Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

woodenchicken posted:

But where do you get the blood, and don't say rats, I'm doing a no-rat run

You use the Liston Knife in your offhand (the amount of blood you get back from it is pretty huge) or you use a hacksaw as your main weapon. Hacksaw is a great weapon anyway so just put two of the upgrades for it into blood-generation and it works great.

Hacksaw/Liston as one equip and Barbed Cudgel as the other will carry through chapters 2 to 4 without issue. When you eventually get a sword or saber or whatever, you can swap the Liston for a stake and use sword+shotgun in the other slot.

You say a no-rats run, but with the knife and the hacksaw you can do a 100% no bloodsucking run; all your blood is from slashing people and hoping the blood lands in your mouth or something.
Or serums.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Apparently they're adding a "Story Mode" to the game that lowers combat encounters and difficulty.

Based on what I've heard of the game it seems like I should probably wait for this since I've heard the combat is boring at best and utter garbage at worst.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

BlackFrost posted:

Apparently they're adding a "Story Mode" to the game that lowers combat encounters and difficulty.

Based on what I've heard of the game it seems like I should probably wait for this since I've heard the combat is boring at best and utter garbage at worst.
Combat is fine. I'm not sure Vampyr's story alone is worth bothering with if you neuter the gameplay completely.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Combat is fine, good fun if you're a filthy casual like me, but some people were really upset it wasn't better than Dark Souls so it's :turianass: garbage. :turianass:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The biggest thing about Vampyr's combat is that it lacks the sense of feedback you get from games with better systems like screen shake, the satisfaction of landing a really heavy hit, etc. It's janky but not unplayable unless you really insist on killing nobody and gaining no skills.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The main problem with the combat is that the world levels were designed around it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I quit the game because of the combat so maybe I'll go back and check it out.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The "dungeons" and story combats were pretty good but having to fight a bunch just to travel between areas every day to have a few lines of dialogue made it pretty tedious for me. I would like the if the "story mode" removed 90% of the travel combat but left the rest at the same difficulty.

It will probably just make everything easy mode though.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, of all the open world games this is the one that just has no fast travel options at all. At least it's not hard to just run past all Prydwen fools.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

http://www.shacknews.com/article/106443/dontnod-is-creating-universes-beyond-gaming-for-life-is-strange-vampyr-and-twin-mirror

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Clive Owen as a turn-of-the-century Vampire Doctor would be the bee's knees.

Although the biggest surprise of the article, for me, was that Shack News is still around! :monocle:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BlackFrost posted:

so is it just removing fights or just making them a ton easier?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cirofren posted:

The "dungeons" and story combats were pretty good but having to fight a bunch just to travel between areas every day to have a few lines of dialogue made it pretty tedious for me. I would like the if the "story mode" removed 90% of the travel combat but left the rest at the same difficulty.

It will probably just make everything easy mode though.

Yeah, given just how much you're expected to travel around, particularly late game, it was a weird decision to not only have no fast travel, but also to fill the routes with additional time-consuming filler fights. Like, you already have outposts scattered in every district, the ability to fast-travel between them seems like a no-brainer.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

More details of the vampyr show coming to Fox - it’s to be shepherded by McG, most famous for directing the Terminator sequel with Christian Bale and ALL of Sugar Ray’s peak-period music videos (not to mention the video for Smash Mouth’s “All Star”) - https://news.avclub.com/fox-and-mcg-developing-tv-adaptation-of-weird-horror-ga-1828395371

Given the pedigree and the network I expect this to either die quietly or live for a maximum of one season

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Basic Chunnel posted:

More details of the vampyr show coming to Fox - it’s to be shepherded by McG, most famous for directing the Terminator sequel with Christian Bale and ALL of Sugar Ray’s peak-period music videos (not to mention the video for Smash Mouth’s “All Star”) - https://news.avclub.com/fox-and-mcg-developing-tv-adaptation-of-weird-horror-ga-1828395371

Given the pedigree and the network I expect this to either die quietly or live for a maximum of one season

how the hell is it getting a show? like what i have played isn't bad but even the story isn't exactly some super great stuff. I can think of a couple game franchies that could have a show before vampyr.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how the hell is it getting a show? like what i have played isn't bad but even the story isn't exactly some super great stuff. I can think of a couple game franchies that could have a show before vampyr.

They found a producer who loved both VTM and The Knick. Sometimes you get lucky with a pitch. :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The combat is fine, I enjoyed it. You can just run past dudes if you don't feel like fighting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I kind of want to see how badly McG can botch a Soderbergh clone job

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Getting greenlit hardly ever means making it to a full production even with a director involved. That Life is Strange webseries has been in limbo forever and that's a way more popular Dontnod IP.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And let's not forget how many times a Wheel of Time show/film has been greenlit and never happened, despite that being a license to print money

Same with Neuromancer (I still think it's gonna come out one day!)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Getting greenlit hardly ever means making it to a full production even with a director involved. That Life is Strange webseries has been in limbo forever and that's a way more popular Dontnod IP.

Huh, I had just assumed that particular project was dead since nothing came of it since the announcement (plus it would be kind of hard to do without it coming off as a Twin Peaks ripoff not to mention all the inherent problems involved trying to adapt a choice-based series), Vampyr at least makes a little more sense as far as making an adaption goes.

But Dontnod has expressed interest in developing a kind of expanded universe for their respective properties so I suppose there's still hope in it getting picked up again (there is a sequel and a 4 issue comic miniseries on the way soon after all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 17, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Before I sink too much into my sawnoff, can I get a real shotgun somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I made it as far as the west end, but I don't think I'm going to make it any further without eating people.

• Locked thread