Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

No YouTubers mother is proud

look at this guy who's never watched Lenny play Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dvassallo/status/1779753281960722706?t=7ljsk-6bwgi4ywyCtc-3yQ&s=19

This is an insane way of looking at reviews lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MKBHD is in the gutter between “beard” and “not beard” and I truly wish he would pick a side.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

lol, a lobertarian who hates the free market

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly, these days the best way to research a model of car you're interested in is to hit forums. Obviously it isn't great for the model that just dropped two months ago, but even so you can extrapolate a bit based on past performance. Things tend to skew a bit towards people griping, but it's like reading the 1 star reviews on amazon. You get a pretty good feel for what can go wrong.

Quoting car review chat from last week, but is there any car reviewers out there that actually seriously engage with driver assistance features on cars these days? Not even Tesla self driving plowing into children kinda stuff, but regular rear end lane keeping, how well ACC works (and what scale of object it detects), and whether you can use it all the way to a stop (hella useful for heavy traffic), collision warnings, etc.

When I was in the market a few years ago I was really disappointed to see nobody bothering to even mention that stuff, with reviewers apparently much more focused on how fun they felt to drive, presumably with that stuff turned off. A side effect of car reviewers all being Car Guys I suppose.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Quoting car review chat from last week, but is there any car reviewers out there that actually seriously engage with driver assistance features on cars these days? Not even Tesla self driving plowing into children kinda stuff, but regular rear end lane keeping, how well ACC works (and what scale of object it detects), and whether you can use it all the way to a stop (hella useful for heavy traffic), collision warnings, etc.

When I was in the market a few years ago I was really disappointed to see nobody bothering to even mention that stuff, with reviewers apparently much more focused on how fun they felt to drive, presumably with that stuff turned off. A side effect of car reviewers all being Car Guys I suppose.

Car I bought recently has lane keep assist/adaptive cruise control and I have to say it's like, kind of neat but also it dulls your attention while using it and that's the real danger

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

It’s an especially insane way of looking at that review which, other than the title, is pretty drat even-handed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"How dare you give a bad review to a product you think is bad"? Not gonna lie, that's the type of thinking that led to us having game ratings that go from 6 to 10 rather than 1 to 10, and it can gently caress right off.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Danny Gonzalez covered that same thing a while ago and it's just a weird purposeless device. The creators of it keep describing it as a totally new AI technology but it's basically just an amazon echo that you wear and that has a laser projector on it, or a phone that doesn't have a screen. Oh and a weird gesture based interface that looks clunky as gently caress. . It's like someone designed a car that has an extra wheel but no windscreen, the politest response you should expect to get is mild confusion as to why you bothered.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It also gives you incorrect information if it isn't something simple like the weather

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Moonlight posted:

It’s an especially insane way of looking at that review which, other than the title, is pretty drat even-handed.

"Other than that, the play was pretty drat good"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fil5000 posted:

Danny Gonzalez covered that same thing a while ago and it's just a weird purposeless device. The creators of it keep describing it as a totally new AI technology but it's basically just an amazon echo that you wear and that has a laser projector on it, or a phone that doesn't have a screen. Oh and a weird gesture based interface that looks clunky as gently caress. . It's like someone designed a car that has an extra wheel but no windscreen, the politest response you should expect to get is mild confusion as to why you bothered.

Yeah there's a few of these that've sprung up in the last few months, basically seeing how far you can have a product carried by slapping "AI" on the box.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

The design of the device is absolutely incredible though. It's amazing. Too bad about literally everything else, but holy cow the design on this thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That being said, MK8 HD's review struck me as a little strange. I don't normally watch his videos so maybe it's just what he does, but he kept bringing up complaints about the device and when he would demonstrate them the device would work ok and he'd be like "ok well that time it worked"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mobby_6kl posted:

"Other than that, the play was pretty drat good"

Android Police posted:

TCL's first foray into original video is this cringy AI monstrosity

Summary

- TCL's innovative approach to AI-generated content with Next Stop Paris marks a milestone in the streaming market.
- The first-ever AI-produced romance movie on TCLtv+ lacks quality in graphics and storytelling, disappointing some viewers while entertaining others with its absurdity.
- Despite initial setbacks, the future of AI in cinema looks promising with advancements like OpenAI's Sora model.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The tech media desperately wants to believe AI is inevitably going to get better even though it seems to be actively getting worse.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

njsykora posted:

The tech media desperately wants to believe AI is inevitably going to get better even though it seems to be actively getting worse.

I don't see HOW it can get better in it's current form. It's reliant on scraping the internet for training data and more and more of that training data is poo poo generated by AI. The next generation of AI is going to have the digital equivalent of haemophilia and a dozen extra teeth.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Anyone immediately giving that ai pin anything but derision from the outset is suspect for paid reviews - it solves no problem we don't already have solutions for.

