Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dalaram posted:

Is there a way to recall all completed tasks? I keep losing soul aspects by using them before dawn to generate stuff; but the text size on completion is so small, I end up losing them for days sometimes.

No, but if you press Backspace (by default) you zoom over to a completed task no matter where it is. This should really have been in the tutorial rather than just hidden in the keybinds.

Rapner posted:

So... should I wait to place skills in the wisdom tree until I can verify that what I'm getting can be upgraded?

You CAN but early on you really need as many stats as possible. If you want to be completely safe the easy trick is to make sure the skill and the stat it gives when slotted into the tree have at least one aspect in common, though it's not an actual absolute necessity. Also you only really NEED three successful combinations per stat as it's generally fine to just have one upgraded stat and a bunch of basic ones for multitasking. You don't often need two super powered Phosts in a single day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Infinity Gaia posted:

No, but if you press Backspace (by default) you zoom over to a completed task no matter where it is. This should really have been in the tutorial rather than just hidden in the keybinds.

loving lifesaver.

Rapner posted:

So... should I wait to place skills in the wisdom tree until I can verify that what I'm getting can be upgraded?

What he said; but I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s really hard to align wisdoms with workspaces in your house with aspects of soul. Just pick whatever, and upgrade as you unlock the house. I’m guessing there is a workbench for all wisdoms and all aspects eventually

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Ok, and holy poo poo. You don’t have to catalog, or decode books through inspect; you can use desks instead! This also means you can actually use inks, or tools to give you a little boost when translating, versus inspect which only gives you memories and skills.

This also means you can potentially be generating memories with inspect while seconding, which is where I kept struggling.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Man I saw this game get announced in like loving 2019, can't believe it's finally out. Still playing BG3 but I'll have to try this later. I feel like the basis is "CS, but without the need to click 50 times a minute to make money and keep from starving".

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Dalaram posted:

Ok, and holy poo poo. You don’t have to catalog, or decode books through inspect; you can use desks instead! This also means you can actually use inks, or tools to give you a little boost when translating, versus inspect which only gives you memories and skills.

This also means you can potentially be generating memories with inspect while seconding, which is where I kept struggling.

Wait, that makes this game a lot easier, or at least straightforward . What the heck. Next you’ll tell me assistants have a use other than unsealing rooms.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Dalaram posted:

And inks are very straightforward to make with the right skill and 5 of an aspect.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

CommunityEdition posted:

Next you’ll tell me assistants have a use other than unsealing rooms.

You can talk to them to generate memories for free; early on, you can also use them to open the other two doors that aren’t your “friend”.

Other tricks;

- You can restore your aspects mid day. If you claimed a bed, you can put a fatigued aspect in “restore”, plus a drink. It does take a while, but once you claim the well, you can drink unlimited well water. If you wanted, you could almost constantly be pulling up water and resting skills.
- alternatively, you can also use the Inn: put a tired skill in the left slot, and a coin in the right.
- you can use the free assistant, or pay a shilling to the other two townsmates or inn fodder. But if you burn an aspect with any coin in the right slot, you can get someone that comes with 3 skills at 4 each; plus they can generally use unique items, like candles, music, paints, etc to buff their stats.
- skills of the same aspect don’t always have the same effect. So 5 moon with a moon skill might generate an item; but with a different 5 moon skill, it might generate a memory
- have you found the two scavenging spots? Ones on the beach, ones on the far right side. You can scavenge up low level mats; you can also scavenge up a dog, snake, or a cat!
- in addition to the fire, you can also toss “things” and beasts into the ocean.
- altars can use animals as an input. To restore the animals, talk to them with an aspect and food.
at least early on, it seems like the dog resets his happiness without being fed, if you don’t have renewable food sources (chickens and garden)

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Dalaram posted:

You can talk to them to generate memories for free; early on, you can also use them to open the other two doors that aren’t your “friend”.

