Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My dearest friends the TFF Goons, it's time (or rather a couple weeks past time, honestly) to once again retread the past year's worst football stories and mine them for some kind of entertainment-slash-revenge-fantasy “contest.” Actual Football is still months away, the draft is long past, the frenzy of free agency is largely over, and now all we can do to fill the terrible wasted months of summer is decide which person and/or organization was the worst douchebag of the last year.

BenHasTinyWeenus used to run this thing but I charitably offered to help and now it's somehow become my responsibility. In revenge for having this foisted on me, I get to set the rules and you have to abide by them.

Your Douchebag 2017 champion: Dean Spanos and the Spanos Family.

Your 2017 Inductee into the Dan Snyder Memorial Douchievement Award of Excremence Hall of Fame: Penn State Fans.

The rules
In accordance with established tradition, we will first have a period of nominations. Anygoon can make any number of nominations (BUT see the NEW RULE), and in addition, you should post to "second" other goons' nominations. After the nomination period, I will build a tournament bracket consisting of the nominations that got the most "seconds."

There is no specific limit to how many nominations will go through after voting. Instead I'll make a reasonable decision about where the cutoff should be and build a bracket that works. That may mean we have some wildcard spots if we don't get a power of 2 number of nominations, but that's not that hard to cope with.
:frogsiren:NEW RULE:frogsiren:: after individually voting on like fifty different members of the Cincinnati Bengals last year, there is a new rule to prevent this sort of tedious abuse. By Cavauro: Basically the rule is, I may group players on the same team together if it seems like a bunch of them are getting nominated individually; and also, if one ore more goons seem to be abusing their nominating power and like being sassy with lots of nominations that are intended ironically or some poo poo like that, I may put my foot down and draw a line and combine, veto, or otherwise tinker with the nominations. If the NEW RULE seems vague and bullshit, I put it to you that it is no more so than the NFL's definition of a catch.

Eligibility
Eligible nominees must be a person or group of people that meet these four criteria:

#1: Football
The nominee must be related to the sport of American Football in some reasonably direct way.

#2: Douchebag
The nominee must be douchebaggy or have committed one or more acts of douchebaggery. Douchebaggery is broadly defined by the thread consensus via voting, so I prefer not to try to spell out too specifically what the term means. However, by consensus we typically exclude from consideration crimes for which there was a conviction in a court of law, anyone who has been charged with a crime for which trial is still pending, and anyone who engaged in severely gross behavior that we really need to avoid having some kind of terrible "debate" about, such as the Paterno/Sandusky thing. Please also recognize that we're doing this for fun and not to have a debate about for example what exactly constitutes consent for purposes of determining if a rape took place. That said, a certain amount of discussion about where to draw the line is OK, as long as it doesn't become a derail or start resulting in probations. If you're not sure, :justpost: and I'll make a ruling about it if it needs one.

#3: Of the Year

The nominee must have done the douchebaggy thing during the period of May 19, 2017 through May 18 June 6, 2018. It's OK if they did douchebaggy things before or since, but we will not consider those specific things for this vote, and you have to be able to call out douchebaggery that occurred during that period. Note that you can nominate long-term/chronic douchebags for the Hall of Fame.
e. Note: we're extending the last year up to June 6th, since that's when I posted and we decided to include poo poo that just happened, because otherwise it has to wait a year and that sucks.

#4: Not a member of the hall of fame
Here are the members of the Douchebag Hall of Fame:
Dan Snyder
Craig James
Art Modell
Roger Goodell
The NCAA
Bobby Petrino
Penn State Fans

Special contest: Dan Snyder Memorial Douchievement Award of Excremence
Entirely separately from the Douchebag of the Year tournament, we will have a straight vote for a new inductee into the Douchebag Hall of Fame; think of it as a sort of Lifetime Achievement Award for douchebags.

Eligibility for the Hall of Fame follows exactly the same rules as for the Douchebag of the Year, but with the following exception:
Douchebaggery not limited to the last calendar year. Any football-related douchebag acts of the past may be considered. You can nominate some 1950s football douchebag if you want.
Nominations and seconds will run for the entire thread, including during voting for the tournament brackets. I'll close nominations shortly after we name the Douchebag of the Year, and then we'll have our vote for the hall of fame. Hopefully this doesn't get too confusing. Only the top few nominees will be up for voting. Basically whichever top nominees seem to have reasonable support, with a cutoff that drops the nominees with significantly less support. If that seems vague, well, it is, intentionally, so I can just do what makes sense at the time.

How to Participate

To nominate a football douchebag (for either contest), you must at a bare minimum post in this thread:
  • "Nomination," in BOLD. If you don't bold your post I might notice and count it, or I might not notice it and skip it, especially if it blends into the rest of the normal debate posts.
  • Name of the douchebag or group of douchebags.
  • Football Qualifications: how is this person or group related to football? Please don't just assume I know who this douchebag is. I especially don't know who most college football people are.
  • Describe the Douchebaggery: you should post some convincing argument or at least link to one or more articles or something that explains how this person or group is such a douchebag. Even if you think everyone must already know, just write a sentence or two that specifically points to one or more acts that will qualify them for this contest. I need this info in order to post the tournament brackets so keep that in mind. If you skip this I will ask you to do it anyway so you're not getting out of it.

To second a nomination (for either contest), make a post with the words "second" in bold and the name or names of whoever you are seconding.

Merely emptyquoting someone else is not a vote or second. I will not attempt to interpret why you emptyquoted someone because it can signify disagreement or ridicule as well as agreement. Emptyquoting is also against the forums rules. If you totally agree with someone you can quote them and say (in bold) "seconded" or similar and I'll count that.

Voting Rules
Once we have all the nominations and the tournament begins, everyone will get to vote.

As usual, when the matches begin, I will paste player bios (written by you the voters or halfassed by me if there are non available) and let people vote on one match at a time every two or three days. You will pick your preferred douche and you should give the best argument that you can for why they should win over the other douche.

If you just post a vote for a candidate, that's worth 1 point.
If you make an effort to argue in favor or against a candidate along with your vote, that's worth 3 points.

That's it, that's the scoring. Non lazy people are worth three times as much as lazy people. Merely quoting someone else's argument is still only worth 1 point. You have to add something to the discussion, whether that's doing some googling and posting something someone said online or a news article or some tweets, or just writing a couple of sentences explaining your opinion, I will credit you with 3 points.

I will post how many points your vote was worth when I tally your votes.

OK that's it, go go go! We're already a couple weeks behind so get to it.

Imma just drop this here for uh, reference purposes

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Second post reserved.

Here is the Tracking Spreadsheet.

Here are Previous years of this contest threads
This year, 2017-18, is Year 8. Here's most of the previous years' threads:
Year 1
Year 2
Year 4
Year 5
Year 6
Year 7

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 11, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, I've put Donald Trump in as a nomination for Hall of Fame - it makes sense, since he had gotten into the Kaepernick thing last year before this year's cutoff anyway.

Cash Monet posted:

I say we put Trump in the hall of fame for this recent poo poo and sinking the USFL. Otherwise he's just going to run away with it.

Counted this as a Second for that nomination.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

• Football Qualifications: how is this person or group related to football? Please don't just assume I know who this douchebag is. I especially don't know who most college football people are.
  • Describe the Douchebaggery: you should post some convincing argument or at least link to one or more articles or something that explains how this person or group is such a douchebag. Even if you think everyone must already know, just write a sentence or two that specifically points to one or more acts that will qualify them for this contest. I need this info in order to post the tournament brackets so keep that in mind. If you skip this I will ask you to do it anyway so you're not getting out of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hereby nominate Ben Macadoo, coach of the New York Football Giants. His crime: benching Eli Manning to start Geno Smith, for one game, for terrible and stupid reasons, thus permanently destroying Eli's shot at the record for most consecutive starts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Stoney Case

Leperflesh posted:

• "Nomination," in BOLD. If you don't bold your post I might notice and count it, or I might not notice it and skip it, especially if it blends into the rest of the normal debate posts.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I would like to nominate The NFL owners as a collective because they caved to Trump

The new rule was announced during/after the May 23rd meeting, and our cutoff is, inconveniently, May 18th. I've added to the sheet provisionally anyway, because arguably the owners have been caving to Trump all year - at least, that's likely what Kaep's lawyers will argue in court - but I think it's also fair to put the new rule the owners passed onto the 2018-19 season's douchebag voting, since that's when it takes effect.

Another thing I could do is just include a couple extra weeks in the timeframe. Mostly this is my fault for starting a bit late this year, but I was on vacation in Europe for two weeks starting the 19th, and didn't want to start this thread and then immediately get on a plane and not be taking care of it for its first two weeks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Why did you quote me.

