Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Yeah but it's the perfect time for a training montage in the hyperbolic time chamber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I started watching Killing Eve, which is a fun prestige drama on BBC America (international assassins, MI6, but an Emmy nomination for one of the leads). The show’s pretty great, but the soundtrack is almost wall to wall Shazam-able songs. All to say that I don’t think the soundtrack here is just because it’s FreeForm... that’s just the way a lot of tv sounds now.

Also, time loop Ivan Hess is a blast.

Edit: Also also, I dig that the name of the episode is "The Lotus Eaters." I get that all TV now is thirty-year-olds writing in the voice of sixteen-year-olds, but that's still a clever reference.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 14, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So in essence, all of this happened because Roxxon was stingy with regards to the security measures, while drilling for evil voodoo juice, which they'd use as highly combustible fuel.
Classic Roxxon!

The Modern Leper posted:

Edit: Also also, I dig that the name of the episode is "The Lotus Eaters." I get that all TV now is thirty-year-olds writing in the voice of sixteen-year-olds, but that's still a clever reference.

It's not impossible for a nerdy sixteen-year-old to know a bit about the Odyssey.
But if I wanted to be nitpicky, I'd argue that this theme only applied to Tandy. It's not like Ivan really enjoyed his time in there.

Also, that's some enormous time compression there. The minute Tyrone went out was enough to run over 200 loops, each taking about two minutes.
Stretching that out over 8 years means that he was in there for over 3200 years! It's a good thing that he doesn't seem to remember that time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

cant cook creole bream posted:

The minute Tyrone went out was enough to run over 200 loops, each taking about two minutes.

200 loops before she gave up counting. We have no idea how many after that.

I was kind of lukewarm on this show so far, but this episode felt like they were really hitting their stride. Holt and Joseph in particular really felt like they were finally settling into their roles and expanding them a bit beyond “bland, troubled YA protagonist” territory.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holy poo poo, they literally fridged the cop boyfriend, that's amazing.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

They also explicitly established the show is in the same continuity as the MCU, or at the very least the peripheral version from the Netflix Marvel shows.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

howe_sam posted:

Holy poo poo, they literally fridged the cop boyfriend, that's amazing.
HAhaha I thought you were using the figurative form of literally, but nope it is a literal fridging. So loving great.

..uh I mean, so very...sad. Yes, very tragic event.

Tyrone had a pretty cool and eventful narrative to getting his cloak. Will we be seeing Tandy's Campbellian heroic journey towards donning the iconic boob window white tights? Maybe it'll be...a ballet outfit of some kind.

Also I quite liked the music in this episode. Definitely will be looking the tracks up.

Also can I just say how great it is for someone, in one of these shows, to finally go "Oh yeah I've seen hella superpowers before. Getting pretty used to it" Instead of being like WHAT! Powers ?? In our world??? IMPOSSIBLE

All around, a great ep for me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The whole season has been really good.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The way they got the confession was a drat good update on the comics version of Ty, while still keeping true to his aspect of their powers. Really enjoying how this season is progressing, and the hard edge to the show is well judged so as not to be exploitative or tasteless.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

renewed :toot:

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

That's awesome news, the buzz on this show seemed almost non existant but apparently it's drawing some of the best numbers Freeform has ever had. It may actually be my favorite Season 1 of a MCU-adjacent show since Daredevil season 1, and has the chance to land the #1 spot overall. And whoever chooses the soundtrack to this show deserves a raise...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm excited for more mayhem in season 2.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

GLOSS posted:

That's awesome news, the buzz on this show seemed almost non existant but apparently it's drawing some of the best numbers Freeform has ever had. It may actually be my favorite Season 1 of a MCU-adjacent show since Daredevil season 1, and has the chance to land the #1 spot overall. And whoever chooses the soundtrack to this show deserves a raise...
I think for the first episode it seemed like the excessive use of music was to cover up for a lack of good dialogue, but as the episodes have progressed it has gotten a lot better and it feels less like they're just trying to fill dead air or making one too many montages. I'm also still waiting for a fight scene set to AWOLNATION, or was that too 2010 at this point?

Also yeah, this is definitely the best Freeform show that I've seen though the only other one I recall trying to watch was 'Dead of Summer' and that was a collection of interesting promo art that led into a very meandering, weak horror slasher plot that finally got interesting on the final episode. Was quite the bummer in the end cause it could have been good if it did anything the last couple of episodes delivered on.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Just catching up now, but this show is way better than I expected. I kind of assumed it would be terrible just because it was on Freeform

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I assumed I would be free from Rick and Morty here, that reference didn't even make any sense priest! :argh:

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Arist posted:

I assumed I would be free from Rick and Morty here, that reference didn't even make any sense priest! :argh:

That was the epitome of "Older dude trying to be hip" and I both hated and loved it at the same time.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

This dude is 100% stealing all the money, isn't he?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GLOSS posted:

This dude is 100% stealing all the money, isn't he?

Worse

e: weeeelp

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 27, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ugh that cliffhanger, why can't it be next week

Good episode though, even if the meta-ness of the lecture about narrative was a little hokey.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Man, I was waiting for Tandy to snipe that assassin with a dagger but I guess I'll have to wait for next week to see that. I really hope they stick the landing in the finale, this show has been fantastic...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is this done yet? Worth the ride so far?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Something someone pointed out online:

Since Rick and Morty is canon to the MCU now, Adult Swim and thus Cartoon Network is canon.

Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that at least one of the Avengers has seen this:

edit: Also I can't believe it took me 9 episodes to realize why Mayhem looked so familiar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EKdAiu3toY

Senerio fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 27, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Phenotype posted:

Is this done yet? Worth the ride so far?

It's pretty good, last episode is next week.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I like this series but I hated that episode. Oh boy, the hero's journey, how meta :rolleyes: , then it ended right as it was getting good again.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Look, it's a short first season. Sometimes you gotta give viewers the Cliff Notes to move things along in time for the "it all comes together" finale.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think they went a wee bit overboard with Tandy's regression this episode (and Tyrone as well, in a way), and the on-the-nose narration going "See we know exactly what we're doing, 'cuz we're describing it as it happens!" didn't help matters. Tandy back to her old habits is all well and good, but going from "petty con-artist" to "SOUL-DESTROYER, DESTROYER OF SOULS" right off the bat was kinda much.

And with Tyrone, it didn't even occur to me that all of his emotional roller-coastering happened in a single day until the conversation with his mom at the end. I'd thought that he gradually got worse and worse over the course of time, but nope, they talked to the police in the morning and then immediately afterwards Ty can't help keeping his anger bottled anymore. Friend, at least give it 24 hours before going off the deep end at school and losing all faith in God or whatever.

Still, this is a really strong show and I like that all this stuff happens, even if it strains narrative credulity at times. Really looking forward to the finale.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it’s 1000% believable that a teenager could go through that kind of emotional upheaval over the course of a day. I’m pushing 40 and I still remember all too well how it was to have your brain on a hair trigger at every moment.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, :( :rip:Bee Arthur:rip: :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, Tandy is a bit to eager to go into peoples minds and devour their hopes, leaving behind a husk of a person. Maybe that effect is only temporary, otherwise she's sort of a villain.
It looked like the hopeeating gives her some kind of fix. She's probably already addicted to that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The police thing was pretty dumb. In the morning they went from "Hey, we think your son was telling the truth and we're investigating this cop!" to the evening of "cop is now free and your son is wanted for the murder of a cop who brought in the other cop."

What? Even by corrupt cop logic that's ridiculous.

It feels like we needed a bit more of the badguys being corrupt behind the scenes stuff. In fact, other than the cop we really don't have a clear bad guy beyond 'Roxxon' and whoever is in control of the police force and likes drug money.

I do like the show being very centered and focused around the drama of Tandy and Tyrone but it's done little to build them up for any kind of showdown with anyone beyond a very obviously middle management corrupt vice cop.

Also the soundtrack on this show is just so...obnoxiously loud.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1024455806249590785

Considering Runaways is the only Marvel show I haven't watched (since I don't have Hulu), this is an interesting way to get it out in the public. Is the first episode enough to actually hook people into a Hulu sub?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GLOSS posted:

Is the first episode enough to actually hook people into a Hulu sub?

It is until you realize that the first episode is basically the whole season. Just...spinning their wheels.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

PaybackJack posted:

The police thing was pretty dumb. In the morning they went from "Hey, we think your son was telling the truth and we're investigating this cop!" to the evening of "cop is now free and your son is wanted for the murder of a cop who brought in the other cop."

What? Even by corrupt cop logic that's ridiculous.

It feels like we needed a bit more of the badguys being corrupt behind the scenes stuff. In fact, other than the cop we really don't have a clear bad guy beyond 'Roxxon' and whoever is in control of the police force and likes drug money.

very true, but the flip side of the coin is Netflix Marvel pacing

this show is flying through it a little too fast, but I'm glad they're erring on the side of getting poo poo on the road

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Runaways is decent unless you work yourself into a shoot about them running away.

They don't run away til the season finale and as long as you know that it's fine. If you go in expecting them to run away in episode 2, you'll just get mad. You can read the thread for proof of that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senerio posted:

Runaways is decent unless you work yourself into a shoot about them running away.

I can't bring myself to agree, sorry. Even within the confines they provide it, the plot is painfully slow to move forward. (Most egregiously, by episode five they know their parents are responsible for two separate murders -- one of whom is partially their own fault -- and yet still feel bizarrely uninterested and unmotivated by that information.) It's basically an exercise in dithering.

On top of that, the two male leads are bad actors, plot points are raised and dropped, nobody is proactive, it wastes time on a bizarre affair plotline, and it has poorer action than Iron Fist (which is something I say that as someone who didn't mind the action in Iron Fist).

Tina's mother is fun though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The action scenes are bad, yeah, but the show is primarily character driven, at least in season 1. That was to the benefit of the parents, and helped establish characters who were exceedingly one-note in the comics.

Regarding your spoiler, I feel that finding out your parents are part of a ritualistic murder cult is a rather hard thing to process.

I like the male leads simply because I like Gregg Sulkin getting typecast as the guy fans hate because he gets in the way of the lesbians. Also his scenes with his dad were quite good I feel. Alex is a bit more of a mixed bag, but if they keep the plot point from the comics, we can see if he is able to do a (Agents of SHIELD S1/tangential Runaways spoilers) Grant Ward-esque character rehabilitation.

And yes, Tina's mother is the MVP of the show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Senerio posted:

Two things:
  1. Who would start watching a show named "Runaways" and not expect the protagonists to, at some point, run away?
  2. Even aside from that it's slow, boring and dumb. Major stuff happens and then the characters just don't react to it. They discover murders, conspiracies, magic, and a loving dinosaur and they do nothing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

Two things:
  1. Who would start watching a show named "Runaways" and not expect the protagonists to, at some point, run away?
  2. Even aside from that it's slow, boring and dumb. Major stuff happens and then the characters just don't react to it. They discover murders, conspiracies, magic, and a loving dinosaur and they do nothing.

If they ran away at the beginning, you wouldn't have the adults chewing scenery for 10 episodes

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tiggum posted:

They discover magic
It's not magic, it's science! :science:

Or did they walk that change to the Staff of One back, I never finished the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

howe_sam posted:

It's not magic, it's science! :science:

Or did they walk that change to the Staff of One back, I never finished the season

Nah, it's meant to be some kind of advanced science, but for all the explanation we got of how it came to be it may as well have been magic.

• Locked thread