Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Hey folks it's another comic book show! Cloak and Dagger is Marvel's latest dive into the tween market, airing on Disney's Freeform channel.

TL, DR summary: The black kid controls darkness and the white, blonde girl controls light. Their powers are intertwined through events that will be most likely be revealed throughout the show. No, the movies will never loving acknowledge its existence don't loving ask.

Hey, we need something to hold us over until Agents of SHIELD comes back, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
So far so good.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

tomapot posted:

So far so good.

It's been enjoyable, definitely slow so far but it's the first ep and obviously you gotta establish a bunch of poo poo.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Congrats, you killed a rapist!

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

racial power dynamics

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Ma'am, your table is glowing...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I like Liam, what's going to go wrong with him?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

howe_sam posted:

I like Liam, what's going to go wrong with him?

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and for him to die horrifically

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahahahahahahaha now that's how you fuckin' end an episode

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Welp she's dead good series everyone!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Can someone please spoil what happened at the end? I was watching with a slight delay to fast forward past commercials and my recording of the second hour ended just as she grabbed her papers and left the dry cleaners. Set it to go 5 more minutes next week.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

bagrada posted:

Can someone please spoil what happened at the end? I was watching with a slight delay to fast forward past commercials and my recording of the second hour ended just as she grabbed her papers and left the dry cleaners. Set it to go 5 more minutes next week.

Liam calls Tandy from jail, having been picked up by the cops, saying he needs her help because he gave her all his money. She turns up the radio and keeps driving.

Tyrone breaks into the cop who killed his brother's house and points a gun at him, and teleports away as he pulls the trigger.

As Tandy is driving, Tyrone, still pointing the gun and screaming, teleports directly in front of Tandy's car. The gun fires, the bullet narrowly misses her and she swerves to avoid Tyrone, hitting a tree.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thanks. drat yeah I better pad my recording with some extra time if they're gonna be doing poo poo like that. I liked the show. Bit heavy on the music and melodrama but I'm in to see where they go with it. I don't remember them having the psychic powers but I only vaguely remember reading a couple of their comics when I was a kid.

I still want someone to do a freakin' Moon Knight show while Disney is still vomiting out the Marvel catalog over all media to see what sticks.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo this show is gorgeous. The shot of Tandy against the stone wings is one I’ll remember for a while.

Also disappointed that “Hello? Crazy white girl?” wasn’t the thread title

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This is a really good show so far but drat...like...this is not really "teen drama" as much as it is "existential depression power hour."

These are just...some of the most traumatized humans going through some of the worst circumstances in life and the show very much lingers and hones in on that without providing much in the way of comfort or alleviation.

Which, y'know, props. The characters are so engaging...but the flip side is, engaging with these characters kinda feels like being enveloped in the Darkforce dimension for hours on end. It's only been two eps but already I kinda feel a desperate need for a bit of light in this darkness. A CW teen romp, this is not. I don't think even the Netflix shows get as deep into this sort of adult tone as this show has done (not that I necessarily want to equate "darkness" with "maturity").

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
This is some racist bullshit.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Chokes McGee posted:

Holy poo poo this show is gorgeous. The shot of Tandy against the stone wings is one I’ll remember for a while.

Also disappointed that “Hello? Crazy white girl?” wasn’t the thread title

They were hammering you in the face with that shot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Two episodes of that in a row was too much. That was super long. And it's not exactly moving at a great pace either.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Glad to see they're not entirely in keeping with the comics

(alternately)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 8, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chokes McGee posted:

It's intensely stylish, which is cool. For some reason I found the scenes with the lady detective especially hallucinatory, did she really just have a single line of dialogue?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

howe_sam posted:

It's intensely stylish, which is cool. For some reason I found the scenes with the lady detective especially hallucinatory, did she really just have a single line of dialogue?

Yup. And she knocked it out of the park. It takes a pretty good actress to convey what she did while not using any words.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This is absolutely not a teen drama, but I think we were all in the same boat with that impression going in. This is a pretty dark drama that just happens to feature teens.

I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's pretty decent so far. This doesn't really have to do with the show but I was always confused as to whether Cloak and Dagger were dating or not. For those curious to the answer apparently yes but in the recent comic that came out this week, they've broken up or something.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RandomBlue posted:

They were hammering you in the face with that shot.

as you well know I love getting hammered in the face

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

RandomBlue posted:

This is some racist bullshit.

It’s not . . . not problematic

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2018/06/07/617267857/marvel-s-cloak-dagger-review

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh... whoever wrote that thinks they are cute.

Ick

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I hope this show is successful for no other reason than it means we are one small step closer to getting a Maximum Carnage mini-series.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I watched the first two episodes last night and super liked them. Excited to see where it goes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So the big bad company is Roxxon.
Will Dario Agger show up?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Roxxon is in basically all of the TV shows (at least Netflix and apparently the Iron Man movies), so it's a crapshoot.

That said, with that name I could see it here. Probably not in his monster form though, with a Freeform budget and whatnot.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It was also in Agent Carter Season 1.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You can tell that the company will take a pretty central role. Tandy's dad worked for them, her mom is trying to sue them and that explosion seems to have started the powers in the first place.
I am pretty sure we will meet some higher ups from Roxxon soon enough.

I'm mostly wondering if the show will be brave enough to go with that name, since it's kinda silly. Especially given what Tandy will probably call herself.

It turns out that she just died in that car crash. The rest of the story is about a ruthless CEO who decides to turn a new leaf by mentoring Tyrone.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 13, 2018

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
This was fine. Wasn't a fan of the soundtrack, though.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

This is getting weird but I'm feeling it...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This episode has had some imagery

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The cinematography in this show is amazing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Emerson Cod posted:

This was fine. Wasn't a fan of the soundtrack, though.
Same here, but I wouldn't mind the soundtrack half as much if there wasn't so much of it. They legit do like 4-5 song montages per episode, and it comes off as lazy instead of poignant.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Same here, but I wouldn't mind the soundtrack half as much if there wasn't so much of it. They legit do like 4-5 song montages per episode, and it comes off as lazy instead of poignant.

It's a teen network thing. I suspect it's more of a generic obligation than laziness.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This definitely feels like a Netflix MCU series with the slow-burn going on, but also not the slow burn of Runaways where a bunch of artificial roadblocks will come up every once in a while to prevent the plot from moving forward. Things are moving forward...kinda exactly as fast as they should be. Some plots are even surprisingly brisk, like the whole Tandy and the cop thing just being resolved like it was (obviously the cop will show up again but the whole "maybe Tandy is in trouble with the law" thing is pretty much just done).

Thaaat being said, I can see that maybe this series would've benefited from being released all at once, just like the Netflix shows, instead of in this weekly format, and I am looking forward to a change of pacing soon because I don't think ten whole episodes as cumbrous and weighty as each of these have been is going to make for a great season in retrospect. I'm really into these characters and this story so, y'know, I'll be watching each episode no matter what...but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The use of stained glass imagery on top of the light/dark contrasting was very cool, referencing the original series:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s480.photobucket.com/user/Superpouvoir_2009/media/marvel_comics/cloak_and_dagger_01_04.jpg.html (Not the best example but what I could find via a Google search.)

I enjoyed learning about New Orleans and Voodoo as well!

• Locked thread