Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Another new Fire Emblem LP? Count me in. I've never played this game, or Gaiden, so I'm actually curious about the story for once.

So far the mechanics aren't too unique yet, apart from the monstrous avoidance rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EclecticTastes posted:

Mounted characters are separate models from their mounts already, since they fall off when they die. It's one of the great strengths of moving from sprites to 3D, all you need to do is take the existing model and add animation, and you can do whatever you want. Though, as I recall, in Path of Radiance, slain Cavaliers just slumped over on their horses before fading away, because they were all one model.

What's interesting in playing Gaiden/Echoes is that while it was massively different from pretty much the entire series all the way through Radiant Dawn and the DS remakes, between Awakening and Fates, things actually moved a lot closer to what Gaiden had been, so it's neat that they then remade Gaiden, as if inviting comparison.

Oh, that's interesting. I kind of lost interest in FE after the excellent Radiant Dawn, and I was kind of bored with the Awakening LP, (the story just wasn't engaging for some reason) so this is all news to me.

Since this is a Gaiden, will we see any people from Shadow Dragon? This setting seems pretty far removed for Archanea.

EclecticTastes posted:

Now let's see 'em remake FE4.

It's still the best Fire Emblem game they ever made, I'm super mad that they never did a remake :argh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did the Emperor even know that she was his half-sister?

Any other reasons why there won't be a remake of FE4?

Edit for LP relevant content: I like that you can get these small conversation in this RPG like gameplay feature. Grinding supports to learn tidbits about your team was never really fun. Looking it up on Serenes is also not the same. Are there still supports in this game?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 5, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wouldn't mind, except if it goes into spoiler territory, like if he's secretly the prince of Rigel or something like that, and get's his overpoweredness from such story related perks. If it's a pure mechanical thing, like the units he's good against being fairly common in the game while the units he's weal against, then I wouldn't mind being spoiler.

Edit: But if Tae wants to make a mechanics update later in the LP, then we could also discuss it at that time.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 6, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Very true. I'm looking forward to seeing an actual battle. And the now grown up models of our characters.

Do weapons still have a limited number of uses?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The attack animations are cool. It looks more natural that they start the fight in motion, a nice feature. I've never really thought about what vulnerary's really are, having them replaced with food items makes sense.

So I guess you can just travel between those story battles and do skirmishes as much as you like? That's not a bad way to enable the player to grind if they want to.

On one hand it's nice to see the village as you transition into the first battle, on the other hand I wonder what Mycen and Alm were doing all day if they allowed brigands to set up shop no more than 5 minutes walking time away from their home.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Whoa, that are some big combat changes. Doubling being automatic at just one speed difference sounds like a huge thing. The to-hit changes are also interesting, sounds like it makes the game more swing-y. Does Shadows of Valentia use True Hit?

Kliff's bases are not that good, but he has pretty high growths. 60% speed, 45% skill, good def. Only his attack, HP and luck are a bit low, and he starts with an oddly high luck stat. He should be pretty good if you can get him some levels, right? Or is he too vulnerable with low HP?

I assume villagers just need to be level two to class change? That's cool, as long as you don't need some master seal equivalent. But I guess it's better to leave them in the villager class for as long as possible while the enemies are relatively weak brigands.

Also, the archer animation is really nice. The game is just pretty, something neat like this crops up every update.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have no idea how combat shakes out, how important which spells are or what weapons are strong, so I'm not voting on classes. I do like that individual characters have access to different spells. Could be a precursor to Three Houses maybe giving every character magic, even if they are knights/fighters or the like. Unless Gaiden already had the individual magics?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jimmydalad posted:

:yeah: That's how I feel about Clair. Her ignorance doesn't stem from her not wanting to know about life outside of nobility, but moreso from her upbringing, which is probably pretty sheltered considering she's never seen pigs and cows. There's an earnestness about her and she's quick to be apologetic once she realises that she's being ignorant.

So yeah, Clair is awesome.

That's good to know. At least on first impression she seems pretty arrogant, I'm glad that this is not true. And as can be seen in the concurrent FE8 LP, pegasus knights have an unfortunate tendency to be submissive wive materials, so it's a nice chance.

Lukas promoted into something like a knight, right? Or is that already the general tier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EclecticTastes posted:

For reference, the actual best scene in all of Fire Emblem is Stefan and Mordecai's A support from Path of Radiance. It's not only a fantastic character moment for both involved, it's also a bit of excellent foreshadowing for Radiant Dawn (one of several; it was pretty clear IS put a lot of work into setting things up in PoR to pay off in RD, which is why they remain the series' peak). On top of that, it was also a pretty topical scene in a number of ways. While Fire Emblem always has the typical high fantasy moralizing, the Tellius games were the only ones that really had a clear message to them, which is something I found lacking in both Awakening and Fates. They fell back on tired anime cliches like friendship and fighting destiny. I mean, the closest thing to a central theme Fates had was "war is bad", literally the most basic possible thing within its genre, and even that got lost in all the alternate dimension bullshit. I'm sitting here struggling to think of any actual moral to the story beyond "don't do a war".

Fates really is one of those games I enjoy in the moment because the gameplay works well enough and is reasonably engaging, but on further analysis, it's kinda lovely. Gonna be real, if Three Houses continues the trend of having nothing meaningful to hang its story off of and barely half an endearing cast, I'm not sure if I'll be onboard. Fortunately, Echoes pretty much hit it out of the park in terms of likeable characters, and as can be seen already, the story has surprising depth for something adapted from an NES game.

I agree, a lot. The story about the branded is very well thought out and written. The Stefan/Mordecai support is excellent, as is the backstory about the Apostle, and Zelgius arc. It also really spoke to me as a gay guy.

I also like Sephiran a lot, even though I'm not usually a fan of the Wooby, Destroyer of Worlds trope.

• Locked thread