Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
The Islamic Republic of Iran at the 2018 FIFA World Cup - brought to you by Heineken 0.0%®: Full Flavour, No Sanctions, No Alcohol.

:d2a: تیم ملی فوتبال ایران :d2a:

Iran or Team Melli as many of us call them, the Princes of Persia if you will, is one of the most successful national teams in Asia with three Asian Cup championships (1968, 1972, and 1976).

Iran has qualified for the WC five times. They only have one win in the tournament proper, but it was against the Great Satan the united states of america. Death to America!

:d2a: Players Copy Paste

Stars
Sardar Azmoun can lay claim to be the best striker in Asia at the moment, while Reza Ghoochannejhad has been scoring goals for fun with Heerenveen in the Dutch top flight.
Stalwarts
Mehdi Taremi has his critics at home but the striker often pops up with a goal when needed. Veteran defender Jalal Hosseini has over a century of appearances and is still going strong.
Missing
Captain Javad Nekounam bowed out just before the qualification campaign started, while former Premier League midfielder Andranik Teymourian has not appeared this year.
Debuts
Aged 21, Saeid Ezatolahi is being hailed as the “Persian Pogba” and the Russian-based midfielder has all the attributes to become a real star.

Final 23-man squad –

:d2a: GOALKEEPERS

Alireza Beiranvand (Persepolis), Rashid Mazaheri (Zob Ahan), Amir Abedzadeh (Maritimo).

:d2a: DEFENDERS

Majid Hosseini (Esteghlal), Ramin Rezaeian (Ostende), Mohammad Reza Khanzadeh (Padideh), Morteza Pouraliganji (Alsaad), Pejman Montazeri (Esteghlal), Milad Mohammadi (Akhmat Grozny), Roozbeh Cheshmi (Esteghlal).

:d2a: MIDFIELD

Saeid Ezatolahi (Amkar Perm), Masoud Shojaei (AEK Athens), Mehdi Torabi (Saipa), Omid Ebrahimi (Esteghlal), Ehsan Haji Safi (Olympiacos), Karim Ansarifard (Olympiacos), Vahid Amiri (Persepolis).

:d2a: FORWARDS

Alireza Jahanbakhsh (AZ Alkmaar), Mehdi Taremi (Al Gharafa), Sardar Azmoun (Rubin Kazan), Reza Ghoochannejhad (Heerenveen), Saman Ghoddos (Ostersunds), Ashkan Dejagah (Nottingham Forest).

:d2a: Manager

Handsome man Carlos Queiroz

:d2a: Qualification lol

:d2a: Preparations

:d2a: Matches

:d2a: Prospects

Going into the tournament, Teheran will want to neutralize Riyadh swiftly.

Iran has the larger military, with two forces — the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and the Artesh regular military.

The Saudi military is smaller but better armed. Saudi Arabia’s primary military land, air, naval, and missile forces fall under the command of its Ministry of Defense. Combined with auxiliary forces in the Saudi Arabian National Guard, Royal Guard, and the Ministry of Interior’s border defense force, the Saudi military is estimated to have around 250,000 active-duty personnel.

Much of Iran’s military know-how was developed during the nearly eight-year Iran-Iraq War, where it fought against a technologically superior adversary with far greater international backing. If the Iran-Iraq War taught Iran’s armed forces how to survive and make limited gains through asymmetrical tactics, the post-2011 experience of the IRGC and its client allies (such as Lebanese Hezbollah and various Iraqi militias) in the Syrian, Iraqi, and Yemeni conflicts has helped it develop further in terms of command and control, integrated operations, and ground offenses.

Iran will also rely heavily on the fact that Ali was Muhammad(pbuh)’s true successor.

:d2a: http://www.newsweek.com/death-america-emoji-featured-new-app-promoted-iranian-government-900289 :d2a:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:d2a:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol that they poo poo all over south korea even in qualifying

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

lol that they poo poo all over south korea even in qualifying

only the Brave Lion Assad managed to bring some points back from Teheran

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I'm pulling for the Iran rions because one of their defenders has the same last name as a friend of mine from back in the day when Ronald Reagan was president and Jerry Lewis did telethons. He changed it to Montez so he wouldn't be getting in so many bar fights. I told him that was a lateral move at best, but w/e.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Pretty impressive that Iran won three consecutive Asian Cups back in the day, any relevant players in those squads? Internationally I mean.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Mystic Stylez posted:

Pretty impressive that Iran won three consecutive Asian Cups back in the day, any relevant players in those squads? Internationally I mean.

the shah probably, idk

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Iraj Danaeifard scored their first WC goal ever in the 1978 Argentina tournament. I'm assuming without checking he was on the 1976 squad*. He later emigrated to the U.S. to play for the Tulsa Roughnecks of the original and best U.S. pro soccer league NASL. I think he's still a local celebrity in Tulsa and had an influence in starting the youth soccer program there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraj_Danaeifard

*edit- he was not on that side, being first invited to the national side in 1977.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
how loving bad must china be if syria managed to finish ahead of them while getting bombed by every major army

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Alireza Jahanbaksh is a cool and friendly lad who was KPN Eredivisie top scorer this past season, OP. Right up there with Afonso Alves and Mateja Kezman IMO.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Great OP, OP

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

poty posted:

how loving bad must china be if syria managed to finish ahead of them while getting bombed by every major army

syria very very nearly qualified instead of australia, they surprisingly dont suck that bad

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I've literally only just worked out what pbuh stands for.

Was very much hoping for an Iran vs USA match but they didn't qualify (lol)

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
syria at the world cup would have been a cool thing for the people of syria and instead we get the loving socceroos

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bogan Krkic posted:

syria very very nearly qualified instead of australia, they surprisingly dont suck that bad

Qatar definitely sucks that bad tho

Ugh

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Qatar only have one good player, but he's actually Uruguayan and will be 38 by the next world cup lmao. They're gonna have to naturalise some more players asap

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

i will be supporting these guys in their games against morocco and the little iberian satans

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

poty posted:

Funny thing about war ravaging the country and the footy players stepping up their game a la Iraq at the Messi Olympics and nearly qualifying for that WC.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
As probably the only ethnically Persian person in this thread I hope this team loses horribly. Thanks.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

what the gently caress!!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

more like:

also big persian titties

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

one of my favorite 2014 wc moments was watching argentina-iran in a bar full of iranians and seeing messi crush their hopes in real time

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
roorting for these dudes

that dude that playing in the dutch league is actually really good and owns and i might even have a mancrush on him

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

oh they are in the same group as portugal and spain?

awwh

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Iran is the official C-Spam team in the 2018 Coca Cola FIFA World Cup

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
سلام friends! :d2a:

Today at 17.00 CET, 19.30 IRDT Team Melli will face Lithuania for their final match before they go up against Morocco in St. Petersburg.

Let's hope for a good one. Or whatever, it's an international friendly lol. Death to America! :d2a:

خداحافظ

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FUTBOL

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

punchymcpunch posted:

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FUTBOL

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
:rip: the one good unbeliever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysYGCtGYGdc

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
1-0 win against lithuania is halal

https://twitter.com/goalsandgirls/status/1005132412320473089

anita is haram

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

I enjoyed both the result and the turn-offs in her profile, great tweet

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

also sad that my country is not playing

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

my country is playing but theyre gonna be poo poo

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

oh maybe not, we sacked our coach and hired a temp for the next month until the real next coach comes in so we're probably gonna do really really well

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1006149856908468224

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth