Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So, uh, is there some sort of reliable means of generating Dread on demand? Especially after you get to the Marks stage of the game and stop actually just getting Restlessness every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ataxerxes posted:

So I had something happen. I had 6 disciplines and 2 pawns the the hunter still made a trial and I got the improsonment ending. Can't you stick your minions into trouble, or do you have to do that manually?

I think it's either random whether you or a minion gets targeted, or you only get to send a minion to jail in your place once.

Not sure which, I've been careful about disposing of evidence since my last prison loss.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ok, let me try again

People that think getting health is worthless can probably just not reply to this post, thanks :)

If you for some reason do want to increase health, is there another way to do it other than getting 4 vitality to increase health using the Strong Physique + Study action?

No.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well poop, I've got a run that's pretty far in but in the mysterium card spam an illness turned into decrepitude, so getting 4 vitality is going to be tricky with 1 health card.

Something about the stacking seems a bit fiddly once you get pretty far into the game, there's a lot of reorganizing cards and uncovering stacked cards :ohdear:

You can turn Decrepitude back into Health with a rite, but that's obviously somewhat advanced.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's badass, do you know which rite / lore?

I don't remember the exact recipe, I think it's Heart, Forge and maybe something else? Not sure, I try to avoid Decrepitude.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So has anyone here actually tried to cast the The End Is Beautiful ritual? It seems like a game over so I'm rather scared of attempting it, but also insanely curious. This is the thing that has made me feel the most like a cultist, so good job Cultist Sim.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gato posted:

Finished my first game today, Lantern victory with a Knock cult. A bit frustrated that the end game boiled down to rolling the dice looking for the right artifacts to reach the arbitrary total for the last Rite, and constantly having to find new prisoners to maintain my ascension was a pain, but the feeling of mastery you get once you've accumulated enough instruments and lore and can pull out the endgame summons at will is fantastic. Third-level Knock cultists are amazing, they give you a constant stream of funds and items for zero risk, as well as handling all the locked doors even the summons can't manage. Plus the gigantic pile of lore I had by the end looked very pretty arranged by columns :)

I also got my first win, Lantern victory, but I had a Grail cult which made the constant prisoners super easy to get, since Tier 3 Grail cultists just get you a prisoner every time without fail.

And yeah I agree the ending was kinda grindy. In the end the thing that let me get through it was just rolling the Peacock Door over and over until I got a 15 Lantern Influence which, with the SUPER YOU LOSE EVERYTHING ritual made it pretty easy to hit the requirements.

I think I'm gonna give this game a rest until it gets more content, I feel like I drained it of everything it had even if I did only get one of the possible wins. I doubt the other two are significantly different enough. Still, fun game, took me 34 hours to get my win according to Steam which sounds about right, and is not a bad game length.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pirate Radar posted:

As I understand it there is no such thing as a sure thing in this game, everything can randomly do something else even if the chance is very, very small.

I've never had a 10+ expedition check fail and I had to run a lot of expeditions in my win. That seems rock solid at the very least.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Maybe that Sun achievement is related to that ritual, and you get it if it randomly targets you?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nightgull posted:

I keep getting level 8 items that look like paints but don’t actually work as them, and aren’t tools. Their only aspect is ingredient. What the hell are they for?

If they're not paints or poisons, they are just drinks or other consumables that you can toss into a rite or two.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I keep just racking up decrepitude without being able to cure it fast enough, or I get a bunch of dread back to back.

You know you can cure illness/injury by just using it in Dream with either Vitality or Money, right?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Huh. I just learned that A Favor From Authority is not actually a get out of jail free card. Which makes it kinda pointless. For how hard it is to get when you actually need it due to it being a timed card, it having a chance to fail is really annoying.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I dunno, I found that the top level winter lore has a 100% chance to drive investigators insane if they're not immune, though that's admittedly a very late-game thing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SettingSun posted:

I have 8 of the 9 soul cards and presumably the one I'm missing has some forge on it. I've discovered I can eat furniture in the house for memories but I'm hesitant to do that, but aside from aesthetics I haven't seen if the game encourages home decorating. Or what the significance of dating the books and rooms into eras is. Or even where the library itself is in this drat house. These books are practically just strewn on the floor. Not like I can even read most of them. Getting 6 of any aspect is a trial, let alone trying to get 10 or more.

Despite my whining I like it; reminds me of getting my head around CS for the first time.

Don't forget you can talk to your assistants (ideally the free one for this) to get random memories. One of those is forge based! You can also examine certain bits of furniture to get (really crappy) memories. One of the basic ones, Touch, gives 1 forge and I think you can get it by examining the couch in the very first room of the house, as an example. Doesn't consume the couch either. If you have any mettle, all you need to do is find a bed that accepts forge, slot in mettle, the 2 point forge memory and I'm pretty sure there's a 1 forge drink somewhere early enough. I've gotten my first clear of this game, so I'm willing to give hints on stuff!

Sekenr posted:

If you click on this tiny diamond which noone in their right mind would think to click, it will highlight all objects on the map that have the same tag.

Unless that does a permanent highlight, I think you can just hover the icon itself...

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 24, 2023

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Advancing a skill to level 9 with no waste is the most satisfying thing to do in the game, just arranging things so you have eight distinct memories (plus the lesson) in a single day just feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dalaram posted:

Is there a way to recall all completed tasks? I keep losing soul aspects by using them before dawn to generate stuff; but the text size on completion is so small, I end up losing them for days sometimes.

No, but if you press Backspace (by default) you zoom over to a completed task no matter where it is. This should really have been in the tutorial rather than just hidden in the keybinds.

Rapner posted:

So... should I wait to place skills in the wisdom tree until I can verify that what I'm getting can be upgraded?

You CAN but early on you really need as many stats as possible. If you want to be completely safe the easy trick is to make sure the skill and the stat it gives when slotted into the tree have at least one aspect in common, though it's not an actual absolute necessity. Also you only really NEED three successful combinations per stat as it's generally fine to just have one upgraded stat and a bunch of basic ones for multitasking. You don't often need two super powered Phosts in a single day!