The bar is so low and it still doesn't even come close to meeting it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the companies that initially scraped the internet are already resorting to making private deals to acquire more clean data, because they've already exhausted everything that was ever posted to the public internet over the last several decades

seems sustainable

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

repiv posted:

the companies that initially scraped the internet are already resorting to making private deals to acquire more clean data, because they've already exhausted everything that was ever posted to the public internet over the last several decades

seems sustainable

Turns out you cannot apply "move fast and break things" as a philosophy to things like Society or The Internet because now you've broken the internet. Which is especially funny in a dark hosed up way if your plan was to monetize the internet.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tzarnal posted:

Turns out you cannot apply "move fast and break things" as a philosophy to things like Society or The Internet because now you've broken the internet. Which is especially funny in a dark hosed up way if your plan was to monetize the internet.

It's like they decided to innovate farming by making farm animals eat their own poo poo instead of food.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shipon posted:

Car I bought recently has lane keep assist/adaptive cruise control and I have to say it's like, kind of neat but also it dulls your attention while using it and that's the real danger

:shrug: I have not found that to be the case at all. I actually use it on the highway section of my regular commute even though it's only like 5 minutes, very nice to just park it on the speed limit and be able to observe what's going on and not have to monitor my speed at all, or really any indications from inside the car.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

repiv posted:

seems sustainable

I don’t disagree, and it depends on how you define “clean data”… but the internet grows pretty fast

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
trillions of dollars later and fast forward a few years, and all we're gonna have for it are some mildly amusing ai-generated windows 98 screensavers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

:shrug: I have not found that to be the case at all. I actually use it on the highway section of my regular commute even though it's only like 5 minutes, very nice to just park it on the speed limit and be able to observe what's going on and not have to monitor my speed at all, or really any indications from inside the car.

It's not really a debatable or "your mileage may vary" thing. Automation frees up cognitive load and attention and if it didn't do that it wouldn't be used. Managing user attention is a big part of the design process because it's a given that their attention will shift away from the thing being automated.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
regular cruise control is fine, but the good thing about old cruise control is that drivers also knew exactly how it worked without it feeling like someone taking the wheel for you

the dumber all this smart technology feels, the better

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Fil5000 posted:

It's like they decided to innovate farming by making farm animals eat their own poo poo instead of food.
so ai is like the last part of a human centipede, basically

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is funny to me that people will refuse to use cruise control because they "don't feel like they're in control of the vehicle" and then oscillate up and down 20mph while weaving all over the road

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adaptive cruise is real nice - lets me know when to past the slow pokes as my car slows down. This is in a Subaru. I tried the lane assist thing but it feels way too weird and you need to have your hands on the steering wheel anyways.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

namlosh posted:

I don’t disagree, and it depends on how you define “clean data”… but the internet grows pretty fast

yeah but a lot of what's being added is now AI slop that nobody wants to feed into their AI models if they can help it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It seems inevitable to me that Discord will dump its catalogue of alt right terrorist chats + video game mod troubleshooting into an accessible repository.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
at least we will easily recognize ai by all their anime spoilers and incessant evangelism for mechanical keyboards

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

That being said, MK8 HD's review struck me as a little strange. I don't normally watch his videos so maybe it's just what he does, but he kept bringing up complaints about the device and when he would demonstrate them the device would work ok and he'd be like "ok well that time it worked"

I thought he demonstrated that it doesn't work often enough that it speaks to how unreliable a device like that can be

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shipon posted:

My new car lane keep assist is a sure fire way to end up in ditches or crash with incoming traffic, I keep it on to spice up my commute.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

UHD posted:

I thought he demonstrated that it doesn't work often enough that it speaks to how unreliable a device like that can be

For sure he argued his case well enough in the rest of the video.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

It seems inevitable to me that Discord will dump its catalogue of alt right terrorist chats + video game mod troubleshooting into an accessible repository.

If you think discord servers don’t have people posting ChatGPT to them already as memes or commercial exploitation you should get on some better servers

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My friend bought a Hyundai with lane keeping and auto-braking and he discovered how to trick it into activating those features in city traffic. He gleefully demonstrated this to me one day and then noted that his ex-wife/business partner will no longer ride with him

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Speaking of car stuff I have been getting into this guy’s channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifZDPsfghyk

Guy lives near the Nurburgring and works/worked at a place that does the ring taxi service and rentals and is a pretty great driver doing laps in everything from stock hot hatches to hypercars. I would love to go there someday and get a ride around with a pro driver. I am not foolish enough to attempt doing it in a rental.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

Speaking of car stuff I have been getting into this guy’s channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifZDPsfghyk

Guy lives near the Nurburgring and works/worked at a place that does the ring taxi service and rentals and is a pretty great driver doing laps in everything from stock hot hatches to hypercars. I would love to go there someday and get a ride around with a pro driver. I am not foolish enough to attempt doing it in a rental.

I unsubbed from him when he went antilockdown and other chud adjacent stuff during the covid era, it was sorta grating at the time. He is a good driver and some of his apex adjacent content is cool, like the kubica at the ring run that was astonishingly quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Radar cruise control owns. Every car should have that, it makes keeping a safe following distance super easy.

The lane keep assist on my car seems a bit wack though. If it activates it does a very jerky correction and it feels like it's actually trying to send me out of my lane. I need to find an empty road to test it. Still, I think it's worth keeping on because if I were falling asleep at the wheel or something the sudden jerk would probably bring my attention back.