Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My current investigator is grim, idealist, tenacious and meticulous. I'm never getting rid of this one, she already defeated an edge 8 demon and that was before she became tenacious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Erudition is the most inconsistent to get. But if you're trying to stack another source is:

Dreaming the white door, very unreliable.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The important bit is to know that only imagination has any real use as a skill. Scholarship is only a vehicle yo get more reason and the books will give you plenty for 2 erudition. Health has some weird use with health jobs but is useless by itself. Once you hit 2ild imagination (6 glimmering) it stops upgrading, that's the maximum level, then it's just a repeatable 8 glimmering for more passion.

Another trick is to look at your ascension path. Once you become a Know fulfilling aspects of your hunger rewards Base stats. I know the grail path gives passion and it stacks infinitely if you keep feeding it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ZeusJupitar posted:

Can anyone confirm how to make special paintings? I know you can do it with lore 6 + relevant pigment + four passion, but I don't know if you can do it with less passion, with reputation, with less lore etc?

It's all about the influences, any 12 or 16 influence will create a painting. Moth is easiest since passion already provides it but you can use a high level lore ad inspiration + appropriate pigment to make any type

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They count as a tool and can be used as a consumable, they have very high Base influences of their type.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gently caress i have like 8 rites right now. I have one that uses a tool, assistant and an influence so it's lore - knock cultist - whatever influence for what I want to summon.

I summoned a hint. This thing is crazy good.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gato posted:

Finished my first game today, Lantern victory with a Knock cult. A bit frustrated that the end game boiled down to rolling the dice looking for the right artifacts to reach the arbitrary total for the last Rite, and constantly having to find new prisoners to maintain my ascension was a pain, but the feeling of mastery you get once you've accumulated enough instruments and lore and can pull out the endgame summons at will is fantastic. Third-level Knock cultists are amazing, they give you a constant stream of funds and items for zero risk, as well as handling all the locked doors even the summons can't manage. Plus the gigantic pile of lore I had by the end looked very pretty arranged by columns :)

Maintaining ascension once you get the third mark isn't all that hard actually. If you can't fulfil the requirement it'll ask for glimmersing or erudition instead. If you can't fulfil that, only THEN does it consume reason or passion.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ataxerxes posted:

What are marks an how do you get them? In one game I got all the way to the Peacock Door without noticing any.

A mark is your ascension path. You start wth a notion and when you lock that in it becomes a mark. Passing the stag door let's you obtain the third mark through the work verb.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Made some good progress this morning after losing a run to the hunter last night. I've gotten a ton of cultists and a full set of disciples for each lore type, but I still haven't gotten through the stag door because I haven't rolled the correct lore yet. I'm just grinding out leve 3 and 4 expeditions with my raw prophet and random dudes. Sitting on a moth 10 lore, heh.

However I managed to do some real good art so I can start exalting my forge followers which is going to be a huge help going forward.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yah I know how to get through its just the last two lore I don't have at that level are winter and lantern and it's either of those two. I have several 8 and 10 lores sitting around plus a load of treasure. But until I roll that one specific lore I'm just stuck.

When I get home I'm going to just try and subvert another lore

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Actually that's wrong. All cult types can promote only with their lore type. A forge cult can only promote with forge etc. The exception is a histories guild which cannot promote with histories but rather promotes with that cultists type. So a moth cultist can only promote with moth and so on.

The special thing about knock is that knock books are insanely rare but you can promote any other type of lore to knock with study. Take a knock 2 lore and any other lore 2 and you get knock 4 and so on.

This also works for other lore types but it's very specific what they can be turned into.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'll have to test it but I'm pretty sure histories cults do care about the lore type but only insofar it matches the cultist.

You're supposed to be able to recruit aquaintances with any lore type though. The drawback for histories cults is that they can't exalt anyone. So disciples is the most you get.

Edit: turns out I'm wrong any cultist specific lore requirements don't apply to histories cults.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 5, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't that essentially make Secret Histories cults completely useless given how easy it is to promote people to disciple?

You get a stronger early game but give up exalted cultists, which isn't that much of a trade since demons exist. You'll be able to do expeditions right out the game basically.

^^
Yes a lot of things can be used as trappings. Crucially an item marked tool isn't consumed. Right now I have a tool with 8 forge so I can upgrade my cultists at any time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Spintra is money, which is explicitly a consumable.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Where the gently caress do I learn Phrygian? I have six books written in this goddamn deader-than-latin langauge. Is it a random book drop from an expedition or is there something specific about getting it? The flavor text you get when you slot in a Phrygian book in the study verb suggests that you can learn it from a ghost or something like that. Is that a a thing? Also, I sort of get that you get more powerful books from higher tier expeditions, are certain books found only in certain tiers? Or can a farm a high tier and eventually find all the books from lower tiers?

Yeah, some Demons can teach you languages with study.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Finally won my first victory, forge. Next i think I'll do grail and see how high it's possible to stack lores. I won with a forge 12 lore and another two pieces to hit 36 but I wanna see if I can go above 45.