You appear to have been trying to nominate someone named Stony Case, so I quoted the information about how to nominate someone. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Shiki Dan posted:

Seconded, although he could also be a good HoF candidate for all his achievements outside of this year, including walking away from his NFL career over a dispute of $250, managing a chain of Hardee's and Denny's restaurants into the ground (with plenty of racial discrimination allegations to boot), and being one of the ringleaders of the NFL lockout a few years back.

https://theundefeated.com/features/panthers-jerry-richardson-is-no-stranger-to-incidents-involving-race/

It'd be legitimate and fine if you wanted to also nominate him for hall of fame. Maybe he'd even beat Trump! That could happen, right?

...I gotta say, there's not a lot of traffic in this thread right now, compared to years prior. I wonder if it's just waning interest, or if Trump just overshadows everything else, or maybe I'm doing something offputting in how I'm running this thing, I dunno.

If we only wind up with like ten guys to vote on, that's OK too I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK I've decided to just go ahead and leave in the NFL Owners, and extend the dates to include the last couple weeks because gently caress it, we might as well get to talk about what is topical to talk about right now. Think of it a bit like how Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize at the beginning of his term, just based on the presumption that he wasn't George W Bush, except the opposite, or something.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Too bad Dan Snyder is already in the HoF because the cheerleader controversy is near the top of douchebaggery.

Oh yeah. There has to be someone else involved we can nominate, though. Of course, the Redskins thing happened in 2013, so it's only eligible for HoF anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Whitlock was a big player in last year's tournament too, so I'm gonna Also nominate him for HoF even though trump will win.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I’ll definitely vote for Whitlock, even for the HoF, though in my heart he’s more likely to get into the latter in 2019. Donnie’s orange shadow is just too yuuuge this year.

I just realized I made things dumb and complicated for myself because now I won't know which category people are seconding. I'll count this as seconding both categories?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Anyone have links to previous years’ threads? They’d be fun to read and might remind us of some folks who were douches this year too.
e: Here's last years voting thread, will update if i find more:

2017 Voting: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821505&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
This year, 2017-18, is Year 8. Here's the last four years' threads:
Year 4
Year 5
Year 6
Year 7

I don't have earlier threads bookmarked.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what did Errict do that was douchbaggy in the last year, Cavauro?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cavauro seeks to test my literalism and inability to ignore things. He has results, but a good scientist repeats his experiments to validate data. I commend him for his diligence.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

:frogsiren:NEW RULE:frogsiren:: after individually voting on like fifty different members of the Cincinnati Bengals last year, there is a new rule to prevent this sort of tedious abuse. By Cavauro

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks to forums user hepcat for providing links for the first two years of the contest, we now have all but year three:
Year 1
Year 2
Year 4
Year 5
Year 6
Year 7

Good call on the Santa Clara DA.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well "Football" isn't a person or a group of people so while I see your point I don't think "Football" is eligible.

Keep trying though, Cavauro, I believe in you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I nominate (or second) Cavauro because the joke isn't funny any more, it's just tiresome.

Well if I add Cavauro, I guess I'd have to add myself, since I was also nominated, so in all fairness I'll just disqualify goons from being nominated. Even stevens.

On the other hand,

Chichevache posted:

God herself for creating us with the flaw of mortality.

God may or may not exist, but I don't feel as though my skepticism on the matter should disqualify that entity. Assuming Chiche is referring to the Abrahamic deity, this event was not in the past year, so I've entered God for the Hall of Fame. Of course this means that God is going to be beaten by Trump, I'm not quite sure how we feel about that.

This is stretching the rules though, because Chiche's described reason for nominating God is only loosely connected to Football. In as much as all football players eventually must die (except Adam Vinatieri, who is immortal), anyway, I'm provisionally allowing it.

I think we'll wrap up nominations tomorrow, 1 full week seems sufficient given the level of participation. We've got 17 nominations for the DotY and 3 for HoF (including Jason Whitlock for both, and counting God), so that's a number I can work with anyway. 6 nominations for DotY have no seconds yet.
Here's the sheet again, if anyone wants to read it through and think about any more nominations/seconds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If we're down to nominating things like God, can I nominated ALS? It killed Dwight Clark after all.
That'd be on God, right?

quote:

Also Matt Patricia for not disclosing being an (alleged) fratboy douchebag rapist.

I'll allow it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I want to nominate Jeff Triplette, NFL ref. Not for one thing in particular but the fucker retired, and I think he was one of the worst refs of all time. It would be a shame he left without a chance to be a douche.

Do you want to put him in for a lifetime award? Or do you think we can come up with at least one example of bad ref douchebaggery from the last year?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He plainly cannot see the strip on the first call, but should not have stopped the play if he didn't see it.

In the second one I'm thinking the ruling is forward progress/the play is over and the QB counts as down, before the ball comes out? Seems like a lovely ruling but I'm not sure on exactly what the rulebook says about that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Hall of Fame for marvin harrison shooting somebody with a witness and getting away with it, then hiring somebody to kill that person he shot, and getting away with it. he kept on showing up at shootings later and may have been involved in Doing them, i don't know. On November 17, 2002, made his 600th career reception against the Dallas Cowboys

Congrats, you did it!

Harrison was not convicted, but my read of his Wikipedia page suggests reasonable people could believe he did those things, so he's eligible.

Here are the current nominations. I'll give you guys a handful of hours today to do any more seconding you want to do, and then we'll move forward.

For Douchebag of the Year:
pre:
Nominee						Team/Org		Seconds
Jerry Richardson				Carolina Panthers	4
Bob McNair					Houston Texans		4
Rob Gronkowski					New England Patriots	3
Jason Whitlock					Fox Sports		3
Pete Carroll					Seattle Seahawks	2
Tom Brady					New England Patriots	2
Ben Macadoo					New York Giants		1
Toni Grossi					ESPN			1
Cops who interacted with Michael Bennett	Team USA		1
Santa Clara DA Kevin Smith			Santa Clara, CA		1
ESPN						Disney			1
Matt Patricia					Detroit Lions		1
Jim Irsay					Indianapolis Colts	1
Jeff Triplette					NFL			1
University of Montana				U of M			0	
The NFL Owners					The NFL			0	
University of Tennessee				UT			0	
Hue Jackson					Cleveland Browns	0	
Jerry Jones					Dallas Cowboys		0	
Clay Travis					Fox Sports?		0
And for hall of fame:
pre:
Nominee				Team/Org		Seconds
President Donald Trump		Republican Party	6
Jason Whitlock			Fox Sports		2
God				The abrahamic religions	1
Marvin Harrison			Ind. Colts (ret)	0

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well we just don't consider crimes for which a person was convicted as eligible. I didn't make that rule, blame the previous guy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'd like to nominate That one dude from the goon fish bowl who took almost all 12 allotted hours to make the first of two back-to-back picks, then got a new clock for his second pick and timed out.

Or, possibly, me, for allowing that to happen

Was it a goon, or one of the non-goon participants? This is important.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Then I guess he or she is eligible!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry guys I got distracted.

korrandark posted:

Are the Michigan State Board of Trustees eligible? Considering they handled a sex scandal even worse than Baylor.

Did they do anything related to football? I'm not familiar with the issue.

Zurreco posted:

Also, seconding the following:

Jed York
Vontaze Burfict

Neither of these guys have been nominated,

although

Well since Jed York has been seconded I guess I'd better nominate him for being Jed York and possibly giving Niners fans false hope by trading for Jimmy G.

I'll go ahead and retroactively second it.

Shiki Dan posted:

If we nominate NFL Owners as a whole while still nominating individual owners, are we basically repeating last year with the Cincinnati Bengals???

I am generally against nominations for groups unless the individuals are faceless and unimportant (Vikings Fans) or their douchiness as a group is especially egregious compared to what they could do alone.

People like Jerry Jones and Jerry Richardson can stand alone in their individual douchiness.

I'm allowing it mostly because the owners also make decisions as a group via voting under circumstances where we usually don't know exactly what each individual owner's role was. Although it would be weird for the NFL Owners as a group to get matched up against a specific owner.

Right now I could cut off qualification for DotY at 2+ seconds and have 8 entries, or at 1+ seconds and have 23 entries. The NFL Owners has one second, while most of the nominated owners have more or fewer, so it may just work out regardless but if it doesn't, I'll make a decision about it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pasaluki posted:

I nominate Kellen Winslow Jr. for old lady raping.

Nope. We're not gonna touch that one. Serious rape crimes is not something we want to hash out in this fun thread. Fortunately it's also a trial-pending type thing, so I can overrule on that basis too.

Leperflesh posted:

#2: Douchebag
The nominee must be douchebaggy or have committed one or more acts of douchebaggery. Douchebaggery is broadly defined by the thread consensus via voting, so I prefer not to try to spell out too specifically what the term means. However, by consensus we typically exclude from consideration crimes for which there was a conviction in a court of law, anyone who has been charged with a crime for which trial is still pending, and anyone who engaged in severely gross behavior that we really need to avoid having some kind of terrible "debate" about, such as the Paterno/Sandusky thing. Please also recognize that we're doing this for fun and not to have a debate about for example what exactly constitutes consent for purposes of determining if a rape took place. That said, a certain amount of discussion about where to draw the line is OK, as long as it doesn't become a derail or start resulting in probations. If you're not sure, :justpost: and I'll make a ruling about it if it needs one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tom Brady was already nominated but I'll add you guys as seconds, except Vincent Van Goatse because he also already seconded Tom Brady.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

These are the nominees for douchebag of the year who have no seconds. We currently have 23 nominees who have at least one: if anyone would like to second any of these candidates, we'll get to 24 and I can close nominations and move on to the tournament brackets without having to gently caress around with byes as much.

University of Montana
University of Tennessee
Hue Jackson
LA Chargers Org

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Excellent OK THE LINE IS DRAWN nominations for Douchebag of the Year are over, I'll work up the brackets and we can get on to the head to head rounds.

e. You can keep nominating for the Hall of Fame!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 18, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's the brackets, I can rearrange anyone based on same seeding so if there's some bad matchups in here, now's the time to say something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I’m rooting for the NFL owners to go all the way.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hell why not I’ll second UT

too late nerds

also weird, why did both of you use ’ (U+0092, character "PRIVATE USE 2") instead of ' (U+0027, "APOSTROPHE") as an apostrophe, that's a weird coincidence

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I feel like NFL Owners v. Whitlock is a really tough first matchup; Jason definitely needs to get out of the first round if nothing else.

Yeah, that's a good point.

How's this?

I’m posting from the Awful App on my iPhone. Maybe that’s it?

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s an iPhone thing I think. Or Awful app maybe

Yup both you guys are using it so I guess the common denominator is the app or the phone.

It's a bad choice. There's other curly apostrophe characters in more common use, if they just hate the actual apostrophe character. ( ’ ) U+2019 "RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK" is the best alternative.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol guys guys try and keep up

It's time for our first matchup!

JERRY RICHARDSON vs. JED YORK

Jerry Richardson

This man looks like a sack of poo poo in every single photo of him

Jerome Johnson Richardson Sr. (born July 18, 1936) is a former NFL player and the founder of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League.

FizFashizzle posted:

Jerry Richardson

For insisting on surrounding Cam Newton with a bunch of neanderthals stuck in the 1980s.

Also for serially sexually harassing female members of his organization since the team's founding, including these gems.

quote:

A. "The week before we play New England please do the following:
① manicure
② pedicure
③ facial
④ hair stuff
⑤ wear lip gloss
I want all of us to be at our best that week-end"

B. "④ If I could...I'd pamper you more. Rub your feet. Shave your legs. Put lotion on your body - etc, etc"

C. "④ you did not answer my questions – – Do you think of me as:
① your grandfather
② your second father
③ your second husband
④ your friend
⑤ your boyfriend
⑥ or something else –

I regret I have never been able to give you pleasure – "

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/26/carolina-panthers-owner-jerry-richardson-allegations-victim-letters

On December 17, 2017, Sports Illustrated reported that "at least four former Panthers employees have received ‘significant’ monetary settlements due to inappropriate workplace comments and conduct by owner Jerry Richardson, including sexually suggestive language and behavior, and on at least one occasion directing a racial slur at an African-American Panthers scout." According to the anonymous sources which were the basis for the article, Richardson asked women in the team offices to "turn around so he could admire their backsides" on Casual Friday, among other "disturbing" office behavior.[10]

On December 17, 2017, it was announced that Richardson intended to sell the Panthers franchise at the conclusion of the 2017 season. After great interest from the market, in May 2018 Richardson finalized a sale to billionaire and then Pittsburgh Steelers minority owner David Tepper for an NFL record sales price of 2.2 billion dollars. The deal was approved by NFL owners on May 22, 2018.

vs.

Jed York

<sad trombone>

Well since Jed York has been seconded I guess I'd better nominate him for being Jed York and possibly giving Niners fans false hope by trading for Jimmy G.
John Edward "Jed" York (born c. 1980) is an American sports executive who is the current CEO of the San Francisco 49ers NFL franchise. York is the son of Denise DeBartolo York and John York and nephew of former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward J. DeBartolo Jr.

He has made a lot of really stupid personnel choices in the past, including getting in to a feud with and subsequently firing the 49ers' all time best coach Jim Harbaugh, but none of that matters because this is just Douchebag of the Year. Also was he really the one who traded for Jimmy G? Because normally that's the domain of the GM. But gently caress it, he gets in anyway because it's inconcievable that Jed Fuckbag York hasn't done a bunch of douchebaggy things this past year.

OK, vote! Remember the voting rules, you get more points for effort and your vote doesn't count if all you do is emptyquote someone else.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll wrap up this matchup this evening when I have some time, but it looks like it's gonna be a close one!!!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jerry Richardson Wins! in a narrow 42-3 victory over Jed York.

Next up we have:

Pete Carroll vs. Minnesota Vikings Fans

Pete Carroll

Peter Clay Carroll (born September 15, 1951) is an American football coach who is the head coach and executive vice president of the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League (NFL). He is a former head coach of the New York Jets, New England Patriots, and the USC Trojans of the University of Southern California (USC). Carroll is one of only three football coaches who have won both a Super Bowl and a college football national championship.[1] Carroll is the oldest head coach currently working in the NFL.

seiferguy posted:

I nominate Pete Carroll, head coach of the Seahawks.

Qualifications: he scared off all his veteran players with his lovely stories he keeps repeating, but most importantly because he did this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/994709685826605056

Regarding this man, Jordan Peterson:
https://www.theshadowleague.com/story/nfl-coach-pete-carroll-invited-a-right-wing-blowhard-to-talk-but-why

quote:

He once said that feminists have “an unconscious wish for brutal male domination,” when asked about their support of Muslims’ rights. In 2016, he tweeted to women in general, saying that if they “usurp men they will rebel and fail and you will have to jail or enslave them.”
Again, this is considered by some to be the "most influential public intellectual in the Western world right now." Oh, really?
Actually, it's no surprise at all.

Peterson recently talked about the “disappearing masculinity in America” in an interview with Fox News’ Tucker Carlson. In the interview, Peterson also said that “centuries of oppression of women by men is an absolutely, reprehensible, ideological re-write of history,” and that this is what is taught largely in schools and universities, and that this is harming young boys.

“If you have your children in a school, and they talk about equity, diversity, inclusivity, white privilege, systemic racism, any of that, you take your children out of the class,” Peterson said in the interview when asked what advice he could give to parents. “They’re not being educated, they’re being indoctrinated, and there’s absolutely no excuse for it.”

Regarding Pete Carroll's old man stories:
https://www.theshadowleague.com/story/pete-carroll-s-spicy-clapback-proves-it-wasn-t-all-good-in-seattle

quote:

"I think it was kind of philosophical on his part," said Sherman about Coach Carroll on Uninterrupted's The Thomahawk Show. "A lot of us have been there six, seven, eight years, and his philosophy is more built for college. Four years, guys rotate in, rotate out, and so we had kind of heard all his stories, we had kind of heard every story, every funny anecdote that he had. And honestly, because he just recycles them. And they're cool stories, they're great for team chemistry and building, etcetera, etcetera. But we had literally heard them all. We could recite them before he even started to say them."

OK. Then we have the Minnesota Vikings Fans:
Yes, vikings fans. Aren't they just the worst?
a

CyberPingu posted:

Nominating Vikings Fans for being a bunch of babies after the NFCCG and stopping Eagles players and fans from eating in restaurants around the city and other petty things.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/Eagles-Super-Bowl-Eagles-denied-access-to-Minneapolis-restaurants-114292791/

quote:

The Philadelphia Eagles have been making their travel plans to Minneapolis in preparation for Super Bowl 52, but Minnesota Vikings fans are making sure they don't have good visit.

Philadelphia defeated the Minnesota Vikings 38-7 in the NFC Championship Game, ruining the Vikings chances of becoming the first team to play a Super Bowl in its home stadium. Some videos went viral of some Eagles fans booing Vikings fans and throwing beer cans at them prior to the game, causing Vikings fans to use the "Philly fan" narrative about how bad they were treated during their stay in Philadelphia.
Now, Vikings fans are looking to get even. Chris Maragos apparently can't get reservations to restaurants in Minneapolis for him and his teammates because they play for the Eagles.

Sour grapes after an embarrassing NFC Championship Game loss.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMaragos/st...ts-114292791%2F

Here's some more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jealous-vikings-fans-stop-ruin-eagles-super-bowl-fun-article-1.3787897

OK, you decide: who is the bigger douchebag, Pete Carroll, or Vikings fans of Minnesota? vote!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well it's all academic because PETE CARROLL WINS, in a super close nailbiter 36-3 come-from-ahead victory.

And this segues nicely into the next matchup:

Jerry Jones vs. Eagles Fans!

Jerry Jones:
Jerral Wayne Jones (born October 13, 1942) is an American businessman, best known for being owner of the National Football League (NFL)'s Dallas Cowboys since 1989.

The cowboys are the most financially lucrative team with profits of $350M annually, despite sucking rear end for a really long time and having their self-claimed and always highly dubious monicker "America's team" de-facto usurped by the Pats. So Jones is special even among the billionaire's club that is NFL ownership. And not just in financial terms: he's essentially the ringleader of that gang, wielding the most influence and power at the table.

So his douchebaggery has an outsized effect.

Incoherence posted:

I'm not sure if we're just rolling all of the anthem-protest stuff into NFL Owners, but if not, here's a nomination for Jerry Jones:

me, in october posted:

Jerry Jones two weeks ago: kneels alongside his team during the national anthem.

Jerry Jones yesterday: "if we are disrespecting the flag, we will not play".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.e65e680e27e9
Apparently his "solution" was to have the team kneel before the anthem and then stand for the anthem itself.
https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/917541753242210305

"Actually, I think you'll find this is about me"

Jones' approach to the kneeling controversy was to enforce lockstep conformity to his own policy, attempt to usurp the rebellion by making it be about what he wanted (a show of patriotism and team unity in following the rules that completely neutered its impact or relevance to the actual protest), and then credited it to Donald Trump, driving home the unmistakable point that this was conservative republican anti-protest using players as pawns to screen a political maneuver.

Jones is undoubtely also highly influential in the effective blackballing of Kaepernick himself, too. Either explicitly behind closed doors, or implicitly through his direct bootlicking of Trump combined with the outsized power he wields within the NFL.

Or....

Eagles Fans

Darth Brooks posted:

I feel like I need to nominate Eagles fans just so everybody can yell get over it and not vote for them.

Behavior: Defending throwing stuff at other fans, tearing seats out of the stadium, etc.

http://www.fox9.com/news/eagles-fan-rips-seats-out-of-us-bank-stadium-during-super-bowl-lii

https://truepundit.com/watch-unruly-eagles-fans-throw-bottles-beer-cans-vikings-fans/

This is pretty douchebaggy too

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

These seedings are awful.

Jurrah

Yeah I kind of have a choice with seedings: I can set it up so that we have strong contenders eliminated really early, or, we can weed out the noncontenders in the first round. I think the latter is preferable. That said, I try not to overly anticipate who is gonna win, although I have my own opinions. I think our next matchup will be more interesting but we're gonna have a fair number of these blowouts over the next few days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jerry Jones Wins in a unanimous 33-0 blowout.

Next up:

ESPN vs. The NFL Owners
hoo boy

ESPN

ESPN (originally an acronym for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network) is a U.S.-based global cable and satellite sports television channel owned by ESPN Inc., a joint venture owned by The Walt Disney Company (80%) and Hearst Communications (20%). The company was founded in 1979 by Bill Rasmussen along with his son Scott Rasmussen and Ed Egan.

As of January 2016, ESPN is available to approximately 91,405,000 paid television households (78.527% of households with at least one television set) in the United States. Nielsen has reported a much lower number in 2017, below 90,000,000 subscribers, losing more than 10,000 a day.

seiferguy posted:

I nominate ESPN for their treatment of Jemele Hill. Specifically they reprimanded her for stating the obvious that Trump is a white supremacist, then suspended her for being critical of Jerry Jones and his flag humping poo poo.

I wanna say there was some other dumb poo poo they did regarding college football announcing, but I can't remember.

quote:

Hill stoked controversy with tweets calling President Donald Trump “a white supremacist,” “a bigot” and “unqualified and unfit to be president” and later, after being reminded of ESPN’s social media policies, for suggesting fans upset with how NFL owners respond to player protests during the national anthem should consider sponsor boycotts.

The Trump tweets, which ESPN disavowed as not representing its views, brought calls for Hill’s dismissal from White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders and Trump supporters. Hill said she was sorry for not making it clear she didn’t represent ESPN.

Hill’s subsequent NFL anthem protest tweets brought a suspension from the Disney-owned company, which has a great deal of money invested in NFL rights fees.
Source

and,
http://digg.com/2017/robert-lee-espn-controversy-explained

quote:

On Tuesday, ESPN reassigned a sports announcer by the name of Robert Lee from calling a football game at University of Virginia on September 2. (Lee was reassigned to cover a game in Pittsburgh on the ACC Network Extra channel.)

The decision stemmed from the fact that Lee's name resembles that of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, a statue of whom was the rally point of white supremacist protestors who incited violence in Charlottesville — the home of the University of Virginia — earlier this month.
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/900172329032069120

hokay.

The NFL Owners

The franchise owners of the NFL teams collectively operate the NFL. Here's a list of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_owners
Approximately 18 of them are billionaires, with the rest being merely mostly multi-hundred-millionaires.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I would like to nominate The NFL owners as a collective because they caved to Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5e89582cb799

quote:

The new policy, announced Wednesday after a two-day meeting of the league’s 32 owners here, leaves it to individual teams to discipline players for acts deemed disrespectful during the anthem but also gives the league wide discretion to fine teams for actions taken by players. The changes met quickly with approval from Vice President Pence and skepticism from the NFL Players Association, which said it was not consulted on the changes.

“Clearly our objective as a league and to all 32 clubs, which was unanimous, is that we want people to be respectful of the national anthem,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said.
Hours after the new policy was announced, Pence tweeted “#Winning,” with an image of an American flag and a screenshot of a CNN story about the new policy, which described the NFL’s decision as “a stunning victory for President Trump.” Pence’s tweet was retweeted by the White House’s official @POTUS account.
The NFL Players Association announced it would study the new policy and challenge any aspects of it that the union found to be in violation of the sport’s collective bargaining agreement.

“The NFL chose to not consult the union in the development of this new ‘policy,'” the NFLPA said in its statement. “NFL players have shown their patriotism through their social activism, their community service, in support of our military and law enforcement and yes, through their protests to raise awareness about the issues they care about.

“The vote by NFL club CEOs today contradicts the statements made to our player leadership by Commissioner Roger Goodell and the Chairman of the NFL’s Management Council John Mara about the principles, values and patriotism of our League.”

Feel free to mention any additional douchebaggery by ESPN and the NFL Owners during the last year! But also, vote.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is a very very tight contest (currently ESPN 24, NFL Owners 23) so keep in mind folks that giving a reason gets you 3 points, not giving a reason gets you 1.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's currently ESPN 31, NFL Owners 29. I'll leave voting open till the full standard 48 hours elapses, which is another 5ish hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Okay, well, in a surprising result, ESPN WINS! The NFL Owners collectively are defeated, 31-29, but individually several remain in the running.

Next up we have Tom Brady vs. Sean McDermott and the Bills Leadership

Tom Brady
Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr. (born August 3, 1977) is an American football quarterback for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL).

Brady is a friend of President Donald Trump;[426][427] in 2017, Brady indicated he had known Trump "for 16 years".[428] At a political event in New Hampshire on the day before the 2016 presidential election, Trump said he had received a call from Brady, and that Brady told him "Donald, I support you, you're my friend, and I voted for you." However, after Gisele Bündchen was asked directly on Instagram whether she and Brady backed Trump, Bündchen answered "NO!".[429] After a Trump campaign "Make America Great Again" cap was photographed in Brady's locker, Brady said that Bündchen told him not to discuss politics anymore, which he thought was a "good decision".[430] Brady did not join most of his teammates from the New England Patriots in visiting Trump and the White House in April 2017, citing "personal family matters."[431]

fsif posted:

I nominate Tom Brady for forcing Jimmy G out of New England.

pals?

I don't know how that happened. I do know that Tom Brady likes to share lingering, long, intimate kisses with his son, which is creepy:
https://www.thecut.com/2018/02/tom-brady-kisses-son-superbowl-2018.html

Sean McDermott and the Bills Leadership
Sean McDermott (born March 21, 1974) is an American football coach who is the head coach of the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League (NFL).

Psst. I hate you

Zurreco posted:

Bills' Leadership, especially Sean McDermott, coach of the Bills, for aggressively trying to gently caress over their upcoming QB and veteran center.

Basically, Bills brass made a fuss about not wanting to pay Tyrod Taylor even though he was having a great year. Coach looked for any reason to bench or IR Tyrod in order to make him miss incentives and, of course, decided to pull him despite him having a record year. McDermott started Nathan Peterman, who went to throw 5 INT in his first half played. It was terrible and super transparent.

Bills put Tyrod back at starter and decided to overutilize Tyrod, forcing him to take bigger risks which culminated in Tyrod getting injured. All mishandling of their competent QB stuck the team with a poo poo playoff seed (somehow) shere they were not physically ready to face the Jags. Tyrod got injured, again, trying to lead a comeback.

Knowing Tyrod deserved to get paid, the Bills did the opposite - TT got traded to the Browns...

Meanwhile, their historic center Eric Wood was diagnosed with a career ending injury. Wood wasset to retire until the Bills notified him that they would attempt to reclaim part of his extension bonus if he retired. Wood had to cancel his retirement until the details became public, and only then did management decide that the PR hit wasn't worth a few mil in cap space.

Oh yeah, the Bills' president had to resign for misconduct. Note that the Tyrod trade took place after he left, so that was more of a GM/coach thing, but still.

• Locked thread