Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
trying to integrate their api to any useful extent in an iOS app is practically useless at this point. it's true that adding facebook functionality to your app would only benefit them, but they no longer need to rely on these benefits. like google, they are "riding the wave" without needing to put anymore effort into fixing what is broken, because hey, they are extremely rich and the most relevant thing on earth, and nothing stands in their way

this has been on the top of their developer site for at least a year:

every once in a while, they might add a new feature, but it's a drop in the bucket. other than that, most developers there do NOTHING except collect the money and wait to be let go. the only thing that might count as their job is support on the FB API, but even with this they only occasionally respond in the least helpful way (because they are idiots that know nothing) to pretend they're working. everything else is outsourced, and most of it is maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
their busy riding their bicycles op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Facebook bad

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
didnt they run a test a gfew years back where they made the app shittier and shittier to see how bad it wouldget before people stopped using it and they literally could not find that threshhold

lke they literallt made the app actual human feces and people still put it in their literal mouths

pram
Jun 10, 2001

OldAlias posted:

Facebook bad

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

trying to integrate their api to any useful extent in an iOS app is practically useless at this point.

get a fuckin life instead

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

why the gently caress are you integrating facebook into your app

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

refleks posted:

because any way you can get people to use it, and spread your watermarked image on social media will get more people curious what it is and look it up and download the app. the graph api lets you gain more insight about what kinds of people they are, and how they’re using it

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

because any way you can get people to use it, and spread your watermarked image on social media will get more people curious what it is and look it up and download the app. the graph api lets you gain more insight about what kinds of people they are, and how they’re using it

arh cool cool cool - you wanna manipulate people into doing things they dont want to...

pram
Jun 10, 2001

refleks posted:

hes trying to brag about being a 'developer'

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what is a facebook

(a misrable little pile of updates)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

refleks posted:

arh cool cool cool - you wanna manipulate people into doing things they dont want to...

sorta, but how am i manipulating them if they choose to?

George
Nov 27, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

sorta, but how am i manipulating them if they choose to?

source

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

everything else is outsourced, and most of it is maintenance
welcome to silicon valley

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

i’m simply observing how they are using the app so i can get numbers on the amount of people posting to facebook & instagram, and what type of media, whether it’s photos, videos of gifs

George
Nov 27, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i’m simply observing how they are using the app so i can get numbers on the amount of people posting to facebook & instagram, and what type of media, whether it’s photos, videos of gifs

if facebook isnt working for you right now you could try making your own service that does the things you need

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

George posted:

if facebook isnt working for you right now you could try making your own service that does the things you need

good point, but then the people using the app would need to agree to it, and a lot of people would be apprehensive. it could also be a problem to facebook’s or apple’s guidelines

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

on the one hand facebook is poo poo but on the other you're app is probably also poo poo if you're integrating with them

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gazpacho posted:

welcome to silicon valley

/taps mic

*ahem*

Silly oval office Valley

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

refleks posted:

Don't post my dating strategy.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

that’s really creepy OP

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

remember when those goons from fb came to yospos to defend literal psychological experimentation without oversight or consent? good times.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i wouldn’t be getting any information about people individually, only how many people are using facebook and instagram, and what filetypes they share. it also asks for permission about what information is going to be shared just like any other app

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

take up cooking instead op

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

remember when those goons from fb came to yospos to defend literal psychological experimentation without oversight or consent? good times.

i member

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

nobody working at Facebook is old enough to be posting on these forums, dead and gay.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
it was zuckerberg, then.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i wouldn’t be getting any information about people individually, only how many people are using facebook and instagram, and what filetypes they share. it also asks for permission about what information is going to be shared just like any other app

Is the request going to be in plain English and make it clear to users what information they'll be sharing and what you're going to do with it so that user can make an informed decision on whether to consent or not?

Are they allowed to not consent?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

an elegant neck

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
have you ever seen a neck more perfectly suited for a guillotine?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

dads friend steve posted:

Is the request going to be in plain English and make it clear to users what information they'll be sharing and what you're going to do with it so that user can make an informed decision on whether to consent or not?

Are they allowed to not consent?

yes and yes. also fb has guidelines for it, and you need to submit your app to them as well as apple

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

yes and yes. also fb has guidelines for it, and you need to submit your app to them as well as apple

i retract all my previous statements - both mark and timb are checking it out

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

George posted:

didnt they run a test a gfew years back where they made the app shittier and shittier to see how bad it wouldget before people stopped using it and they literally could not find that threshhold

lke they literallt made the app actual human feces and people still put it in their literal mouths

it rules if you've got the user base locked in, unless you literally have a week long service outage nobody can be arsed to switch to superior but unestablished alternatives

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fiedler posted:

have you ever seen a neck more perfectly suited for a guillotine?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

good point, but then the people using the app would need to agree to it, and a lot of people would be apprehensive.

"app"rehensive bet that would spice up a powerpoint nicely. Just when the audience is getting bored you hit em with it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

carry on then posted:

some of them are still here and are still bending over backwards to defend facebook

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

suck my woke dick posted:

it rules if you've got the user base locked in, unless you literally have a week long service outage nobody can be arsed to switch to superior but unestablished alternatives

i want to suck your woke dick

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Rex-Goliath posted:

some of them are still here and are still bending over backwards to defend facebook

nice work if you can get it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

carry on then posted:

one of them posts in cspam now

Subjunctive posted:

dude, I’ve played Civ. modern engineering can create farmland in downtown Vancouver if we want it badly enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
he moved back to toronto to do vc stuff and is on leave for his sadbrains. i wish him well for getting outta dodge.

• Locked thread