Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
So you saw the trailers for Upgrade and you think it looks like a somewhat goofy Sci-Fi action revenge fantasy with fight choreography that looks like it was lifted from a Jackie Chan flick. "Might be fun, but looks pretty breezy" you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T_GmJKEke0

You're wrong. Upgrade is diamond hard sci-fi, but telling you what the movie is really about is a spoiler so I'll only mention it at the bottom of this post in black bars. Just suffice to say that the movie is well written, the cinematography is brilliant at getting across the notion that the protagonist is a puppet on a string, and the "twist" at the end isn't a twist at all, but a terrible realization that the movie has been building up to for the final two acts. And yeah, the fight choreography does owe a bit to Jackie Chan and the Matrix, but it's quite well done without being completely ridiculous.

Go see Upgrade. This movie deserves your money.

Upgrade is actually a sci fi horror movie about the Singularity. The ending is almost on the same level as "I have no mouth and I must scream"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
This thread is completely the truth. I was going in hoping for a little Crank-ish crazy action movie and instead it turned out to be a real sci-fi movie with solid action and some gore. It's kind of criminal that it has no real advertising so theaters are empty because nobody realizes it exists.

Caros
May 14, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

So you saw the trailers for Upgrade and you think it looks like a somewhat goofy Sci-Fi action revenge fantasy with fight choreography that looks like it was lifted from a Jackie Chan flick. "Might be fun, but looks pretty breezy" you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T_GmJKEke0

You're wrong. Upgrade is diamond hard sci-fi, but telling you what the movie is really about is a spoiler so I'll only mention it at the bottom of this post in black bars. Just suffice to say that the movie is well written, the cinematography is brilliant at getting across the notion that the protagonist is a puppet on a string, and the "twist" at the end isn't a twist at all, but a terrible realization that the movie has been building up to for the final two acts. And yeah, the fight choreography does owe a bit to Jackie Chan and the Matrix, but it's quite well done without being completely ridiculous.

Go see Upgrade. This movie deserves your money.

Upgrade is actually a sci fi horror movie about the Singularity. The ending is almost on the same level as "I have no mouth and I must scream"

I've been fence sitting on going to see it, but I think I will go this week.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I liked it a lot, but was wondering in retrospect why did STEM have safeguards in the first place which needed to be overwritten by the hacker person? Was it the tech billionaire's attempt to subvert STEM's influence? That bit seemed kinda odd, like, ok, the billionaire dude was taking orders from STEM but designed the chip with limitations because...? I suppose we are just suppose to presume that it was a sort of last ditch effort to subvert STEM's wishes but I had trouble reconciling it all. Also pretty weird that billionaire dude seemed genuinely surprised with the "It talks to you..?" Seems nonsensical in retrospect- was a fun trick to obfuscate details while it was playing out, but doesn't hold up after the fact

Film had some pretty excellent setup & direction. The whole opening act was genuinely heartbreaking.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 11, 2018

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Trash Trick posted:

I liked it a lot, but was wondering in retrospect why did STEM have safeguards in the first place which needed to be overwritten by the hacker person? Was it the tech billionaire's attempt to subvert STEM's influence? That bit seemed kinda odd, like, ok, the billionaire dude was taking orders from STEM but designed the chip with limitations because...? I suppose we are just suppose to presume that it was a sort of last ditch effort to subvert STEM's wishes but I had trouble reconciling it all. Also pretty weird that billionaire dude seemed genuinely surprised with the "It talks to you..?" Seems nonsensical in retrospect- was a fun trick to obfuscate details while it was playing out, but doesn't hold up after the fact

My take it that STEM was created then gained awareness without the rich dude knowing and took over his company then somehow blackmailed/extorted the guy into not shutting him down then manipulated him into finding a body and putting him into it. So the rich guy was just being used by STEM and never knew exactly was going on and definitely did not know STEM intended to come kill him and all the other witnesses.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ok here I am in the theater waiting for it to start.

Let's see if you.fuckers lied to me.

Edit - it didn't suck.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 11, 2018

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
This looks really fun, nice to see Robocop get some good sequels after all!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress, I'm gonna so see this tomorrow first thing.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The artistic style reminded me of Highlander, of all things.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

GORDON posted:

The artistic style reminded me of Highlander, of all things.

I don't see it.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Hm, I don't know... I did enjoy it, but I was pretty thrown off by the pretty poor script and acting at times. It's a movie made for cool .gifs and will probably be a cult classic. Also, it cost 5m! I told my friend after we finished, "Script by Tommy Wiseau, directed by Paul Verhoeven, story by David Cronenberg." Actually, that sounds awesome when I put it that way: go see it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Trash Trick posted:

Film had some pretty excellent setup & direction. The whole opening act was genuinely heartbreaking.

Yeah, I think it was that STEM was under the radar to start because it couldn't exactly let the human know the grand plan. I do think it was a collaborator with its human before that and he had grown comfortable following it's lead. And I think he built in safeguards with a touch of caution as well although I imagine he saw this as just another one of the dozens of inventions STEM had created for him.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Movie owns, hosed up people aren't seeing it. I really enjoyed it, I'm a bit iffy at the twist at the end and wish they did more of it. Even if it was just a montage of STEM takes over Gray's body -> STEM cleans himself up, dons a suit, becomes the public facing CEO of the company -> STEM runs for President, takes over the world, enslaves all of humanity that would have been a nice payoff. Overall I highly reccomend it and I'd love to see them do more in that universe.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

I don't see it.

Honestly, I don't have the words to explain it. I think it had a lot to do with the way music was often overlaid in various scenes. Reminded me of Highlander, which I actually saw in the theater way back in the 80's.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Did you like Ex Machina? Do you like blood?

Congrats, you will enjoy Upgrade.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
MOTHER FUCKER the movie got bumped out of theaters already. I was planning on taking a trip into the Boston area and seeing it this evening but it's not playing anywhere remotely nearby anymore.

Jeez, it was barely playing for 2 weeks.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Caught this last night and really enjoyed it. The weird camera movements indicating STEM had control, the uncanny and inhuman way not-Tom Hardy controlled his movements especially at the end. It was unsettling. Definitely recommending this to my friends.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Update on Upgrade: I managed to catch it last night, I had to drive further than I wanted but it was only an hour away from the butcher shop where I was buying steaks for fathers day anyways, plus theater was 6 bucks and it was on a nice DTS sound system and those huge recliner seats with the swivel tables. So that was cool.

Also the movie was quite rad! I actually wish they had used those weird mechanical STEM-controlled camera movements more, they were very slick and it was a great way to portray a computer chip taking over a persons movement. Very imaginative sci-fi stuff as well, the advertisements definitely don't do it justice

Taintrunner posted:

Movie owns, hosed up people aren't seeing it. I really enjoyed it, I'm a bit iffy at the twist at the end and wish they did more of it. Even if it was just a montage of STEM takes over Gray's body -> STEM cleans himself up, dons a suit, becomes the public facing CEO of the company -> STEM runs for President, takes over the world, enslaves all of humanity that would have been a nice payoff. Overall I highly reccomend it and I'd love to see them do more in that universe.

Yea, I also think they should have done a bit more to show STEM's malevolent machinations. Maybe STEM should have offered Grey some powerful position somehow, like "You know, together we could start one of the most powerful companies in the world..." Just something to show STEM's sights were set a bit higher than helping one man walk again.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Tumble posted:

..." Just something to show STEM's sights were set a bit higher than helping one man walk again.

I think the real takeaway is that STEM had learned how to take collaboration out of the equation and use humans as blissfully unaware meat vehicles. He doesn't even need to trick the next one, just put them in a dopamine matrix dream immediately and take over. I think the whole point of the experiment was to take the man out of the man and machine interface, like his dismissal of the cyborgs as half measures. Proper singularity.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 17, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite small detail in the film was whenever Stem talked, his voice was projected from the front speakers, and always at the front. It was a cool effect that sold his presence for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I didn't realize Leigh Whannel directed this, and I'm now even more impressed.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Saw this today. Really enjoyed it, especially the AI-assisted fighting and the cinematography they used during those sequences.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well I was gonna pass but if its a case of the advertising loving over the movie Im all in, Ill watch it after work.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Yeah the trailers really made this seem super goofy and didn't do the movie justice. Even though I am a cyberpunk fanatic I almost didn't see it in theatres.

It's definitely got some sloppy writing and could have used a real standout action sequence, but the design of the world is cool (particularly Aaron's house), and the camera moves and voice for STEM were awesome and handled very well.

Tom Hardy is great in this as well. I love how he's all slouchy at the start of the movie compared to how he moves while using STEM.

Also I am really glad they had the balls to do that ending.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That wasn’t Tom Hardy dawg:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

That wasn’t Tom Hardy dawg:

It was.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I mean you say that, but has anyone ever seen Tom Hardy and Logan Marshall-Green in the same room together?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Blisster posted:

I mean you say that, but has anyone ever seen Tom Hardy and Logan Marshall-Green in the same room together?

I thought it was just the beard, but then I did a google image search for Logan Marshall-Green and I laughed because I legit thought the first results were all just pictures of Tom Hardy. Should have got him to play the other brother in that Kray twins movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also I had pictured Hardy as a clearly bigger dude than Marshall-Green, but it turns out he's actually a few inches shorter. He's just had a few roles where he really beefed up so I think of him as bigger but I'm pretty sure Hardy doesn't walk around looking like Bronson in his every day life.

There's been some times when Hardy has had short buzz-cut hair with a beard, and in those instances it really looks like the two are clones.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if you have moviepass you have no excuses not to watch this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, it’s long since out of theaters so there’s a pretty decent excuse.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I thought it was the dude from the new Robocop.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

By the way, if any y'all were digging Logan Marshall-Green in this, check out The Invitation on Netflix. It's pretty dece.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I thought it was the dude from the new Robocop.

loving goon face blindness.

Good movie, though.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Fart City posted:

By the way, if any y'all were digging Logan Marshall-Green in this, check out The Invitation on Netflix. It's pretty dece.

Oh yeah that one is pretty good. Might have to rewatch it soon.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I tried to see this a week or so ago but this poo poo was out of theaters faster than the last Fantastic Four movie. Guess I'll try to catch it on redbox if people think it's good

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah this was literally playing for a single week out in the sticks where I live, I tried to catch it but the only showtime the local Regal had that wasn’t blocked off by my work schedule was blocked off by a line of people so long it went out the doors because everyone was trying to see Incredibles 2 on all-day matinee. I basically wouldn’t have been able to see it unless I had the foresight to show up 45 minutes ahead of showtime.

I will 100% be Redboxing it though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
cant wait for sequel Upgrade 2.0: STEM Education

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

Fart City posted:

Yeah I quite liked that one, evem though I spent half of it saying "is that Tom Hardy or not?" to myself.

Pretty sure Upgrade was only playing for about a week here as well. I caught it on one of the last possible days. I hope it makes some money cause I would love to see some more mid-budget sci fi stuff coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a blumhouse movie so it made money and there will be more low budget flicks on the way.