Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just to clarify, I'm not nominating Matt Patricia for being an alleged rapist, which is a crime well beyond the limits of douchedom.

Now lying on a resume about being an alleged rapist, that's a major act of douchebaggery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just to clarify, I'm not nominating Matt Patricia for being an alleged rapist, which is a crime well beyond the limits of douchedom.

Now lying on a resume about being an alleged rapist, that's a major act of douchebaggery.

i'm not sure you've ever seen a resume

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raku posted:

i'm not sure you've ever seen a resume

You know what I meant.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If we're down to nominating things like God, can I nominated ALS? It killed Dwight Clark after all.
That'd be on God, right?

quote:

Also Matt Patricia for not disclosing being an (alleged) fratboy douchebag rapist.

I'll allow it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Can we nominate Jim Irsay for leading Colts fans on that Andrew Luck will be healthy?

Corporate douchebaggery is one of the worst types.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 13, 2018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Can we nominate Jim Irsay for leading Colts fans on that Andrew Luck will be healthy?

Yep, it was overshadowed by a lot of other things (justifiably imo) but dude sold season tickets on the promise that a guy with a dead arm would be back, and pushed off telling the truth (he wouldn't be back) until a month before the season was done

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

CyberPingu posted:

Corporate douchebaggery is one of the worst types.

Seconing Irsay.

I want to nominate Jeff Triplette, NFL ref. Not for one thing in particular but the fucker retired, and I think he was one of the worst refs of all time. It would be a shame he left without a chance to be a douche.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I want to nominate Jeff Triplette, NFL ref. Not for one thing in particular but the fucker retired, and I think he was one of the worst refs of all time. It would be a shame he left without a chance to be a douche.

Do you want to put him in for a lifetime award? Or do you think we can come up with at least one example of bad ref douchebaggery from the last year?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Leperflesh posted:

Do you want to put him in for a lifetime award? Or do you think we can come up with at least one example of bad ref douchebaggery from the last year?

Was he the ref on that Steelers catch?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Here's arguably his worst calls:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/9497...49%2Fframe.html

https://twitter.com/SakSports/statu...49%2Fframe.html

Playoff game, blatant strip sack. He calls Mariota down both times.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He plainly cannot see the strip on the first call, but should not have stopped the play if he didn't see it.

In the second one I'm thinking the ruling is forward progress/the play is over and the QB counts as down, before the ball comes out? Seems like a lovely ruling but I'm not sure on exactly what the rulebook says about that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

He plainly cannot see the strip on the first call, but should not have stopped the play if he didn't see it.

In the second one I'm thinking the ruling is forward progress/the play is over and the QB counts as down, before the ball comes out? Seems like a lovely ruling but I'm not sure on exactly what the rulebook says about that.

The rulebook says he's a lovely ref.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I think bringing subjective ref calls into this is a bit dodgy, as there is no evidence to say that he did it intentionally.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
if people don't want to put him in, that's fine. I was mainly looking for other candidates to put in since we don't have a lot, and regardless of how you feel about those two plays I think we can all agree that he was a pretty terrible referee throughout his career.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

seiferguy posted:

if people don't want to put him in, that's fine. I was mainly looking for other candidates to put in since we don't have a lot, and regardless of how you feel about those two plays I think we can all agree that he was a pretty terrible referee throughout his career.

I was hoping he was the bottlegate guy, but he isn't.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'll second Jeff Triplette if it moves things along.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Hall of Fame for marvin harrison shooting somebody with a witness and getting away with it, then hiring somebody to kill that person he shot, and getting away with it. he kept on showing up at shootings later and may have been involved in Doing them, i don't know. On November 17, 2002, made his 600th career reception against the Dallas Cowboys

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Hall of Fame for marvin harrison shooting somebody with a witness and getting away with it, then hiring somebody to kill that person he shot, and getting away with it. he kept on showing up at shootings later and may have been involved in Doing them, i don't know. On November 17, 2002, made his 600th career reception against the Dallas Cowboys

Congrats, you did it!