The last gate is the victory condition but so far I haven't gotten a lot out of the peacock and spider doors. Peacock is especially expensive to get through considering the many drops of dread and fascination in there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When I finished my last game I had two level 12 lores and I could mash them together to upgrade still, what is the max level of lore? I'm tempted to try and just brute force knock as high as I can to see if I can get through the trepisoid gate that way.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It would be extremely in character if a knock cult could just brute force the last gate and steal immortality.

For my next run I'm going to try and find some secret history 14 to see what kind of crazy poo poo goes on out there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Problem with this: That doesn't maintain anything past the third mark, you downgrade gradually to it. And it does not Consume reason or passion, it exhausts it.

Only the requirement advances you or maintains you at 6. So sit at 3 until you're ready.

Yeah the mechanic could use an upgrade, for Forge it was super easy but there should probably be more of an incentive to progress your marks. Maybe if entering a gate had a mark requirement and it pulls in your ambition.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been interpreting fascination as being the damage your mind takes from dealing with all this supernatural poo poo. You're just some scrubby mortal trying to get into the next world.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Well, maxing out the seventh mark ritual is not how you get that other achievement, I can now confirm:

I think it might be if you call on a grand degree of winter in a regular rite you kill something. I think it's probable you're supposed to go for killing the sun by invoking winter and something else.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Alright, I backed up my save so let's test this.

Any other ideas you've got?

Well the sun is lantern and forge and was once sundered. The wolf divided is what's supposed to kill the sun so that seems appropriate to bring in. I haven't gotten that rite myself but I think those 3 would be the relevant options. You could try a few different combinations with the lores of those 3 aspects since the lore is what usually determines the spell cast.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The rite has 7 slots right? Try an aspect of everything except knock.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1006627351860600834

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Languages from patrons is a little under developed. Maybe if the language books were removed it would be better but my first move is always to exhaust the book shop and the auction house and both have the language books all three patrons teach so it’s kind of useless.

Maybe if instead learning a language cost more or you could pay patrons to translate for you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The various decks should probably be more spread out and randomised.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Whoops, nevermind.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah the moth stuff sounds really good, and it'll be a nice change to have the wounds system and relationships to give you more stuff to do. But can't help but wonder if Alexis Kennedy is gonna stop before he finished all the ascension paths.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think the idea is that your cultists are disposable and you should lose a few over a campaign, and its a roguelike so failure is expected. Its just that the early game is such a goddamn slog that once I'm past the stag door there's no way I'm not stacking every conceivable advantage so I don't have to do it again.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kaethela posted:

Cultists are absolutely not disposable, since there's a finite number of them and once they're gone you can never get them back. You get at most 3 of each aspect, and some aspects you only get two of.

But they are, permadeath is a thing. They are currency in your ascension and from Alexis Kennedy's viewpoint this is less of a video game and more of an art project.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Do I stay on the beta branch or go for regular? I noticed when I switched to the regular version for this update I don’t do lessons anymore and it’s just straight 4 erudition for an upgrade.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I’m not sure how the romance and rival stuff works at all. I’m dating a follower after I took her to the club but nothing else has happened.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Is it just me or does improving your physique not help you get better pay or a promotion in manual Labour. I got mechanical grace or what not and I still only got 1 coin

It helps you upgrade your dancing job.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

loving uuurgh. 5 hours into this run and I get classically sniped by fascination as my board is loving full of everything and I don't notice it's there while I have a despair token eating up my dread.

I was on the last form for heart ascension too, so burnt out on this game now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How do rivals work anyway? I haven't seen a single one but I also haven't initiated a romance with more than one character. Also that romance never progressed so it stayed at interest forever.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It really sucks that Alex insists on making this cool new content gated behind a victory condition because it takes forever and super encourages save scumming because the game is so grindy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alexis probably put a fresh save up for each path.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sunless skies has this thing where you can travel significantly faster by spamming the strafe move.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Something I’d like for jobs is that they just get completely taken out of the way or verb and instead get integrated with the time passing verb. You use the job verb to apply to and upgrade your job, but otherwise time passing will occasionally spawn events you can choose to deal with or ignore. Some jobs have different events like increased chance of injury for manual labour. Your skills can be used to upgrade them, so if you have a high scholarship skill you can upgrade the clerk job. Add a few more jobs for flavour and make the job verb used for free time activities (keep painting).

It’s just the absolute worst to have to keep updating the verb every minute or you get fired. Substitute it for a passive income and make money just another currency you use when you have a surplus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How exactly do guests work? I have 3 empty beds and a guy shows every every blue moon for a book and then leaves?

I also have a Numa guest just sitting in my coin bag who hasn't done anything for over a year.

Dalaram posted:

- also, find more use for things, comfort and art. Maybe add more bar helpers who can use them. Or better; let everyone use comfort at least once. Add a workstation that uses art/comfort. Perhaps an easel? Upholstering station? (Would also need to change the classification of pets, who are comfort)
I think it would make sense to tie furniture and items to the room they're in. Assistants or whatever they are (I still haven't recruited anyone) would have access to whatever comfort and decorations are in the room with the workshop.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 28, 2023