Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

more specifically, your temptation is that thing you want

that's why you advance it. because you want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so many mirrors shattered...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i sort of considered it "your personal attention" and was ok with it until i read the above and realised "oh poo poo, you can pause and do stuff can't you"

in other news, gently caress permanently losing stat cards due to rear end in a top hat idiot cultists not succeeding on "we'll certainly defeat this curse" checks!! 90% max success chance leads to amazing instances of King Crucible and Ezeem being driven off by some fuckin' villagers every so often

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I think the white door is just tiring, otherwise you'd get sickness and injury etc

also the Frangiclave owns enormously; no more repairwork!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bump off your rival and get a new evidence packet

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol you just quoted something to say it's a spoiler and wrapped it in spoiler tags so no-one has a clue what it is without mousing over it

and i am of the opinion that i do not have better things to do with my verbs than Substantial and Very Substantial commissions. the spintriae are extremely useful, as ritual resource, a source of Funds, or for fixing broken things. a silver one is like 8 funds at least - and a glimmering/erudition, which is handy if you're merging lore - in exchange for 20seconds talk, 60 seconds work, and, what, 60 seconds explore or so?

iron ones can gently caress off though. useless chunks of nothingness

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i did not follow the patch notes and it confused the poo poo out of me

you get a bunch of them from completing the first tier of expeditions, found using an occult scrap. no idea what they all do!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Nope. Sorry.

i mean there's rituals you can use, but it won't increase your total reason and passion; just swap one for the other

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pretty sure you have to do another grail standard victory first before you can do the grail newgame+

also: lol, guess Names aren't all they're cracked up to be

i also had king crucible fail to cross lockwood fen. rip fire elemental, thought of swamps and died

e: huh, triagulari appear bugged. he claimed a Fatigued health rather than one of the many, many non-fatigued healths i had, ending my game. nice.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 13, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah they're from another Mansus, i thought

in other questions, is there a loose writeup of the different histories anywhere?

ZeroCount posted:

what did you expect?

i expected my 90% chances to come off occasionally, which is the first step on the road to disappointment

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

heart influence on demand is also extremely useful for curses

generate a level 2 heart, and work oop ta mines at the same time with unskilled labour; study your heart with the resultant vitality, you have a Pulsing Air which you can talk to sulochana or a summon about to keep alive. do it twice and you can study them into a Pounding Air, which is enough for any curse apart from the wriggly ones.

it uses almost all your verbs but i prefer the certainty of this to trying to gamble with dreams. in just under three minutes you can generate a level 10 influence, so if you do it the instant your guys gently caress up a 90% chance you shouldn't get harmed by curses

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

love it when the alt right spams pepe memes to generate Mystique, therefore blocking the potential processing of Notoriety by the Weary Intelligence Officer

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It is worth tanking the longs, then once you're ready for your endgame, rile them up and kill them

If you get too rowdy too quickly they will crush you though. I've only fought 'em in reality and in dreams, but as they get to the higher levels of power their attacks are really quite damaging. Never seen a high level intriguer, not sure what that direct conflict involves

I ain't spoiling this because it's really just confirmation that a game mechanic works as described in-game, but again - you really don't want to face a powerful long without a very mature cult, so try not to block their early attacks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I think what gets me most about this game is how same-y it is. Every run is the same followers with the same affiliations, the same patrons with the same basic research requests, the same books and expeditions with the same rewards. Even the Mansus with its ephemeral nature is practically solid with the same sets of rewards along its paths each playthrough. This game definitely needed some aspect of personalized experience, probably through randomization, in each run outside of the starting scenario/cult focus.

It really does need some variation. Modding it is pretty trivial though; the hardest part would be creating the requisite art for new cards. I might try and create a randomised mansus mod, but the tricky bit there would be working out the impact of changing e.g. access to Heart influences

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol analysis

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can get more than one cult follower by Talking about things. you can also upgrade your cultists by Talking to your cult icon about them.

The game tells you this stuff but it's kinda easy to miss. Get a Grail cult so that you can do more to rear end than just beating it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

am i mad, or can you now speak to summons about your stats? the raw prophet now offers to turn your Reason into a Decrepitude and teaches you the level 6 knock lore, whereas Ezeem offers protection from disease

also is there a change in how to upgrade lore coming? all the lores have a Aspect: Requires... thing that indicates what you need to upgrade them now, and i am really not thrilled to see "there is a slight chance your reason may be permanently damaged" on some of them (specifically Formulae Vigilant). some of the others do indicate that having a certain skill (e.g. A Rarefied Mind) will provide actual benefit now; currently the only skills that help are the Health ones, so maybe this is an attempt to balance them up

also the You Are Diseased verb has the right colour now - a sickly green!

e: the maid in the mirror will give you the level 6 moth and decrepitude in exchange for passion (so does the Voiceless Dead, somehow), percussigiants will give protection from disease and trade reason for knock/decrepitude, the Hint gives nothing and the Caligne also gives nothing

ee: holy poo poo you can finally get sick by buying opium!

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 7, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

alright yeah the new research system is pretty good. it takes less time than the previous one, and you know the barriers you have to pass ahead of time. it also makes subversion slightly harder, but upgrades slightly easier, and it's really easy to subvert or upgrade lower-level lores. the headquarters are now quite useful, too - some still better than others, but they all now have a genuine use that might make you think twice about swapping HQs too often

still don't like the idea of damaging my passion or reason, but those are never the only options, and it's only for higher level lores.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh my god card locations are saved between sessions now

you can Collect All from an event that was running before you exited the game, and the cards will slot back into the places they originally came from instead of just heading to your spawn area

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I think i remember seeing the So Hangry thing before this patch, when I was poking around a month or so ago

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I wonder what a secret histories ending would look like, given that there's only one associated hour

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it is now significantly easier to merge lore, faster, and progress on failure is retained rather than it being all or nothing

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fun fact - if you have two different obstacles to overcome, both of which can be fulfilled by a permanent card like a skill or a hideout, you only have to submit it once

this means you can merge the highest trivially-amassed Secret Histories from the stag door with just a glimmering and morland's shop, into unresolved ambiguities

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think disposable cards are used up, but permacards stay. this may not in fact be intended behaviour

and yeah the one you don't need to get by doing an expedition is easily the best hideout if you do a lot of exploring and encounter a lot of curses and your rear end in a top hat idiot cultists can't succeed at a goddAMN 90% CHANCE IDIOTS. three minutes and basically all your verbs and you have enough heart influence to fend off anything but Nowhere

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well apostle starts give you a 12th-aspect lore :q:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Palemdromes posted:

Yea no, none of that is in my game. I’m fully updated with perpetual edition

what platform? android/ios are behind pc by a few versions, i thought

e: duh, perpetual edition. welp, no clue

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

who you send out to explore, or what lore you talk about, matters not at all

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ragnar34 posted:

Theresa is rad and it's a shame she only does one thing. Maybe she can be the main character of the upcoming library game.

she signs her books, which you can arrange beneath your bookshop hq, and this is important

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

uhhhhhhhh

anyway ghoul expansion is ok so far. i seem to be struggling for money a lot more though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ghoul tip - don't be a moron, like me, and instead try exploring with your temptation

e: goddamn i am a total idiot this would have made things way easier

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the painting gave me a Latin textbook, which, while technically necessary, was not quite what I had in mind as a reward for necrophagy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ghouls must explore with their temptation

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

still not really sure what the marks are for, tbh, although i assume it will be related to ascension somehow

jjust want 2 be naenia's fellow-painting...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Man I am getting absofruitly rocked with Notoriety and Evidence as Priest.

i thought they had special lawyers for that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i believe you get another douglas

douglases for all

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

iirc you need to try and recruit him into your cult like any other acquaintance, only with 21 in your chosen cult aspect instead of 1

never tried it though; only ever tried to poison him

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

re: searching for takeaway as a ghoul, in the Shifting Sands - why the gently caress did i think "hmm Lagun-flakes, delicious" while leaving behind the literal mummified Long-flesh at Messana

e: bloody Dorothy just talked away my dinner!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 1, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thanks to a slow weekend spent on call, i have now finished both Priest and Ghoul DLCs

summary: they are good. they are quite different from the base three ascensions, and occupy a difficulty niche somewhere between the base ones (inc. moth) and the newgame+ apostle legacies. think of them as newgame1.5 i guess, or if you want to be an rear end in a top hat you can think of the knock ascension as "asp-ostle"

priests get a shitload of money and ghouls get influence-based benefits (and a seemingly limitless amount of mystique), and the logical leaps required for victory are more than base game, less than apostles. for £2.50 each they are Good

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

doing a misaligned health-lore-fervour ritual as a priest is still pretty useful, though. it is, after all, an easy source of injuries