Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Honestly this movie was boring the poo poo out of me until he broke into that guys house, then I was 100% on board.

You must get bored during a lot of movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
It just sets up the bulk of the plot at the start and once it gets going it gets gooooing.

Not a perfect movie by any means but an excellent movie for such a small budget and better than quite a few of the big budget messes that came out this year.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
noticing how stilted mr. rich boy was and learning later why was a pretty good setup

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The beginning before poo poo really pops off is a bit slow, yeah, though the title card is so unabashedly sci-fi that I never had issues giving it the benefit of the doubt for that long.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

The beginning before poo poo really pops off is a bit slow, yeah, though the title card is so unabashedly sci-fi that I never had issues giving it the benefit of the doubt for that long.

It didn't feel slow to me because I was really enjoying learning about the world and what it's like. I thought the opening was pretty great, how it's just the main character in his garage and you could assume that it's just a regular guy in 2018 working on his car. Then he steps outside...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nothing about this movie is slow (In fact if I have one complaint it's that it needed about 20 more minutes of breathing room). The first act is a typically-structured narrative setup, and its pacing is in step with the rest of the film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Slow is the wrong word, yeah. More formulaic and less original, so I found it less interesting - I’ve met these characters before - but the pacing isn’t the issue.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This movie just makes me really wish basic cable was what it was in the late 90s, because this would absolutely have found a new lease on life on FX or on weekends on Sci-Fi Channel.

e: I don't mean this as an insult at all, by the way- I'm putting it in equal company to, like, The Road Warrior and Army of Darkness and Highlander and Aliens. It's not necessarily one of the best movies ever made, but it's sure as poo poo in the "I want to have fun and not think about how bullshit my life is" canon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This movie just makes me really wish basic cable was what it was in the late 90s, because this would absolutely have found a new lease on life on FX or on weekends on Sci-Fi Channel.

e: I don't mean this as an insult at all, by the way- I'm putting it in equal company to, like, The Road Warrior and Army of Darkness and Highlander and Aliens. It's not necessarily one of the best movies ever made, but it's sure as poo poo in the "I want to have fun and not think about how bullshit my life is" canon.

That might still happen to a certain degree, I think if this movie showed up on Netflix you'd see word of mouth reach another level from what it had during it's theatre run.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah this just needs to get out into the wide world, then it will do great.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spatulater bro! posted:

You must get bored during a lot of movies.

Not really, it just felt like the first act was going through a check list until the interesting stuff happened.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Saw it tonight and concur with everyone else. The trailer had me psyched, but this was so far beyond what the trailer made me think it was going to be. A nice action/sci-fi/body horror blend that reminded me of Robocop and Ex Machina. I didn't expect the ending at all, but I loved it. It had balls to end like that, although I was expecting a mid- or after-credits scene to see the next step toward... you know what.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I have uncovered footage of what STEM went on to do after the movie!

It came out a long time ago in the Futurama episode where Bender became a human.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Trash Trick posted:

I liked it a lot, but was wondering in retrospect why did STEM have safeguards in the first place which needed to be overwritten by the hacker person? Was it the tech billionaire's attempt to subvert STEM's influence? That bit seemed kinda odd, like, ok, the billionaire dude was taking orders from STEM but designed the chip with limitations because...? I suppose we are just suppose to presume that it was a sort of last ditch effort to subvert STEM's wishes but I had trouble reconciling it all. Also pretty weird that billionaire dude seemed genuinely surprised with the "It talks to you..?" Seems nonsensical in retrospect- was a fun trick to obfuscate details while it was playing out, but doesn't hold up after the fact

Film had some pretty excellent setup & direction. The whole opening act was genuinely heartbreaking.

The "it talks to you?" part can be explained with that billionaire dude has of course heard STEM because computers have speakers, but the fact that STEM found out a way to talk to the main character when it's just a chip surprises him.

I found it a bit weird that the chip seems to be the entirety of STEM. Would make more sense that the actual AI was living in the cloud and the chip was just a subprocess it used to explore having a human body.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This was a good movie but I had a weird chuckle at the big bad brain AI being named STEM because the 2014 action-horror game The Evil Within has the exact same plot point and considering how that game's various plot points line up with the film's ending it almost feels too close to be a coincidence.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Amazing movie. I wish there was a sequel but really hope they never make one because it’s definitely one of those concepts that breaks down the more you add to it.

There’s not enough character development to support this, but to me it felt like STEM was just psychotic and mostly did things the hard way for fun.

Like it felt that he could’ve just ended everything the second he was in Grey but wanted to gently caress around a bit first.

It also made me really want a full out buddy cop movie about Grey and Stem on the beat.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

There’s not enough character development to support this, but to me it felt like STEM was just psychotic and mostly did things the hard way for fun.

Like it felt that he could’ve just ended everything the second he was in Grey but wanted to gently caress around a bit first.

I don't really agree with this. I feel like STEM wanted to work with Grey at first, and the plan was mostly a way to try and get Grey on board with letting STEM largely take the wheel. It didn't work entirely, so the ending happened.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think Stem, as portrayed in the movie, ever could’ve coexisted with Grey.

If Stem is a psychopath, then Grey was a lovely sycophant, what with having morals and a conscience and whatnot.

Like, why not have Eron implant Stem into a dumb meathead with no personality? Surely there’s a young one out there who hasn’t been filled with implants?

