Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Edit: This is now a :wow: :pusheen: MSPAINT MEMES THREAD! Draw memes that won't get Lowtax sued in Europe in MSPaint, go go go!

Nurge posted:

You'll never catch me, coppers.

==================
Original OP:

New European copyright law may prevent people from uploading images if the base image is copyrighted. There's a lot here to unpack, especially since this is far outside my experience of "FREE SPEECH ALL THE TIME NO MATTER WHAT (Nazis are OK too)" as an American. It seems like it goes a bit far to me what with the bit about not even being able to photocopy memes.

But really...would the world Europe be worse off without memes like these? (Controversial opinion here, I know, considering this is the home of IMPACT FONT -> COPYRIGHTED IMAGE -> IMPACT FONT)

quote:

A new copyright law from the European Union would lead to the banning of memes on the internet, campaigners are warning.

The EU Copyright Directive intends to protect the intellectual property rights of people who upload their material to the internet.

However, campaigners are warning the law will require "all content uploaded to the internet to be monitored and potentially deleted if a likeness to existing copyright is protected".

The campaign against a particular provision of the directive, Article 13, warns that online platforms would be economically damaged if they were forced to comply with its expensive obligations.

The law would "destroy the internet as we know it" warn the campaigners, who add it would "allow big companies to control what we see and do online".

Essentially, the campaigners are arguing the stringent copyright protections of Article 13 would damage the sharing of parody content and memes which, while themselves being original and creative works, are often developed from other people's original content.

Memes including image macros - such as the stock photograph of a distracted boyfriend taken by photographer Antonio Guillem - are often shared without the approval of the copyright holder.

The campaign follows an open letter sent by academics from intellectual property research centres in Europe regarding the copyright directive.

The allegations have been robustly rejected by the European Commission.

Introducing the legislative drive in 2016, European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker said he wanted "journalists, publishers and authors to be paid fairly for their work".

The copyright protections would apply to that work "whether it is made in studios or living rooms, whether it is disseminated offline or online, whether it is published via a copying machine or commercially hyperlinked on the web."

In response to the campaign, a European Commission spokesperson told Sky News: "The idea behind our copyright proposals is that people should be able to make a living from their creative ideas.

"The proposals to modernise EU copyright provisions will not harm freedom of expression on the internet.

"They take into account technological developments that have already been introduced by some of the major players and which help in two ways.

"Firstly, they help to inform authors when their works are used online and to prevent that these works are used by major online platforms without their author's consent.

"Secondly, such technological developments help to ensure the author's fair remuneration for their work."

https://news.sky.com/story/memes-will-be-banned-under-new-eu-copyright-law-warn-campaigners-11398577

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

EU more like PU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Monstrous. Just when I thought Europe couldn't get any worse.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It'll be hilarious watching them try to enforce that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Don't post memes and you'll live -- at least a while. And posting in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell the EU that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our memes

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
*extremely cyberpunk villain uploading conservative frog memes to imgur via vpn and at least 17 web proxies*

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Haha, I swear the EU becomes more and more insane every week

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

internet needs to be killed, leave like wikipedia and maybe some real places to get information

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
at first they came for the memes--

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

The Dennis System posted:

Monstrous. Just when I thought Europe couldn't get any worse.

Angelwolf posted:

Haha, I swear the EU becomes more and more insane every week

did i miss some recent euronews or something?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
In practice this is almost certainly going to be completely toothless like how personal VCRs were illegal in Australia until they were basically obsolete

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Jose Mengelez posted:

did i miss some recent euronews or something?

Not that I know of. I just thought it would be funny to insult Europe.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Just make the official pronounciation 'may-may'.
The problem will sort itself out.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wonder how much time and money will be wasted on this instead of giving us full communism now

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
if you outlaw memes. then only outlaws will have memes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah this don't mean poo poo.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm going to be a meme smuggler

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
zut alors, who wants to buy some of zese igh quality memes? quickly, before the loving gendarmes get here!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Dennis System posted:

Not that I know of. I just thought it would be funny to insult Europe.

it works, comedy's about punching up

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Seem to be a very resource wasting law and will more IT companies out of EU.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
*front door gets kicked in by the meme gestapo*

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Avirosb posted:

Just make the official pronounciation 'may-may'.
The problem will sort itself out.

Personally I pronounce it like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdd4rBlsj2o&t=28s

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
i cant wait for those dank bootleg memes. and meme speakeasies, or "memeasies"

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

down n out fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 10, 2018

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Memes using copyrighted material are technically speaking already infringements. Infinitely nothing will change.

Like the EU isn't even banning memes as a thing, people are just scaremongering that new copyright legislation might inadvertently hit memes. It won't lmao. Just like how I could go on youtube and download a 90 minute music album for free if I wanted to, even though that's illegal right now.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

lol.

I hope this passes and they are forced to nationalize the entirety of the EU Internet so it can be very heavily policed for content.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Nurge posted:

That doesn’t look like an original character to me. I just reported you to Europol.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Europe and the UK are honestly dangerous to the internet with their latest bullshit.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

Europe and the UK are honestly dangerous to the internet with their latest bullshit.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I know you're supposed to feel empathy for human beings and all that but would any of you do anything but get popcorn if Pai was being drawn and quartered on live TV?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Using copyrighted content without permission is already illegal in most countries.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Psst.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
I was a remainer but now I'm GLAD we're leaving the EU! :britain:

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Begun the meme wars have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN