Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I love all seafood, particularly shrimp and crab and lobster. Apparently the stuff we get here isn't nearly as good as what you get on the coast (being that I'm nowhere near an ocean). A couple newfies that have served me in grocery stores waste no time in telling me that the lobster I'm buying is total garbage compared to what they get back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
I want some Moreton Bay Bugs. So hard to find in seafood markets.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone ever had Conch down in key west? Not a fan.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Beefeater posted:

I love all seafood, particularly shrimp and crab and lobster. Apparently the stuff we get here isn't nearly as good as what you get on the coast (being that I'm nowhere near an ocean). A couple newfies that have served me in grocery stores waste no time in telling me that the lobster I'm buying is total garbage compared to what they get back home.

I was in Maine last year and live lobster was cheaper per pound than ground beef.

Sea food is good food.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i love sea food it is delicious yumm!!!! (:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn’t there a whole sustainability thing with cold water lobsters now? Like really bad.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Lobster? Barely knew her!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You should all have a red seafood chowder. Tomato based with fish, shrimp, scallops, clams, and mussels. Throw some onions and potatoes in there and a bunch of freshly ground pepper, fuuuuuuck.

E: don't do squid or octopus though it'll overcook and be rubbery af

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I was in Maine last year and live lobster was cheaper per pound than ground beef.

Sea food is good food.

People mistake Maine lobster as being higher quality than other eastern seaboard lobsters. They aren't, they're the same as any other lobster from anywhere else on the coast. People say "Oh they just taste so much fresher" but that's bullshit too, as long as they're alive right before you cook them they're about as fresh as you can get.

What makes them so much better in Maine is that you can afford to eat lobster until you're loving sick of it. You can spend $30 and feed 2 people nothing but lobster meat for dinner and not even bother with side dishes.

I always think it's funny when people go to restaurants in touristy areas in Maine and order lobster; you could have had it at home for that price. Go off the beaten path a bit and pay what the locals pay, that's the champ way. Don't do it the chump way and pay $25 for a friggin lobster roll on a wonderbread bun with a handful of fries.

Also: fried wholebelly clams. Those are the best things.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lobster rolls are legit good tho

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

reminds me i have some halibut in my freezer

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

reminds me i have some halibut in my freezer

Make a red chowder dude, poo poo loving owns.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

You should all have a red seafood chowder. Tomato based with fish, shrimp, scallops, clams, and mussels. Throw some onions and potatoes in there and a bunch of freshly ground pepper, fuuuuuuck.

E: don't do squid or octopus though it'll overcook and be rubbery af

Make a red chowder dude, poo poo loving owns.

this is dangerously close to an endorsement of manhattan clam chowder, you’re treading on thin ice buddy

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm on a seafood diet, i see food and i eat it, as long as it's seafood (joke stolen from scotty auks)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
u guys think if like if some guy who has AIDS pounded off into a lobster tank a whole bunch and the lobsters were like swimming in his c*m and stuff like if you ate one of the lobsters that youd get AIDS too

asking for a friend

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

this is dangerously close to an endorsement of manhattan clam chowder, you’re treading on thin ice buddy

If your chowder has only clams in it you're short changing yourself. Stick a bunch fish and shrimp and scallops and poo poo in there too.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Nooner posted:

u guys think if like if some guy who has AIDS pounded off into a lobster tank a whole bunch and the lobsters were like swimming in his c*m and stuff like if you ate one of the lobsters that youd get AIDS too

asking for a friend

im calling animal protective services on u, i swear to god if they find out those little turtles are hiv + there will be hell to pay nooner

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Tumble posted:

What makes them so much better in Maine is that you can afford to eat lobster until you're loving sick of it.

I always think it's funny when people go to restaurants in touristy areas in Maine and order lobster; you could have had it at home for that price. Go off the beaten path a bit and pay what the locals pay, that's the champ way. Don't do it the chump way and pay $25 for a friggin lobster roll on a wonderbread bun with a handful of fries.

Yes, very much so. Also they sell all of the hugest lobsters to tourists for stupid money, but that's a chump move. The meat isn't as good, and you generally pay more for it. 1-1.5 lbs per bug is what you want.

free hubcaps posted:

Manhattan should not be considered a chowder, but a delicious tomato-clam stew. Homemade Manhattan clam chowder with razor clams you dug yourself is wonderful. :colbert:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
chuppeeno

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Going to Nova Scotia soon you better believe I'll be eating seafood. I had the best goddamn chowder when I was there last time and I will attempt to top that.
A fresh Digby scallop is a beautiful thing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

shouldnt really use halibut for a soup tho

seafood soups are really good though

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Yes, very much so. Also they sell all of the hugest lobsters to tourists for stupid money, but that's a chump move. The meat isn't as good, and you generally pay more for it. 1-1.5 lbs per bug is what you want.

Manhattan should not be considered a chowder, but a delicious tomato-clam stew. Homemade Manhattan clam chowder with razor clams you dug yourself is wonderful. :colbert:

That's a myth, bigger lobsters are just more prone to overcooking.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Honestly I don't give much of a poo poo what you call a given soup. I just don't like really creamy soups so I generally prefer the the red tomato based varieties when it comes to seafood.

Even with non-seafood soups I prefer ones based around a good stock rather than some creamy bullshit.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Honestly I don't give much of a poo poo what you call a given soup. I just don't like really creamy soups so I generally prefer the the red tomato based varieties when it comes to seafood.

you might even say theres bigger fish to fry

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

you might even say theres bigger fish to fry

Oh-ho, you card you!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this poo poo tho https://thewoksoflife.com/2017/02/sichuan-boiled-fish-shui-zhu-yu/

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
my friend gave me some salmon jerky the other day and it is loving god-tier

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Tumble posted:

That's a myth, bigger lobsters are just more prone to overcooking.

I'll take your word for that, but I maintain that buying lobsters over two pounds apiece is a chump move to fleece people who don't know better.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

that looks so f*cking good

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

my friend gave me some salmon jerky the other day and it is loving god-tier

:getin:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wanna eat dat fish

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

my only mission for today is find and eat some pickled herring

maybe have a beer too because fish gotta swim!!!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

that looks so f*cking good

I'm craving it now as well & will make some soon

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

I'll take your word for that, but I maintain that buying lobsters over two pounds apiece is a chump move to fleece people who don't know better.

well yea they charge a lot more per pound so it's still a chump purchase made by people who don't know how to stuff themselves stupid with lobster

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

PhantomPayne posted:

lol

also everyone knows the best sea food is sardines if u dont believe me ask all the cool duders in the sardines thread (who may or may not all be 40 year old dads that eat sardines over the sink like our lord Sardinephomet intended (praised be the holy sardines))

Any food eaten over the sink gets 1000 times better. Be it sardines, sprats, herring, or mackerel. Pickled or not. The best fish is eaten out of a can or jar and over the sink.

The richies can eat all the fresh fish they want. We plebs are happy with the canned stuff.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
There's a seafood buffet as part of a resort on the beach near me, sometimes I go there to stuff my face. $36.99 means I always get my money's worth

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

mostlygray posted:

Any food eaten over the sink gets 1000 times better. Be it sardines, sprats, herring, or mackerel. Pickled or not. The best fish is eaten out of a can or jar and over the sink.

The richies can eat all the fresh fish they want. We plebs are happy with the canned stuff.

I can get behind people enjoying canned fish man but trying to claim that it's the best form of fish eating is pretty laughable. Like I'd be willing to bet that fresh sardines that you grilled with some great seasonings will beat the poo poo out of anything out of a can, even if the canned fish is good.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You do not need to be rich to catch a fish, cook that fish, and eat that fish. You do not have to spend $20+/lb on halibut fillets at the store; most fish is cheaper than beef. It is foolish and wrong to think that you have to be rich to eat fresh seafood.

... and this is coming from a goon with an entire cabinet full of canned fish, come on now.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dines are the best of the canned meats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

poverty goat posted:

dines are the best of the canned meats

I bet they're inferior to the fresh dines I've seen goons grill up in the dine thread tho.

• Locked thread