Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Captain Oblivious posted:

"Highly derivative of a list of games that play almost nothing alike"

O...okay.

I can understand how you could crib elements from those games and make something, but it might not work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Have played, definitely seems to deliver judging by chapter 1. All the talk of the non violent business is a lot more watered down than said, this isn't a ghost run game, but there's a direct trade off between being a nice guy and your power level. Being good is hard.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I like the idea that you get the best blood from good people, like you are some folkloric dragon that only eats virgins

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The vampire would love somethingawful then!!!

I want this game I can’t wait for it to go on sale thanks for impressions

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Your Computer posted:

without resorting to trawling twitch, can someone point me in the direction of some gameplay footage?

I usually quite like this guy. From the perspective of someone playing it blind though, so maybe wait for the inevitable Giant Bomb quick look or something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ckt5UfqgrM

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

without resorting to trawling twitch, can someone point me in the direction of some gameplay footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lct6x-XqWrw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ok I'm buyng the game

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The ACG guy gave it a very positive review and I tend to agree with him most of the time on story-based games, so that's encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidwgHSddIQ

Game looks cool imo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The ACG guy gave it a very positive review and I tend to agree with him most of the time on story-based games, so that's encouraging.

This looks pretty good.

Hot take, the combat looks pretty floaty but that is the same as 99% of RPGs. You aren't going to convince me that Skyrim has good melee combat. Hell, the Witcher 3 was amazing but don't even pretend that the combat system was that dynamic.

Lethality is not a thing in RPGs intrinsically due to stat systems. You only really see movement away from that in cases where the system is hyper-lethal (like Souls) or there is no strict level system and you instead get perks that give you upgrades to things other than raw damage output (like Deus Ex)

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 5, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

O...okay.

probably why mixing them all together made a bad game eh

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The game seems cool so far but beware that there's only autosaves so if you gently caress up a conversation or get an unintended outcome from a quest choice then that's it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

a sick ptsd homeless vet and mentally ill person combine give you less xp than one ambulance driver).

That is loving disgusting.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pwnstar posted:

The game seems cool so far but beware that there's only autosaves so if you gently caress up a conversation or get an unintended outcome from a quest choice then that's it.

Every game should do this, hth.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've been following this since it was announced but kept my expectations low. The chance of it being utter jank like agony seemed pretty high.
But from the impressions here and some other places it seems pretty decent so I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Oh and RPS put up a video with tips for beginners. Only watched a bit but it does seem useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwq5GGdttaU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah, like right now I just did a quest and saved a dude in the sewer. It was one of those quests that gave a big flashing warning that if I go to sleep in game, homeboy dies. He still hasn't left the sewer and when I talked with his buddy who was looking for him he still hadn't come back. Don't want to rest and accidentally kill him, but I can't go back any further and potentially unfuck anything.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

O...okay.

That's kind of my point though. There are a huge amount of games which can thrown into the open world RPG genre even though they feel incredibly different from one another. The games I listed each have a uniquely different focus and usually do at least one or two things better than anyone else, but its not hard for me to imagine a hypothetical game that takes elements from each and mixes-and-matches them because the games are similar enough to allow for this.

From the little I've seen of Vampyr it was very easy to draw comparisons to other games for just about everything. "That's a lot like the monster contracts in Witcher 3" or "That weapon system reminds me of the Souls games" or "The compass reminds me of Bethesda games." None of these elements in Vampyr seemed to improve on what I was comparing them to so it left me wondering what was special about this game that would make me want to pay full price for it.

The morality system that people have been mentioning is probably the main draw that sets this game apart but whether it succeeds or fails in making the system engaging and fun probably doesn't become apparent until near the end when the XP you get from killing townspeople actually matters. I'd actually love to hear more impressions about this from people playing the game since having a morality system work well in any game seems really hard but tying it to XP seems especially difficult to balance properly. Combat usually ends up breaking and becoming way too easy or way too hard.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m still super early in the game, just past the first boss, but I’m loving it so far. The presentation is the biggest highlight for me so far. A muted color palette that isn’t shades of brown and grey, a super creepy bassy score, top sound and VO. It really pulls you into the world and thankfully the story and combat are good enough to make me want to stay. The morality/XP system is what really gets me. The game tempts you with big fat pools of XP right in front of your face. I can’t wait to get back to it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I hope this game is good and not bad and that there's a good game like this that isn't Bloodlines. I'd take or even prefer a Bloodlines-like that had nothing to do with vampires or the supernatural, but if the next best and most recent thing is also vampires then thats the way the cookie crumbles i guess?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Only just ended up in the first "hub", such as it is, but it looks promising so far. It's much more talky than fighty, which is good in my books. My only criticism so far is that gathering clues about people sometimes don't really seem to lead to a conclusion unless you plan on snacking on them. You just discover some fairly big secret about somebody, and then that's sort of it I guess :shrug:

Also, important thing I learned so far: Put some XP towards improving your max stamina ASAP. Otherwise those teleporting loving Skul will leave you constantly empty and unable to do anything to them :argh:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Early game hot take: I know it's kind of lame compared to blood landmines and such but if you just want to get through the combat and back to spoopin' your way through Sad London, the passives are your smartest investment. Especially if you plan on playing a Good Boy (aka very hard) put every scrap of XP into stamina increases until the level limits force you to invest elsewhere. Then do health, followed by blood on bite if needed (biting random pricks in combat doesn't count against being a Good Boy). Upgrade the bludgeon you get early on for bonus stun, stun lock/bite most enemies into oblivion.

Really digging it so far, but still too early to form a concrete impression. Definitely don't buy it for the combat.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 5, 2018

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Believe it or not, I was just wondering how viable it would be to rely on weapons and biting. I find myself concentrating so much on special abilities that I develop tunnel vision and get wrecked, so that seems more my speed.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I kinda like open world janky B-games but now that I'm up to the second major hub it's just SO MUCH TALKING. Feels like there's more words here than Planescape, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but that over half the words are British people exchanging pleasantries ad nauseum. I guess what I'm trying to say is the pacing is off because as soon as you get to a hub, you're in for a very long downtime because there will be at least fourteen people to "Pip Pip Cheerio What do you think of the War? (You have received a clue!)" at in-depth.

The combat feels better once you get used to the odd rhythm of it. It ain't anything near Bloodborne.

I think the part that made me actually take a break and play State of Decay 2 for a while instead was when I found out that people in previous hubs can get sick as you pass time/spend xp. Now I have to head back to the Hospital and give out a half-dozen fatigue cures and have to be more mindful in the future to save up xp to spend at once instead of spending it whenever you're near a bed. I'm not on-board with just how harsh this punishment was on the first night it happened to me and I'm worried it's going to happen every time now. Feels like busywork.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Believe it or not, I was just wondering how viable it would be to rely on weapons and biting. I find myself concentrating so much on special abilities that I develop tunnel vision and get wrecked, so that seems more my speed.

That's about 90% of what I've been doing so far. With a level or two in bite damage it does about as much damage as your regular weapons (depending on upgrade level and enemy resistances), and at least with the scythe you can get bites fairly reliably.

That said, it's probably a good idea to invest into at least one offensive ability. With the way resistances seem to work, it seems quite important not to rely on only one type of damage. The shotgun hunters in particular tend to be very hardy against "mundane" attacks, but a poke of the old blood spear puts them down nice and fast.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 5, 2018

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So if you hold down the "P" key while in the skill description menu while you are levelling up, your XP bar just keeps filling up until you let go. So if you feel like it you can be absurdly strong right out of the tutorial and laugh at moral choices.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So whats the explanation of the game being about the ethical dillema of being a doctor vampire while simultaneously you bite and kill hundreds of street ruffians

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So whats the explanation of the game being about the ethical dillema of being a doctor vampire while simultaneously you bite and kill hundreds of street ruffians

They're vampire hunters that are trying to kill you. It's kill them or be killed yourself. Plus you were a war time medic, so you've killed before.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Please, it's Dr. Acula

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Merrill Grinch posted:

I kinda like open world janky B-games but now that I'm up to the second major hub it's just SO MUCH TALKING. Feels like there's more words here than Planescape, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but that over half the words are British people exchanging pleasantries ad nauseum. I guess what I'm trying to say is the pacing is off because as soon as you get to a hub, you're in for a very long downtime because there will be at least fourteen people to "Pip Pip Cheerio What do you think of the War? (You have received a clue!)" at in-depth.

"Pip pip cheerio might I have a pint of the red stuff?" sounds hilarious though.

Typically the wordsy games are the ones that actually stand the test of time too. So now that this is finally downloaded i'm hyped to get into it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 6, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pwnstar posted:

Please, it's Dr. Acula

New thread title, tia.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

Combat advice from Chapter 3:

All hail the inanimate wooden rod. All hail the stake, holy destroyer of every foe big and small!

Step 1: Get the better stake during the early crazy vampire patient sidequest.
Step 2: Destroy everything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Game is good but also way too easy for you to be actually tempted to drain every good person in the city. I've only drained one dude that really deserved it for like 600 xp and I'm just plowing through the fights.

Two handers with stun damage are totally op

E. Where do you find the cure for headaches? I cant find it anywhere

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 6, 2018

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Is there a downside to munching on 'good' npcs once you finish or if you're not interested in their quests? Do the hubs empty or die out?

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

DreamShipWrecked posted:

E. Where do you find the cure for headaches? I cant find it anywhere

Head east out of whitechapel towards the cemetary. It's on a body near the locked gates. Strangely easy to miss.

Edit: not the tiny cemetary with the poet. the big one.

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 6, 2018

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Noirex posted:

Is there a downside to munching on 'good' npcs once you finish or if you're not interested in their quests? Do the hubs empty or die out?

I believe the hubs go 'bad' and there will be monsters and stuff everywhere

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Well, I do believe that intro cinematic was quite possibly the most edgy thing i've ever seen in a video game. The game itself is fantastic though. The intro had me laughing, but what happened afterwards was just pure nightmare fuel as things got dark real fast.

Still, "WHAT IS LIFE BUT DEATH PENDING?!" has got to be the most edgelord thing i've seen since anything to do with Death Knights in World of Warcraft.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Archonex posted:

Well, I do believe that intro cinematic was quite possibly the most edgy thing i've ever seen in a video game.

Was it sniper rifle abortion edgy?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

JBP posted:

Was it sniper rifle abortion edgy?

A presumably old timey and slightly crazy sounding British man rhymed and rambled on about the damnation of man and the death of Christ, how living forever sucks and death is actually a sweet blessing given to mankind, and how life is but death pending. All this as what I assume was him snacked on my character like a complete jackass. Then I woke up severely wounded and weak in the middle of a literal monochrome charnel field surrounded by withered and rotting plague corpses (Two of them, a man and a woman, were embracing each other. It was hard to tell at first though since they looked like they had literally melted together at some point after dying.) that looked as if they were burned to death only to forcibly crawl out of the pit. The sky is raining what appears to be either severe pollution or bits of burnt up people too.

I'm now following a blood trail to...something. The whole thing went from hilarious to "Oh god what the gently caress is this? :stonk:" levels of disturbing in like five seconds flat. So bravo on the game for doing what most couldn't and taking me off guard I guess.

Also i'm pretty sure i'm going to eat him in a minute here. Karma is a bitch after all. Will post more impressions as I go along.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 6, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Merrill Grinch posted:

Head east out of whitechapel towards the cemetary. It's on a body near the locked gates. Strangely easy to miss.

Edit: not the tiny cemetary with the poet. the big one.

Come on guys, really?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Archonex posted:

Well, I do believe that intro cinematic was quite possibly the most edgy thing i've ever seen in a video game. The game itself is fantastic though. The intro had me laughing, but what happened afterwards was just pure nightmare fuel as things got dark real fast.

Still, "WHAT IS LIFE BUT DEATH PENDING?!" has got to be the most edgelord thing i've seen since anything to do with Death Knights in World of Warcraft.

Pretty much every review online has made a point of how stupid the intro is. Fortunately it picks up immediately afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

FunkMonkey posted:

Pretty much every review online has made a point of how stupid the intro is. Fortunately it picks up immediately afterward.

Yeah uh. This is actually really drat good. This game ought to be getting more attention.

I'd like to make a pithy remark like "Press F to eat Mary." but holy poo poo i'm still reeling at how hosed up that was. I just wanted to talk to her, not vamp out on her!. I thought he'd be able to keep it together long enough to get away or something. drat. :stonk:

Currently fleeing from a small army of angry gun toting peasants. If this doesn't give me tutorial immunity i'm assuming this is going to be a quick run through the game.

• Locked thread