healers.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

MightyPretenders posted:

Oh? And what does he get late-game? He doesn't even have a 3-range spell.

Physic after promotion. Tobin is the best mage early game, and when mages start falling off lategame due to their low mov, he brings utility, so he's consistently useful at any stage of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wait, Silque can just summon 8 extra dudes?

Yes, but this is not as useful as you think. They're "allies", so not directly controlled, and you don't get XP for anything they do.

Anyway, for my votes:

• Locked thread