Stem deliberately went for someone who’d prove a challenge to “break”.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That's the thing, though: STEM doesn't really strike me as psychotic, so much as it just doesn't wanna just be digital consciousness, and wants a body. He didn't go for someone who would prove a challenge to break- he went for someone he thought he could manipulate into a partnership.

Think of it this way: if nothing goes wrong, and Grey just rolls with everything, STEM and Grey end up in essentially a symbiotic relationship. STEM gets what it wants (to experience the world the way people do and not how... sentient code does), Grey gets to still be a person, they work together. STEM's motivation for all of the seemingly "psychotic" things it does is pretty clearly this- it wants Grey to think he owes it everything, and that it's his closest friend and partner. Hell, you can kind of notice this in STEM's dialogue- it's not really overly emotional at any point, but it's the most jokey and casual when Grey is working along with it (the ninja scene, for example- you can't tell me "correction, i am state of the art but i am not a ninja" isn't STEM trying to crack a joke).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

STEM could have tortured his host for eternity by putting him into an awful constructed reality, but instead he gives him (relative) bliss. Why?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

STEM is keeping Grey distracted.

The sequel should be Grey waking up in the White House.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

STEM could have tortured his host for eternity by putting him into an awful constructed reality, but instead he gives him (relative) bliss. Why?

i feel like this kind of supports my argument. like, STEM chose Grey because he likes Grey. he picked a host whose consciousness he thought would make a good friend, and he was largely right until poo poo went down. and even that wasn't enough to actually make STEM have any antipathy for Grey, it just made Grey an obstacle to STEM's main goal.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's the right interpretation IMO. He has the ability to truly wound his host for attempting to interfere with his plans and he doesn't, he mothballs him in a form of paradise and lets him be happy while he pursues his own agenda.

I mean I walked away from the movie believing that STEM absolutely "visits" Grey in his "prison" in some way and continues to interact with him, because he seemed like he was enjoying their "hang outs".

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Stem could control Grey's mind to that level.

At one point in the movie Grey asks Stem if Stem can read Grey's thoughts and Stem says no. I don't think Stem knows exactly what Grey's happy place is nor can Stem see into it, he just knows that Grey is no longer fighting him.

Stem "broke" Grey. What that means is something only Grey knows.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

STEM says a lot of things that aren't true.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

STEM says a lot of things that aren't true.

I get that, but there's nothing in the movie that suggests he has that sort of power. Everything Stem does throughout the movie is through suggestion and deception, not mind control.

I don't want to get too much into what "powers" Stem has or not because that's, to me, absolutely not the point of the movie. Personally I feel it's much more natural to assume that Grey now exists in whatever corner of his mind Grey can't get to, leaving the rest to Stem but that's like, just my opinion, man.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Eh it's not a crazy idea or anything. I can see it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I don't think Stem could control Grey's mind to that level.

At one point in the movie Grey asks Stem if Stem can read Grey's thoughts and Stem says no. I don't think Stem knows exactly what Grey's happy place is nor can Stem see into it, he just knows that Grey is no longer fighting him.

Stem "broke" Grey. What that means is something only Grey knows.

I mean, I think it figures out what Grey's happy place is from a mixture of common sense and getting to know him, not from reading his thoughts.

Like, the fantasy is a pretty obvious one, frankly.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
There is definitely a darker (better?) version of upgrade where Stem tortures Grey into relinquishing control, where Grey doesn't even get to go to a happy place, he just goes insane.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

There is definitely a darker (better?) version of upgrade where Stem tortures Grey into relinquishing control, where Grey doesn't even get to go to a happy place, he just goes insane.

Yeah, Harlan Ellison wrote it ages ago and you can get the PC game version for like 5 bucks.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
STEM can see what Grey sees, so it goes beyond whatever it can directly infer from the spinal column

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

late to the party but yeah this was awesome, more people should watch this!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I don’t think Stem, as portrayed in the movie, ever could’ve coexisted with Grey.

If Stem is a psychopath, then Grey was a lovely sycophant, what with having morals and a conscience and whatnot.

Like, why not have Eron implant Stem into a dumb meathead with no personality? Surely there’s a young one out there who hasn’t been filled with implants?

Stem might be a psychopath, Stem picked Grey just because he said "there are somethings that people can do better *than machines*" at the start of the film. It's pretty modest what hes saying about humans and machines. On the drive home, Stem has Gray crippled and his wife killed.

That's the entire movie. Stem is not helping Grey solve any crime. Stem already knows it did it. It's just throwing Grey into tense situations to break him. It is not like a buddy cop movie, its like Chris Tucker attempting to get Jackie Chan killed.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i feel like this kind of supports my argument. like, STEM chose Grey because he likes Grey.

Like is a pretty strong word for destroying someones life and taking away their free will.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 23, 2018

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Finally had a change to watch this. It was quite good, but the entire concept of arm guns was beyond stupid. How are they in any way superior to regular guns?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dantheman650 posted:

Finally had a change to watch this. It was quite good, but the entire concept of arm guns was beyond stupid. How are they in any way superior to regular guns?

They're in your arm. Meaning you can't drop them.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

You’re going to have a hell of a time at the airport!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Pretty sure those guys were military, specifically spec ops? I'd imagine being able to conceal your weapons inside your body is pretty useful in covert operations/in civilian areas

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dantheman650 posted:

C'mon dude, they're arm guns! The only thing better would be skull guns!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
lung guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
Eye laser :colbert: