Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
this is a pretty gripping family drama about grief and mental illness up until poo poo hits the fan. it feels realistic and not overly melodramatic, every character acts rationally but they’re helplessly caught up in something bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

good electric posted:

this is a pretty gripping family drama about grief and mental illness up until poo poo hits the fan. it feels realistic and not overly melodramatic, every character acts rationally but they’re helplessly caught up in something bigger

Kind of like how Predator is a really good action movie until it changes direction at the end of the first act. They actually invest in the initial plot.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
i think it’s interesting they traded having any jump scares and showed some pretty nasty looking gore instead

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

good electric posted:

i think it’s interesting they traded having any jump scares and showed some pretty nasty looking gore instead

There were jump scares, though. It's just that none of them had a musical sting to go along with them, and none of them were part of a patented 'build to a jump scare' sequence of shots. They just happened, which is a big part of why they work so well.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What a fantastic movie! What was with the words on the walls? Why did none of the family comment on them?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RCarr posted:

What a fantastic movie! What was with the words on the walls? Why did none of the family comment on them?

There's a recurring motif of none of the family ever talking to each other, that they all have secrets from one another, right from the first scene. By the same token they have no idea what they're involved with until the last frame. They don't mention it because they don't know they're in a horror film and wouldn't owe any more significance to random scratchings than any of the other poo poo

One really nice touch is that when the son, Peter, sees his possessed reflection, it's exactly the same smug smile his mother describes in their fight at the kitchen table. Even really late in the movie, you're still being wrongfooted. At that point,
I thought it was just Peter going crazy, having inherited her mother's mental illness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Kudos to Hereditary for having not one but THREE scenes where a high school teacher lectures their students about the themes of the film. Toni Collette owned in this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Kudos to Hereditary for having not one but THREE scenes where a high school teacher lectures their students about the themes of the film. Toni Collette owned in this.

I thought it did that well. You can see the connection if you're looking for it but it doesn't rub your nose in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don't get me wrong, I love that poo poo.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
What a movie. I felt the first slow-burning half had a really eerie mix of raw tragedy and dark comedy (or the people in my theater were laughing uncomfortably and I got into that mood too). But the completely batshit crazy second half had me just open mouthed. I thought they had almost forgot the grandma plotline for a time and then they tie everything up. Also I really liked those close-ups of Toni Collette looking just absolutely terrified seemed really old school horror to me, like from a 70's movie, although I can't recall exactly where I've seen that before. And it's the first feature film by the director! Just awesome.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

elpaganoescapa posted:

I really liked those close-ups of Toni Collette looking just absolutely terrified seemed really old school horror to me, like from a 70's movie, although I can't recall exactly where I've seen that before. And it's the first feature film by the director! Just awesome.

reminded me a lot of shelly duvall in the shining, at points. showing reaction shots rather than carnage at the point of maximum horror (peter's drive home) really helped sell the tone of it all

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

alf_pogs posted:

reminded me a lot of shelly duvall in the shining, at points. showing reaction shots rather than carnage at the point of maximum horror (peter's drive home) really helped sell the tone of it all

That is exactly it! Thank you. Shelly Duvall and the kid looking just horrified and with their mouths wide open. What a great source to take from.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I like a movie that almost directly asks the audience to think about if the upcoming events are more tragic if they could be prevented or if it was all fated.

Random question: Do you think the Grandmother was always in the cult or do you think it was a more recent thing? Like, irrc the photos in her cult photo album were all of her in her old age. to me this question actually matters because it either makes it a movie where the Grandmother was loving poo poo up all of Annie's life and every thing she perceived as mental was part of some grad scheme or it's a movie where a mentally ill old woman who had her husband and son die and her daughter flee from her got taken in by a cult who told her she was a Queen and had her bring herself back into her daughter's life to get to her children.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

I like a movie that almost directly asks the audience to think about if the upcoming events are more tragic if they could be prevented or if it was all fated.

