Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Dark Soulsy, Bloodlines, or Bloodborne? I don't imagine "you die easily" style Dark Souls game play working when you're a superhuman nocturnal predator. Though I guess most of what you'd fight in this game would know your weaknesses.

Seriously tempted to pick this up regardless however. What's the replayability and "dicking around" factor in it?

Steam only has like 8 reviews, which is confusing. I would have thought this game would be selling like hotcakes given the VTM: Bloodlines fixation gamers have. Adding an actual open world game to it (with the ability for districts to fall to the plague and people to be more dynamic) sounds like it would be amazing and right up folks alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
FWIW it seems that a lot of the negative reviews are complaining that it isn't Dark Souls/a hack and slash/insert person's favorite game here or complaining about a graphical glitch that can occur.

It sounds like it went the Bloodlines route of making the story and character interactions a major focus as well. So if you liked that game you'd probably enjoy this one.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Merrill Grinch posted:

I kinda like open world janky B-games but now that I'm up to the second major hub it's just SO MUCH TALKING. Feels like there's more words here than Planescape, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but that over half the words are British people exchanging pleasantries ad nauseum. I guess what I'm trying to say is the pacing is off because as soon as you get to a hub, you're in for a very long downtime because there will be at least fourteen people to "Pip Pip Cheerio What do you think of the War? (You have received a clue!)" at in-depth.

"Pip pip cheerio might I have a pint of the red stuff?" sounds hilarious though.

Typically the wordsy games are the ones that actually stand the test of time too. So now that this is finally downloaded i'm hyped to get into it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 6, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Well, I do believe that intro cinematic was quite possibly the most edgy thing i've ever seen in a video game. The game itself is fantastic though. The intro had me laughing, but what happened afterwards was just pure nightmare fuel as things got dark real fast.

Still, "WHAT IS LIFE BUT DEATH PENDING?!" has got to be the most edgelord thing i've seen since anything to do with Death Knights in World of Warcraft.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

JBP posted:

Was it sniper rifle abortion edgy?

A presumably old timey and slightly crazy sounding British man rhymed and rambled on about the damnation of man and the death of Christ, how living forever sucks and death is actually a sweet blessing given to mankind, and how life is but death pending. All this as what I assume was him snacked on my character like a complete jackass. Then I woke up severely wounded and weak in the middle of a literal monochrome charnel field surrounded by withered and rotting plague corpses (Two of them, a man and a woman, were embracing each other. It was hard to tell at first though since they looked like they had literally melted together at some point after dying.) that looked as if they were burned to death only to forcibly crawl out of the pit. The sky is raining what appears to be either severe pollution or bits of burnt up people too.

I'm now following a blood trail to...something. The whole thing went from hilarious to "Oh god what the gently caress is this? :stonk:" levels of disturbing in like five seconds flat. So bravo on the game for doing what most couldn't and taking me off guard I guess.

Also i'm pretty sure i'm going to eat him in a minute here. Karma is a bitch after all. Will post more impressions as I go along.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 6, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

FunkMonkey posted:

Pretty much every review online has made a point of how stupid the intro is. Fortunately it picks up immediately afterward.

Yeah uh. This is actually really drat good. This game ought to be getting more attention.

I'd like to make a pithy remark like "Press F to eat Mary." but holy poo poo i'm still reeling at how hosed up that was. I just wanted to talk to her, not vamp out on her!. I thought he'd be able to keep it together long enough to get away or something. drat. :stonk:

Currently fleeing from a small army of angry gun toting peasants. If this doesn't give me tutorial immunity i'm assuming this is going to be a quick run through the game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:stonk:
Oh god right after this you stumble upon a human and feed out of instinct before your character realizes it's someone he knows: his sister!!

Opening is solid so far.

Yeah. Uh. You're a bit late to warn me there. But the effort is appreciated!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Oh my god. I just hit V and it turns out the main character has Witcher Vision. Only it highlights blood. :allears:

Edit: Also, apparently turning into a vampire gives you some sort of low grade ability to sprint through wooden objects like barrels like the juggernaut. That hunter thought he was safe on the other side of them. Noooope.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 6, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

FunkMonkey posted:

The fact that EVERY aspect of your perception dulls except your ability to detect blood is a really nice touch. The gameplay itself is clunky as hell, but there's no denying that they nail the aesthetic in this game.

Yeah. They definitely nailed the aesthetics. It highlights living people too. You've basically got some sort of hosed up predator vision that lets you instinctually size a person up to see if they're a good snack and what they're weak to in combat. You basically want it on when you're actually hunting something as opposed to doing more human stuff like investigating the scenery or trying to chat with people.

Not sure it highlights items too. Since I walked right by a few and didn't see anything.

Also, the first person I spoke too was the barmaid. Hearing him wig out about everything while she tried to repeatedly extricate herself from the conversation with the literally blood soaked man (with a bullet hole in his shirt dead smack in the middle of the blood) that came stumbling in off the streets in the dead of night was a nice touch that hammers home how hosed the situation is at that point.

Edit: Ahaha. "William is a good man! He was just taken by the thirst!" the priest says while surrounded by rotten skeletons, old human bones, and dozens of stacked and impaled corpses like something out of a cannibal horror film. Pretty sure vampirism as i've seen it so far doesn't turn you into a psychopathic killer. Either this guy is deluded to the point of insanity, he's a monster too, or he's dumb as hell. Regardless, taking him in is probably not going to end well.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 6, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

what is glass..... but tortured sand

What is juice but murdered fruit?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mulva posted:

Personally when the game fucks me mid-dialogue I just alt tab out and cancel the process. It doesn't save until the conversation is over. Free do-over bitch!

I'd just own it, myself. The game is clearly meant to be played multiple times in multiple different ways what with the way you can take quests in different directions and even botch them horribly.

Not spoilering this so people don't get taken off guard though. You can outright fail hints. Pembroke Hospital and it's denizens are not a good indication of how open less friendly characters are. You can see this literally right outside the hospital if you spare the gang leader early on. He'll be a patient, as much of a turbo-jackass as ever, and you can gently caress up the very first hint you get out of him which may or may not mess up a quest (That you would never receive if you gently caress up the hint.).

The fact that you can get different quests from playing out different hints different ways is fantastic and basically says they want you to replay this with different styles. Sort of like how you can build for a Bloodlines-esque Nosferatu build or just Tremere or Gangrel it up with blood or mutation based powers.

Also, another unspoilered thing: Before getting on the boat after beating your first boss check around a bit. You can pick up your first two handed weapon which is a scythe. The scythe is one of the first weapons you can get that actually lets you block attacks rather than just dodge them or race the enemy to get the first hit in. Which can be invaluable for harder fights since you can actually throw enemies off balance with it and get a free hit in. If you miss it you have to trek all the way across the city to get it. Which loving sucks given that monster hunters will be out in force.

Also, if you end up going to the morgue (There's a lot of buildings that look like they can be entered, and so far quests don't always take you there. This one can though.) be sure to search every room. Towards the end of it you can find one of the most ridiculously useful early game secondary weapons barring the enhanced stake from the fake vampire crazy lady. It's essentially a switchblade and lets you shank people Jack the Ripper style to steal blood with every hit. Combine that with the semi-hidden surgeon's hacksaw in the hospital and both will basically give you infinite blood so long as you know how to dodge properly. Which lets you spam self heals and powers constantly. Which lets you farm XP without killing civilians.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 6, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

buglord posted:

can this game scratch the Vampire Bloodlines itch? I played that for the atmosphere, story and characters. I don't really care about combat one way or another in this game, just as long as the rest of it is good?

Once you're past the intro and into the open world the game bombs you with like an hour+ of conversation and conspiracies between the various Pembroke staff and patients. And that's before you even start exploring the open world and finding other crazier stuff. It's damned atmospheric too. So yeah. I'd say it's basically Bloodlines-esque, right down to the slightly janky combat.

Edit: Also, a neat thing I discovered. You can avoid fights with monster hunters. If you run at them they assume you're a vampire hungry for blood. However if you hold the walk key down they'll usually (It seems to depend on how close you are when they see you and their rank in the order. Cadets won't even mess with you half the time if you're careful.) give you a verbal warning to back off instead of attacking. If you go any further then they freak out and attack. This lets you skip a lot of fights before getting stealth powers if you're careful.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 6, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I'm about 5 hours in and i'm wondering, has anyone found ways to raise a districts health status beyond healing everyone that are sick?
Running around getting crafting materials and playing whack a mole with peoples diseases is so terribly unfun and you can only ever raise it a little bit that way, but i also want to eat people. I was kinda hoping to find events/quests/things i could do that would raise it again, but nothing so far. It even decreases when you eat someone who is clearly a very poo poo person which i found pretty disappointing.

You can save people in little events that occur and that seems to help.

Sometimes killing people will actually save people down the line. Though this may effect the ending you get. Not sure yet.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

This game really does sound like This War of Mine, haha. Do citizens getting sick and turning into vampires etc. all happen in real-time, or only once you advance certain plot sequences?

Basically, instead of doing the whole "It's always night in the city and there's no real progression of time." thing that Bloodlines did you actually advance time when sleeping in a hideout or evolving new powers. Since the city is a plague ridden nightmare that's about as borderline livable as Bloodborne's city was prior to the PC showing up things tend to degrade over the day while you're trapped inside due to the sunlight being able to crisp you. Part of this is due to the fact that it's London circa WW1 and the spanish flu is rearing it's head. Aside from the spanish flu there's also a straight up vampiric zombie plague going around that will infect citizens if things go very poorly for a given district.

You can arrest both however by flipping open your district menu at the start of a night and seeing who is most in need of medical attention. You don't need to cure everyone and at the start unless you want to sneak around it might not even be possible. For instance in my game White Chapel (never a good place to be in this time period even in more mundane settings) has over the course of the tutorial become a nightmare almost ready to be overrun with Skal's in my game. The Priwen Guard are engaged in open conflict with them on the street to try and hold the zompire plague back. Even minor NPC's and citizens seem at least slightly aware of the vampires in that area as a result of that.

You can also persuade characters to do or outright just do some really stupid stuff that really screws things up too. Though given that sometimes you and the character don't know it's stupid at the time without researching the lore (this opens up new dialogues through hints and such) you might not know it. Like letting a priest start up a goddamn Skal/zompire cult out on the docks. Which may or may not be preventable given that i've found that holding off on certain quests gives new options. Though if he does it it basically dooms the docks to be completely overrun to the point where there's basically nothing but vampires in the place without a gently caress ton of focus on it over the course of a week or two to ensure it's well being.

From what i've seen so far the game is heavily choice dependent. Which is probably why it's programmed to autosave instead of let you manually save.

The game all but spells all of this out for you in the opening texts and a few lines in the tutorials what with the whole "Take responsibility for your actions." and "Only you can ruin this city with your bad decision making skills save the lives of the people in this city." messages it gives you right on the intro and at the end of the tutorial. Since you're basically the only doctor that gets to see both sides of the epidemic you're the only one that can actually put effort into fighting it at it's source.

Incidentally, i'm not sure if getting to sanitized effects story decisions. But i'm trying to do that prior to unleashing some of the more apocalyptic stuff on the city to see if it helps. I'm not sure if he was right or not, but a friend told me over Steam as things get worse and people start dying/getting infected the citizens get more aware of things going horrifically wrong in the city. Which leads some conversations going into new places. So i'm hoping that having a sanitized rating basically defeats the plague, despite how hard it is to achieve.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 7, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Oh my loving god. I think I just found a werewolf. Getting Bloodborne induced PTSD flashbacks.

Loving how if you keep your distance and use your wits you can avoid fighting with the Priwen Guard some of the time. After figuring out their patrol habits they mostly just go "It ain't safe for you here, sir!" and try to keep me from running into crazy poo poo like that by being mobile blood bags walling off dangerous monster infested areas.

Edit: OKAY YEAH THAT IS DEFINITELY A WEREWOLF. It's ripping through like a dozen of the Priwen Guard and appears to have vampiric shadow powers that let it teleport. It can almost sprint faster than I can too. :stonk:

You can see it just tearing apart two of the Guard in the background of this brawl. I guess this is why you don't want districts to get to serious status.

That lump on the ground is the rookie Priwen Guard member it just exsanguinated while his friend screamed in horror and proceeded to rush the thing with a scythe giant cross of all things. :black101:

The last screenshot was taken while it tackled the poor bastard with the scythe behind the fences. There was a lot of screaming and then things went silent as I booked it. None of that was pre-scripted too. Just the result of me luring the thing into the Guard members in the hopes they'd take it out.

