Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shadows of Valentia is a remake of the 2nd game Gaiden which took many drastic turns from a strategy tactics game to more of an RPG with tactics combat.

SoV is no different, as it retains many of the mechanics still unique to Gaiden, as well as sprinkle in new experiments brand new to the series including:
-Full Voice Acting. All but a handful of NPC villagers don't have voiced lines.
-Mila's Turnwheel. A mechanic to turn back as many turns for limited uses.
-Full 3D dungeon exploration
-And many more

This LP will be a run without knowledge of Gaiden, sorry to say. Luckily for you, two Gaiden LP's have been done (with obvious warning to spoilers since this is a Remake)

DKII: https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden-(by-DKII)/

Hafl: https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden/

Thread rules are the basics of no spoilers.

Content Listing:

The Beginning
A Grave Situation
A Parting Promise
A Chance Encounter
Ramming to War
We can still see the gates
A Quick Bout
A Cavern of Creeps
Deep Dive: Promoting Magic
Bandit Cave Sidestuff
Shieldy McMerc
Prison Break
Greetings, Fellow [Peasants]
A Lead On Leader

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Beginning

Hard gives bigger stats to enemies, better equipment, and more enemies in general compared to Normal. Some of the maps distinctly are designed for Hard, as they would be noticeably very empty spaces in Normal.

The Casual/Classic modes are here as always, though Casual renders some in-game mechanics of the game unneeded and useless.

Don't ask me how the dates work in this game. They're mostly for flavor

Always gotta start with drama, I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMCpIy_NvpE

I get white blood is because of ratings board, but you could've picked something not so...bright?

Gods, no.... *kneels down to girl*

Don't leave me, Celica...You can't!

Celica? Celica! Say something, please!

Media Res is all the rage with the kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6DySnnRuH0

…Alm? …Alm!
*sigh* Where did he go this time?

Oh! Hey, Gray. Say, have you seen Alm? I can’t find him anywhere.

Kliff! …Wait, why not?
He and Celica went off for a stroll in the woods. I saw them leave.
He’s with Celica? …Again?
Exactly. Again?! I mean, Celica JUST moved to Ram Village, right?
*sighs* Nice to know we’re so easily replaced.
H-he’s not replacing us. Celica’s his cousin. Of course they’re gonna be close.

Huh?
Sir Mycen only has one grandkid. And that’s Alm. Celica is his ward. Mother told me. They’re not related by blood.

Still, I like where this story is going. Celica and her dark, unspeakable past…
Stop that, would you? So does this mean… I mean…
Is Alm gonna marry her someday?
Wha— Marry her?! Are we having the same conversation?

Girls start early, Gray. Real early.

*Another kid runs up to them*

Hey, Tobin. Believe what?
Somebody saw a knight in the woods! A real knight! From the castle!
Come on, let’s go check it out!
What? Why would a knight come here? Big fan of manure or something?
I’m not missing this! He could be the last knight we see for months…or years! Kliff, Faye! You coming?
Yeah!
Huh? H-hey, wait up!

*Meanwhile, out in the fields*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSChpshTYKw

Here's two seconds of gameplay, mostly showing off the evolution of the 3D models from Fates and Awakening.

In most conversations, the main protagonist's face will be in the bottom screen as they express against whoever they're talking to.
I made a wreath out of these flowers. Here, put it on!
Wh-what? No!
Why not? I think it’d make you look very handsome.
I think you mean “very stupid.” Boys don’t wear wreaths.
Don’t call it stupid! It took me a long time to make this.
Fine then. Maybe I’ll just give it to Grandpapa instead.
You’re kidding, right?
Grandpapa knows a manly wreath when he sees one…unlike SOME boys. Ha ha.
Har har. Very funny.
You’re picturing him wearing it. Ha ha! Admit it!
…Heh heh.
There’s the smile I was looking for.
…Huh? What, is something wrong?
No, I just… I’m glad you’ve cheered up, is all.

Plus, you never spoke a word! Grandpapa told me to be nice, but I wasn’t sure how to make things better.
Well, I think you did just fine. Each story that you told me, each flower you picked for me, each walk you took with me here in the woods...
that all made a difference, Alm.
Come on, I didn’t do anything special.
Or maybe you did.
I’m sorry that my first words to you were so unkind.

Hey, I said I’m sorry!
I’ve just never had any friends my age. So I guess I wasn’t used to boys like you.
Well, I’d never met a girl like you, either. Don’t let it get to you.

Why are you so nice to me?
…Why? Do I need a reason?
I mean, I guess it’s because I never knew my parents, I have no siblings… and Grandpapa has always forbid me from setting foot outside the village. You’re like a window to a world that I’ve never had the chance to know.
Is that a good enough reason, or…
…Oh, hey!
What is it?

*Alm shows off his hand*

See this? We have the same mark.
Um, yes? Except yours is on your left hand and mine is on my right…
Well, that makes us close! Er, doesn’t it?

Attraction by birthmark is at least a slightly more concrete reason than "Red heads are my thing"

Ha ha! I suppose it does, in a strange sort of way. I wonder why the marks are so similar.
It’s because they’re special. They prove that the two of us belong together. Always.
That is, if you’re not already tired of a clod like me making you laugh.
Of course not! So…do you mean it? We’ll always be together?

This might be the fastest proposal in Fire Emblem history

Yes. I promise.
Isn’t that what you want?
Yes, of course!
You have my word, I’ll never lea—

*A distant scream was heard*

Huh? That was Faye!
Is she in trouble?
It came from beyond those trees. Come on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOwSrqberGM

*At the far distance where Faye is*

Heh… Looks like our luck’s picked up, eh, Sir Slayde? After days of the same old trees, such cherubic faces are welcome indeed! After all, where little brats play… we’ll find a village, I say.

My men and I, loyal knights in service to His Majesty King Lima IV—
May the powers bless him and his name until the end of days—
Hereby command you to lead us to your miserable line of hovels, where you shall have the honor of dining us and otherwise providing all comforts.
It shall be an evening to remember. So lead on! And make haste, now.
B-but… We can’t just… We’ll get the scolding of our lives if we bring strangers to the village!

Our home is but a small village—to call it a line of hovels is too generous. We do not wish to offend you when you are clearly deserving of so much more.
So please, we humbly implore your great mightiness to—
You. Boy. Have you an older sister?
Er, me? I have two, actually. What about ’em?

We’ll take all the food and drink you can muster—and your sisters can serve it!
I wager we’ll get naught but pig feed and horse piss, but so be it. I shall force it down if I must.
Grrr…
*sniff*
Gods, Kliff, shut your hole! Don’t cry in front of ’em!
B-but Gray…
We should ALL be crying, Gray! We’re not really gonna take ’em to the village, are we?!
Hey, I don’t like it either! If I knew the royal knights were such royal turds, I never would’ve—

If you do not wish to entertain us the one way, you can entertain us the other. Perhaps we shall remove your tiny heads from your shoulders one…by…one.
There's impatience, and then there's malicious. It hasn't even been a minute, dude.
Aaaaah!
You first, filly. Don’t worry, lass— I’ll make a nice, clean cut…
No!

*A rock was thrown at Slayde*

Back off!
Ugh. How many whelps does this blasted village contain?!
Get away from my friends! You’re not going to set one foot in our village!
Is that so? Someone neglected to teach this mangy pup any manners…
*Notices someone behind Alm* Hmm?
*gasp*
You there! Girl! Show me your face. *Grabs her*
No…
By the gods… It really IS her!
Heh heh. How you came to walk among these animals is beyond me.

Seize her!

Not really remotely hiding that Celica is special, between this and the hand mark.

No… L-let me go!
Get your hands off her! *Punches Slayde*
Ooof! *lets go of Celica*
Alm, you did NOT just punch a knight!
Urgh!
You dare raise a hand to me?! You baseborn…barn-bred… So be it. You will stave off your death sentences no longer—especially you! *Readies weapon*
Ah!
Ha ha ha! The Mother can’t save you now, brat!
Alm! Look out!

*A spear clashes*

*gasp* Grandpapa?
What? Mycen?! What are you doing in a backwater wasteland like—
…Ah. But I think I know.
……
Now, this…this is indeed good fortune. We never finished what we started in the flames that night, old man. I have much to repay you for.
…I mustn’t forget ALL my virtues, after all.

Run to the cemetery up ahead. Go on now.
What? Why? What are you gonna do?
Now, Alm! All of you! RUN!
A-all right. Come on, guys!

Tae fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 2, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Grave Situation

Mycen and the kids arrive at the cemetery

With the enemy group behind, they're kinda trapped now.

Listen well, children. We will drive these ruffians away, but you must follow my every command.
What? But we’re no match for them!
…You’re serious, Grandpapa?
He’s ALWAYS serious. It’s just that this time, he’s also crazy!
We can’t do this! Half a dozen children can’t win against mounted knights!

This is the rare occasion of it actually being true. The knights massively outstat the kids even on normal, especially with how this game does numbers.

I…I want my mother…
I wanna go home!

…!
The only way you’re going home is by fighting as if your life depends on it!
Alm! Celica!
Uh, sir!
I trust you two remember some of what I’ve taught you of the sword.
Now clear the mind, steady the hand, and show me what you’ve learned. Only you can get yourselves through this!

Despite the "pep talk", none of the kids will see combat here. It's going to be a Mycen solo for this tutorial battle.

First, get yourselves to a safer position! Keep your distance from the enemy. Don’t try to pursue them!

We'll take a look at the kid units, since this is the only time they'll used in this game.

Alm

Units in SoV can only equip one item total, and they have a basic weapon to fend for themselves.

Celica

Celica has a +1 on her attack stat because the Golden Dagger's is 1 Might. It's a good quick visual on how many stats an equipped item gives, if at all.

Gray

Faye

Tobin

Kliff

Mycen

Here we see that Mycen is quite literally three to six times stronger than a child. There's a joke about Jeigan archtypes babysitting the intro, but this takes it to a new level.

The soldiers are in comparison...not too impressive.

Not exactly the cream of Zofia's crop.

Even Slayde isn't too much for Mycen, but he certainly backs his threat of being able to kill kids.

Take shelter in the trees there. They can provide cover. Remember, always use the surrounding terrain to your advantage!

The first major thing that'll trip up people is how massive the evasion boosts are. Tombstones gives a full 60% avoidance to any unit standing on it. Forests aren't at a shabby 40% either. Forests in other games give at most 20%.

A main thing to remember for this game compared to iterations made after Gaiden is that double attacking only requires one speed higher than the enemy.

The enemy range button shows off that the kids are just out of range, letting Mycen safely take out the forces.

You’ve done all you can for now. Now brace for their attack!

Mycen will camp on a tombstone for that massive evasion boost to end the turn.

A small feature to note. Characters will chirp their catchphrase the first time you select them per battle. Full-voice acting goes every crevice.

Another evolution of the 3DS games are battle transitions where the character that starts physical combat is already moving forward. This gives a feeling of momentum instead of them just standing still at the start.

Animations are also more kinetic in general, as it leans in more towards using dodge/block to start off the counterattack. Also, who doesn't love a good horse kick attack?

Not many survived the Mycen Massacre, especially the default combat forecast. As seen a little above, the original combat forecast doesn't really give much information besides telling you if you're doubling.

The "simplified" forecast gives your standard Fire Emblem info like hit rate, damage, and crit values.

Don't be tricked by Slayde's passiveness. You don't want to engage him while he's camping on the gravestone, as he'll stay on it an extra turn to give off the appearance that he's there forever.

He'll move off it eventually, and attack Mycen while he has the grave advantage.

But not today. I must return to the castle. General Desaix will be eager to learn that we have found…her.
The princess who refuses to die. Heh heh heh…

Slayde doesn't topple over with his dead horse, because he's not dead. A lesson that took like 4 games to learn, presentation-wise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Parting Promise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBITOlgjm5o

Look at ’em run, Grandpapa!
So, wait. HOW did we do that. exactly?
Ha ha! It’s all in the wrist.

I guess the writers expected most people to try and get the kids to fight. Maybe if you camp them on the gravestone enough, they won't die...?

You wish. We only survived because we did exactly as Sir Mycen commanded.
Oh yeah? Does that mean Sir Mycen commanded you to sob like a baby?
How can you guys joke about this?
Grandpapa, Celica, that was great!

……

Meanwhile, the truth of the fight is weighing down on these two.

What? You’re not happy?
We saved the village from those despicable knaves! We’re heroes!
I mean, if nothing else, we’re not dead. You could at least crack a smile.
Alm, you don’t understand.
Now that they know Celica is here, they will stop at nothing. It’s no longer safe for her to stay in the village.
…What? But…why? It doesn’t have to be like that.
Tell him, Celica!
I’m so sorry, Alm. I know that you would have kept your promise.
Don’t apologize, Celica. Just… Just tell me that this is a mistake! That you don’t have to go!

From the previous conversations, Celica wasn't here long in the first place. Must've been a fun few months.

Get back to the village and pack your things, Celica. Hurry.
Yes, sir…
Hold on a second! Explain this to me, Grandpapa. Why are you making her leave? I want to know!
No, my boy—I fear that’s a page you don’t want to turn.
…Not yet, at any rate.
Oh, great. Now you’re talking in riddles?
I won’t let you do this to her! She needs me!

Whoah, Alm. You're starting to sound a bit creepy.

Celica has proven she has the strength to make hard choices. Yet what of you?
Please… Don’t take her away…
Alm… Would you mind looking after something for me?

This is your good-luck charm. You never take this off! It’s…special.
Yes, it is. And now it’s yours. I want you to keep it close always. As close as you would have kept me.
My mother gave that to me. Not that I actually remember, but…
Celica, I can’t take this from you.
You’re not taking it, I’m giving it. I pray that it keeps you safe.
Take care, Alm.
Wait… Celica!

*Time passed, back at the village*

We don’t know why she’s leaving, or even where she’s going. And whatever Sir Mycen knows, he isn’t telling the likes of us.
Hey, not everything is our business. I just feel bad for her, you know? She and Alm are different from us.
Different? In what way?
In every way.

Before you ask, no. Gray doesn't know anything. He just has "a feeling."

*At the edge of the forest exit*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50xmVL7mQfQ

Yes. If I try to say good-bye to him, I’ll just end up crying.
Grandp— Er, Sir Mycen? Where will I go next?
Hmm… I have a place in mind. Perhaps it’s time to call on an old friend. Under his care, I am certain your enemies will never find you.
Forgive an old knight for failing you, Princess. Had the Mother willed it… I would have stayed by your side and protected you to my dying days.
But I cannot leave Ram Village. Not yet.
You don’t need to apologize, Sir Mycen. I regret nothing.
The days I spent here with you and Alm were wonderful. The experiences I had and the friends I made all mean the world to me.
You don’t have to be my shining knight, Sir Mycen—

Of course.
*At a distance* CELICA!
…Alm?

Alm! You came for me.
I want to make a new promise. One day, when I’m older and stronger, I’m going to find you. It doesn’t matter where the world hides you or how long it takes. I promise to find you.
So please…don’t forget me, okay?
I could never forget you, Alm. And I promise too. I’ll be waiting for the day we can meet again. But for now,
I have to go.

*Mycen rides off to the horizon*

Yes, child?
…Do you think I’ll ever see him again?
I do.
So long as destiny wills it.
Destiny… So be it.

Late title card ahoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVkwxQU-eIU

We now get the history of Valentia's history and that which will take place.

Narrator: Once, the gods themselves walked these lands. Our continent of Valentia was home to two of them: sibling gods named Duma and Mila. The elder god, Duma, believed mankind must be ruled by strength, lest we become corrupt, while his sister, Mila, believed we should be free to pursue lives of pleasure and comfort. The two clashed ceaselessly.

It was a long, dark age before the bitter conflict was resolved with the binding of a divine accord. Valentia would be divided in twain—with Duma ruling the north and Mila ruling the south—and in order to secure a lasting peace, each pledged never to violate the other’s dominion. For millennia, this accord was honored, and peace did indeed reign.

In time, the Kingdom of Zofia, which Mila founded in the south, prospered with the goddess’s love and blessings. Hers were a happy people who knew no toil and lived free of hardship. But Mila’s gifts spoiled the Zofians, and it was only a matter of time before they sank into depravity.

Meanwhile, in the north, Duma had built his own empire. Tempered by harsh lands and the even harsher teachings of their fierce god, the people of Rigel had grown strong. But in their quest for power, the Rigelians had let their hearts grow cold and numb to all kindness.

Both halves of the continent were in a fragile state, and the cracks had begun to show. And now, Valentia lies on the cusp of a terrible war that could forever alter its history…

The Village Kids

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chance of Encounter

Seven years have passed, but one year before the media res opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzgC7s5qb7Y

Alm and Mycen spar an intense match to start off the Act.

Well done, Alm. We’ll end today’s training here. Your swordsmanship has come a long way. I’ve always known you had talent.
You really think so?
You’re not just saying that, are you, Grandfather?
Either I’m getting old or you’re getting better—and we both know I’m not old.
Ha! Well, good. Then that means you’re ready to let me travel outside the village.

Yeesh. Alm still hasn't left the place? It's not exactly a big place. I would go crazy.

But why?! I’m not a child anymore. You just said I can fend for myself! If I meet with any dangers, I’ll have my sword and my wits.
Alm, that’s not what this is about.
Then what IS it about?
Alm…

People are starving, and many have turned to thievery and plunder. Brigands loot villages for a mere sack of grain, and soon they’ll be at OUR door!
And don’t think I haven’t heard what the Rigelian army has been up to. They’ve been crossing the border for years in violation of the Divine Accord. And with that sacred bond broken, now the Terrors have resurfaced as well…

Ram Village must be a common trade outpost if he's able to hear all this without being able to leave. Bigger question is what happened to the Zofian army that came back for round 2 on Celica. Did we miss more Mycen solos?

…All true.

Please, Grandfather. I want to make a difference in a world bigger than a handful of houses. I want to see all the amazing places you’ve told me about—
That Celica told me about!
Suppose you do set forth with your sword and your wits. So what?
……

Before you dream of changing the world, learn your damned place in it.
And no more talk of leaving. *Mycen enters back into the house and slams the door shut*

To be fair, if Alm died to a common thief, that's kinda your fault for being a bad teacher.

…What’s his problem?! Why teach me to use a sword if you’re not going to let me fight?
Every day in this place is exactly the same as the next. I know I’m meant for more than this!
But you have to let me find it!

*A horse neighs in the distance and a crowd starts a loud chatter*

Huh? What’s all the commotion? It’s coming from the gates. Hmm…

Music OST: Serenity

The newest thing added to Shadows of Valentia is the ability to explore via first person investigation. You can talk to people, pick up items in the background, and Alm will comment on even the most mundane things.

The bottom screen is a map of the area, with a pulsing red circle meaning Story Progression.

Observations by Alm will be underlined

Orange Tree- Heh. I remember climbing this orange tree as a kid. Even fell out of it once.

Sheep- Grandfather raises sheep. They're cute ald all, but also kind of jerks.

Scorched Marks- Kliff scorched the wall here while practicing some fire spell....

Firewood- This is where we chop wood. ...I know. Thrilling.

We pick up 2 Oranges and a Splitting Axe next to the firewood. These items have their uses later on when the mechanics come up. Alm moves on to the town square.

Well- The village lives or dies by this well.

Alm picks up Carrot, Flour and Drinking Water here. Now to talk to the citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm730BW_TGU

It’s been years since we’ve had a proper harvest. Can’t grow much without rain…
Why has Mila forsaken us? What’s happened to the Earth Mother? She’s killing us by withholding her blessings. The Rigelian Empire will seize our lands and we’ll be too weak to resist…
You’ve heard how well trained their soldiers are, haven’t you? We’ve never toiled or fought for a thing, and we’re about to pay for it…

As you can expect, being so well-off without working hard tends to bite harder on people that never had to deal with the consequences.

Greedy Old Man: But alas, it’s been ages since anyone made a new batch. Valentia’s fanciest nobles would send orders for Ram wine from far and wide. If there are any bottles left, they’re like to be aged to perfection by now. A wine that mature would taste absolutely incredible! I’d give anything for one more glass before Mother Mila calls me home…

So these types of NPCs are the only ones that don't get voiced lines. Quest givers want a specific item or deed done in exchange for valuable items.

I still remember when you were only THIS tall, and now look at you. Sir Mycen has certainly made a strong young man out of you.
I say “Sir” Mycen, but the story is your grandfather was once a famous general. General Mycen! Ha! I always wondered why such a fellow would end up here.
Then again, the woods around Ram have become dangerous as of late. Perhaps it’s for the best that we have him—and YOU—to keep us safe!

King Lima dances at the end of Chancellor Desaix’s puppet strings. The king would rather eat grapes and frolic in a seraglio than actually rule. It’s no wonder the kingdom’s being torn apart by rebellion after rebellion.
I wish someone would come along and save us from ourselves already.
…What’s that? The Mother Mila?
Pah! Like I’d waste my prayers on a goddess as useless as her.

