Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

acksplode posted:

Also the accident occurred as he was swerving to avoid a dead animal that happened to be in just the right spot.

A Cult Did It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pomp posted:

A Cult Did It

The pole literally has the cult's symbol carved into it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Palpatine’s behind it all!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Pretty sure the dead animal shows up at the end as peter/charlie/paimon heads for the treehouse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I also just noticed that Charlie’s head is placed on the Paimen statue. It’s awesome

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just watched this on netflix last night and I wanted to comment on this chain:

Planet Piss posted:

Who did the score for the movie? Because it was just as horrifying as everything else

china bot posted:

Colin Stetson. If you liked his score, check out New History Warfare, Vol. 2

alf_pogs posted:

that whole last piece of triumphant music is incredible

Unmature posted:

It really elevates that ending from really cool to transcendent

Yaws posted:

According to wikipedia

quote:

In the Goetia, Weyer, de Plancy, Livre des Esperitz, Liber Officium Spirituum, and Sloane 3824, Paimon is described as a man riding a Dromedary or camel, preceded by men playing loud music (particularly trumpets)

The track in question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVnSFj6XQZY

Another thing I found on Wikipedia

quote:

Practicing occultist Carroll "Poke" Runyon suggests that the name ultimately derives from "a Middle Eastern Pagan Goddess", on the grounds that some manuscripts depict Paimon as a young woman riding a camel, and that the name "Paimon" purportedly meant "a tinkling sound" in an unspecified language

Also, per China Bot's post, I checked out the first track of that album and I kinda don't want to listen to the rest of it!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
“What? It’s a completely neutral view of the accident.” is still the funniest line in the past 12 months of movies

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Blast Fantasto posted:

“What? It’s a completely neutral view of the accident.” is still the funniest line in the past 12 months of movies

The whole movie is amazing but that and "that loving face on your face" are two lines that will randomly pop in my head for no reason.

It's such a dark view of grief and the fallout from a tragedy. Nobody grows, nobody becomes a better person, everyone just retreats into themselves and becomes bitter and awful.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
A24 teasing Midsommar:

https://twitter.com/a24/status/1100410941039042562?s=21

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Just gently caress my poo poo up. Mainline this poo poo right into my veins. I’m wet just speculating about this movie.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I haven’t heard about it. Is there any info out there?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Its a bunch of bullshit Toni Collette wasnt nominated for best actress.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
She won beest actress in the Fangoria Chainsaw Awards, which have much more integrity than the Oscars tbh

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

RCarr posted:

I haven’t heard about it. Is there any info out there?

"A couple travels to Sweden to visit their friend's rural hometown for its fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult."

"Midsommar is a break-up movie that devolves into something much more sinister. This one, however, has no ties to the supernatural, There is a generous amount of psychedelia, though!"

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Doctor Faustine posted:

She won beest actress in the Fangoria Chainsaw Awards, which have much more integrity than the Oscars tbh

The more I learn about the Oscars the more dislike them.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 27, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol, you liked the Oscars at one point?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just watched it, and holy poo poo that was good.

I fell for the misdirect in the advertising, and completely thought they were going to put the grandmother's soul into Charlie. Kind of a Being John Malkovich thing? But wow I'm glad that didn't happen.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Yessss https://youtu.be/I0UWIya-O0s

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is such a good trailer!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hello friends I just recently watched this movie for the first time. I had an excellent spooky time and I enjoyed a lot of the analysis that smart people have written in here.

Gotta say, Peter's sustained shock at the car accident was brilliant, there's no moment of relief for the audience, I stayed on the edge of my seat for who knows how long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCEUDgi9wo&t=522s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

probably alone in this but i found the photo album to be the scariest/creepiest part.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For me it was the grandma appearing near the beginning and the mom up in the corner of the room near the end. I used to experience sleep paralysis/hallucinations at and it reminded me so much of the type poo poo I'd see at night. I know it's not even officially supposed to be sleep paralysis, but it's the first time I've seen a film capture the general vibe of it. Even the documentary about it from a few years ago was stupid as gently caress. But the silence, being able to clearly make something horrifying out in your own bedroom but also it just being aware enough to question how real it is was captured really well in hereditary. I have no doubt that the director has had similar experiences before.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey dead thread bump. Wife and I thought we'd watch it a while back and the creepy dollhouse was perfect for an afternoon movie while the toddler was sleeping.

Got to the bird a minute in and shut it off because 'Nope, no thanks'.

So when I sat down to finish it today, it started RIGHT at that scene and yeah.
I'm pretty sure this gave me a mild anxiety attack (maybe it was the awesome droning background music) because I had to remember to stop clenching my jaw after Charlie hit the pole.

That whole bit until the pained wailing is just masterful.

Definitely thought it was going to be a mental illness thing so the swerve really got me. What an amazing film I can never ever reccommend.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A friend of mine was texting me recently while watching it alone because I had told her it freaked me out. Among her messages was “who is that old guy and where are his pubes?”

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

probably alone in this but i found the photo album to be the scariest/creepiest part.

Years ago, I saw a surrealist photography exhibit. A lot of it was overtly surreal, but there was a couple from one photographer that was nothing more than ordinary objects in rooms, photographed in black and white. I cannot put my finger on why, but everything about the image was so disconcerting. A pile of furniture and random objects shouldn't have that effect, but these absolutely did. The photo album kind of reminded me of that. There's just something so very off with every photo, but it's so hard to point to what it is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

Years ago, I saw a surrealist photography exhibit. A lot of it was overtly surreal, but there was a couple from one photographer that was nothing more than ordinary objects in rooms, photographed in black and white. I cannot put my finger on why, but everything about the image was so disconcerting. A pile of furniture and random objects shouldn't have that effect, but these absolutely did. The photo album kind of reminded me of that. There's just something so very off with every photo, but it's so hard to point to what it is.

The suggestion of something is always going to be more appetizing than the depiction of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

for me it was how mundane it is. it's a bunch of folks in some rec hall having a little party but it's for an absolutely monstrous purpose. it's far scarier to me than if it had looked like some stereotypical black mass setup.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

for me it was how mundane it is. it's a bunch of folks in some rec hall having a little party but it's for an absolutely monstrous purpose. it's far scarier to me than if it had looked like some stereotypical black mass setup.

That's sort of what I was trying to say. It's all mundane and just looks like a slightly goofy party. But there's something off about it that is just out of reach, long before you find out what the deal is. I think I'm going to have to rewatch it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The suggestion of something is always going to be more appetizing than the depiction of it.

I think this is a statement that really applies well to Hereditary in general. A lot of the movie is structured on the fear and dread of a suggestion of something, like the difficult-to-see shape of the grandmother in the dark.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 3, 2019

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Someone I work with just watched this and commented that it's funny to think you would take pictures of your demon ritual key parties and then go get them developed at Walgreens or whatever

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

RichterIX posted:

Someone I work with just watched this and commented that it's funny to think you would take pictures of your demon ritual key parties and then go get them developed at Walgreens or whatever

Probably not the worst thing Walgreen's has had to develop.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Seyser Koze posted:

You see the first photos of old people partying, you start averting your eyes just in case.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Seyser Koze posted:

As a former Walgreens photo department employee, I can confirm this is true!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don’t hold out on us. What was the worst poo poo you developed?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Jordan Peele really liked Midsommar.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

veni veni veni posted:

Don’t hold out on us. What was the worst poo poo you developed?

A guy would come in with a roll of photos of his rear end in a top hat. And he would stand there while I developed them.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

remigious posted:

A guy would come in with a roll of photos of his rear end in a top hat. And he would stand there while I developed them.
His name was Joe Tse or Bo See or something like that.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

remigious posted:

Did this man have a ring by any chance?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Has anyone read the script that was out a few months ago? I read it recently and wanted to hear others' thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just rewatched this for the first time since theaters and it honest to god might be my favorite horror movie. Or at the very least it’s on a very short list.

So hype for midsommer