Apparently the guy with the scythe (Which may actually either be a giant cross or is some sort of weird scythe cross. Couldn't tell due to the darkness and how chaotic the fight was with all three sides going at each other.) is named "Reverend Kane" and can use a cross to generate some sort of "The power of Christ compels you!" Salem's Lot-esque anti-monster field too. He just about crisped me when I got near. And that Skal did nooot make it. Guessing that the Reverend's name is a Poltergeist reference too.

TL;DR: This game is super atmospheric and should win an award for being the best unofficial Bloodborne prequel of the year.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 7, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Perestroika posted:

There are a few collectibles hinting that many monsters from supernatural folklore are real, and are in fact subtypes of the vampire genus. Werewolves are part of that, and harpies and some sort of Chinese beastie are also mentioned. Now I'm wondering just what might still be waiting down the line. :stare:

Yeah, i'm appreciating and am seriously amused that this game incorporated what looks like the True Faith power set from OWoD's Hunter on top of all sorts of other monsters. Up until I met that guy I thought that the cross stuff was bunk or a trick. Then he kamehameha's me and a nearby Skal about to devour him with freaking holy light out of nowhere and sent me skittering back into the darkness of the alleyway like a vampire actually would do.

Seriously wondering if we're going to run into a chinese hopping vampire or something down the line now too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 7, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

If there are characters like Jeanette and SIE ill buy the game right now

My impression is that it's a bit more subdued than Bloodlines so far. Bloodlines was the sort of game that started out with Jeanette giving you her best Harley Quinn impression and assumed that the basics of the setting were known. This does the opposite and seems to have more of a slow build to the interesting stuff being revealed. See my post at the top of the page as an example of what I mean.

Also, it takes place in a London that's literally rotting from the inside out instead of a modern setting with all the glitz, glam, and corruption you can find in WoD's version of cities. Though the further in I get and the more I explore the nooks and crannies the more I get the feeling that our character (being a newbie to being a vampire.) is basically just dipping his toes into the more Bloodlines-esque stuff. Especially with the discovery that there's apparently at least one or two different vampire groups (and for those that played Requiem you can get a Lancea et Sanctum group going too) dicking with each other to pass the time. Never mind Lady Ashbury the vampire nearly jumping to the conclusion that a vampire rival was screwing her over somehow due to some conversation options I took.

Given the fact that it's a fresh setting I can see how the slow burn is so helpful. It's something to note though. The game isn't as in your face with everything being hosed up. Even Pembroke Hospital has a lot of conspiracies and corruption going on that you can dig up if you dig around despite it's initial bland appearance when doing your introductions to everyone. Pretty much everyone there has some sort of secret they're keeping from most everyone else.

I'd say it's less like Redemption in that Redemption was largely a linear game as well. This game looks like someone looked at Bloodlines and thought that an open world with dynamic changes to it and branching decision trees that effected large numbers of people would be the logical progression from there. And they realized that the character interactions were some of the best parts of Bloodlines and added a ton of social stuff right out the gate.

I'm not even kidding on that list bit as well. It'll take you about 2 to 3 hours just to get through the initial conversations with the various people in the districts. Never mind the time needed to find them all. Some are hiding in some really out of the way places. Then you start to realize that talking to other people opens up new dialogue and ways to solve quests/interact with people. Then you stumble across an item in an out of the way place that changes things up too and you realize there's multiple ways to handle many quests. Some of which aren't even made known to you otherwise. The game's obviously built for replayability/dicking about to see what changes when you do ____ thing once you've beat it once.

On another note though, should we have a proper OP and thread for this game? I can't see it getting much attention with the current setup. I could look at drafting something if people think it should have one. My leg's broken, so I don't have much of anything to do otherwise.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 7, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

yeah i was talking about bloodlines

Someone else mentioned Redemption so I just folded it into my post. My bad.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh, I think I'm going to stick with that or the hacksaw then- blooding on normal hits sounds absurdly useful.

It's not that big an amount. To be honest, the Lissom Knife is better for it. Even at level common it can be giving like 15+ blood per hit. Alternatively, the Priwen Stake is amazing for stuns and abusing feeding in combat.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So I spent a ton of item faffing around and got to know the Docks and Whitechapel, and I gotta say, its really loving hard NOT munching on some civilian or two (trying to play a good guy).

So far I've found:

A suicidal man.

A gang leader.

The Gang leader's wife and her side piece, both of who've murdered people.

An alcoholic anarchist who accidentally murdered a couple people.

A GODDAMN SERIAL KILLER AND HIS LAIR!

Like I get that this game is trying to teach us to balance our humanity and such and it is very thematic about killing to be stronger and such and how killing worsens the districts, but is the game going to seriously tut-tut me for killing a AN UNREPENTANT SERIAL KILLER WHO FULLY PLANS ON KILLING AGAIN SINCE HE THINKS HUMANS ARE ANNOYING?!? and give me a bad ending? I mean seriously apart from like one person who might been bummed he dies his mom, but even then she knows he's a GODDAMN SERIAL KILLER, and is terrified of him, but won't turn him into the cops, I see no reason why it would be bad for me to dispatch this threat to the community.

Supposedly there's a number of endings. Total pacifist gives you the "best" one. Though given the details of it it might not be the best depending on what you think of certain key characters across the game.

Apparently you can kill in limited numbers and get at least a slightly decent ending. Though it doesn't refute the grim tone as much. Speaking from what i've seen (ending spoilers) Lady Ashbury is a conniving bitch who lies to herself about her compassion to keep living. So the idea of hooking up with her at the end and going off to search for a cure leaves me meh.

I do like how 45 minutes in you can literally quote Stoker and toss about the idea of making an army of darkness to overtake London. At which point Swansea freaks the gently caress out and appears to quietly decide to have you offed as soon as possible.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah Claws are pretty bad, I like having both bloodspear and either shadowmine or an upgraded leap. Having one of each damage type is very useful, those resistances aren't kidding.

Claws are good as a combo ender. You go through a combo and then deploy claws at the end.

It's not a "pop it periodically" power. It's best used as a finisher move since during it's usage stamina will regen while everyone it hits gets knocked back giving you room to maneuver and keep beating the poo poo out of anything stupid enough to get close to you. On some mobs using it as a finisher for basic melee attacks pretty much instakills the mob too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 8, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

So, reading this thread convinced me to buy the game and I have enjoyed it so far, just got to the Hospital. Is there anything I should know that is easy to miss? And can I get back to the bar at the docks to help/eat people?

Everywhere is available to travel too except for the far nicer West End. That'll unlock later. You can even go back to the rail bridge.

Be aware that places like the Morgue function as dungeons of sorts. Every night they respawn with new mobs and encounters even after being cleared if they're related to a quest or story. Meaning you can farm them for rare ingredients. Though be aware that the repeat versions tend to be somewhat harder from what i've seen. This is useful early on to get enough meds to actually treat people without having to stalk the streets looking for Skals that can be beaten.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 8, 2018

Archonex
May 2, 2012

bewilderment posted:

When thinking "I am a vampire", my assumption when I see a dialogue option that says "[CHARM] You will forget about all this" is to have my character say "You'll forget about all this vampire stuff and vampire blackmail silliness" and not "You'll forget about running this unsanctioned hospital".

Like, there's zero reason my character wouldn't say the first part and very weird that the second part is what comes out instead.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, really all that part needs is to have it read something like [Mesmerize] instead of [Charm]. If I'd known the dude was going to try and mindfuck her I might have thought it over some more, but as it was I thought he would just sweet-talk her into dropping the whole thing.

It does have a neat little tie in though.

There's a note you can find that infers that the whole thing was one massive gently caress up. Albeit, it's a fairly clever one. It infers that inexperienced vamps can accidentally mind wipe the people they try to hypnotize either through poorly chosen words or just not knowing how to handle their powers. On top of that I doubt he literally wanted to destroy her only means of getting paid to survive the epidemic. Though that was what ends up happening if you go that route. Hell, she even gets Skal'd I think. It makes me wonder if the outcome would be different if you picked that up and read it first.

Still pissed there isn't an option to pal around with Mary. If anything needs a patch it's giving us the option to not kill her all over again. Hell, if you're going for a no-kill run she has no real reason to want to die, outside of being a vampire is clearly not her deal. Whereas if you've killed even one person via draining her reasoning is somewhat sound in that your previously noble reasons for persisting are tainted because you're a blood hungry murderer.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Has anyone just played through sucking everyone off? Does that effect the game in any way?

Generally, everyone has a really satisfied look on their faces whenever you see them.

To be serious there supposedly are a variety of endings, including one where every last bit of London turns into a Skal infested nightmare/basically the city from Bloodborne.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 21, 2018

• Locked thread