Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

Did they do anything related to football? I'm not familiar with the issue.

The football and basketball teams were roped into it by ESPN due to some allegations from years ago trying to make a story out of 'does MSU have an overarching sexual assault problem?' (yeah, probably unfortunately). They're 100% assholes and I want to get rid of every member of the board, but it was definitely not a football-centric thing, everything they've done has been re: the Larry Nassar situation, which was gymnastics. For the purposes of this thread I'd leave it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I nominate Kellen Winslow Jr. for old lady raping.

I second Cris Collinsworth for possibly doing the exact same thing and being bland.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pasaluki posted:

I nominate Kellen Winslow Jr. for old lady raping.

Nope. We're not gonna touch that one. Serious rape crimes is not something we want to hash out in this fun thread. Fortunately it's also a trial-pending type thing, so I can overrule on that basis too.

Leperflesh posted:

#2: Douchebag
The nominee must be douchebaggy or have committed one or more acts of douchebaggery. Douchebaggery is broadly defined by the thread consensus via voting, so I prefer not to try to spell out too specifically what the term means. However, by consensus we typically exclude from consideration crimes for which there was a conviction in a court of law, anyone who has been charged with a crime for which trial is still pending, and anyone who engaged in severely gross behavior that we really need to avoid having some kind of terrible "debate" about, such as the Paterno/Sandusky thing. Please also recognize that we're doing this for fun and not to have a debate about for example what exactly constitutes consent for purposes of determining if a rape took place. That said, a certain amount of discussion about where to draw the line is OK, as long as it doesn't become a derail or start resulting in probations. If you're not sure, :justpost: and I'll make a ruling about it if it needs one.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Should they receive legitimate nominations (which is not the case for one of them so far) please combine the Bengals Vontaze Burfict and Cris Collinsworth.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

I'd like to nominate Tom Brady for generally being a turd and specifically making out with a clearly underage child. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_2NXe0_1g

Edit: And for not even trying to catch a pass in the Superbowl.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
For some reason I thought he had already won.

Seconding Tom Brady for mouth kissing his son.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Thirding Tom Brady because that poo poo is Not OK.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tom Brady was already nominated but I'll add you guys as seconds, except Vincent Van Goatse because he also already seconded Tom Brady.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

These are the nominees for douchebag of the year who have no seconds. We currently have 23 nominees who have at least one: if anyone would like to second any of these candidates, we'll get to 24 and I can close nominations and move on to the tournament brackets without having to gently caress around with byes as much.

University of Montana
University of Tennessee
Hue Jackson
LA Chargers Org

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Leperflesh posted:

These are the nominees for douchebag of the year who have no seconds. We currently have 23 nominees who have at least one: if anyone would like to second any of these candidates, we'll get to 24 and I can close nominations and move on to the tournament brackets without having to gently caress around with byes as much.

University of Montana
University of Tennessee
Hue Jackson
LA Chargers Org

I will second the LA Chargers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Excellent OK THE LINE IS DRAWN nominations for Douchebag of the Year are over, I'll work up the brackets and we can get on to the head to head rounds.

e. You can keep nominating for the Hall of Fame!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 18, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's the brackets, I can rearrange anyone based on same seeding so if there's some bad matchups in here, now's the time to say something.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I’m rooting for the NFL owners to go all the way.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

University of Montana
University of Tennessee
Hue Jackson
LA Chargers Org

Hell why not I’ll second UT

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Richardson is going to walk on this.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was gonna do this too but it looks like the bracket is set.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I’m rooting for the NFL owners to go all the way.

Joey Freshwater posted:

too late nerds

also weird, why did both of you use ’ (U+0092, character "PRIVATE USE 2") instead of ' (U+0027, "APOSTROPHE") as an apostrophe, that's a weird coincidence

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like NFL Owners v. Whitlock is a really tough first matchup; Jason definitely needs to get out of the first round if nothing else.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

too late nerds

also weird, why did both of you use ’ (U+0092, character "PRIVATE USE 2") instead of ' (U+0027, "APOSTROPHE") as an apostrophe, that's a weird coincidence

It’s an iPhone thing I think. Or Awful app maybe

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Leperflesh posted:

too late nerds

I’m posting from the Awful App on my iPhone. Maybe that’s it?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i nominate PRIVATE USE 2 for The hall of fame

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I feel like NFL Owners v. Whitlock is a really tough first matchup; Jason definitely needs to get out of the first round if nothing else.