Random question: Do you think the Grandmother was always in the cult or do you think it was a more recent thing? Like, irrc the photos in her cult photo album were all of her in her old age. to me this question actually matters because it either makes it a movie where the Grandmother was loving poo poo up all of Annie's life and every thing she perceived as mental was part of some grad scheme or it's a movie where a mentally ill old woman who had her husband and son die and her daughter flee from her got taken in by a cult who told her she was a Queen and had her bring herself back into her daughter's life to get to her children.

It was happening since always. There's the story about Toni Collette's brother hanging himself when they were teenagers because creepy grandma was trying to "get people inside him" and when her daughter was born, her grandma "always said she wanted a boy", so, she was in the cult since forever

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

glam rock hamhock posted:

I was actually wondering that a little while ago myself, if all the hosed up poo poo that happened to Annie's mom that she talks about in the grief counseling group wasn't because of mental illness, it was because the mom was in a fuckin' witch cult.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

You know what this film reminded me of a bit? Kill List

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

elpaganoescapa posted:

when her daughter was born, her grandma "always said she wanted a boy", so, she was in the cult since forever

This was the sole question I had about the plot Since she already had a son, and Paimon needed a male host or whatever, why did it need to be in Charlie first? The best I could figure out was it had something to do with being passed down via the grandmother's breastfeeding of her granddaughter?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blast Fantasto posted:

This was the sole question I had about the plot Since she already had a son, and Paimon needed a male host or whatever, why did it need to be in Charlie first? The best I could figure out was it had something to do with being passed down via the grandmother's breastfeeding of her granddaughter?

How exactly does this work?

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

I think this is partially answered by Annie earlier when she says that when her son was born she was totally estranged and kept him away from her mother, but when Charlie was born she felt she "owed" her mother a relationship with Charlie (or at least access to Charlie) out of some kind of guilt/blame. I guess by the time they made up she couldn't get to Peter or he was not ready/available for Paimon. I think that's one of the sticking points for me as well.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

trip9 posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that this film, Kill List and The Wicker Man all belong to the same mini-genre of "people have had all their lives controlled by some cult for a nefarious ultimate purpose

I hope I did the spoilers right because it's the first time I do them

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

alf_pogs posted:

the drive home from the moment they get in the car until the grave lowers into the ground is as close to perfection as filmmaking gets. it is an absolutely stellar depiction of grief and guilt and terror and depression and both times I watched it everyone in the theater (whether it was a half-full theater or just me and my co-workers) was dead fuckin' silent, eyes wide, with the exception of gasps when Charlie hits the pole and the head is revealed

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

trip9 posted:

I thought so too, as well as The Witch and Rosemary's Baby or any movie where the cultists win I guess.

I really loved the shot of the two headless corpses bowing down to the giant mannequin with the girl's crowned head on top very original in a movie that otherwise draws heavily from other horror films.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Quasipox posted:

I think this is partially answered by Annie earlier when she says that when her son was born she was totally estranged and kept him away from her mother, but when Charlie was born she felt she "owed" her mother a relationship with Charlie (or at least access to Charlie) out of some kind of guilt/blame. I guess by the time they made up she couldn't get to Peter or he was not ready/available for Paimon. I think that's one of the sticking points for me as well.