Other tricks;

- You can restore your aspects mid day. If you claimed a bed, you can put a fatigued aspect in “restore”, plus a drink. It does take a while, but once you claim the well, you can drink unlimited well water. If you wanted, you could almost constantly be pulling up water and resting skills.
- alternatively, you can also use the Inn: put a tired skill in the left slot, and a coin in the right.
- you can use the free assistant, or pay a shilling to the other two townsmates or inn fodder. But if you burn an aspect with any coin in the right slot, you can get someone that comes with 3 skills at 4 each; plus they can generally use unique items, like candles, music, paints, etc to buff their stats.
- skills of the same aspect don’t always have the same effect. So 5 moon with a moon skill might generate an item; but with a different 5 moon skill, it might generate a memory
- have you found the two scavenging spots? Ones on the beach, ones on the far right side. You can scavenge up low level mats; you can also scavenge up a dog, snake, or a cat!
- in addition to the fire, you can also toss “things” and beasts into the ocean.
- altars can use animals as an input. To restore the animals, talk to them with an aspect and food.
at least early on, it seems like the dog resets his happiness without being fed, if you don’t have renewable food sources (chickens and garden)

The dog getting self-fed was a bug that I think just got fixed.

You can also talk to pets for some good memories. The snake one is solid and persistent(!).

Also once you get into the gardens of the house, there are many plants you can tend for a variety of leaves, flowers, maybe even food you can use for other purposes.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Snake spoiler viper egg can be hatched in a fireplace. Just make sure to use a soul too, otherwise it will burn, pay attention to the text

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Snake spoiler viper egg can be hatched in a fireplace. Just make sure to use a soul too, otherwise it will burn, pay attention to the text

But if you do, you can forage them from the forest. I've got 3, and I'm only about 1/4 explored

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Another tip for first time players - a thing that can blindside you is Numa. Use your lessons/persistent memories before Numa ends!! Thats the minimum you need to know, I will spoiler the rest Numa is a weird 5th season that only lasts 1 day. Can randomly happen every few years. It's all weird and magicky, weather is especially powerful, working in the tavern takes 5 minutes but pays in spintria and gives you malady. I think visitors are Numa-unique too? I got Julian Coseley in 1 Numa I had so far. All memories including persistent are gone when Numa ends, so use them. Uncommited skills can be refunded during Numa, but lessons likewise need to be used right away. Scavenging gives you rare stuff.

nokko
Jun 22, 2022

Sekenr posted:

(Stuff about visitors in the Numa)

I believe all of the Numatic visitors are immortal Long. Although wait actually some of the regular visitors are Long, too.

I’ve basically been building my own personal wiki as I play through BoH, to … mixed results. Certainly going to extend the playtime, and it’s handy to have a reference for what is required to do common tasks in the game. Probably spent more time collating my notes into a crosslinked thing in Notion than I have playing today.

nokko fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 1, 2023

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Honestly it's like the game expects you to do just that. I don't mind taking notes but now they look like a mass of text. FOr them to be usable you need a proper hyperlinked database which is ridiculous.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Honestly it's like the game expects you to do just that. I don't mind taking notes but now they look like a mass of text. FOr them to be usable you need a proper hyperlinked database which is ridiculous.

I have a more elaborate spreadsheet for this game than Eve

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Finally got my 9th soul card. :unsmith:

How are people organizing their books? I’ve taken to grouping them up my mystery, whoever I have room. I just filled up the reading room.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Finally got my 9th soul card. :unsmith:

How are people organizing their books? I’ve taken to grouping them up my mystery, whoever I have room. I just filled up the reading room.

Reading room has finished books. Haven’t unlocked enough free space yet for mystery sorting, but unexamined books are separate, and contaminated ones are in a room of their own pending a more thematic location. Was going to sort film reels to their own location, but they really blend in on the shelf so I’ve decided against it.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Completed books in the reading room. Contaminated books in the cold room with a bed near the entrance.
Books that should be able to be read in the room next to that, with the tall desk.
Books that I can’t read because of language in the librarians quarters.
Uncataloged books in the bridge room.

But the only thing that actually matters is one row of books sequestered off that re-reading them gives you a 2-grade aspects memory, so you can rapidly churn out good memory amplifiers. I’ve almost got a full set of all 13 aspects, and it makes crafting/upgrading/researching much easier.

