Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Archonex posted:

A presumably old timey and slightly crazy sounding British man rhymed and rambled on about the damnation of man and the death of Christ, how living forever sucks and death is actually a sweet blessing given to mankind, and how life is but death pending. All this as what I assume was him snacked on my character like a complete jackass. Then I woke up severely wounded and weak in the middle of a literal monochrome charnel field surrounded by withered and rotting plague corpses (Two of them, a man and a woman, were embracing each other. It was hard to tell at first though since they looked like they had literally melted together at some point after dying.) that looked as if they were burned to death only to forcibly crawl out of the pit. The sky is raining what appears to be either severe pollution or bits of burnt up people too.

I'm now following a blood trail to...something. The whole thing went from hilarious to "Oh god what the gently caress is this? :stonk:" levels of disturbing in like five seconds flat. So bravo on the game for doing what most couldn't and taking me off guard I guess.

Also i'm pretty sure i'm going to eat him in a minute here. Karma is a bitch after all. Will post more impressions as I go along.

:stonk:
Oh god right after this you stumble upon a human and feed out of instinct before your character realizes it's someone he knows: his sister!!

Opening is solid so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:stonk:
Oh god right after this you stumble upon a human and feed out of instinct before your character realizes it's someone he knows: his sister!!

Opening is solid so far.

Yeah. Uh. You're a bit late to warn me there. But the effort is appreciated!

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Archonex posted:

Yeah uh. This is actually really drat good. This game ought to be getting more attention.

I'd like to make a pithy remark like "Press F to eat Mary." but holy poo poo i'm still reeling at how hosed up that was. I just wanted to talk to her, not vamp out on her!. I thought he'd be able to keep it together long enough to get away or something. drat. :stonk:

Currently fleeing from a small army of angry gun toting peasants. If this doesn't give me tutorial immunity i'm assuming this is going to be a quick run through the game.

I tried to walk around her for a bit. Your bloodlust generates invisible walls.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Come on guys, really?

Yeah. You know you're heading the right general direction when you get in a fight with a guy and you go "HOLY poo poo LOOKIT THAT CROSS" and then after the fight your guy says "HOLY poo poo DID YOU LOOKIT THAT CROSS BRO?" And then you keep heading east a while to a locked gate.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I personally appreciate that the designers actually had Jonny look like the sort of haggard, red-eyed, bearded dude that you would picture if you thought of a veteran medic who now works the graveyard shift at a hospital during a loving epidemic, rather than the Greek god pretty boy that would have been the lazy choice for a contemporary vampire protagonist.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 6, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Merrill Grinch posted:

Combat advice from Chapter 3:

All hail the inanimate wooden rod. All hail the stake, holy destroyer of every foe big and small!

Step 1: Get the better stake during the early crazy vampire patient sidequest.
Step 2: Destroy everything.

When's a good time to do that? I tried to do it basically immediately and got destroyed.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Oh my god. I just hit V and it turns out the main character has Witcher Vision. Only it highlights blood. :allears:

Edit: Also, apparently turning into a vampire gives you some sort of low grade ability to sprint through wooden objects like barrels like the juggernaut. That hunter thought he was safe on the other side of them. Noooope.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 6, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Archonex posted:

Oh my god. I just hit V and it turns out the main character has Witcher Vision. Only it highlights blood. :allears:

The fact that EVERY aspect of your perception dulls except your ability to detect blood is a really nice touch. The gameplay itself is clunky as hell, but there's no denying that they nail the aesthetic in this game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Gonna buy this so hard when it's 5 dollars next year during summer sale.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought it but I also bought blazblue and onrush so I will likely never play this owned op owned oh wait

Archonex
May 2, 2012

FunkMonkey posted:

The fact that EVERY aspect of your perception dulls except your ability to detect blood is a really nice touch. The gameplay itself is clunky as hell, but there's no denying that they nail the aesthetic in this game.

Yeah. They definitely nailed the aesthetics. It highlights living people too. You've basically got some sort of hosed up predator vision that lets you instinctually size a person up to see if they're a good snack and what they're weak to in combat. You basically want it on when you're actually hunting something as opposed to doing more human stuff like investigating the scenery or trying to chat with people.

Not sure it highlights items too. Since I walked right by a few and didn't see anything.

Also, the first person I spoke too was the barmaid. Hearing him wig out about everything while she tried to repeatedly extricate herself from the conversation with the literally blood soaked man (with a bullet hole in his shirt dead smack in the middle of the blood) that came stumbling in off the streets in the dead of night was a nice touch that hammers home how hosed the situation is at that point.

Edit: Ahaha. "William is a good man! He was just taken by the thirst!" the priest says while surrounded by rotten skeletons, old human bones, and dozens of stacked and impaled corpses like something out of a cannibal horror film. Pretty sure vampirism as i've seen it so far doesn't turn you into a psychopathic killer. Either this guy is deluded to the point of insanity, he's a monster too, or he's dumb as hell. Regardless, taking him in is probably not going to end well.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 6, 2018

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Pylons posted:

When's a good time to do that? I tried to do it basically immediately and got destroyed.

About Evolution/Level/Arbitrary level 10 or so. If you're having trouble with the triple vampire hunter spawn outside the building, try building combos around stun more. Most offensive vampire abilities will cooldown while the suck animation plays...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

what is glass..... but tortured sand

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

who the gently caress left that line in there

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

what is glass..... but tortured sand

What is juice but murdered fruit?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Intro and jank aside, I’m mostly enjoying this game, but the save system combined with the ambiguous connection between the dialogue options and what Reid actually says/does seems like a recipe for fuckin disaster.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

double negative posted:

Intro and jank aside, I’m mostly enjoying this game, but the save system combined with the ambiguous connection between the dialogue options and what Reid actually says/does seems like a recipe for fuckin disaster.

I can't remember what game it was where this happened, but is it the kind of dialogue shock where you think you're choosing some firm words and when you select it the PC suddenly slams an NPCs head into a table while you tell "WOAH DUDE NO WHAT????" at the tv?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I just wrapped up the first round of "get all the hospital denizens' life stories" and at the very least it doesn't look like there's an abundance of exclusive dialogue choices that can lock you into a branch. But they look like they might still be there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

I can't remember what game it was where this happened, but is it the kind of dialogue shock where you think you're choosing some firm words and when you select it the PC suddenly slams an NPCs head into a table while you tell "WOAH DUDE NO WHAT????" at the tv?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urKJqdq4eX4

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-6pGuSwwok

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There is not an Australian alive that would have chosen anything other than [glass him].

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

double negative posted:

Yeah, I ran into that issue with the quest related to the old doctor and old nurse at the hospital: After confronting him about it, the new available dialogue option is "Cover for him", which actually turns out to mean "Cover for him, but demand his resignation after the epidemic". Which ends on a rather down note of him going "Well I guess I'll retire to some country home and wait for death, then". Only afterwards it turned out that I had two options, with the other one being to cover for him without demanding resignation. But the only way to know that would have been to look into the quest log basically while the dialog was running, and who does that? So in the end I thought I was picking the milder option, when in truth it was actually the harsher one.

So I guess the unspoilery lesson learned here is: When there are two people linked to a sidequest, it seems to mean there are two possible ways to solve it. Make sure to actually check both options in the questlog before settling on one.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wait, what? There were multiple solutions to that quest?

Man what the gently caress. I'm not asking the game to hold my hand but give me some indication I have a choice here. Besides, like you said, the dialog sounded completely safe!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Is there a key for this locked morgue chest ?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Personally when the game fucks me mid-dialogue I just alt tab out and cancel the process. It doesn't save until the conversation is over. Free do-over bitch!

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Qmass posted:

Is there a key for this locked morgue chest ?

I believe it's a character chest which you open if you feed on them. Haven't found one and I'm up to chapter 3

Also, how many of you started no kill runs then wimped out of them, a no kill run is Dark Souls hard in terms of the dodge timings

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Alright I think I'm going to get this game all the reviews and posts here are making I sound extremely good despite itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This game was developed by the same team that did Remember Me, which is a pretty good barometer for if you can handle games with more ambition than budget.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

This game was developed by the same team that did Remember Me, which is a pretty good barometer for if you can handle games with more ambition than budget.
This really is Bloodlines 2 lmao

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is this a full story or are they doing something episodic with it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Is this a full story or are they doing something episodic with it?

I'm pretty sure that unlike LIfe is Strange, Vampyr is just a standalone game and not being released as individual episodes. I could be wrong though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Larryb posted:

I'm pretty sure that unlike LIfe is Strange, Vampyr is just a standalone game and not being released as individual episodes. I could be wrong though.

It's just a regular stand alone videogame.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta say, after a few hours in this is pretty much exactly what I hoped for when they announced it. Sure it has some jank and weird design decisions but I can easily live with that compared to what it would have been if todays Activision had published it. My only real problem is struggling with the combat but I guess that'll come with practice and more powers.
Also, I really don't mind the lack of manual saves. Whenever I play games like this I own my mistakes even if it feels like the game tricked me into making a bad decision. I wouldn't have reloaded if I could.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 6, 2018

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
On games like these I use saves mostly to test out perks/spells that I'm not sure work as I expect it and to take choices I know are dumb, but I'm curious whether or not the game is willing to punish me for it.

Like on Witcher 3 I made a save before believing on the wraith on that cursed island because it had "bad loving idea" written all over it but I still wanted to know what would happen if I took it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I don't mind the autosaves but I'd definitely appreciate if they implemented a dialogue system similar to Deus Ex: HR where hovering over your response pops up a subtitle stating explicitly what you're going to say.

FuckLacedFusillade
Jan 21, 2005
Legendary Dark Knight
With regards to punishing dialogue options, if you want to keep all the citizens alive then do NOT mind control the blackmailer. (early-mid game quest) It all ends rather horribly. :(

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I know this game is supposed to be like Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Dishonored, Fallout and Nioh but should you play it with a gamepad? Was the game made for one? Does it control well with one?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Probably better than KB+M tbh

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wooper posted:

I know this game is supposed to be like Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Dishonored, Fallout and Nioh but should you play it with a gamepad? Was the game made for one? Does it control well with one?

Yeah, it works absolutely fine with a gamepad, to the point where it seems like it's the intended way to play. Combat probably works better than with kb+m, and the various menus are laid out well enough that it's not an issue there either. The only exception is the main menu, where you're awkwardly pushing around a pseudo-mouse cursor with your stick for some reason.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

100% use a gamepad. Ranged weapons work the same as in bloodborne - minus the parrying, though I think the shotgun interrupts. The menus use a cursor sort of like mouse but clearly designed with a gamepad in mind, basically like what I gather destiny does on console (though I played that garbage on PC).

I'm enjoying this game, its firmly an 8/10 IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FuckLacedFusillade posted:

With regards to punishing dialogue options, if you want to keep all the citizens alive then do NOT mind control the blackmailer. (early-mid game quest) It all ends rather horribly. :(

"Forget about the blackmail :) and also everything you care for in life" :stare:

Really regret that one. Which is weird because it doesn't give you any mess about it, unlike the second pillar you take down that totally needs to get ate.

exquisite tea posted:

That seems like all of games that they make. Life Is Strange had good pull overall but I can definitely see this become the new Remember Me, ie super cool and ambitious but soon largely forgotten, which is a damned shame

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 6, 2018

• Locked thread