Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Eh...the thing with archers is that you already get a decent one in Python. Mercenaries and Mages, on the other hand, Alm doesn't get until Act 3. IMO, the best choice is to just make two mages and one merc.

The caveat here though is that archers are REALLY GODDAMN GOOD in this game, so having multiple isn't really a bad thing. And Alm, as a tanky swordlord, fills in pretty well for a frontline slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Given the way weapons work in this game, you really don't want to overload on any particular weapon type (yes, this includes Mercenaries, unlimited leveling be damned). Technically you could overload on magic users, since that's innate to people, but that's just boring.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

Technically yes, but Nosferatu's hit rate is awful and you can't really improve it easily.

I'm ending votes now and counting it up. You'll see the results next update.

Thankfully, Faye in particular has her ludicrously absurd +20% to-hit bonus from a certain support to boost Nosferatu to effectively broken to-hit levels.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

I don't think the issue was the characters in Fates seeming "flat", so much as the least interesting characters getting all the lines. The retainers and their kids had tons of personality*, but it was the unnecessarily-sprawling royal family that ate up the vast majority of the script. As for why that's a bad thing, their personalities all boiled down to "Hey, here's nine different not-quite-incestuous-wink-wink love interest archetypes, you DO like incest, right?" Gonna go out on a limb and say a slightly different translation wouldn't have helped much in that regard. The more I think critically about Fates, the less I like it, much as I enjoyed certain specific characters.

*I would pay full price for an entire game starring Arthur and Azama.

Haha, no. Not that you aren't broadly correct, but even in instances where there was personality, Treehouse occasionally ripped it out, like the infamous Saizo/Beruka support, where they stripped everything out in order to do a lovely "......." meme. While there wasn't much to work with, Treehouse did an utter poo poo job even taking that into account.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Ohhhh no. I hear this lovely argument trotted out every time Fates is brought up. Fates' story problems go way deeper than anything to do with the localization. The problem is with the original story. Garbage in, garbage out.

Also the "..." support is hilarious and yes that is the hill I will die on. :colbert:

...That's exactly what I said, in regards to the story. Just that even taking into account that the story was garbage, Treehouse STILL did a complete poo poo job at the translation.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

and it never gets mentioned again...

To be fair, the one of the supposed protagonists doing something monumentally stupid and it then being effectively quickly dropped by everyone (or never get called on it in the first place) isn't exactly unique to Fates - see also: Micaiah, Celica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

KDavisJr posted:

To be fair to Micaiah, she wasn't the only one that did something Monumentally stupid. That was Pelleas. She just got stuck because of his stupidity. Also, no one called her out on it because everyone was busy being garden statues.

Perfectly true, but I don't really consider Pelleas a major protagonist. If I extended it to "some FE character did something monumentally dumb" I'd be here all day. Case in point: Lyon.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is anyone actually smart in Fates?

I seem to remember all of Conquest being about how they couldn't just gank Adolf McBeard for reasons and then they were rewarded by Adolf and the evil henchmen trying to kill them.

Conquest would have been a much better story with a smarter Corrin subverting orders and causing "accidents" to happen to loyal servants of the king like Hans and Iago.

chiasaur11 posted:

I was initially thinking that Conquest would basically be Char Aznable's Adventures In Not Betraying Anyone, Ever!

Needless to say, I was disappointed.

"Reasons" being (at least partially) Xander being an utter dumbfuck basically going "but think of what he was like 15 years ago! It doesn't matter that he's been a horrific monster ever since." Then again, Xander's also the idiot employing Peri, so I don't know why anyone put any stock in anything he says ever.

And yes, Our Great Adventures in Totally Not Betraying Anyone Ever would have potentially been good, instead of the garbage fire that was Conquest's actual storyline. Birthright at least mostly managed to be a generically passable FE storyline, if very much near the bottom. No comment on Revelations, because nothing can be said about that that's not already been said.

• Locked thread