Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Peasants murdered my family" is not actually a reasonable rationale for hating all peasants everywhere, especially when the peasants in question were starving while you enjoyed all the creature comforts afforded by feudalism. I feel like Fernand would work better if he was just a period-accurate shitlord, rather than giving him a dumb backstory that was supposed to make him sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wasn't Maribelle also a secret country gal like Calill, or did I make that up?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah, fair enough. I've only married her to Gregor, and their supports mostly flesh out how amazing Gregor is. I can't imagine Brady as anything but a war priest who is the son of Gregor the berserker.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I gotta be honest, I forgot Vaike even existed. I benched him as soon as I had the chance, made Gregor my axe person, and never looked back. I don't even recall why I disliked him, but the character never appealed to me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Conquest is my favorite of all FE plots. Yes it's dumb garbage that doesn't make any sense, but I'd take that over Awakening's bog standard Dragon Priest plot with a warlord who wants to end war by conquering the world awkwardly shoehorned in the middle. The only interesting plot hook Awakening had was that Robin was an alternate timeline version of the evil dragon god, and Lucina's conflict over whether she could let Robin live.

The scene where Corrin goes "yes father, I think murdering civilians is cool" to get Garon and Iago off their back, and Azura subsequently completely flipping her poo poo is the greatest scene in the series. I don't understand how anyone could not love it.

There's also so many characters that you can completely excise the boring royals and only keep the fun colorful characters in your army. And each royal comes with two better retainers, while you're stuck with boring Shepherds for a while before you can fill in the Gregors and cool kids.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
For context, I'm also a huge The Room enthusiast. Fates is right in my sweet spot for being poorly written yet entirely earnest, Conquest especially.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know! Azura is the dumbest fucker in Fire Emblem history, and there is no text that actually suggests otherwise, even if the writers actually intended for her to be worldly and wise. Her support with Keaton is almost as magical, and as a bonus, you get to make Shigure a ravenous werewolf.

And Corrin being all over the board is a feature. The writers had so many ideas for making the protagonist actually fight for the evil empire and uphold their integrity, and they couldn't commit to a single one and instead produced a beautiful hot mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I, for one, am glad that Conquest's storyline was hilariously terrible, instead of merely bad.

I mean, it could theoretically have been good, but it would have taken a whole lot of finesse, especially given the constraint that major plot beats had to mirror Birthright's bog standard Fire Emblem story, and clever plots have never really been the legerdemain of the franchise.

• Locked thread