Yeah, that's a good point.

How's this?

Android Apocalypse posted:

I’m posting from the Awful App on my iPhone. Maybe that’s it?

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s an iPhone thing I think. Or Awful app maybe

Yup both you guys are using it so I guess the common denominator is the app or the phone.

It's a bad choice. There's other curly apostrophe characters in more common use, if they just hate the actual apostrophe character. ( ’ ) U+2019 "RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK" is the best alternative.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

It's a bad choice. There's other curly apostrophe characters in more common use, if they just hate the actual apostrophe character. ( ’ ) U+2019 "RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK" is the best alternative.

Shut the gently caress up you loving nerd

I nominate Leperflesh for being such a dork

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 19, 2018

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Tom Brady was already nominated but I'll add you guys as seconds, except Vincent Van Goatse because he also already seconded Tom Brady.

Whoops!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Shut the gently caress up you loving nerd

I nominate Leperflesh for being such a dork

Second.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Seconding LA Chargers org for loving over Antonio Gates this offseason. The only silver lining is that now they have to go back on hands and loving knees to him now that Hunter Henry is out for the season.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol guys guys try and keep up

It's time for our first matchup!

JERRY RICHARDSON vs. JED YORK

Jerry Richardson

This man looks like a sack of poo poo in every single photo of him

Jerome Johnson Richardson Sr. (born July 18, 1936) is a former NFL player and the founder of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League.

FizFashizzle posted:

Jerry Richardson

For insisting on surrounding Cam Newton with a bunch of neanderthals stuck in the 1980s.

Also for serially sexually harassing female members of his organization since the team's founding, including these gems.

quote:

A. "The week before we play New England please do the following:
① manicure
② pedicure
③ facial
④ hair stuff
⑤ wear lip gloss
I want all of us to be at our best that week-end"

B. "④ If I could...I'd pamper you more. Rub your feet. Shave your legs. Put lotion on your body - etc, etc"

C. "④ you did not answer my questions – – Do you think of me as:
① your grandfather
② your second father
③ your second husband
④ your friend
⑤ your boyfriend
⑥ or something else –

I regret I have never been able to give you pleasure – "

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/26/carolina-panthers-owner-jerry-richardson-allegations-victim-letters

On December 17, 2017, Sports Illustrated reported that "at least four former Panthers employees have received ‘significant’ monetary settlements due to inappropriate workplace comments and conduct by owner Jerry Richardson, including sexually suggestive language and behavior, and on at least one occasion directing a racial slur at an African-American Panthers scout." According to the anonymous sources which were the basis for the article, Richardson asked women in the team offices to "turn around so he could admire their backsides" on Casual Friday, among other "disturbing" office behavior.[10]

On December 17, 2017, it was announced that Richardson intended to sell the Panthers franchise at the conclusion of the 2017 season. After great interest from the market, in May 2018 Richardson finalized a sale to billionaire and then Pittsburgh Steelers minority owner David Tepper for an NFL record sales price of 2.2 billion dollars. The deal was approved by NFL owners on May 22, 2018.

vs.

Jed York

<sad trombone>

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well since Jed York has been seconded I guess I'd better nominate him for being Jed York and possibly giving Niners fans false hope by trading for Jimmy G.
John Edward "Jed" York (born c. 1980) is an American sports executive who is the current CEO of the San Francisco 49ers NFL franchise. York is the son of Denise DeBartolo York and John York and nephew of former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward J. DeBartolo Jr.

He has made a lot of really stupid personnel choices in the past, including getting in to a feud with and subsequently firing the 49ers' all time best coach Jim Harbaugh, but none of that matters because this is just Douchebag of the Year. Also was he really the one who traded for Jimmy G? Because normally that's the domain of the GM. But gently caress it, he gets in anyway because it's inconcievable that Jed Fuckbag York hasn't done a bunch of douchebaggy things this past year.

OK, vote! Remember the voting rules, you get more points for effort and your vote doesn't count if all you do is emptyquote someone else.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Jerry Richardson since football decisions aren't much compared to a 1955 cartoon bloodhound whose eyes and tongue pop out 12 ft in front of his face when he sees a female employee so far down the ladder that he probably thinks they should feel indebted to daddy.

edit it's also the end for him on this thing

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 19, 2018

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Jerry Richardson should win it all. Jed York has been a cock in the past, but he's improved slightly and I support his positive growth.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Jed York

Jerry was a grody old man but it bit him in the rear end and he was forced to step down/sell his beloved franchise. He also didn't fight the allegations or anything, so he's less of a douche and more of a lecher (though I'm definitely not excusing what he did). He will take his money and live out the last of his life being known as a pervert.

Jed, however, is still taking every chance to sell out for Silicon Valley, all while telling his actual fanbase that they should be thankful for all that he does.

TLDR: Jed York decided to tank this season to spite Kaepernick and has tried to make himself look like a compassionate owner when he is just the tip of Jerry Jones' spear.

To summarize the non-personnel stuff, Levi's Stadium is still a hyper expensive deathtrap located hours away from their old stadium. York has publicly stated that he would rather have wifi available for people making business deals midgame than he would making PSLs more available. He also decided to confiscate land that was set aside as a childrens' soccer field because he wanted a helicopter landing area, FYI.

After spending last year trying his hardest to not to spend money as a means to support their best QB in a long time, York had the balls to tell Kaep that he could either quit or be fired. Kaep took the latter option in order to get a jump on FA and York spun it to make Kaep look like a greedy glory boy. It's been floated that York was also complicit in selling Kaep down the river over the whole kneeling shebang because it would help get some of the fan base to accept his leaving. York then spent most of FA promising Niners faithful that they would return to competency by investing in QB support, which they should have done the year before. They even grabbed Garcon at WR, which was great, but who would replace Kaep? The result... Brian Hoyer being picked up for $12m/2 years.

The Niners then went 0-5 to start the season and people started openly questioning why York was willing to spend on a receiving corps if they weren't going to keep with a decent QB. Kaep was still available and talking about taking a pay cut! York told them to kick rocks because he wasn't about to admit he was wrong. In game 6, Hoyer is so bad that he gets benched for CJ loving BEATHARD, a person whose own parents had never heard of him before. They lose that game and the next few, too.

NFL owners' meetings take place and the public begins to question whether Kaep has been blackballed when a loving nobody is starting for the team. York steps up to the plate to boldly claim "I don't think so." SF gets to 1-10 and their own players are openly questioning why York is not supporting the protests/why Kaep is not around/etc. York hears their concerns and... offers backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo a five year contract that had a higher AAV than what Kaep was asking for. That that trade worked out for SF is fine and dandy, but the message has been clear for a while - York didn't like Kaep and wouldn't change his tune about the issue.

Since then, not much has happened on that end. Kaep now has a collusion case against the NFL Owners and it looks like York is probably going to be defendant #1 if it gets that far. Shockingly, the other big protester from SF, Eric Reid, is also somehow without team and getting no attention in FA, which really makes you think. York "famously" abstained from an informal (non-)vote about whether the owners would want to enforce anthem rules, which is horseshit posturing and means nothing. He has been playing both sides of the debate the whole time and it's super obvious that he is trying to carry water for the older owners while still looking like he cares about black folks. Super petty.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jerry Richardson as it's not like Kaep was only being blackballed by the 49ers. Jerry created a gross work environment for everyone involved and finally being forced to cop to it, despite getting a billion+ dollars, still means he's been running his entire organization like a loving creep forever, affecting far more people that weren't even in situations like Kaeps where they were protesting, they were just coming in to keep their heads down and do their jobs.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Zurreco posted:

Jed York

Jerry was a grody old man but it bit him in the rear end and he was forced to step down/sell his beloved franchise. He also didn't fight the allegations or anything, so he's less of a douche and more of a lecher (though I'm definitely not excusing what he did). He will take his money and live out the last of his life being known as a pervert.

Jed, however, is still taking every chance to sell out for Silicon Valley, all while telling his actual fanbase that they should be thankful for all that he does.

TLDR: Jed York decided to tank this season to spite Kaepernick and has tried to make himself look like a compassionate owner when he is just the tip of Jerry Jones' spear.

To summarize the non-personnel stuff, Levi's Stadium is still a hyper expensive deathtrap located hours away from their old stadium. York has publicly stated that he would rather have wifi available for people making business deals midgame than he would making PSLs more available. He also decided to confiscate land that was set aside as a childrens' soccer field because he wanted a helicopter landing area, FYI.

After spending last year trying his hardest to not to spend money as a means to support their best QB in a long time, York had the balls to tell Kaep that he could either quit or be fired. Kaep took the latter option in order to get a jump on FA and York spun it to make Kaep look like a greedy glory boy. It's been floated that York was also complicit in selling Kaep down the river over the whole kneeling shebang because it would help get some of the fan base to accept his leaving. York then spent most of FA promising Niners faithful that they would return to competency by investing in QB support, which they should have done the year before. They even grabbed Garcon at WR, which was great, but who would replace Kaep? The result... Brian Hoyer being picked up for $12m/2 years.

The Niners then went 0-5 to start the season and people started openly questioning why York was willing to spend on a receiving corps if they weren't going to keep with a decent QB. Kaep was still available and talking about taking a pay cut! York told them to kick rocks because he wasn't about to admit he was wrong. In game 6, Hoyer is so bad that he gets benched for CJ loving BEATHARD, a person whose own parents had never heard of him before. They lose that game and the next few, too.

NFL owners' meetings take place and the public begins to question whether Kaep has been blackballed when a loving nobody is starting for the team. York steps up to the plate to boldly claim "I don't think so." SF gets to 1-10 and their own players are openly questioning why York is not supporting the protests/why Kaep is not around/etc. York hears their concerns and... offers backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo a five year contract that had a higher AAV than what Kaep was asking for. That that trade worked out for SF is fine and dandy, but the message has been clear for a while - York didn't like Kaep and wouldn't change his tune about the issue.

Since then, not much has happened on that end. Kaep now has a collusion case against the NFL Owners and it looks like York is probably going to be defendant #1 if it gets that far. Shockingly, the other big protester from SF, Eric Reid, is also somehow without team and getting no attention in FA, which really makes you think. York "famously" abstained from an informal (non-)vote about whether the owners would want to enforce anthem rules, which is horseshit posturing and means nothing. He has been playing both sides of the debate the whole time and it's super obvious that he is trying to carry water for the older owners while still looking like he cares about black folks. Super petty.

Jed York as the mastermind of the NFL’s collusion and the team’s personnel decisions is an insane take.

Richardson deserves this for being an open racist and for actually sexually harassing people.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Jerry Richardson as it's not like Kaep was only being blackballed by the 49ers. Jerry created a gross work environment for everyone involved and finally being forced to cop to it, despite getting a billion+ dollars, still means he's been running his entire organization like a loving creep forever, affecting far more people that weren't even in situations like Kaeps where they were protesting, they were just coming in to keep their heads down and do their jobs.

I can agree with most of this. However, York is in the unique position that he actively rejected Kaep and then paid a less qualified player more money, all while pushing the narrative that the Niners just couldn't make it work. He also acts as if he supports peaceful civil rights protests even though he would kick Malala down a flight of stairs to win over investors.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
lol I hate Jed York but a ton of that is misinformed gobbledygook

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Hmm, should I vote for someone who is human garbage or an idiot about whom I made up a bunch of things that aren’t even as bad.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Give me Jerry Richardson because sexual harassment and racism is inexcusable

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The Jed York argument seems like a bit of a stretch; he's an NFL owner with all that that entails, but he's not creating as much of a Hostile Work Environment as Jerry Richardson.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Jerry Richardson because sexual harassment and racism have no place in this world. His name should be dragged through the mud.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Jerry Richardson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Jerry Richardson gets muh vote. Just look at him.

• Locked thread