Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yay! This one's fun. And yes, another voice to the "Voice acting is amazing" parade. The post-game dungeon is also really fun. But I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Whatever happened to the Fates LP? Did it just die, or did I lose track of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Torrannor posted:

Edit for LP relevant content: I like that you can get these small conversation in this RPG like gameplay feature. Grinding supports to learn tidbits about your team was never really fun. Looking it up on Serenes is also not the same. Are there still supports in this game?

There are, but they're *far* more limited, with far fewer of them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Important notes to keep in mind:

1) Archers can counter in melee range in Echoes. This alone makes them wonderfully more powerful than literally every other Fire Emblem game. Plus, they get absurdly ridiculous attack ranges late-game.

2) The Mercenary line, when combined with potential level grinding, is the only class line in the game with infinite levels. This is because their final promoted form is able to "promote" back into a Villager. Due to the way the different classes and promotions work in Echoes, there are almost zero downsides to doing this.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

McTimmy posted:

Hahaha, they kept that from Gaiden? Nice.

Not only that, but DLC gave players access to... I think a total of 3 items called a "Pitchfork" which could turn ANY non-main-character in the game back into a Villager, even if they never were one in the first place. If one is feeling Grindy, this could indeed be used to send them for a cycle or two of the Mercenary line, then back to Villager to go back to their normal class.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

One thing I like about Alm is that he has a unique trait that sets him apart from the other Lords/main characters in the franchise: he's left-handed. A lot of the protagonists in Fire Emblem really do blur together after a while in terms of personality, so having a lead that employs something to stand out from the crowd outside of a different attitude or different hair color is a refreshing change.

Fire Emblem Heroes remembered this too; I think he's actually the only left-handed sword-wielder in the game. Heroes I mean, not just Echoes.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

MightyPretenders posted:

Oh yes there is!

Only for one class line though, and not everyone gains access to that.

But yeah, Kliff is one of those "he needs his growth to pull through to be usable" units. I made him a mage, but ended up having to drop him because his attack was getting unusably low. I was sad. But I had better mages by that point, so oh well.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Gray and Tobin: Mercenary
Kliff: Mage
Faye: Cleric

Throwing my vote in this direction.

Let's see if your Mage-Kliff does better than mine. Mine got really, really attack-screwed in my game, to the point of becoming unusable later on. :(

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Also worth noting, Archers don't actually get the anti-flier bonus unless they actually have a bow weapon equipped; the "default" weapon everybody gets when unequipped does not get the anti-flier bonus.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Torrannor posted:

Lukas promoted into something like a knight, right? Or is that already the general tier?

Echoes physical classes work on three tiers, villager aside. Lukas is a Knight now.

Soldier->Knight->General
Mercenary->Myrmidon->Dread Fighter

Etc.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Right, I couldn't remember if it was General or Baron. Been a little bit since I went through this.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I love that Clair just sounds so HURT when after Alm asks "Who says 'salutations' on a battlefield?"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

Beat me to it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, fact is, it doesn't matter how qualified Alm is, he's a filthy commoner, so Fernand wants nothing to do with him. Never mind that he's the grandson of their nation's greatest hero, not to mention heir to whatever titles Mycen still held claim to, he grew up in a village, where people do their own work. Like savages. Whatever other bullshit reasons Fernand comes up with is just cover for that irrational hatred. It's actually a pretty realistic portrayal of bigotry, for a video game made for children (though it wouldn't be a first for Fire Emblem, given some scenes in the Radiant games).

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

I think she'd have the best shot at a conversation, considering her basic belief structure is "Nobles are an inherently superior class of humanity", to the point I suspect if she was present for this little debate, she would describe Alm as "One of the good ones".

She's definitely all in for reform and treating peasants fairly, but that's in large part because of her initial beliefs that the best way to prove nobles are better is to make the playing field as fair as possible.

They may sound similar in opinion, but there is a very important distinction between "Nobles are better" and "Peasants are scum".

Also, I can only see Vaike as Owain's father. Where the hell else would he get it from?!

• Locked thread