That's not a partial answer, that's exactly it. When Annie's looking through her mom's stuff the second time, one of the things mentioned about Paimon is that he goes for the most vulnerable person around. They missed their initial shot at Peter because they didn't have access when he was a kid, so gave it a try with Charlie but oops girl so Paimon's unhappy. Plan C was breaking Peter down until he was infant-level fragile again. We know from what happened to Annie's brother that they've been attempting this and not quite getting it right for a while now.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
What an incredibly effective movie - haven't stopped thinking about it since I left the theater. Of all the hosed up imagery in this thing, the shot that stuck with me most (other than the final shot, which was perfection) is the portrait of the grandmother they used for her funeral. Something was just...off enough about it that it really disturbed me. It's incredible that a character who gets no dialogue or really any camera time can just seem to linger over the whole movie. And what an ending.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
What I love about this movie is it is full-on psychological warfare. If you buy into what it's trying to sell at the beginning, it grips you and doesn't let you go. The music and performances and sweeping cinematography engrossed me, leaving me incredibly vulnerable as things slowly started to collapse. I'm a fairly perceptive viewer who loves to scan the screen for little clues, and this is a movie where doing that just utterly fucks you up, as you're seeing the little cracks in the margins that expose the true damage before it lands. The little things start building. I don't do horror well, so I yelled out loud the very first time there's an apparition in the background of a shot, and by the time Peter is smoking out the window, and just off-screen, there's a secondary source of smoke you don't see making things even hazier - an unwelcome, unnoticed addition of more smoke making the shot impossible - I was just utterly hosed. I remember I couldn't sleep right for five days after The Exorcist due to the subliminal imagery, and the little cuts and clues and subliminal shots in this film kept me up last night. And just the overwhelming gripping sensation of fear and dread it creates, too. I was so engrossed in the allergy attack at the party - as someone who recently developed deadly food allergies, it was disturbingly true to life how Charlie's condition disintegrated - that I was completely unaware of what was going to happen next.

How about Alex Wolff in this movie, too. The drive home. The dead-eyed stare. The refusal to accept what's going on. Annie's unassuming joy turning into gut-wrenching despair. The whole thing happens completely bloodlessly.

And then, just when you need a break, bam, gently caress you, you're seeing the worst of it.

edit: My one question/red herring: When Annie tries to burn the book, she starts to light on fire, showing that the seance tied her to Charlie's spirit. But when she tries to get Steve to burn the book, she burns it and yet Steve is the one who goes up in flames. She orchestrated things, she added the paint thinner, why did he engulf? did Paimon simply require her body to enact the possession?

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 9, 2018

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

CRINDY posted:

edit: My one question/red herring: When Annie tries to burn the book, she starts to light on fire, showing that the seance tied her to Charlie's spirit. But when she tries to get Steve to burn the book, she burns it and yet Steve is the one who goes up in flames. She orchestrated things, she added the paint thinner, why did he engulf? did Paimon simply require her body to enact the possession?

This is one of the annoying open-ended aspects for me. It could have been a trick by the demon to get her to kill Steve. Or it could be that the book is tied to every family member since they did the seance, and if they're in proximity to the book being damaged it can 'choose' who receives that damage. In this case, since Steve is the most expendable (he isn't a part of the bloodline) he gets taken out first.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The logic of the book-burning isn't clear, but I don't give a poo poo because between it and Toni Collette going full deadite afterwards, that whole climax was a fantastic bit of homage to Evil Dead.

Edit: there's even some Good Ash/Evil Ash action with Peter. gently caress, this movie rules! But also, gently caress this movie's rules.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 9, 2018

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Sorry, I never paid attention in high school. We saw Peter in class 3 times, and i assumed the teacher's lecture tied in to the story thematicly, i just have no idea what that tie in was.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I've liked Toni Collette since Muriel's Wedding and think she's a fantastic and great actress. This movie was excellent for the reasons described, very well done and balanced. Hereditary implying the passed down schizophrenia or pain or sins of parents, etc. and the family drama vs the supernatural stuff was well done.

Hopefully I have this right.

Grandma was in a cult. She was host to a demon/devil and worshiped. Demon wants a male host, however. Toni Collette ran away from home when young, probably to get away from all of that. However, her brother and father died/were killed probably trying to get the demon to take into the son, Toni Collette's brother. That they were trying to "put people inside him." Toni Collette marries, has a son, is estranged to her mother, but then returns and in a strange sense of owe she "gives" her daughter to her Grandmother, who wanted a son/grandson. Peter is old by this time, not vulnerable so he could not be possessed. Charley is, she is then host and has ticks like the clicking and the head fetish. The theme being, the mother breast fed her/raised her just as Toni Collette was the mother too in a sense. Toni Collette says she didn't want her son, she did everything to get rid of the pregnancy but it just wouldn't happen. And though sleepwalking and psychologically impared, she tried to kill her son perhaps subconsciously to prevent a possession. However, time passes.

