Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

The half-siblings bit isn't even the worst part (it's the second worst), it's the "mindwiped" part. They may have obfuscated it with a bunch of magic :techno: but she was forced to have kids with a stranger against her will. I'm pretty sure that would be bad for Nintendo's brand image. They're more likely to remake Sword of Seals, if anything, because Smash Bros. fans fuckin' love Roy.

The devs also said they'd most wanted to remake Sword of Seals. Which makes sense. It's IS's first time out without Kaga, so they've learned a lot since then while keeping the nostalgia value, the prequel was the first game released in the US so there's some strong nostalgia value, it sold quite well... pretty long list.

They'd probably also add Lyn and Nino too, get some instant interest boosts not available to a 4 remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Serifina posted:

Yes, but this is not as useful as you think. They're "allies", so not directly controlled, and you don't get XP for anything they do.

It's still pretty drat useful. Thanks to their low stats, enemies make them priority targets, meaning they're not going after the units who can actually die.

Also, Gray: Mercenary
Kliff: Mage
Tobin: Archer
Faye: Cleric

I'm a traditionalist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

wonder how fernand would react to like, the FE4 gen 2 cast who find out they're actually nobility

"see this mercenary who works for an orphanage and this petty thief? well see their mom's actually the heir to a dukedom"

"This is Chrom, Prince of Ylisse and rightful... No! Chrom, you're supposed to peel the orange first!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Fernand: it is an honor to meet one such as you, prince chrom.

Chrom: And you Fernand, another brave warrior is always welcome here.

Fernand(Internal monologue): oh thank god! It's good to be amongst those who understand pedigree and class again after leaving that betrayer Clive!

??????: yeeeeeeeehaw!

Chrom's best friends:
Knight who used to dunk his head in the toilet when they were kids
Gutter dwelling idiot
Thief who was hired to kill his sister
Smelly hobo amnesiac he found lying on the ground.

Fernand's going to have a full on logic loop crash.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like Maribelle would try to snap his neck as she is very much a believer in the responsibilities of nobility .

I think she'd have the best shot at a conversation, considering her basic belief structure is "Nobles are an inherently superior class of humanity", to the point I suspect if she was present for this little debate, she would describe Alm as "One of the good ones".

She's definitely all in for reform and treating peasants fairly, but that's in large part because of her initial beliefs that the best way to prove nobles are better is to make the playing field as fair as possible.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

They may sound similar in opinion, but there is a very important distinction between "Nobles are better" and "Peasants are scum".

Also, I can only see Vaike as Owain's father. Where the hell else would he get it from?!

Henry.

He got it from Henry.

And they are very different in practice, but they sound similar enough that it could be a while before they'd realize how different they are. It's also a prospective Fernand could see as "understandable, but wrong" as opposed to simply insane.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

I feel like anything with Maribelle would last until Fernand said something disrespectful about Lissa or Chrom. Maribelle would defend both of them with her life, and there's no way Fernand would be able to refrain from calling them "an insult to royalty" or something similar.

Oh god, I just remembered that Lissa mucked around in a swamp catching frogs to drop down the Avatar's cloak. That right there would be more than enough to start Fernand on a tirade, which would be abruptly ended when 3/4's of Awakening's cast simultaneously decked him for insulting Lissa. Bonus points if Owain challenges Fernand to a duel for "insulting my mother's honor".

This page has made me realize just how great Awakening's characterization is, as an aside.

Yeah, it had the same localizers as Echoes, and you can really tell the difference between them and Fates.

Characters have distinct voices and bounce off each other in fun ways, where Fates tended to have flat voices for everyone. Makes supports much more tedious.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Haha, no. Not that you aren't broadly correct, but even in instances where there was personality, Treehouse occasionally ripped it out, like the infamous Saizo/Beruka support, where they stripped everything out in order to do a lovely "......." meme. While there wasn't much to work with, Treehouse did an utter poo poo job even taking that into account.

I'd also point to speaking styles.

You look at Chrom's supports and compare them to Lucina's, you see distinct word choice and styles. You can pick out most characters from a few lines.

Fates, meanwhile, has much more flat dialog. If you compare Mozu and Donnel, it's obvious which localization leaned in harder. Despite starting from the same base ideas, Donnel's dialog is much more memorable, making him one of the top 25 in choose your legends where Mozu couldn't even make the top 100.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is anyone actually smart in Fates?

I seem to remember all of Conquest being about how they couldn't just gank Adolf McBeard for reasons and then they were rewarded by Adolf and the evil henchmen trying to kill them.

Conquest would have been a much better story with a smarter Corrin subverting orders and causing "accidents" to happen to loyal servants of the king like Hans and Iago.

I was initially thinking that Conquest would basically be Char Aznable's Adventures In Not Betraying Anyone, Ever!

Needless to say, I was disappointed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically everything we've heard since then is that the main writers rewrote everything so thoroughly that the finished product barely resembles the original pitch. The original pitch could easily have been reasonably competent.

Of course, they asked for a little summary to kick things off, and he gave them War and Peace (except, you know. Not as good. Possibly given the final product, not good at all.)

A lot happened that we don't know about, and I'd love to have more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asator posted:

A lot of things in Awakening that felt like they came out of nowhere make a lot more sense after playing this game. (Will not elaborate until they come up in the LP, for spoiler reasons.)

That said, the fact that those parts had to be elaborated on in a completely different game (which presumably wasn't already planned the way Radiant Dawn was for Path of Radiance) suggests that the writers didn't think Awakening's plot all the way through until after release.

Awakening was a Hail Mary play that wanted to be sure to hit every Fire Emblem checkmark on the way out.

Not exactly a surprise some of them were a bit dashed off. The surprise is more how well the game worked overall.

• Locked thread