Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rate the Thread!
This poll is closed.
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
7 100.00%
Total: 7 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TFW the Star Control 2 guys finally decide to make a real sequel but "Beekeeper" Brad Wardell owns the rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

e: wrong thread

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

goferchan posted:

This is a goon project

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wormskull posted:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0nqRk9DxU4p Laughed like this when I saw this.

Looking forward to the Skyrim port that lets me throw fireballs with this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TXEUiR1Xk

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6nEq75mr0

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Duke Nukem: Three sinners in three mouths? Sounds like my bachelor party

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have one of these from my parents house with a bunch of cartridges and trying to sell it has been a huge pain lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jfc

e: lmao https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDraw_GameTablet#Games

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The thing that sticks out in my memory most about this (aside from almost totally killing Squaresoft and forcing the Enix merge) was how they tried to make the girl some kind of ‘virtual celebrity’ and have her do news interviews with anchors and playboy shoots and crap.

I remember Roz from Frasier was in it as some kind of super-soldier, but she just sounded like Roz, so I kept expecting Donald Sutherland to make jokes about how much of a slut she was or w/e

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ahahaha

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This was weirdly good and it even had a DS port

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Finty Flush in particular had some good music and was a fun couple of hours.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

There was a very very brief window of time when this was the most popular and talked about game in the world

Even my mother played this, lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the Wii Fit was like the Brain Age for consoles, it was the thing that a bunch of Boomers bought

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

[like a parent hearing abuot a fight at school] that better not be Richard Garriott!

lol, this made me wonder what he is up to, and he's still making loving Ultima games, except EA owns the rights to the name so theyre called something else.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

can't wait for Ubisoft's Roguelike adaptation of Henry David Thoreau's Walden, with the book included with the game disc.

maybe my kids will be able to get all their summer reading for school done through AAA Prestige releases.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

A Walden game already got published for PS4 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden,_a_game

lol

English Teacher: Okay, it's time for your summer video game reports.

Class suck-up: I went with a historical classic:

Class activist: Uh, actually, I prefer to challenge what belongs in the Western canon :smug: :

Kid sitting in the back that in people will say "He was always so quiet" about : ...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I own it and the expansion packs. On two platforms.

I reinstalled it several times and one time had to call EA to get my legal copy to work. I'm pretty sure if you gave it to 10 people now, maybe 1 of them woul dbe able to get it to actually work such that you could play through the entire game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I spent way too much time beating the SNES Jurassic Park.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

that game was almosy impossible because it was long with maze like fps sections while not letting you save or having passwords so you had to do it all in one run lol

yeah i only beat it on an emulator and only so I could vindicate the frustration of my child-self because it's extremely not worth it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

yeah i only beat it on an emulator and only so I could vindicate the frustration of my child-self because it's extremely not worth it

same with Drakkhen, the weird 2 and 1/2D SNES RPG that was impossible to navigate or understand and continuously made terrifying vomiting noises

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never heard of this but I'm reading about it and it seems insane.

It was an Amiga game first which explains a lot.

Yeah, it was clearly designed for a mouse, and while you're trying to figure out what the picture of the lips does or even how you select it (because there's no documentation) a giant weird Star Fox shadow thing making laser barf noises just kills you in about 30 seconds. i beat it (using a walkthrough, i'm sure) and i literally don't remember the ending or understand anything that happened at all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Drakkhen was developed by a French team, which was then translated into Japanese for the Super Famicon, which was then translated to English and further rewritten with help from the original French developers. To exemplify the telephone effect of all this, the original game contained a French translation of an Emily Dickenson poem as quoted by a mysterious teleporting wizard, and that French translation of an English poem was then translated further into Japanese for the Super Famicon version, and then translated again back into English from Japanese. The version of Miss Dickenson's poem that survived into the SNES version of the game is almost unrecognizable and difficult to comprehend.

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Another notorious enemy is the powerful "Shadow Man", a tall, dark figure that would unexpectedly emerge from the ground, accompanied by an ominous tune. Fighting this monster at an early point of the game meant certain death, which may cause confusion among new players.

seriously, get this on an emulator so you can experience it in real time with the hosed up sound effects, it's a uniquely bizarre game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have a full set of all SNES roms on my Wii, I'll play some and report back.

you might not meet the darkman or w/e, I think there's a weird dungeon you have to get through first with this weird lizard who yells a bunch of puzzle stuff at you that leaves most people scratching their heads about what theyre suppsed to do

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's probably a Dostoevsky passage about a key by way of a Japanese translator or something

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This game's US localization made some minor tweaks to gameplay that buffs all the monsters which makes it super-hard to play for most of it, with a huge difficulty spike when you get to the point that one of the seven apprentices turns out to have betrayed you, but it gets almost impossible right at the end of the game, when you get the seven runes and the game reveals the twist. it's hard to beat even with an emulator, they broke it that badly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also: iirc, the game plot is that a king sends you to get the seven runes because he is old and dying, and he needs you to get them to defeat some bad guy. the twist is that when you get the seven runes, you get sent hundreds of years into the past and they take away all of the runes (which you learn to depend on for stuff like healing), and you try to beat the bad guy in the past, but only seal him away, then, after hundreds of years, you become the king from the beginning. that's the good ending.

it's a really good and interesting game with mechanical problems right up until you get the 7th rune.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

7th Saga is actually playable. It's just weird and hard.

it's super-not playable when you get to the end. the localization team totally hosed up and basically just stuck a multiplier in all of the game's numbers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like, i beat both Drakhen and SNES Jurassic Park, but i lost patience with 7th Saga. my brother got so into it that he briefly joined SA as Doros (there's a town where everyone says "Hail Doros!"), but like, in what should be the last 5% of the game, the need to grind increases so exponentially that he hacked the ROM to level his characters so that he could see the ending.

Seventh Saga is like in the Illusion of Gaia sphere of weird and awesome SNES RPGs, you just unfortunately can't be expected to finish it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I don’t know if D3 or Spore was a bigger letdown to me. I think I idolized Will Wright more than Jay Wilson at the time and D3 is less cynical...

I still want a version of Spore that's good. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

you were right