Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Everyone's good on the merc line. It's a very strong class. The main flaw is getting in each others' way.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

The attack animations are cool. It looks more natural that they start the fight in motion, a nice feature. I've never really thought about what vulnerary's really are, having them replaced with food items makes sense.

So I guess you can just travel between those story battles and do skirmishes as much as you like? That's not a bad way to enable the player to grind if they want to.

On one hand it's nice to see the village as you transition into the first battle, on the other hand I wonder what Mycen and Alm were doing all day if they allowed brigands to set up shop no more than 5 minutes walking time away from their home.

When Mycen says don't leave the village, you do NOT leave the village!

Generally map battles stay gone when cleared (with a couple of exceptions) but there are other places where one can grind and another map mechanic will come up later. Maybe not until next chapter, I can't recall.

And yeah the animations are great. I love how the dodges just flow into a follow-up attack, the old sprites were great for their day but the clunkiness of "okay, your turn" was apparent.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I assume villagers just need to be level two to class change? That's cool, as long as you don't need some master seal equivalent. But I guess it's better to leave them in the villager class for as long as possible while the enemies are relatively weak brigands.

It'll come up in a couple of updates, but no items are needed.

As far as class changes and whether to hold off, this game is rather interesting. Rather than classes giving, say, +4str +2def like in later FE games, they have minimum stats. So for example if a class has a minimum atk of 15, and you class up someone who has an atk of 12, they'll gain 3. If you class up someone with an atk of 16, it stays the same.

Experience gain gets almost exponentially lower as level goes up past the class-up threshold (so gringing gets rough), but there are no internal levels. Whether you class up at level 10 or level 3 villager, the resulting level 1 will gain xp at the same rate.

So combining all of that, you can hold off for a while before class change to take advantage of strong growths, but there's a limit to how effective that can be and more than a couple of levels really isn't worth it. And if you get statups in areas that are below the promoted class's minimums, they're useless gains anyway. If you promote you get an immediate boost, you get a lot of new levels coming in quickly, and any low growths that *do* trigger will go on top of the class minimums. This is not one of the FE games where you're expecting to hit level cap and so need to hold off on promoting until 20 or anything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When you're not time-constrained, never underestimate the value of an ablative meatwall.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tae posted:

Technically yes, but Nosferatu's hit rate is awful and you can't really improve it easily.

Unless you're Faye, who gets +5/10/20 hit by standing near her stalkee.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"gently caress you, Tobin" hey, now y'all fight better!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

With this intro I was expecting to hate Clair with a passion, but fortunately this is as bad as it gets as far as her noblewoman ignorance.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbgSE7wBtbw&t=154s I love Gray's delivery here.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I gotta ask what Clair was eating if she's never seen a cow or a pig? Her family would have farmlands as nobility. Are they dragon farmers or something crazy?

Probably only saw the end product.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Clive is very, very sad since his growths are way too balanced to match up to any of the Villagers (or future Cavaliers) and his rock-bottom RES score makes him a sitting duck for any mages that gets close.

I dunno, I've never made him work.

As mentioned the cavalier is a decent enough and mobile class that I find I bring him along for (non-mage) body blocking if nothing else, but he's never a star player for me and easily dropped if I get a bunch of god units. Or even just non-bad ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"Peasants murdered my family" is not actually a reasonable rationale for hating all peasants everywhere, especially when the peasants in question were starving while you enjoyed all the creature comforts afforded by feudalism. I feel like Fernand would work better if he was just a period-accurate shitlord, rather than giving him a dumb backstory that was supposed to make him sympathetic.

I don't think it was supposed to make him sympathetic, it sounded like an excuse people make for why they hang out with douchebags/abusers IRL.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You guys are really over thinking this. If you want to piss off Fernand you just say "this is Soren, he's a gutter-orphan who's skilled enough with magic and tactics to be the chief strategist of a group of similarly non-noble mercenaries who kick everyone's butts and save the world twice."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like Soren isn't a good choice because unknown to him he is actually the son of royalty.

Yeah but nobody figures that out unless you have some incredibly specific support conversations at the right time and, if I remember right, a combat conversation that's likely to get Soren killed. Anyway, "son of a king who used me as bait for a dragon, then forced me upon a nurse who hated the burden and sold me to a sage, after he died I went feral and Ike was the only person nice to me so I hunted him down years later and swore loyalty to his family" isn't bad in its own right.

Fernand may think he has a sob story, but Soren EARNED his right to be a jerk-rear end.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin pulled off something like this with it's own intro so it's totally doable. It's all about the framing an execution.

Intro nothing, there's that "poo poo got real" level that's basically a playable cutscene of your guys scrambling just ahead of death troops. And then you get nuked anyway. Maybe it's just because I'm the kind of person to get emotionally invested in a story on the back of a cereal box, but that felt really well laid out.

• Locked thread