The adjacent question is how do you arrange your crafting goods? Do you arrange by crafting station? (Metals by forge, liquids by chemistry) by aspect? (Highest aspect items in the room with an appropriate forge)Or for aesthetics? (Booze in the wine cellar; food in the pantry?) I kind of do all three - but also have a poo poo load of low aspect miscellany sitting on the bridge in front of the house.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm just starting to dip my toes into crafting so all that junk is just everywhere. Game should just let me strew poo poo on the floor.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

One area for finished books, another for books that I feel need to be done next. Another for endgame books that are not a priority right now. Another for grammaphone records and reels, contaminated books go outside on the bridge.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Now that I’ve (mostly) figured out how to use desks/books in parallel to “inspect”, I’m really struggling with “Talk”. You are pretty much gated mid game with using talk all day to feed your helper buffs, so they can open a room. While you’re doing that, you can’t tend chickens, use/reset pets, or amuse guests. And as best I can tell, there’s no way to interact with guests besides talk.

I would definitely welcome some meta-progression beyond getting more soul cards, or having access to new crafting stations. Like, talks happen 5% faster; or you get more vegetables scaling from your health aspect; or you get two weather memories per day. (Or perhaps the ability to generate a new weather a day?). I’d rather get some of those kinds of permanent bonuses than another Fet card.

Also, it would be neat to have room specific tendencies; like keeping a room with more than 15 or so of an aspect would slowly influence the room; conferring an aspect specific bonus. (Extra drink pours from nectar? Residual objects from incinerating in a forge room? Ability to kill your animals in a winter room?) Perhaps even add downsides as a room gets more influenced.

Also, for fucks sakes - schools of thought are really terrible. Except for adding a crafting station specific gate for soul level ups, there seems to be no unifying theme to them. They don’t seem to clearly align with any one aspect, or soul. Like, come on - at least align Infernology with mettle cards, or Forge. They are just another I’ll described system, that doesn’t seem to add to the game.

All that said - the basic loop is still really really good and fun. There’s a lot of potential to make this really excellent with some tuned QoL and system enhacements.

nokko
Jun 22, 2022

Rapner posted:

I have interlinked databases for:
  • Books
  • Skills
  • Memories
  • Crafting Recipes
  • Workstations (Noting which of them are the “Evolve:” stations)
  • People (Historical Figures/Authors/Visitors)

Something very pleasing about having a list of memories/skills organized by aspect.

Dalaram posted:

Now that I’ve (mostly) figured out how to use desks/books in parallel to “inspect”, I’m really struggling with “Talk”. You are pretty much gated mid game with using talk all day to feed your helper buffs, so they can open a room. While you’re doing that, you can’t tend chickens, use/reset pets, or amuse guests. And as best I can tell, there’s no way to interact with guests besides talk.

You can put a guest in a matching bed to cool them off (add time before their card fades) while your Talk is busy.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
One very handy thing is, desks don't care if your card has a malady (as long as it's one aspect is the right one). Maladied cards can't exhaust. Or get double cursed (I think). So handy for cataloguing or reading for memories.

nokko
Jun 22, 2022

Tylana posted:

One very handy thing is, desks don't care if your card has a malady (as long as it's one aspect is the right one). Maladied cards can't exhaust. Or get double cursed (I think). So handy for cataloguing or reading for memories.

Can’t decide whether purposely injuring your own soul so you can read more is the mark of a poor Librarian or an excellent Librarian.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

nokko posted:

Can’t decide whether purposely injuring your own soul so you can read more is the mark of a poor Librarian or an excellent Librarian.

You know, that’s a pretty good idea. Having a damaged health to continuously draw water, or forage, or gather vegetables, or catalog books, etc seems like a fairly optimal play strategy.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Dalaram posted:

You know, that’s a pretty good idea. Having a damaged health to continuously draw water, or forage, or gather vegetables, or catalog books, etc seems like a fairly optimal play strategy.

I've had Maladies on a Trist from the early game and a Phost from a bit later on and it's been very handy.

