Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Tehan posted:

Can't say I've seen it myself, but then I've only seen 4 funds for a painting once, never 5. What's the secret to mad painting profitability?

(I've done my best painting when sticking 2 Notoriety in with 2 passion. It's 2x as potent as mystique. IF you only have 2 and keep using it, it will never be around when the inspector want to pick it up.

FYI timers on cards don't move while they are involved with verbs. You can use this to keep Cards alive longer than you normally would.

If you have trouble getting rid of evidence:

You can time it out by keeping the inspector busy. If you paint mundane paintings using Mystique you can generate more Mystique. Every time the detective takes a Mystique, they will chew on it for a whole minute. Painting can easily generate more Mystique than you use.

Alternately, if you are trying to keep them from snatching a Notoriety by sticking it in paintings, you can simply not paint for awhile, letting the timer on the Notoriety tick away while the huntard is busy. When the investigation timer gets low, suck the Notoriety back up into painting while the shlub picks up another Mystique.

I call this move "Baffle 'em with bullshit."

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Another hot tip, concerning cool painting tricks. (mid game-ish)

Cool poo poo happens when you get the edge of your painting higher than 12 or 16. (Not sure what the cutoff is.) 4 passions will give you 8 moth. Then have the focus of the painting be a good level moth lore. Finally use that moth based pigment.

Let me know when you do this and how cool the result is.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 4, 2018

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Tehan posted:

This implies some really heinous damage to the cosmology of the universe was done.

Heinous damage done to time? Space? Death? Undeath? Sounds like Fallen Londons world to me.

Another thing to consider is that some of the Hours might have more than one name.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I can't think that this is the end of the game. I'm sure they have more content planned. And it seems to me that it would be piss easy to add it. I can't wait really.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Edit: Dang, beaten

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

If you need disposable people, just get hirelings. Late in the game I personally send a hireling or a summon first on expeditions.This practice will probably be better when we get to 90% Max success rate.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Sell Silvers, keep the rest unless you are desperate for cash.

Grinding writing commissions is a very good way to get money. It also spams Mystique, which is a good way to keep a detective busy and let evidence fade.

Also, apparently the 10 min (600 seconds) counter on evidence doesn't reset anymore when it goes through the detective/Season of suspicion.

So basically as long as you keep your nose clean for 10 minutes after getting a Notoriety nabbed, you are free and clear.

I'm never going to lose to that again.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 19, 2018

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Does anyone know what lores are needed to Gain Health/Reason/Passion past the 4th level?

I really don't wanna just stick stuff in until something works.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

apparently I can gift my own scars to others

Fistula? I barely knew ya!

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think that's been in for a good while at the least even if it wasn't in from launch, i know i was benefiting from it forever ago. it basically is a mad dash to get as much cash as you can before something inevitably goes bad.

on an unrelated topic, i've been messing with being a dancer and i hope i'm doing what i'm supposed to? i'm focusing on heart, turned 2-3 health into +heart scars, vomited up a snake, and assume maybe i need to go up to the next tier of dancing by auditioning with my physique to get things further along the way. i can pretty reliably hit 11 heart with my dances as a baseline but i figure i need more going on. almost feel like i'm spinning my wheels a little but at the least the occult funmoney and occasional books from doing it have been somewhat lucrative.

You will send that skake with a certain expedition. Giving Mrs. S a lore snippet will have her share the location with you. Higher level dance forms will require heart influences.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Cult Sim is on the new humble monthly. If anyone wanted to sell me their bonus copy I would be interested.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'd be interested in selling you mine (always feels bad buying a game roughly a week before it's announced in Humble Bundle...)

hit me up at: wtoups@gmail.com

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'd be interested in selling you mine

The esteemed gentlemanne and I seem to be having a disagreement on the values of said amusement softeware programme. The offer to buy the Cult Sim key off someones bundle is still open.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Kaethela posted:

I'll take you up on that.

crimes.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Intoluene posted:

Goddamn it, I was actually getting pretty far this time.
Opening the Spider Door was a mistake.

I've done three playthroughs in a row without dying. (Including one advanced victory)

I handle this by treating the various game over systems (Evidence, Dread, Fascination) as cancer stage levels plus 1

Have one of these things: (Stage 2 cancer): I better deal with this right now, but I can still do other things.
Have two of these things: (Stage 3 Cancer): I need to focus all of my attention on this problem and ignore literally everything else.
I have three of these things: (Stage 4 Cancer):

Basically, if you have a single one of these I'd spend a good amount of effort towards the problem, EVERY time. I mean c'mon, stiff upper lip and all that.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

DO NOT forget that if you are holding something with your mouse, it will NOT be sucked up into a needy card slot.

For example, if I have 2 Notoriety and 3 Mystique and the Detective starts snooping around, I could do the following:
- Use max level painting to take up four of the cards, this takes about 50 seconds to finish, so I would wait until less than a second before the Detective shifts into their searching for clues mode.
- I click and hold the last card and continue doing so until the 30 second timer expires. I can pause the timer, set the card down, do stuff then reclick+hold the card before starting the timer again without risk.

If I ever go off pause while not click+holding that last card, I'm going to have it get sucked up.

Doing this with the various game over mechanic cards can really delay you getting killed. I've even held onto the Tentative Evidence card and had the detective spawn a copy of it.

This trick is also useful to force a Needy card slot to pick up certain cards. If I have a Notoriety with 52 seconds left on it, and a Mystique, Ill click+hold the Notoriety, wait for the Mystique to get sucked up, then stop worrying about it, because the Notoriety will disappear before that 60 second Detective timer ends.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 11, 2019

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

To avoid having my best cultist in any summons removed from a expedition, I always have some pawn or hired help lead the expedition in the first slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

At the beginning of the normal playthrough you should focus on getting enough money to buy out the auction house and mordlans shop. Once you study all of those you should have 4 or 6 level lores in everything. I would spend this winding up time talking about lores to find more and more cultist to join you.

The importance about having six values of every Lore is so you can do as many papers for your patrons as is necessary. these are not only good for auctionable Spintras, but turning these in generates erudition and glimmering which are good for studying lore together or leveling up your stats cards. you will still want to save some spintras for repairing any mirrors you might find.

you can answer the door Riddle that prevent you from getting higher in the Mansus if you have six of every lore. This is because you will have every possible answer to the question.

So yeah, the early game goal is to get enough lores so you can start doing the bigger stuff.

The real difficulty I found for the new game plus is that the long makes it so you have a timer of sorts. If you take too long then they go off and start doing nasty things. So you can't just sit back and slowly grind to a point where money is no object for example.

Doing painting and clerical work while selling Spintras I can usually generate about a hundred and fifty money in the early game and never truly run out before the end.

If you can get iotic essence from the spider door those things frequently auction for 20.

On new game plus I would not start an expedition unless I had 20 or more money. There has been times where I have had to come close to cancel the expedition because of length or failures while having to worry about getting my money taken away.