Harrison was not convicted, but my read of his Wikipedia page suggests reasonable people could believe he did those things, so he's eligible.

Here are the current nominations. I'll give you guys a handful of hours today to do any more seconding you want to do, and then we'll move forward.

For Douchebag of the Year:
pre:
Nominee						Team/Org		Seconds
Jerry Richardson				Carolina Panthers	4
Bob McNair					Houston Texans		4
Rob Gronkowski					New England Patriots	3
Jason Whitlock					Fox Sports		3
Pete Carroll					Seattle Seahawks	2
Tom Brady					New England Patriots	2
Ben Macadoo					New York Giants		1
Toni Grossi					ESPN			1
Cops who interacted with Michael Bennett	Team USA		1
Santa Clara DA Kevin Smith			Santa Clara, CA		1
ESPN						Disney			1
Matt Patricia					Detroit Lions		1
Jim Irsay					Indianapolis Colts	1
Jeff Triplette					NFL			1
University of Montana				U of M			0	
The NFL Owners					The NFL			0	
University of Tennessee				UT			0	
Hue Jackson					Cleveland Browns	0	
Jerry Jones					Dallas Cowboys		0	
Clay Travis					Fox Sports?		0
And for hall of fame:
pre:
Nominee				Team/Org		Seconds
President Donald Trump		Republican Party	6
Jason Whitlock			Fox Sports		2
God				The abrahamic religions	1
Marvin Harrison			Ind. Colts (ret)	0

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I suspected that, if convicted of such deeds In a court of law, it may be tough to Find marvin harrison worthy of a nomination

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well we just don't consider crimes for which a person was convicted as eligible. I didn't make that rule, blame the previous guy.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'd like to nominate That one dude from the goon fish bowl who took almost all 12 allotted hours to make the first of two back-to-back picks, then got a new clock for his second pick and timed out.

Or, possibly, me, for allowing that to happen

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 15, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I have decided To second That one dude from the goon fish bowl who took almost all 12 allotted hours to make the first of two back-to-back picks, then got a new clock for his second pick and timed out. and me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'd like to nominate That one dude from the goon fish bowl who took almost all 12 allotted hours to make the first of two back-to-back picks, then got a new clock for his second pick and timed out.

Or, possibly, me, for allowing that to happen

Was it a goon, or one of the non-goon participants? This is important.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Non goon. Friend of a friend I'd never met. I think his team name was The Gambino Family

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Then I guess he or she is eligible!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I feel like I need to nominate Eagles fans just so everybody can yell get over it and not vote for them.

Behavior: Defending throwing stuff at other fans, tearing seats out of the stadium, etc.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's just throwing names in now but I'd nominate Cris Collinsworth for really making it seem like he was biased while announcing the Super Bowl.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bobjr posted:

It's just throwing names in now but I'd nominate Cris Collinsworth for really making it seem like he was biased while announcing the Super Bowl.

gently caress it, i'll second Cris Collinsworth just because it'll be fun to talk poo poo about him, which is the real fun in these threads.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Jerry Jones isn't seconded, yet? Really? I thought he was given every year. Well, as a flip-flopper desperately trying to appease both sides of the Anthem Kneeling debate and failing miserably at both, he is a massive douche.

I would also like to nominate the Los Angeles Chargers organization for charging the highest prices for parking in the shittiest arena in the league playing in a city where no one wants them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Seconding Eagles Fans, Jerry Jones, NFL Owners, Cris Collinsworth, and Clay Travis.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Nominating Vikings Fans for being a bunch of babies after the NFCCG and stopping Eagles players and fans from eating in restaurants around the city and other petty things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CyberPingu posted:

Nominating Vikings Fans for being a bunch of babies after the NFCCG and stopping Eagles players and fans from eating in restaurants around the city and other petty things.