Centuries of prosperity and the one time she's seemingly absent, she's chopped liver. Harsh.

Now to actually move on to the village entrance, where the commotion started.

Alm! Hey. This fellow’s here to see Sir Mycen. He was just about to tell us more.

I see. What does everyone else think about this?

Gray

Sorry, pal, but I still can’t trust a man in full armor. Keep one hand on your hilt while you talk to this guy, yeah?

Gray still feeling the trauma from almost being murdered by Slayde.

Tobin

A knight—can you believe it? What’s he doing in OUR village?
You’d have to practically ride off the edge of the map to find this place!

Faye

Alm! How was sword practice? Everything go okay?
Sir Mycen is far too hard on you… I hope you don’t have any new bruises!

Kliff

He’s sure come a long way just to find a whole lot of nothing…
Whatever he’s here for, I hope he hasn’t brought any trouble with him.

Okay, now let's find out what the red guy's deal with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1-Oi43Z-s4

My name is Lukas. I fight for the Deliverance.

The “Deliverance”? What’s that? Aren’t you one of the Knights of Zofia? The king’s knights?
Oh, I see. I suppose that means word hasn’t yet reached your village.
In that case, please forgive me for heralding such dark news, but…

He met his end some days ago at the hands of Chancellor Desaix.

...drat, newsfeed sucks in Rams Village.

What? You’re saying it was regicide?!

Music: Disquiet

No doubt they promised him lands. Perhaps even a title. Upon Lima’s death, the chancellor and the Rigelian army seized Zofia Castle and began to visit unspeakable injustices upon the king’s people.
Sir Clive—of the Knights of Zofia you mentioned—would have none of it. He formed an army to free us from Rigel and named it the Deliverance.
However, we are outmatched and fast losing this war. We need a hero’s aid.
And so I have come to the home of one of Zofia’s greatest heroes: Sir Mycen.

I'm amused by how we went from rumors of chaos in the kingdom and Mycen being a secret backstory to 100% confirming it in the very next area.

Do you see, Alm? Sir Clive would not have sent me were it not urgent. Will you take me to see your grandfather?
Y-yes, of course.

*Alm and Lukas walk together to Mycen's house*

I knew Zofia was in hot water, but is this guy serious?
So there’s going to be a war?
There already is one, from the sound of things.
But that’s…that’s awful! If Sir Mycen rides off to war, what’ll happen to Alm?
You got me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Why would they have to rewrite the plot

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Considering how many jokes they make on it in heroes, it's probably not a problem to them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

IIRC neither of them knew, though Deirdre might have known before she was mindwiped. Still a pretty loving hard sell for a major plot point in this day and age.

Plot has nothing to do with why I'm 100% certain they will remake Genealogy.

It's by far one of the top 3 most popular franchise in Japan, the Genealogy banner sold incredibly well in FE Heroes. Remaking Genealogy gives more avenue and exposure to bring the rest of the roster to Heroes to loop back.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SoV sold well, and Fire Emblem is at a point where they're getting their own Directs. Fire Emblem Warriors sold 1 million copies. FE Heroes is by a mile Nintendo's most profitable mobile game.

Where the franchise was 8 years ago and where it is today are two completely different places.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ramming to War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9Wz5MO4CI

*sighs*
Lukas! Were you able to speak with my grandfather? What did he say?
He said no. Sir Mycen made it clear he has no intention of joining the Deliverance.
What?
But he’s ridiculously strong! He could defeat some stuffy chancellor with his eyes closed!
Why would he refuse when so many people are suffering?

I’ll have to return to our hideout and bring Sir Clive the ill news.
Perhaps Mycen has simply grown too old for the battlefield.
……!

You better be hoping Mycen didn't hear that if you want your face in one piece.

It was good meeting you, Alm. I must be on my way. Thank you again for your assistance. *Leaves*
He’s not old… He’s tougher than men half his age!

*Alm runs back to the village entrance*

Lukas, wait!
Alm? What is it?

Music: Uprising

I’ll go. I’ll join the Deliverance.
You?
Alm, what the hell?! You can’t do that!
…Wait. CAN he do that?

I’ll admit, you fight like a beast and they’d be lucky to have your sword,
But this isn’t sparring with your gramps, Alm. You’re volunteering to go to war!
I know what it is. And if Grandfather won’t do it, then I’ll do it for him. Consider my sword as his.
Alm, I understand how you feel, but—

I’ve received tutelage in military tactics, medicine, weather, terrain… I know as much about war as any man who has never seen one can.
Let me fight for you with my grandfather’s gifts. I’ll prove he’s no cowardly old man. He’s a warrior who trains warriors.
Hmm… That might just work.
Huh? Then you mean…!

Why not? Alm presents a good case. He has a hero’s blood in him. …And clearly a hero’s fire. His presence is sure to raise the troops’ morale.
And for my part, I’m curious to see what a self-proclaimed warrior can do. Especially now that he’ll be doing it for the Deliverance.
Thank you, Lukas… You won’t regret this!

Alm, you should back out of this. It’s far too dangerous!
If anything were to happen to you, I’d… I mean… Just don’t do it, okay?!
I’m sorry, Faye, but I’ve made up my mind.
But…maybe all of you could come with me?
Er, what?
Splendid idea. Maybe we could all get impaled on the same lance.
I’m just saying we could do it together.
…Fighting, I mean. Not the lance. Grandfather trained all of us, right? Not just me. You already know how to use a sword and a bow. So what’s the problem?
Alm, are you insane? We were sparring with wooden fences and tree trunks! They don’t hit back!

Gray! Not you too?!
Me too, Tobi-poo.
It’s better than waiting for Rigel to reach Ram and kill/enslave us. Might as well bring the fight to them.
But you’re gonna— I mean, once they— …Ugggh!
You have my thanks, Gray. And the Deliverance welcomes you. In the end, we need every able fighter we can get.
There will be much to learn, but I can teach you a great deal in battle. And you’ll be given a proper wage, of course.

Of course. Our soldiers work hard and sacrifice much. We would be remiss not to offer compensation.
I’ve got little brothers and sisters who could use that gold…
Ma and Pa struggle to make ends meet, but if there’s a way to help…Hmm…
Tobin, you don’t have to go if you don’t want to. Why don’t you all take a little time to think about it? Let’s split up for now and meet back here later. I need to go thank my grandfather and say good-bye.

The final moments of Ram Village solitude for Alm is coming to an end. But let's observe the surroundings first.

Watchtower-This tower is so guards can look out for anything suspicious coming our way.

Arrow stuck in sandbags-Tobin must have been using this place for archery practice.

Barricade-This isn't much of a fence, but it still keeps mounted bandits away.

Broken Fence-Gray and I might have gotten a liiiiiittle carried away during sword practice....

The comments give a little hint on what they should specialize. Tobin as an archer, Kliff as a mage, and Gray as a swordsman.

Take all the time you need, Alm. You should pay your respects to Sir Mycen.

*Alm runs back to Mycen's house*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e7a3mTwWrA

Do you have a minute? There’s something I need to speak with you about…
…Grandfather? Hmm, where is he?
Grandfather…? Grandfather!

*Alm walks back to the town square*

My word. Can you believe it? The king—murdered!
What do you suppose happens now? He has no heirs, you know. Not anymore, I mean. They say Chancellor Desaix himself murdered all of ’em in cold blood!
Anyway, hope this “Deliverance” knows who they’ll be delivering to that throne.

Alm, is it true you’re leaving the village? You’ll be sorely missed.
Just be careful, hear? The woods outside Ram are dangerous enough… but once you’re through them, you’ll hit Fleecer’s Forest. The place is crawling with brigands. No one gets through that wood alive…

I heard what the knight said, but it sounds like a load of horse plop to me. Everyone knows it’s Zofia’s fault that Rigel invaded in the first place. King Lima refused to help the Rigelian Empire during their famine, remember?
And we all know the emperor didn’t take too kindly to THAT little slight.
Such a shame. The kingdom and the empire had been getting along so well. The king may be dead, but his choices live on. Ain’t that always the way of it?

*Alm moves on back to the village entrance*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkxZwxkWwE

Tobin! Does this mean you’re coming with us?
Sure am! I could tell Ma and Pa were worried, but I think they’ll understand.
Listen, everyone, try not to be amazed when I show Alm up on the battlefield.
You know they don’t pay extra for that, right, moneybags?

We don’t have any rule stating one’s reasons must be noble.
Now then, Alm. Were you able to say good-bye to your grandfather?
I tried, but…I couldn’t find him.
Well, that IS vexing. I suppose we could tarry here a bit longer if you—
It’s all right. Let’s go.
Oh? Are you certain?
I can write him a letter. Come on, we can’t wait forever.
So be it. I’ll defer to your judgment.

Lukas, Gray, and Tobin join the party. Now we could technically leave now buuut there's no harm in more numbers..

Recruits Faye

I’m coming too! I’m staying with you no matter what! End! Of! Discussion!

Recruits Kliff

You know, I guess I don’t mind going along. The Deliverance is fighting all across Zofia, right?
Well, I’ve always wanted to see the world, and now’s my chance.
…All I have to do is not get killed. Easy, right?

Time to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBrYmqNbsak

Am I sure about what?
Not saying good-bye to your grandfather.
My ma and pa have all my brothers and sisters to look after them. I mean, sure, they’ll miss me— or I hope they will, at any rate—
But family will help them get by, you know? But all Sir Mycen has for kin is you, and all you have is him.
I know. But considering he’s never let me take one step outside the village, I doubt I could have talked him into letting me join an army.
Not that it would have changed things either way—I HAVE to go. Not just to prove him as a teacher, but to prove myself to me.
Well, you’ve always wanted to put Ram behind you, right?
graylaugh: This is your big chance! Your first adventure writ large!

Heh. I don’t think so. Although I admit there might be a little something to what you’re saying. It’s almost as if I feel someone calling out to me.
…So you really have gone crazy then. Welp, it’s been nice knowin’ ya!
Heh. Look, I know how it sounds. But it’s the truth.
Do you think it’s Celica?
What? Celica?
Where the heck did THAT come from?
Oh, please. You two were inseparable while she was here.
You barely made any time for us!
I guess that’s true…

Music: Fate

Celica, are you the one who’s been calling me? I know that you’re out there… I just don’t know where.
But I can feel it. I hope this journey will bring us together again…

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I haven't even gotten into a proper battle yet...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

We can still see the gates

*Pans to the nearest fortress*

Desaix’s men hold it for now, but my fellows in the Deliverance have been fighting to reclaim it. The Deliverance hideout lies beyond the outpost.
We’d best prepare ourselves for a long journey.

Fire Emblem Gaiden was the first game in the franchise to have an overworld, as you travel from node to node with unlimited grinding. Battles in the game are more like skirmishes than full, custom-made levels like most of the games have evolved to.

Ignore Rating, it just shows the total of the stats in the army which means nothing.

The bottom screen shows the node you're currently in, as well as have indicators of any sidequests are active. The Ram Wine quest is currently on.

Time for the first official fight.

Ram Woods Battle

*As Alm's party leave the village, bandits arrive*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqyMGNOEXHs

Music: The Incorrigible

These here woods belong to me and my boys, see?
So if ya wanna be passin’ through, yer gonna have to pay the toll. Ha ha!
Well. That didn’t take long.
Brigands already? But it’s only been minutes—we’re still within sight of the gates!
Worse surprises than this await us, Alm. Is everyone ready?
...Yes.
Come on, let’s clear this rabble out!

Player Phase Music: March to Deliverance (Prologue)

Alm, if I may? You mustn’t rush headlong into battles on your own.
Without experience, your friends will never grow into accomplished fighters. Trust them. Give them something to do.
…At least let them deal the final blow.

The last advice is a little on-the-nose as far as leveling your weaker characters.

Right. That’s good advice. I’ll give it a try!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdOhi4XduWc

Those catch phrases will be imprinted in your brain by the end of a playthrough.

Alm by far is the best unit on the team, despite Luka's veteran experience. Gray is closely third, followed by Tobin. Kliff and Faye are the least viable units, though that makes sense since they're the only ones you have to recruit manually.

Some of the characters have food equipped like Bread. For combat purposes, they're just healing items for 10 HP right now.

The stats I'll dive deeper on a later update, because Gaiden and SoV calculate the numbers very differently than most games, including having a minimum 1 damage taken no matter the defense. That means Lukas can have 10,000 defense but a basic Brigand still deals chip damage.

The Brigands aren't bad here, since even Faye and Kliff can't get doubled by them.

A major departure of SoV is the lack of triangle advantage. We will never have an axe user, nor does it matter because swords and lances are neutral against them. It is the purest numbers game in a long while.

The lessons from the cemetery fight still apply. Stay in cover whenever you can, to reap those sweet 40% dodge bonuses.

Enemy Battle Music: The Fiend's Rapture

Alm does a fancy backflip for this counter attacks.

Dodging attacks isn't just a player thing. Enemies will also have neat defensive animations as well.

Also, seriously Lukas? You missed on a 92%?

Player Battle Music: The Dauntless Blade

Only makes sense that attacks started by the player is them running in, since that's how you naturally approach most battles.

Lukas, Alm, and Gray's job are to weaken the Brigands enough so that the others get the massive kill bonus experience for the finishing blow.

Here's the Villager counterattack animation.

And Alm finishes the battle. Battles honestly aren't going to be too in-depth since a majority of the maps are open-field with little gimmicks involved.

A victory screen will inform who killed what, and then extra survival EXP will be given to party members. So even party members that barely did anything will eventually level up.

After the battle

That was some fine swordsmanship, Alm. I can see you have more than a bit of your grandfather in you.
You think so?

Party Overview

Alm

HP-60
Atk-50
SKL-55
SPD-45
LCK-35
DEF-50
RES-3

To say that Alm is arguably the strongest physical fighter is an understatement. His starting stats are high, his growths are among the best in the game, and he gets unique access to powerful weapons much easier than other party members.

The resistance is not a typo. Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia did not care about magic resistance to non-mages.

Lukas

HP-50
Atk-40
SKL-40
SPD-25
LCK-30
DEF-45
RES-2

Lukas is a decent fighter, but his main flaw has to do with his incredibly low speed and being in a bad class. Soldier is the Gaiden's Knight line of the franchise, being stuck at the lowest movement and speed modifier.

Combined with the general low resistance growth among physical fighters, and he crumples like wet toilet paper against magic...and honestly, many endgame enemies since he'll always be doubled.

Gray

HP-45
Atk-40
SKL-30
SPD-30
LCK-25
DEF-25
RES-0

Tobin

HP-40
Atk-30
SKL-50
SPD-25
LCK-30
DEF-30
RES-0

Kliff

HP-35
Atk-30
SKL-45
SPD-60
LCK-20
DEF-40
RES-0

Faye

HP-40
Atk-40
SKL-30
SPD-30
LCK-30
DEF-40
RES-3

Alm's village comrades will be talked about in-depth in the future, since class changing will be covered and the kids aren't staying in the Villager class for long.

Tae fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 8, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can start as a Peg in FE 12. Even an armored unit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Quick Bout

Time for the next bout.

Fleecer's Forest Battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnaXrDlAgwQ

What is it, Lukas?

*The two stay hidden from the targets*

Hrrm…
More brigands? It seems the rumors were no exaggeration.

Based on their numbers, I surmise they must have a hideout nearby. But we can ill afford to pick fights with every cutpurse and rogue we encounter.
Let’s sit back and lay low until they depart.

She’ll certainly add some color to that run-down old shrine! Gar har har!
Gar har har! She’s prettier’n the boss, that’s for sure!
What? They’ve taken a prisoner?!
Alm? Let’s just be calm and… Alm?! Alm, wait, don’t —

*Alm brandishes his blade at the bandits*

Hold it, you lecherous pigs!
Huh? Who the hell are you?
Release the woman you’re holding at once, or else!

Ya must really want a knife in the belly if yer slingin’ taunts at the likes of us.
So much for laying low…
To arms, everyone!

He can strike from a distance, so we must plan our approach carefully. Whoever goes after him needs to finish him quickly or be ready for a reprisal.
If you’re not strong enough to take an arrow or two, stay well away.

Archers are a bit different in Gaiden, as they have a minimum range of 1 like regular weapons. And Bowrange+1 means that they have a range of 1-3. Sounds amazing, right?

Nooot quite. This is a relatively simple battle, so we can dive deeper into what makes the Gaiden numbers.

They don't have an actual bandit archer so here's a fancy soldier I guess.

What makes Gaiden tick?

Let's go over the basic stats first:

HP=Health
ATK=Damage
Skill=Hitting things
SPD=If you attack twice or not
LCK=Modifier for other math stuff
DEF=How hard you take physical damage
RES=How hard you take magical damage
MOV=How many tiles you can go

-Attack Speed is determined by if you are faster than your enemy's speed by 1. 21 speed doubles 20, 20 only attacks once against 20, 19 gets doubled by 20.

Most other games requires 4 or 5, so speed has never been more important than in SoV.

-Hit rate for physical weapons is the weapon's accuracy+Skill. Magic is just the spell's accuracy. Most other games have Skillx2 as a modifier, so hitting stuff in this game is extremely not consistent.

-Dodging physical weapons is just speed, while Magic gets a tiny boost in being speed+luck. The most common formula for other games is basically speedx2 + luck.

-So in summary, hitting stuff is really hard to do with low hit formula and terrain bonus being gigantic boosts ranging from 20 to 60 percent avoidance.

-Damage taken is minimum 1, meaning literally the worst soldier can eventually defeat the highest defense with enough hits.

Back to the actual battle, the strategy is to simply camp in the forests and force the bandits to attack with no terrain bonus.

So we know how hit rates work. Swords, Axes, and Lances by default have 90 accuracy. Bows have 70. So that's why bows aren't as threatening as they look despite the 1-3 range.

Just want to mention that I love archers finally showing off the range of their attacks with the zoom forward on the arrows.

We get our first level for our units. Despite the stat gains, this is actually pretty good for SoV outside of Alm.

I can't stress enough that nearly everything is voiced, including level-ups. So when you hit an empty level, you can hear their emotional distraught.

Do not fight bosses on healing tiles ever. Just bait them out.

Oh look, a mechanic we'll see in a couple updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj2ENpDjcxI

Sorry, Lukas. My legs were moving before I had a chance to even think.
Valor is nothing to be sorry for. Now come. Let’s find this prisoner they spoke of.
They mentioned a shrine, yes? It must be nearby.

What’s that shrine?
Oh yeah, guess you wouldn’t know since you’ve been stuck in the village.
Shrines like this were built by folks so they had a place to worship Mila, but famine and other problems kinda put a damper on most Zofians’ piety.
Now they’re mostly just home to brigands and the like.
Then the woman who was taken captive must be inside…

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Cavern of Creeps

Exploring in dungeons and such started in Gaiden and made its return decades later in a new way.

I’m only the stupid watchman! I just WATCH things! Eeeek! *Runs away*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prpf6u1AKBc

Music: Battle Preparations

Unlike in most other areas, dungeon exploring limits your party to 10 party members. Not a problem right now, of course.

Dungeon crawling is done via a third person view. The Mini-map at the bottom shows the layout and enemies if they're nearby.

The dank smell of mold permeates the shrine. It’s foul, like the rogues who crawl about the place.
How could this house to the Mother have become such a welcome haven for brigands?

A button is attack for busting breakable objects and getting a strike on an enemy to do tiny damage at the start of combat.

B Button is to run fast, but it's momentum-based, meaning it's hard to turn. Dashing then attacking does a charge tackle.

Dungeon battles are usually pretty simple layouts, with the potential of additional enemies popping out from the side. That all depends on how many enemies are close to each other when you start a battle. Sometimes it's better to bait out each enemy sprite.

Health is refilled after each completed battle, so go all out.

There are limits to dungeon exploring, however. When you do certain actions enough, the character becomes Fatigued when the actions equal to the maximum health. So if Alm enters combat equal to his health, he starts out with less HP in future fights.

Not a big deal, since exiting the Dungeon or eating food at shrines resets it entirely. And the penalty is just lower starting health and not stats.

Break items or certain grass gives Silver Marks which is currency for forging equipment. You can technically farm Silver Marks but it takes a really long time and you get enough from story anyway.

The only levels that really matter for now is Alm, and he gets a good one. Since Speed is king and Alm doesn't have promotion access compared to his comrades, he's more reliant on growths.

There's a "hidden" path here behind some boxes that lead to a chest.

The treasure was an Iron Sword, which will be given to Tobin for some extra firepower.

A short distance away, Alm exits to the north.

You got nerve bargin’ in here just as I was gettin’ to the main event.
Kill ’em, boys! …And be creative about it.

Man, they're just begging to be killed at every nasty sentence.

Same ole Brigands, a random Archer, and the boss of the bandits. He has high attack, and his speed is good enough to double the weaker characters like Faye.

The objective here is to just kill the leader Since EXP is infinite, there's less incentive to kill the mooks outside of items they hold.

Basic strategy here is to just let Lukas, Gray, and Alm take the brunt of the attacks while the others chip in.

Something that's been going on during battles is a flash of aura light between characters after a battle sequence. Supports during battle like the GBA games are back, with fully voiced conversations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYsCfTs0SG4

There you are, Alm!
Hello, Faye. How’s it going?
I’m doing just fine now. Seeing your face is always a bright spot in my day.
Heh. Well, I’m glad it’s not a low point.
Now, shall I head back out there and slay more of your enemies for you?!
Slay…enemies for me? Um…
Er, I would hope you’re doing it for a better reason than just…me.
Oh! Is THAT what you want?
…Because I’ll do it.
I’ll fight for any cause you desire! Just promise you’ll be watching, Alm! Promise to look at me!
Faye, I… Look, just please be careful, all right?

Future supports will be added at the end of updates.

Urgh. Who do you think you are? Saving one wench won’t make this world any less of a pit!

Combat's still not much to show off with the limited options I have right now.

The boss drops a Ram Wine, which is a quest item back in Ram Village if you remember.

Music: Melody of Water

Mila Shrines are basically the Walmart of Valentia. They look the same with the same function in every dungeon.

The functions of the room will go into a deep dive next update.

Mila Idol-It's a statue of Mother Mila.

Alm picked up a Mana Herb, which acts like food. Now time to talk to the hostage we rescued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUu-QpcMufw

Nnngh… Wh-who are you? How did I get here?
You’re in a shrine. Some brigands kidnapped you and took you here. Don’t worry, they’re gone. We dealt with them before they could do you any harm.
I see. Thank you, sir. After those ruffians seized me, I passed out…
Ugh… I don’t want to think about it.
What’s your name?

I hail from a priory far to the east, on the island of Novis.
So, uh, Silque… What brings a woman of the cloth like you so far from home?
*gasp* My mission! I nearly forgot! I must find a man named Sir Mycen. Are we far from Ram Village?
Are you serious? Ram’s our home! Sir Mycen is my grandfather.
What? You’re Sir Mycen’s…grandson?
……!

That's a oddly specific thing, must be the real deal.

What, this?
Sure. Pretty strange for a birthmark, huh? And that’s not even the weirdest part. A long time ago, a girl in my village had the same mark on her hand.
So you’re the one sh—
Huh? What is it, Silque?
Sir Alm, I have something for you.
Here. Please take this.

It’s called Mila’s Turnwheel. It’s a relic that contains some of the Earth Mother’s power.
I believe it will be of great use to you.

This is the item that lets you rewind turns for a limited number of times.

Are you sure? You were supposed to give this to my grandfather, right?
No. This is definitely for you.
Now that you have left your village and embarked upon an auspicious journey, the Turnwheel will become a vital tool during the trials ahead.
Okay… Well, thank you. I promise to take good care of it.
By the way, how do you use it?
You don’t use it. It uses you. When the time is right, the Turnwheel will give you a sign.
O…kay? I’m not sure I understand, but I’ll take your wor—

*The screen flashes*

Ah!
It appears that Mother Mila already wishes to show you something.

What’s happening?!

*Screen flashes again*

That’s Zofia Castle! This is our kingdom? What happened here? Is the Deliverance too late?!

*Vision stops, Alm returns back*

AAAAAH!
Sir Alm, what did you see?
It was… It was so clear!
Silque, it was horrible!
Be calm. What you saw in the vision is not the present.

Her power is sight.
So the vision is something that’s going to happen?
Something that COULD happen. If the vision was ill-boding, perhaps it was a sign—
A sign that the Mother wishes for you to take action in order to prevent it.
……

In my travels, I have witnessed the sorry state of our kingdom. With no goddess to bless them and no king to rule, most Zofians are at a loss.
And I, for one, refuse to stand by and watch them suffer. I would ask for permission to accompany you on your quest.

Silque joins the party as our first healer. Next update will go into promotions, class changes, and magic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Deep Dive: Promoting Magic

Statue: Present to me those that are worthy.
statue: By my master's will shall I bestow upon them new power.

Time to take a deep dive into the class system and magic, cause it gets weird and unique for Gaiden.

-Make Offering: Eat food here to relieve of fatigue. As mentioned before, not really a thing to worry about outside of super long dungeons.

-Change Class: Obvious.

-Turnwheel: A sub-menu of options.

-Memory Prisms: Prisms are items you collect and find through the first person navigation that unlock story cutscenes.

-Support Log: Replays conversations that you unlocked.

-amiibo: Use one to summon a one-turn DLC character to help out.

Class Change

All of Alm's friends can promote now, as the minimum threshold for Villagers to change is level 3.

What makes a major difference in how promotion works in Gaiden/SoV is that you are incentivized to promote immediately.

Let's take Kliff for example. These are his current stats.

These are his stats after he promotes to Cavalier. No, these are not promotion bonuses. Stats in promoting here are raised to the base stats of the new class, if they are below. Meaning Kliff will always have a minimum of 9 attack even if he didn't gain a single point as a Villager. Anything above the base stats of the new class is kept.

Characters that promote, reset back to level 1 without any penalty to experience earning. Meaning if say you reset an endgame character back to Villager, they gain EXP as if you're starting the game over.

Cavalier Base stats:
HP: 24
Atk: 9
Skl: 3
Spd: 5
Lck: 0
Def: 5
Res: 2
Mov: 7

Soldier is Lukas's class, which is effectively a Knight/General type. They are defensively strong, but slow in both stats and movement. Honestly, one of the worst classes for this game because of how important speed is as a stat.

Soldier Base stats:
HP: 26
Atk: 10
Skl: 1
Spd: 3
Res: 0
Mov: 4

Mercenaries for whatever reason give an absurd 10 base speed at promotion, meaning Kliff goes from okay speed to faster than Alm as soon as level 3.

Mercs are by the best overall class option for melee, with tremendous speed and skill in a game that gives heavy favor towards those two stats.

Merc Base stats:
Atk: 8
Skl: 8
Spd: 10
Def: 4
Res: 1

Archers are okay, because of how their hit rate formula is worse than most weapons. Their advantage is being physical range and having access to the Killer Bow, a weapon that turns any schmuck into a war machine.

Archer Base stats:
Spd: 2
Def: 3
Res: 0

Mages are also treated very differently in Gaiden/SoV. Magic takes health to cast, and almost every character has a set list of spells they can learn. The spells that Kliff can learn is very different than what Tobin or Gray can use.

Mages (Male) Base stats:
HP: 20
Skl: 3
Spd: 4
Res: 8

Female characters have their own set of promotion options, taking out Archer and Mercs for Peg Knights and Cleric.

Peg Knights are not as good as Cavaliers stat-wise, but their main strength is the ability to traverse over terrain. Terrain is a much bigger factor in this game, so the slight loss in stats is a good exchange.

Peg Knight Base stats:
Skl: 4
Spd: 7
Lck: 6
Def: 4
Res: 6
Mov: 7

Clerics heal, but more important have access to some incredible support magic. Faye's list specifically has one of the best spells in Rescue that changes how to approach battles.

Cleric Base stats:
HP: 18
Atk: 7
Skl: 2
Spd: 4
Lck: 4
Def: 1
Res: 10

Female mages for some reason have different base stats than male ones.

Mage (female) Base stats:
Spd: 7
Lck: 5
Def: 2
Res: 10

The next set of classes will be in a future update when one of our characters reach the level.

Magic

Spells have a set HP cost to cast, and you can't cast them if you're below the threshold. So if you attack an enemy mage at 5 health to 1 health, the mage can't cast a spell in retaliation because he doesn't have enough anymore.

Spells also have weight, meaning some spells will double enemies while others will be hard pressed to with how harsh their penalties are.

Most characters in the game have their own list of magic, with the exceptional few having a generic bad list of spells to learn.

Keep in mind that if you promote a spellcaster before they learn all the spells, it'll take the difference of when you learn it to when you promote plus one level.

For example, Silque learns a spell at level 14. But she can promote at level 10, so her spell learned at Cleric level 14 is now next learned
at Saint level 5.

Gray

Fire: Costs 1 HP, 3 mt, 1-2 range, 80 hit, 3 wt
Sagittae: Costs 8 HP, 16 mt, 1-3 range, 70 hit, 11 wt
Thunder: Costs 2 HP, 4 mt, 1-3 range, 70 hit, 5 wt

Tobin

Excalibur: Costs 3 HP, 5 mt, 1-2 range, 95 hit, 1 wt

Kliff

Faye (Mage)

Seraphim: Costs 4 HP, 7 mt, 1-2 range, 90 hit, 4 wt, Anti-Terror

Faye (Cleric)

Recover: Costs 1 HP, 1 range, Restores an adjacent ally’s HP (8 mt)
Nosferatu: Free, 0 mt, 1-2 range, 60 hit, 2 wt, Absorbs HP equal to damage dealt to enemy
Physic-Costs 3 HP, 1 to Attack stat range, Restores a distant ally’s HP (6 mt)
Rescue: Costs 6 hp, 1 to Attack stat/2 range, Transports a distant ally next to user

Silque

Warp: Costs 8 HP, 1 range, Teleports an ally to Attack stat/2 squares away
Expel: Costs 14 hp, 1 to attack stat/2 range, Banishes basic Terrors in range (Hit 65)
Invoke Dread: Costs 12 HP, 2-3 range, Summons up to 8 Dread Fighter NPCs

Generic

Vote:

Plainly list out the villager and their new class. I'll tally it up at the end in a few days.

Silque

HP-45
Atk-40
SKL-35
SPD-30
LCK-60
DEF-40
RES-2

As your first healer in the party, depending on Faye's promotion, she's a really simple character to wield. Her spell list is kinda meh outside of Warp and Invoke, but you don't need much to be good as a healer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Technically yes, but Nosferatu's hit rate is awful and you can't really improve it easily.

I'm ending votes now and counting it up. You'll see the results next update.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Promotion and side stuff

Gray becomes a Merc, gaining tremendous speed and a nifty cape. He goes from okay fighter to a second Alm essentially.

Tobin picks up the physical range part of combat for the team, and his speed is pretty good so far at +4 to the Archer's base.

Archers gain Bowrange +1 to bump up their range even further.

Faye becomes a second Cleric of the team, which breaks the game's difficulty in many ways.

Faye has decent HP and good defense to make her a weird tanky cleric, compared to Silque.

Kliff becomes arguably the best damage dealer on the team, with how pathetic most enemies are with resistance. He also gains a massive tick in HP, even more than Mercs.

Now let's do some base conversations. These are 1-on-1 supports between the character and Alm, and they update through story progression. It keeps the entire party more alive and active with input on the journey, which is a problem most FE games have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy-COFwq5FA

The school in town that I went to was closed because of the war.
At first, I was glad to leave that place, return to the village, and kick back, but then I remembered how little there is to learn inside a small village.
I never hated learning, per se…
I just hated all the other hellish parts of attending school. The other students would hound me from sun’s rise to set.
Just a bunch of lonely little children desperate for friends…
…What? Don’t grin at me like that. I mean it.

…Me? Well, let’s just say I’m figuring things out.
Lukas keeps talking about kings and politics, but that does little for me.
I’m actually just in it for the gold. I have a family to feed, after all.
Well, that and I’m not about to let you outshine me!
Hey, don’t look at me like that. You don’t know what you’re up against!

Occasionally, shrines will contain these water fountains that permanently boost a stat by 1. Pity those that went here first before promoting.

The shrines here boost HP and speed. With how promotions work in SoV, it's best to give Alm the boosts since his promotion is relatively late and he's the one that will actually reach max level.

The team goes back to Ram Village to get some more base conversations and to complete a couple sidequests.

Just going into town with Pa for supplies used to be a fight for survival.
I worry a little place like Ram won’t last long in times like these. Honestly, I really don’t care one way or another about the kingdom.
I don’t have the kind of direction you do.
It’s more like I just have a nagging desire to do SOMETHING. So I thought if I joined the Deliverance, I might figure out what that is.

Have you grown accustomed to all the fighting yet?
…Ah, of course. I suppose I needn’t even have asked.
No matter how quiet a village you hail from, in the hands of a capable teacher, one can become every bit as strong as a royal knight. I find that thought quite inspiring.
I grew up in the borderlands as well, though not the same as yours.
Some in the Deliverance ridicule me for this, calling me a “backwater noble.” But unlike them, I rose above my origins on my own merits, and as a result, here I stand today.
You never can truly tell where life is going to take you, Alm.

So there's a pretty standard superiority divide between the nobles and the commoners. And unfortunately, that's still a factor among the Deliverance ranks, apparently.

Here's the old guy from before that wanted that wine. Which we have now.

Old Man: This aroma! Berry… Leather… Straw… This is Ram wine for true! Thank you. You’ve made an old man very happy this day, so you have. …Here. I was saving this to go with the wine, but I want you to have it.

We get Blue Cheese which heals for 40 HP, and some Renown. Renown is useless street pass rank stuff, so ignore it.

Here's another side-quest that opened up since visiting the shrine.

Indignant Woman: I ran from those brigands until my sides were ready to split. So undignified! And while I’m happy to be alive, those thugs stole everything I bought. Oh, I never should have gone at all! You MUST go teach those ruffians some manners. I’ll make it worth your while! They should really feel it, so make sure to give 20 of them a sound thrashing! That will teach them to mess with the likes of me. Hmph! They’re holed up in the awful Thieves’ Shrine. As if they’d be anywhere else!

Beat 20 bandits, get reward. Unfortunately, it's not grandfathered so you have to start from 0 when you start this.

Indignant Woman: Ooo! You look like someone who has just made 20 brigands’ lives miserable. I feel so much better already. Who knew revenge was so great?! Well, I told you I would make it worth your while, so here you go.

She gives a Fruit of Life, which raises the max HP by 2. Gonna save that for a rainy day.

She was a cleric as well. As for my father, I fear I never met him.
When I was little, my mother and I went on a long pilgrimage.
So you see, I’m quite used to grueling marches such as this. I can look at the sky and read the weather. I know which plants are edible.
So if you find yourself wanting for advice, simply say the word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3_m2XXZkA

You always were braver than me. I remember when we were children and those knaves cornered us in the woods.
You came to our rescue like a knight in shining armor.
Ha ha. Look at you! You’re blushing! But it’s true.
You’ve always been my knight, you know? Then and now.

Supports

Tobin-Kliff

Hey, look who’s here!
What do you want, Tobin?
Don’t talk to me unless you need something.
Wow! What crawled up your armor?
You know, you’ve been testier than usual lately. Did I do something wrong?
Nope. You’re imagining it. Now how about we get back to fighting and forget all this small talk? *leaves*
What? …Hey! Come on, Kliff, would you just… *sigh*

Gray-Tobin

*sigh* It goes, I guess.
Uh, do you think you could sound a little less cheerful?
I don’t know, you tell me. Why did you have to—
Huh?
Ugh, never mind. Forget it. *leaves*
Wait, what did I do?

Faye-Silque

Oh, Silque! We seem to keep running into each other here on the battlefield.
Yes, well, I was hoping we could get to know each other better. There are so few of us women fighting alongside Sir Alm, after all.
And there are many things I wish to talk about that aren’t for the ears of men.
Well, um… I don’t think that kind of friendship is for me. Sorry.
Huh?
I’d rather spend time near Alm than stand about gossiping. No offense.
Anyway… Good luck, I guess! *leaves*

What in Mila’s name just happened?

Stats for the update

There's going to be a lot of incidental random battles offscreen, so I'll post updates in the stats for characters. This is mostly off of doing the 20 bandit sidequest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shieldy McMerc

Time to get back to the story, which we'll see an immediate spike in difficulty.

Storming of Ram valley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUpPlzrCYwg

Alm. Look up there.
Huh?
That uniform…!

There's a lone Mercenary perched at the top of the cliff above them.

That looks like a Zofian soldier.
Is he one of Desaix’s men?
Yes. We’ll see more of them, now that we’re nearing the Southern Outpost.
It seems Desaix’s men have hired brigands to hold the valley for them. This will be a tricky fight.
…I’m ready.

Take a closer look at that soldier. He’s armed with a leather shield. It’ll be difficult to land blows on him.
We could take the shield for ourselves… IF we manage to defeat him.

This guy's a doozy of an enemy. 13 speed is obscenely high and doubles everyone in our squad. He also hits hard, and more importantly takes very little damage with that Leather Shield that grants +3 defense.

As you saw with Ram Wine, green highlights means that the item drops after you defeat the enemy.

The strategy for this battle is to run up ahead to fight the northeast enemies, so you don't get pincer-ed by the Merc above.

You have about 10 turns or so to kill everyone else, as the Merc can only move a couple squares at best down the cliff.

Gray is a enemy magnet for the team, as he has the weakest defense out of Alm and Lukas. Works out well since he can double and nearly put every enemy to critical health for the others to pick off.

Every single point of skill is valuable to Tobin for how bad Archers are at hitting things.

Standard Mage attack animation. Mages in Valentia don't use spellbooks, no idea if that's why they take damage when casting spells compared to the Archanea spell slingers.

So I mentioned that Faye being a Cleric kinda breaks the game. I wasn't just talking about her unique set of spells.

I'm talking straight up free EXP with healing since using Recover always gives 9 EXP. And since Faye has to pay HP to heal, it feeds an endless loop of healing EXP that starts with one tiny scratch.

Also partly why I'm not going to show levels for Faye and Silque since they'll hit promotion pretty fast.

The only stat that kinda matters for Gray right now is Attack, since the base stat for the next promotion is only 11.

The only stat that matters here is Luck, since Lukas hit 7 which lets him promote to Knight. A majority of his stats are about to get massively upgraded.

Alm isn't subject to the weirdness of Gaiden. Every level matters for him. Good speed growth so far.

The stats look out for Kliff are Speed and Defense. The Sage base stats are kinda pathetic, so cross the fingers for his good speed growth to pull through.

Kliff picks up Thunder for less accurate but safer sniping.

Gray is usually known to coast off his classes' base stats, so him contributing is a welcome surprise.

You might've noticed faces that appear at the combat forecast in the upper left. Gray has a support tree with Tobin, but none with Alm. Despite that, Alm gives a flat support bonus all the same, so think of it as a C rank that you don't have to work for.

For this specific case, Gray is getting +10 hit/+3 crit (5 from C rank Tobin, 5 and 3 crit from Alm).

The safest way to deal with the Merc is to box him in with Lukas/Gray/Alm, since they have the bulk to take even a crit and survive.

Kliff's mage powers are very important for situations like this where physical bouts are a losing proposition.

Gray has done enough combat to learn a Combat Art, a new addition to SoV.

Arts are manual abilities you can activate at the cost of HP for combat. Wrath Strike costs 1 HP, but gives +5 MT and +10 hit.

There are two two downsides to combat arts. First, arts are locked to the character and not the weapon. If Gray picks up another weapon with Wrath Strike, it's already available to him. If Alm uses the Iron Sword, he has to build up the battles to unlock the ability.

The second downside is that you cannot attack twice with a Combat Art (with few exceptions). It is a tactical decision to use a powerful, accurate one shot or use your natural speed to attack twice.

A perfect example of when to apply the Combat Art, as the Merc class line is usually too fast for your party to outspeed. More than the boost to attack, the boost to hit rate is why Combat Arts are important with how bad the formula is for SoV.

With the Leather Shield in tow, the party proceeds forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBdskrTEH7c

You have my thanks.
We’ll soon reach the Southern Outpost, which is under Deliverance control. Once we’ve rejoined our comrades, the fights ahead will become easier.
Comrades, huh?
I wonder what they’re like? I’m excited to meet them!

*A soldier runs up to them*

It’s good to see you made it back safely.
I recognize you. You were stationed at the outpost.
Has something happened? Why are you here?
Forgive us, Sir Lukas, but…
The tides turned after you left, and we were forced to abandon the outpost. I’m afraid Lady Clair was taken captive. Desaix’s men hold her there even now.

Lukas…
This is my fault. Lady Clair is new to military command. I should have left her in more experienced hands.
Don’t blame yourself, Lukas. Sir Clive sent you to Ram Village. right? You didn’t have a choice.
If blame lies with anyone, it’s him.
……
Regardless, standing here accomplishes nothing. We need a plan. I assume this Clair person is still alive, right?
In that case, we just have to take back the Southern Outpost and save her!

How are WE supposed to reclaim a fortress from trained royal soldiers?!
I don’t know, but we have to find a way. Otherwise, our journey is already over.
Here and now, we make our decision. Will we live our lives as simple villagers?
…Or will we fight on as soldiers of the Deliverance?!
But Alm…

Gray!
Tobin!
…Listen, just stop and think about this. I know it’s hard, but try.
Clair is a GIRL. And if we save a GIRL…
Eh? You follow?

Yes, because it’s gold. This is GIRLS. Don’t you like girls?
I mean, I admit they’re…not bad?
You see? We speak the same language. So you’re in, right?

Smack them in the head

Except “thank you.” You’re very brave to do this. The Deliverance is lucky to have you.
Same goes for you, Lukas.
One thing, Alm… You may be right that some of the blame lies with Sir Clive…
But please, tread soft with him regardless.
Lady Clair is his younger sister. I’m sure no one’s head is hanging lower than his own right now.
Oh. Lukas, I…
I’m sorry. You’re right.

Kliff-Tobin B Support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU4e20I43kI

Hey, Kliff. What’s new?
Are you kidding? I thought I told you—
Yeah, yeah. No small talk. Guess I forgot.
Or else you’re doing it on purpose to get under my skin.
Heh heh.
I really can’t stand when you do that. *Leaves*
Yeesh. Do you want to talk about it? Maybe need a hug?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Before I get to the next story battle, it's time for a quick pit stop to the Mila shrine for Lukas to promote.

Lukas gains massive physical stats to be even more untouchable for a long while until Mages enter the fray.

Attack on the Southern Outpost

Watch out. That archer is carrying a powerful bow. We should only send in capable—and cautious—units to deal with him.

Enemies aren't really special here except for this archer with a Steel Bow. That weapon's range is 1-3, so he has slightly more reach and power than Tobin, but his speed totally tanks.

Literally anyone can double him with his 0 effective value.

…More rebels? Ha! Haven’t you dogs learned your lesson yet?
We’re not rebels… We’re the Deliverance!
Everyone! With me!

Gameplan is simple here. Bait out all the aggressive enemies with Alm/Lukas, clean up with the range fighters for easy EXP.

Thunder is noticeably way worse accuracy-wise than Fire, but in context of general hit rates it's actually pretty high. Being to bypass terrain evasion bonus and not being reliant on Skill is a huge benefit, especially later on when generic tiles give 20% evasion for no reason.

Armors can't exactly run, so their version of the momentum start is pulling out their shield.

Kliff is already surpassing expectations by keeping up his speed. He honestly doesn't need it as his main job is easily taking out armors, but doubling archers is a nice bonus.

Gray only got 1 stat for his level, but it was the most important in Attack. Now at level 7, Gray can promote to Myrmidon which will massively boost his speed.

And Kliff saved me many turns of walking around the fortress to reach that one soldier on a defensive tile.

Thank you, my brave friends. Thank you for everything. I know that my fallen comrades would say the same.
Oh, Lukas. I’m so sorry. But we’ll have time to mourn later.
Right now, we must find Lady Clair. She must be somewhere inside the outpost.

It's a small area, but full of good loot.

Items: Drinking Water, Iron Lance, Wine, Rusted Shield

Iron Lance is a weapon, Rusted Shield is one of those useless items that get special once you reach a forge.

Weapons-I bet you'd fight better if you didn't leave your weapons lying around.

Windows-*Cough cough* Gods, there's more dust than air in here!

General area-I'm told this place was built 200 years ago as a defense against pirates.

Next to the War Room

Items: Wine, Ale, Rusted Sword, Cold Soup, Lightning Sword

Lightning Sword is one of the best weapons period for basically the first 60% of the game. It has 15 magical MT, 1-2 range, 80 hit, and basically ignores the user's stats. That means literally the weakest 0 attack Gray can deal massive damage to many units because Resistance isn't a thing.

The only downside is that it reduces speed by 3, but luckily the Merc class has overkill speed as the perfect match. Weapon's not that great on Alm because his speed isn't absurd, and he gets a better sword later.

Table-Guess no had time to clean up before they took off.

Supplies-This is mostly just junk.

Weapons-Lots of weapons scattered around...Somebody left in a big hurry.

Now to find Clair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbgSE7wBtbw

Lukas! You came to rescue me! Why, how simply gallant of you…
Now extricate me from this filthy and unseemly cage at once!

Items: Hard Bread x2, Holey Cheese, Leftover Ale, Cell Key

Table-A table and chairs for the guards. Those do NOT look comfortable.

Dungeon-Ugh. Glad I don't have to spend any time in here.

Dungeon 2-I wonder if any prisoners ever banged a tin cup on the bars....

Pile of Weapons-Rigel must have taken these weapons from their prisoners.

Alm opens the door to let out Clair.

With Pride in your Heart

Who, me? …Oh, uh, sorry.
Very good. I say, it DOES feel good to move about again!
I thought I might never emerge from that disgusting pigsty.
You have my thanks, er…
This is Alm. He recently joined us in the Deliverance.
Oh! Well, how simply lovely. Welcome!

Um…
It’s a pleasure to meet you, milady.

Uh…I “hail” from a little place called Ram Village.
A village? You don’t say!
That’s one of those places with all the cows and the barns and the fields, yes?
Um…yeah. Something like that.
My word! I hardly ever speak with villagers!
What is it like to chase cows every day? I wager they bite, the nasty creatures.
Hmm… And yet, you aren’t smothered in manure. This is not what I pictured.
Right. Um…

His… Huh?
Oh dear, have I done it again? It’s as Clive constantly reminds me:
“The Deliverance is not like the Knights of Zofia. Not every soldier in our ranks is noble, but we must treat them all as equals.”
The peasant must forgive his lady for this gauche breach of etiquette.
It’s all right. The peasant—whose name is Alm—will get over it.
Oh, Alm! I can see you are truly kind.
Might I ask you more about your village later? I’m ever so curious!
Of course.
Splendid! I’ve always wanted to know more about cows and pigs and such.
Yes, they’re…they’re amazing creatures…

And Clair officially joins the party.

Yeah, I uh… *cough* That’s what I’m hoping.
Hmm…
Hey, what are you schemin’?
Wh-what? Nothing!
Uh-huh…

Faye-Silque Support B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28FqUmGZ8tk&feature=youtu.be

Faye! There you are!

Hello again, Silque. You sure are persistent.
I would like to make a proposal. If you don’t like gossip, why don’t we talk about Sir Alm?
He’s something we can bond over, don’t you think?
Talking about Alm isn’t fun unless Alm himself is there.
Look, it’s okay. Not everyone has to be friends, right? *leaves*
Faye? …Faye?
*sigh* I’ve lost her again…

Clair

Growth

HP-35
Atk-40
SKL-55
SPD-70
LCK-50
DEF-30
RES-2

Clair is all about speed. Her mobility is good to get over the harsh terrain of SoV and generally getting into fortresses much earlier. She should be more for finishing off enemies from a far range after Lukas, Alm, and Gray weaken the enemy forces.

Flier utility is more limited here than in many other games, since Rescuing/Pairing up isn't a mechanic to ferry characters over.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm still the tutorial part of the game, spoilers of any kind is overkill at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Greetings, Fellow [Peasants]

Before we get on with the path to the Deliverance, let's talk to this random soldier suddenly here.

You’re new to the Deliverance, right? Then you’ll want to hear this.
They say Mother Mila has disappeared from her temple. That’s why Rigel was able to break the Divine Accord, which was supposed to prevent them from ever invading Zofia.
I don’t know how much of it’s true, but it’s disturbing nonetheless.

So this goddesss Mila disappearing caused two major things: fertility of the land being dead and I guess some magic barrier that kept the northern forces out. Seems like a big deal.

Even more delaying, we head back to the shrine to promote Gray into a Myrmidon. You might think he's upgrading relatively fast but this isn't a terribly long game and promoting asap is the optimal strategy.

Gray is already at the baseline of the next promotion for ATK, so any points extra on level-ups is a bonus for him.

The next couple battles are just going to be skirmishes with no real objective other than to fight.

First Battle of Southern Zofia

A bunch of soldiers near a fort while two cavaliers waaaay in the left that'll approach as the battle rages on.

Here's a good summary of Gray's combat log for a majority of the game: Doubling enemies with minimal resistance and almost one-shotting them.

The animations in Echoes are kinetic enough, but the mercs line definitely takes it to a new level.

The Cavs are a bit worrying since they have high strength and good speed relatively to most of the party.

Anyone that's not Lukas, Alm, or Gray is not fit to take on multiple fights by themselves.

You're not helping my case, Alm

Tobin's basically 1 point away from the Sniper bases, which goes to show either how blessed Tobin is or how bad the Sniper bases are.

Him being 2 points over the Sniper's base speed should tell you everything about how their stats are.

Well, good news for Lukas is that he has one more promotion in the future. Basically the only noteworthy stats he can improve upon is luck and skill since he's already hit the base stats for those.

Even with the Iron Lance, Clair is going to have a hard time winning fights outside of eliminating weakened foes. And bad news is that unlike most classes, Pegasus Knights only have one promotion.

Even worse, defense is kind of a wasted stat because Falcon Knights have an unusually high defensive base. She needs strength above all else.

A neutral cavalier approaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVqKh_J2ZJM

Oh! Good day, Fernand. And what brings you here?
Need you even ask? When I heard you had been taken prisoner, I mounted my finest destrier and sped here at once.
Sir Clive couldn’t leave the hideout without its commander, of course.
But I see I am a step behind regardless. Who is this rabble?
Um, are you talking about us?

He is the grandson of Sir Mycen himself.
Mycen’s…grandson?
Lukas, I demand to know the meaning of this! You were ordered to find the general himself, not some mewling child!
Sadly, Sir Mycen was not so easily convinced.
However, Alm and his friends have joined our cause in his stead.
Is this some manner of folly to you, Lukas? Am I to be amused?

The Deliverance has no place for brats with pitchforks.
Fernand, you must listen to reason.
These “curs” you so easily disparage fought valiantly for us. In fact, without Alm, we might not have retaken the Southern Outpost.
I can vouch for their strength.
Hah! As if the word of a backwater noble carries weight with me.
Your entire house should be kissing the Knights of Zofia’s feet!
Ngh…

You can say whatever nasty things about me you like. I’ll get over it. But Lukas deserves your respect.
I beg your pardon?
Do I look like a man who listens to the opinions of peasants?
Then you can listen to me, because I happen to agree with him.
Fernand, my brother already explained this to you, did he not?
Sir Clive? What exactly did he explain?

If we do not all fight together as one, then we will never defeat Desaix.
Those are wise words. Unforgettable words!
Desaix’s forces already have us at heel, yet you would splinter us further?
Rrr…
You there! Boy!
…That’s me, I take it?

But you WILL learn your place!
Now, Clair. Seeing as you are safe, you have no need for these people.
Come, let us return. We must report this matter to Sir Clive at once.
I will do no such thing! I’m going with Alm.
…Very well. Do as you please. *leaves on his horse and gallops away*

I’ve never met someone so rude!
I guess we’ve been spoiled by Lukas. He’d nearly convinced me that swinish knights are the exception, not the rule.
But…that was a swine, all right. *snort*
You poor dears must be so upset. I apologize for the way he treated you.
Don’t be silly. You don’t have to lower yourself for a miserable human being like that.
Oh my…
Oh, great. Here we go…
What? I have no idea what you’re talkin’ about.
Well, regardless… please don’t think ill of Fernand.