I think you can only ever have one Health and it's the only Soul Element with a Nectar Aspect, so that's one I keep in good condition.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have 3 health >_>

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Okay, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about!
(and probably need to better explore the Tree of Wisdom)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There's plenty of every soul card and maladies aren't dangerous long term as far as I've seen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rapner posted:

there's a community one linked through a steamguide

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1pVGeohFPTgjTK7gTaz_foeLm25xEK0EMGvxHXNa9ne0/htmlview

but if you want to build your own you're definitely getting into the spirit of the game

I've hit what appears to be a progression wall, I have exactly one place left to explore with assistants; I assume I need to skill up and update my journal or something to crack the suspicious gray rooms. Or maybe do something with crafting in the adjacent rooms? I dunno, I'm kicking back and crafting and boosting stats and such now that I don't need to shove weather down my employees' throats

also, the beta patch adds the ability to put pets (like my cat) on the staircases

a lot of these ideas are good

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Google Jeb Bush posted:

a lot of these ideas are good

Thanks!

Then I’ll keep going with some more then.

- Ability to have assistants do more. Poets can work desks. Nuns can work shrines. Engineer forges. Use them instead of soul cards. Maybe take an efficiency/time loss to balance.

- Change the economy of souls. Instead of gathering multiples and combining them, you have to unlock all 9, but they don’t tire each day; leveling them up makes them run faster; or generate more from one offs- in addition to having more aspects. Now the plate spinning simulator from CS really kicks in, when you’ve potentially got 9 subtasks (plus your helpers!). If unbalanced, maybe they tire for 2 min after use, less 1 min if you rest them in a bed/bar; same as CS did with your 3 aspects.

- fix the “three more try system”. De-prioritize weather. I once got 2 weather tries; you can only ever have 1?!? Get rid of bullshit epiphanies. Emphasize art, things, and comfort. Maybe even increase odds of maladies, since this would make it easier.

- also, find more use for things, comfort and art. Maybe add more bar helpers who can use them. Or better; let everyone use comfort at least once. Add a workstation that uses art/comfort. Perhaps an easel? Upholstering station? (Would also need to change the classification of pets, who are comfort)

- put a timer on memories; don’t wipe them each day. Let persistent memories stick around, or perhaps decay. In fact, maybe that’s the answer - let memories decay every 3 mins losing 1 aspect in all levels. Memories with no aspects left fade out. This keeps the pressure to generate and use them while they’re good; but you aren’t in the constant situation of having a bunch of stuff at the end of the day that fades out, because you’ve spent all your soul, and now all your books/research are finishing.

- same note on help. Enlist their help for 24 hours, not till dawn. Complements the “souls don’t tire”. Probably still should have them leave after unlocking a room though; it would be pretty powerful to just keep paying them to stay. Or maybe it increases each time, making it harder to keep around your well trained person. You can talk to them after clearing a room or any time to reset the 24 hour cycle.

- add to the day/night and season cycle. Perhaps Moon aspects get +1 at night, lantern -1 (minimum 1). Flip during day. Perhaps forge gets stronger in autumn? Winter stronger in… winter. Add more seasonal changes to the house too - the gardens seem to be the only ones affected by seasons.

- Make the skills actually unique. Add a few more qualities than candle making, or good against curses to give some hints as to what the skill actually does. Distillation, to make liquids. Smelting, to make metal. Prayer, to make signs. Sure, some of this gamifies the spirit of the game. Instead of reading and absorbing lore, you are now making it straight forwards. But absent a cohesive in-game journal, you’re either a grog making the notes yourself, or just keeping your wiki alt-tabbed. Maybe this could be “lore mode” versus “game mode”

-Fix the Inn/spintria economies. My health could rip the arms off a long, or I could use it to make 6 pence hauling firewood? Have the income scale; but also give more to do with it. Afore mentioned “increasing costs to keep help”, or perhaps a wandering trader that sells foodstuffs, drinks, raw materials? Maybe a random one every other day; one sells food, one sells teas, one sells cloth, one sells metal.

- For spintria, there has to be a better answer than “learn language or buy book”. Rare trader sells exotic materials? Use Spintria to buy temporary buffs to a room/station? Buy lessons? Also, one visitor per day.