I second Vikings Fans.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
If we nominate NFL Owners as a whole while still nominating individual owners, are we basically repeating last year with the Cincinnati Bengals???

I am generally against nominations for groups unless the individuals are faceless and unimportant (Vikings Fans) or their douchiness as a group is especially egregious compared to what they could do alone.

People like Jerry Jones and Jerry Richardson can stand alone in their individual douchiness.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Are the Michigan State Board of Trustees eligible? Considering they handled a sex scandal even worse than Baylor.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Who was that ref that was totally smiling and congratulating the Patriots after an important touchdown. IIRC, it was against the Jags in the AFCC

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

korrandark posted:

Are the Michigan State Board of Trustees eligible? Considering they handled a sex scandal even worse than Baylor.

That was almost entirely focused on the gymnastics side of things. Not that I don't want to burn down my university right now, but it's not really a football issue, per se.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Bills' Leadership, especially Sean McDermott, coach of the Bills, for aggressively trying to gently caress over their upcoming QB and veteran center.

Basically, Bills brass made a fuss about not wanting to pay Tyrod Taylor even though he was having a great year. Coach looked for any reason to bench or IR Tyrod in order to make him miss incentives and, of course, decided to pull him despite him having a record year. McDermott started Nathan Peterman, who went to throw 5 INT in his first half played. It was terrible and super transparent.

Bills put Tyrod back at starter and decided to overutilize Tyrod, forcing him to take bigger risks which culminated in Tyrod getting injured. All mishandling of their competent QB stuck the team with a poo poo playoff seed (somehow) shere they were not physically ready to face the Jags. Tyrod got injured, again, trying to lead a comeback.

Knowing Tyrod deserved to get paid, the Bills did the opposite - TT got traded to the Browns...

Meanwhile, their historic center Eric Wood was diagnosed with a career ending injury. Wood wasset to retire until the Bills notified him that they would attempt to reclaim part of his extension bonus if he retired. Wood had to cancel his retirement until the details became public, and only then did management decide that the PR hit wasn't worth a few mil in cap space.

Oh yeah, the Bills' president had to resign for misconduct. Note that the Tyrod trade took place after he left, so that was more of a GM/coach thing, but still.

Also, seconding the following:
Trump
Jerry Jones
Texans Owner
Panthers Owner
Pete Carroll
Jed York
Vontaze Burfict

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I will second Bills' Leadership, Tyrod deserved way better than what he got in Buffalo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Well since Jed York has been seconded I guess I'd better nominate him for being Jed York and possibly giving Niners fans false hope by trading for Jimmy G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry guys I got distracted.

korrandark posted:

Did they do anything related to football? I'm not familiar with the issue.

Zurreco posted:

Also, seconding the following:

Jed York
Vontaze Burfict

Neither of these guys have been nominated,

although

Well since Jed York has been seconded I guess I'd better nominate him for being Jed York and possibly giving Niners fans false hope by trading for Jimmy G.

I'll go ahead and retroactively second it.

Shiki Dan posted:

If we nominate NFL Owners as a whole while still nominating individual owners, are we basically repeating last year with the Cincinnati Bengals???

I am generally against nominations for groups unless the individuals are faceless and unimportant (Vikings Fans) or their douchiness as a group is especially egregious compared to what they could do alone.

People like Jerry Jones and Jerry Richardson can stand alone in their individual douchiness.

I'm allowing it mostly because the owners also make decisions as a group via voting under circumstances where we usually don't know exactly what each individual owner's role was. Although it would be weird for the NFL Owners as a group to get matched up against a specific owner.

Right now I could cut off qualification for DotY at 2+ seconds and have 8 entries, or at 1+ seconds and have 23 entries. The NFL Owners has one second, while most of the nominated owners have more or fewer, so it may just work out regardless but if it doesn't, I'll make a decision about it.

• Locked thread