All this time, Charley was possessed by the demon. They were raising her and it. Grandma was watching and taking care of her. She slept outside the house. Charley asks "Who will take care of me?" after Grandma dies. Toni says "I will" and then she asks "When you're gone?" and she says "Peter will." that's the demon also asking what's going to become of it. Peter has the accident, Charley is dead. The Demon's spirit is released. The cult gets back in touch with Toni Collette. There's a seance. Demon's connection is back with the family and the possession can begin again. All three are connected somehow. The cult returns, sets things up, the demon possesses, and Peter is now host. Peter even does the symbolic hand position when he hallucinates the light and before he smacks his head on the desk of the demon.

The balance to this with Peter Gabriel's psychiatrist as a good man worn down trying to manage family and keep them in reality is really well performed. Toni and he do a great job of acting and the script/story is very well done too on this. Passing on mental illness, behavior and coping mechanisms/learnings, tendencies, etc. The tension of the real world. People behave somewhat rationally or sensically and aren't "idiotic" for the sake of moving the script like other horror movies.

I think everyone knocked it out of the park. A24 is a good studio.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 9, 2018

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw it and thought it was really well done. I'm a pretty big horror fan, but the movie made me leave the theater with a kind of gross feeling in my stomach so I'm not sure if I'll see it a second time (but it might be worth it some time just to catch things that you missed the first time). The length of the movie was perfect, and the amount of background family drama was enough to give you a good idea the kind feelings they had for each other had been building up before the movie. I suggest watching the movie with another person.

Scary! fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 9, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gatts posted:

Grandma was in a cult. She was host to a demon/devil and worshiped..

I don't think grandma herself was possessed by the demon. I think she was just trying to conjure it for a long time. She killed her family failing to get it done, then moved on to her daughter's. Not that it matters that much.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Annie's headless body floating up into the treehouse got laughs in my theater.

There's no way that wasn't meant to be funny

Pretty much everything from Dad catching fire to the end of the credits had random laughter here and there.

Then the credits started and people went "what the gently caress?"

But seriously. Went in expecting a haunted house, thought I was getting a white woman's nervous breakdown, and then it ended up being just a satanic cult. Unless I'm really missing something it felt like something that could have just been dumped on Amazon or Netflix. Hell I've seen movies on those that were spookier and felt less all over the place.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gatts posted:

The balance to this with Peter Gabriel's psychiatrist

I mean, if that's how you interpret the movie in your eyes

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
I saw this for the second time last night and honestly it was more horrifying knowing what was going to happen ahead of time and being able to catch more creepy poo poo hidden in each frame. The director is amazing at shot composition, watch some of his short films for more of that.

My one question is if everything was set up ahead of time, every thing that happens is part of a larger conspiracy to get Paimon into Peter, was Charlie's allergic reaction at the party also planned? And if so does that mean the girl Peter was crushing on was in on it too?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Blast Fantasto posted:

I mean, if that's how you interpret the movie in your eyes

...poo poo...lol

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Planet Piss posted:

I saw this for the second time last night and honestly it was more horrifying knowing what was going to happen ahead of time and being able to catch more creepy poo poo hidden in each frame. The director is amazing at shot composition, watch some of his short films for more of that.

My one question is if everything was set up ahead of time, every thing that happens is part of a larger conspiracy to get Paimon into Peter, was Charlie's allergic reaction at the party also planned? And if so does that mean the girl Peter was crushing on was in on it too?

I don't feel that was planned. I think it happened and provided an opportunity.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gatts posted:

The decap was planned though, there was the symbol carved into the post. So I guess something like that was expected to happen via some kind of chaos magic?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Gatts posted:

I haven't been able to confirm this but someone on another forum said the girl chopping nuts is one of the cultists you see toward the end of the movie. That might be total bullshit though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I haven't been able to confirm this but someone on another forum said the girl chopping nuts is one of the cultists you see toward the end of the movie. That might be total bullshit though.

so is peter's history teacher. no bullshit!

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

alf_pogs posted:

so is peter's history teacher. no bullshit!

I swear I saw this dude at the end. Good to know I’m not alone.