Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah! And look at it this way; what would've been more awkward? A remake that's mostly faithful to what the original game did? Or the awkward mish-mash of old and new mechanics we got in Shadow Dragon? The one that implemented the Weapon Triangle...and then forgot that like, 90% of its enemies were lance-users? The one that made Weapon Weight mostly irrelevant? But then neglected to adjust the CH 1-3 bosses accordingly?

Seems to me that with remakes, you either have to do very little to the gameplay (like this did), or REALLY go ham on it (like the Final Fantasy IV Remake).

I'd honestly argue that Shadow Dragon was at least as faithful of a remake as Echoes is, if not more so. The reason it might seem otherwise is that most of the changes Shadow Dragon made brought it more in line with the modern games, while Echoes' changes are mostly entirely new mechanics/systems with no real precedent in the series to date. This works to Echoes' benefit imo, giving it even more of a unique feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Torrannor posted:

So I guess you can just travel between those story battles and do skirmishes as much as you like? That's not a bad way to enable the player to grind if they want to.

Kind of? It's not necessarily quite as simple as that. Wait and see.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

I think so, too. Like, instead of being nobility, you're just some villager with militia training thrust into the position of MAIN PROTAGONIST and it's sink or swim. It even allows for exposition without it feeling forced, since the character is learning along with the player.

I mean, now you're basically just describing this game, the one being LPed right now!

• Locked thread