Did…something happen to him?
We live in trying times. And some things that transpire are… difficult to put into words.
In any case, we should be on our way.

This is just a basic of basic skirmish.

It's only a bit tricky because it's full of cavaliers, which are high stat and high mobility units. A lot of babying duties for Lukas/Alm/Gray to carry the team.

Another case of good news, bad news as Kliff is getting bonus points in the right stats, but his stats endgame are going to be way worse than say Gray. That's because Mage->Sage is it, and Sage's bases are baaaaaad.

How bad? Kliff could promote right now and only gain like 1 HP and 1 Skl.

Battle closes out with some good levels in good places.

Well fought, everyone. The Deliverance’s hideout is just a stone’s throw away now.
I’ll send a messenger ahead to inform Sir Clive of our arrival.
Lukassmile: Let us make haste. I’m sure he’ll be quite eager to meet you.

Alm-Clair C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRTa-h_a0Y

Ah! Salutations, Alm.
H-hello, Clair…
And just what are you guffawing at? Such behavior is unspeakably boorish!
Sorry! Sorry. Very sorry. It’s just…who says, “Salutations!” on a battlefield?
Wh— Bu— I say it! Oh, very well. How would our fearless leader have me greet him instead?
Ha ha! I’m not criticizing the way you speak, Clair. In fact, I like that about you.
Y-you do?

Tae fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 8, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Lead on Leader

Time to finally get to this so-called Deliverance that we've been hauling our butts for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYQwFjR9aE

Where do ya think yer goin’? Don’t y’know whose halls these is?
Huh? But I thought this was the—
That’s enough, Python.
There’s no call to play at trickery with our new recruits.

I was worried Desaix’s dogs might have punched your ticket to the boneyard.
So this sack of guts here must be Sir Grandson.
Yes, he’s the one. Is Sir Clive about?
Yup. Better shake your tail feathers— he’s been waiting for you.

*The group was about to leave further into the hideout when Python stops them*

Hm? What is it?
Terrors roam these halls. You’d best tread carefully.
Terrors?! What are monsters like those doing in your hideout?

I mean, they make decent bodyguards to dissuade the enemy forces from coming, I guess?

Well, to be fair, they technically got here first. We’re just sort of…borrowing their catacombs.
Plus, Terrors spawn in greater numbers the closer you get to Mila’s power.
Cutting ’em down only makes room for new ones, so we just let ’em be.

I'm not sure exactly why zombies are more powerful next to a goddess, or that it makes much sense if the rumors say that Mila left the country.

‘Cause if not, I dunno how you’re planning to fight for the Deliverance.
Aw, I’m just japin’ ya. Get going, yeah?
Oh, and hold your nose—Terrors stink.
Great… Their hideout is guarded by an army of the dead…

General Area-They really built these places to last back in the old days.

Floor-I see lots of footprint, as well as signs of heavy objects being slid around.

These sprawling catacombs were built as a resting place for Zofia’s most distinguished families.
But now their halls are clogged with the stench of the dead—rotten corpses who have risen again as Terrors.

The hideout is a little more winding and requires exploration than the previous shrine. Not to mention that we're introduced to Terrors.

These are the foot soldier versions of zombies. Not too special.

These are "hidden" doors that block the way. A tutorial to always hit things if you're not sure to open new paths.

This particular door leads to an Iron Bow, which Tobin won't use since he's building skills with the Steel Bow.

Bonewalkers are the slightly stronger versions of Revenants, with an actual weapon as opposed to claws.

You can unlock shortcuts that create a direct path from the entrance to the hideout/shrine with enough exploring. Useful since going all the way back to Ram Village's shrine is a hassle.

But now it's finally time to meet Clive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RMn3ATT4Rk

Brother!
It gladdens me to see you safe! I couldn’t bear to lose you on top of everything else we have sacrificed.
You look so pale, Clive. Forgive me. You must have been worried sick.
But I’m all right. Alm and the others arrived before true ill could befall me.

Y-yes, sir.
Ha ha ha. Please, be at ease. Such formalities are not required here.
You saved the life of my dear sister. This makes you a friend.
My name is Clive. And as you must already know, I lead the Deliverance. It’s good to meet you, Alm.
L-likewise, Clive.

What, is he famous or something?
Tobin! I am sorely disappointed in you. Sir Clive captains the Knights of Zofia! He’s the finest knight in all the realm!
Seriously. man. Read a book.
Okay, okay. He’s clearly a big deal.
But then why is the “finest knight in all the realm” LOSING the war?

How have we been faring, Clive?
Not well, I fear. We lost many good men when the outpost fell. …Too many.
The morale of our troops has taken an ill turn in kind. I was hoping to present Sir Mycen to them to re-ignite their courage, but…
Please don’t judge my grandfather. I know he had his reasons. Even if I don’t know what they are.
But I promise you that I’ll fight every bit as hard as he would have. …Or harder!
I just don’t want you think that… I mean, he’s not—

None here would dare think your grandfather craven.
That being said, I would beg a boon of you. The same one I was hoping to ask of Sir Mycen, in fact.
Please, go on.
If it’s within my power, I’ll do it.
Then I shall state it plain.

WHAAAT?! I mean…um…what? I’m not a leader!
Clive! Have you taken leave of your senses?

How godawful is morale that taking the grandson of your plan A is the best course of action?

This needs to happen, Fernand. You know it as well as I.
It’s true the Deliverance began as a group of like-minded Zofian knights, but it’s grown into an army where most of our volunteers are of common birth.
We share a cause, but little else. I know not how to speak to their hearts.
Sir Mycen began as a common soldier before rising to a knight and a count. His story resonates with these people.
Do you not agree that his grandson is just the banner they would rally to?
What fool would agree with that?! If some ungrateful peasant won’t heed your command, you sweep him aside!
Think, Fernand! Are we so flush with soldiers that we can afford to drive able men away?
Ngh…

You too…?!
Knights don’t have a monopoly on skill, and Alm is as able a fighter as any.
Clive has done all he can to hold the Deliverance together thus far, but if our ship is astray, then we must chart a new course. Alm is that course.
I’ll rip that traitorous tongue from your throat!

Oh snap, even Lukas is pissed now.

I lost friends at the Southern Outpost. Veteran men, yet dead all the same.
We MUST adapt so we might end this war as quickly as possible.
Please, just…hold on a second.
I know I said I would do anything in my power, but I can’t—

My lieutenants and I would continue to handle day-to-day affairs.
We only need you do one thing: lead.
You would be inspiring the troops and revitalizing the army. You are Sir Mycen’s grandson. I know you to be capable of such.
I’m not so sure…
Please, Alm. For me. For all of us. My brother tries to hide it, but I know the anxiety takes a toll on him.
You can relieve him of at least a portion of that burden.
I want to, but…
……
All right. If you think me worthy, then I won’t let you down.
Are you certain? Then thank you, Alm. Thank you.

Massive boost to morale, this one

Ha! As you wish.
This could change everything… The boy will make a splendid leader! Simply splendid!
Without a doubt.

*A sudden grab and slam*

Fernand, what—
I only joined this damned army because YOU were leading it!
And now you want me to take orders from some wretched farmchild?
This is no mere farmchild, Fernand! He has Sir Mycen’s blood!
Mycen? Pah! drat him AND his blood! They may sing of him as a hero, but no one even knows what wench the man sprang from!
His entire story is a disgrace to the Zofian nobility!
You need to invoke the name of that old man to control your men? Pathetic.
Enough!

We were supposed to be a band of noble knights. United in purpose! Upholding a tradition! Restoring the old order to Zofia!
Now the Deliverance is full of baseborn serfs trying to lord over us.
Like your lieutenant Forsyth. Or that Python—true to his name, he is!
Both of them have proven themselves on the battlefield time and again!
Are you suggesting I deny my men fair reward for their achievements? What incentive would they have then?! The damned army wouldn’t function!
Hear me, Fernand. Hear me well. I know you have your reasons for closing your heart to the common folk.
But please, for the sake of our ideals, you MUST think beyond them.

I would rather die than kneel to some whelp who was birthed in the hay.
Today we part ways for good and all. I am finished with you and your “Deliverance.”
Farewell.
Fernand, wait—

*Fernand stomps out of the room*

Clive, shouldn’t you go after him?
…No. I knew this was coming—we’ve had no shortage of clashes lately. I cannot force him to see things as I do, so…
Well, perhaps it’s better this way.
Clive…

Thank you, Alm. We shall march on Zofia Castle just as soon as you feel we are prepared.
I suppose you must still have many questions about the Deliverance. Feel free to ask around to any of the soldiers here.

*Clive joins the party*

That was certainly an argument of hot proportions. But we're not quite done yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJlYhyPWI1A

Not only is the lad a general, but he’s also first in line to the Rigelian throne.
That’s due to the Emperor not having children of his own, you see.
Anyway, he’s said to be tough as nails. I sure hope I don’t have to face him!

I am Forsyth, Sir Clive’s lieutenant and advisor. Together, let us take back the castle and return Zofia to her people.

*Forsyth joins the party*

She was every inch as strong as him, and clever as an old cat, to boot.
But Desaix took her captive, and now keeps her locked up in his fortress.
He’s made many attempts to use her as leverage to force our surrender. But still, Sir Clive refuses to submit.
One day Desaix will tire of these games, and then she’ll be in peril most dire…
Knowing this, Sir Clive grows less bold as the days pass. Who can blame him?

The peasants living on his lands were starving ’cause of the drought. They blamed Fernand for not providing for them and stormed his manor.
His family died during the attack. …Truly, a terrible thing.

So that whole furious prejudice was because his family died due to an uprising. An rear end attitude is an rear end, but it's not out of nowhere.

Units Joined

Forsythe

Growth

HP-40
Atk-40
SKL-30
SPD-40
LCK-40
DEF-30
RES-3

Forstythe is a decent unit as far as growths are concerned. Except that he's a Knight, so his good speed growth is tanked 10% lower.

Not much to say, he's a spare Knight in a game where being a slow moving, slow-footed unit with no RES is a recipe for disaster.

Clive

Growth

HP-55
Atk-40
SKL-35
SPD-25
LCK-25
DEF-30
RES-3

Outside of HP, Clive is almost entirely reliant on Gaiden's base stat mechanics cause he's not growing much on his own.

That said, he's still okay since the Cavalier class is decent enough to carry him through most of the game.

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry on delay, octopath

• Locked thread