Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

hopeandjoy posted:

Echoes! A very awkward game on account of still being a pretty NES game, but one I enjoy quite a bit. The characters are nice and mechanics are just different from normal FE to feel, well, different. I wouldn't want FE to be like it forever, but it's nice as it's own thing.

Yeah! And look at it this way; what would've been more awkward? A remake that's mostly faithful to what the original game did? Or the awkward mish-mash of old and new mechanics we got in Shadow Dragon? The one that implemented the Weapon Triangle...and then forgot that like, 90% of its enemies were lance-users? The one that made Weapon Weight mostly irrelevant? But then neglected to adjust the CH 1-3 bosses accordingly?

Seems to me that with remakes, you either have to do very little to the gameplay (like this did), or REALLY go ham on it (like the Final Fantasy IV Remake).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'd honestly argue that Shadow Dragon was at least as faithful of a remake as Echoes is, if not more so. The reason it might seem otherwise is that most of the changes Shadow Dragon made brought it more in line with the modern games, while Echoes' changes are mostly entirely new mechanics/systems with no real precedent in the series to date. This works to Echoes' benefit imo, giving it even more of a unique feel.

Well, I'll agree on the wonderful changes and mechanics Echoes DID introduce. I still ADORE Mila's Turnwheel, as it basically solves one of the most significant flaws Fire Emblem had as a series: The way all your progress could immediately be undone just by the tiniest of mistakes.

I'll have to disagree on the faithfulness of Shadow Dragon, though. Especially when we've got stuff like Cain no longer being able to use Javelins, or Cord no longer being able to use Hand Axes :sigh: .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Shadow Dragon and New Mystery have the added downside of very ugly looking graphics and being 100% true to the original games. Shadow of Valentia goes for a balancing act, retaining the old mechanics while adding in new content to freshen things up, ranging from new characters to DLC content that actually does add to the story of the game.

Shadow Dragon wasn't totally faithful to the original. But it wasn't entirely unfaithful, either. Rather, it was a game that didn't know WHAT the heck it wanted to be. It didn't know whether or not it wanted to be modernized, or whether or not it wanted to be "just like the old days".

Hence, the game designers forced modern mechanics (like the Weapon Triangle) into a game whose units and maps were never made to accomodate them. Then they neglected to address most of the problems that come from that.

Shadow Dragon's problem wasn't that it was "too faithful". Shadow Dragon's problem was that it was carelessly thrown together :( .

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 6, 2018

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Tae posted:

The comments give a little hint on what they should specialize. Tobin as an archer, Kliff as a mage, and Gray as a swordsman.

Eh...the thing with archers is that you already get a decent one in Python. Mercenaries and Mages, on the other hand, Alm doesn't get until Act 3. IMO, the best choice is to just make two mages and one merc.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Alm: Alm's growths are among the best in the game, regardless of which one you're looking at. His spread's balance has remained consistent, with tons of HP, as well as great Strength, Skill, and Defense. His Speed might lag slightly if you're unlucky, but it's not a bad growth at all, while his Luck is only so-so. However, with the rest of the cast improved in Echoes, Alm's advantages are less pronounced. All Resistance growths in Echoes are in the single digits (and flat zeros for everyone in Gaiden), but Alm has a respectable 3%.

Aye...I really wish that Gaiden LP of mine had come to fruition...all this talk makes me want to sperg out like no tomorrow!!

*ahem*...Anyway, I'd actually say Alm is MORE overpowered than he was in Echoes...but explaining why would require yet another :spergin: post from me. You all don't mind, do you?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, I just completed a Blitzkrieg run in around 300 Turns (including the random encounters), so...let's see if I can help out here.

Grey: Mercenary - This one's fairly simple. Grey's got high STR but low SPD; so you may as well patch up the stuff that's wrong with him. That said...

Tobin: Mage - I'm going to take a fairly controversial opinion here, and say that having more than one Mercenary actually isn't a good idea. Or at least, not during the early to midgame game. As far as that goes, Alm's party basically just gets the Lightning Sword, the Royal Sword, an Iron Sword, and a Steel Sword. Your primary Mercenary's the one getting the Lightning Sword; and I don't think anyone needs to guess at which one Alm's getting. So that just leaves two regular swords for a class that already has pretty middling STR.

So instead, I prefer making Tobin into a class that doesn't need good gear to do good damage. You need at least one mage for a lot of the bulkier guys; and having two is never a bad idea when you don't get Luthier until midway into Act 3. Now that said...

Kliff: Mage or Archer - The choice here really comes down to "how much favoritism are you willing to give to an Archer class?". Archers have really low Accuracy, and their bases are fairly unimpressive. So in normal cases, those weaknesses balance out the 1-5 Range that Archer classes can reach...

But if you were to do the following...

code:
Promote Kliff to Merc > Reclass to Villager w/Pitchfork > Promote to Archer > Feed +3 STR Fountain to Kliff > Forged Killer Bow
...Then you're eventually going to end up with one of the most broken units you can possibly get in this game; one that makes even the Blitzkrieg achievement seem like child's play. It's like power leveling Celice in Genealogy. You need to invest some heavy favoritism to get him going; but the results are MORE than worth it! You just need to get the stats needed to make it work.

Otherwise, Kliff's probably best as a Mage. A second fireball slinger is never a bad thing to have, especially when you don't get any of those for the entirety of Act 1.

Faye: Cleric - Physic at LVL 6, and Rescue at LVL 10. Need I say more?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

In addition, bows' MT are weaker in this game; an Iron Bow only has 2 Mt, compared to an Iron Sword's 5.

That said, Iron Swords have 2 MT in this game, too. I'm assuming that A & O meant that that's what Iron Swords have in the other FE games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

I'll go with this as my vote.

One question I had:

Nosferatu means that Faye can attack even when she's a Cleric, correct?

Yep.

• Locked thread