- Events are meaningless, and benefit/consequence free. Bring consequences, or adversaries to the house that have to be placated, or pacified - with possible spintria rewards - or rare materials or persistent memories. Also, visitors are both boring and meaningless.

-Reallocate the books by period. Make the baronial books 4-8, dawn 6-10, such and so forth. Tilt the eras more forwards the right of the house, so I don’t end up with no early game solvable books.

- re-wicker the skill tree. These ideas mutually exclusive:

1. At a minimum, try and line up closer relevant schools with associated soul aspects
2. Better: associate each school directly with a soul aspect. Slotting “nature school” skills adds heart
3. Best; adopt no new skill cards, like my concept above. Unlock all souls at level 1 (except for your starter 2) then add one or more passive bonuses each level. (+aspect, -time, others). This may also mean needing to reduce skills, requiring you to focus on a couple trees, and not unlock everything; else all trees now just “same-y”. You could fix with with perhaps a choice every two levels; pick a unique ability, which gates the other.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

You might want to try posting over on the WeatherFactory reddit or dropping an email to support@weatherfactory.biz.

They seem to be paying attention to both of those and interested in feedback (and pretty actively reacting to bugs and QoL issues at the moment).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dalaram posted:

- fix the “three more try system”. De-prioritize weather. I once got 2 weather tries; you can only ever have 1?!? Get rid of bullshit epiphanies. Emphasize art, things, and comfort. Maybe even increase odds of maladies, since this would make it easier.

While I agree with the overarching point, this is not strictly true - there is at least one Shenanigan you can pull in later midgame that lets you reliably generate more weather. This being the game it is, I suspect there are other ways. It happens late enough that you're already going to be angry with the weather opportunities.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How exactly do guests work? I have 3 empty beds and a guy shows every every blue moon for a book and then leaves?

I also have a Numa guest just sitting in my coin bag who hasn't done anything for over a year.

Dalaram posted:

- also, find more use for things, comfort and art. Maybe add more bar helpers who can use them. Or better; let everyone use comfort at least once. Add a workstation that uses art/comfort. Perhaps an easel? Upholstering station? (Would also need to change the classification of pets, who are comfort)
I think it would make sense to tie furniture and items to the room they're in. Assistants or whatever they are (I still haven't recruited anyone) would have access to whatever comfort and decorations are in the room with the workshop.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 28, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Not sure what's up with your Numa guest, are you sure it's a guest and not one of the Numa events? Regular guests (and the one Numa guest I've pulled so far) can be fed a book to give you spintria, or fed a spintria to teach you a language that they know and you do not. Beds are mostly for you to recover injured aspects or, sometimes, to refresh used aspects before the end of the day. You have to actively slot a guest in one to keep them for the next day, which is mostly relevant (and annoying) if you really desperately want their language but are out of spintria.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I forget the name exactly it might be an event. It has the bums tag and an occupant tag and it wants 3 Grail, but I don’t have any options to use it for talk or anything else. It won’t slot anywhere.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

So you can use a corrupted skill to infinitely generate stuff, once you start hitting tier 4 skills. Just find an appropriate bench that take the now singular aspect your soul has, and one that takes either aspect of the skill you want to generate. Voila - endless production of tier 5 crafts, with no memories or other items needed. You can make this a little earlier if you use a desk, and a re-usable tool that matches the aspect you’re looking for.

That said, you can’t use corrupted souls for any gathering, or talk related tasks. Only workstations.

It looks like there’s a lot of QoL patches coming “, including a button for completed tasks. I’m sure they’re overwhelmed with fixing glitches for now, hope to see some balance patches soon.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Worst part of the game so far is scrolling the map to the village.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

The new patch lets you increase keyboard scroll speed, and once you remap to WSAD (given the key for collect is C, this makes sense) you can get around the map very quickly.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

I think one of the patch notes said he was against improving this, because he wanted the house to feel isolated?

While I don’t agree with that opinion in a game that might take 40+ hours, I do appreciate the length of the bridge, since it is my grab bag collection of poo poo that I’ve foraged up that has no nice place to put in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fucks sake this isn’t a 90s point and click adventure game.