Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Twitter thread from DBrand.
Of note:

Did DBrand just drop LTT as a sponsor? That's how I'm reading it, but it doesn't look like Reddit figured that out yet.

Reads to me like they're planning to wait and see, and just being edgy with the box of glass comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
He'd probably have to fire most of the staff. Or at least most of the staff that have been on video.

Since the skeletons are coming out of the closet, in one of their other videos they build a lovely water cooled mattress which is sponsored by the company Eight Sleep. Someone on staff that was arranging the set decided that instead of arranging some of the boxes to say EIGHT and SLEEP, they instead set them up to have EIGHT EIGHT (88), which is a big time white supremacist dog whistle.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Comatoast posted:

I'm trying to catch up on 1500 posts.. Why exactly does not being as good of a reviewer as Gamers Nexus mean that LTT needs to lose sponsors and business?

Keep reading, but the tl;dr is sexual harassment and an abusive work culture

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Comatoast posted:

meh. Show me convictions. Allegations don't mean much. And we already knew that you don't go to LTT for quality reviews, you go for the absurdity.
Amazing how you managed to make up your mind without even bothering to read anything in this thread. There's a lot of damning evidence and corroboration, but don't let that get in the way of supporting your favorite corporation.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My only hope is that Dan and Alex aren't assholes because I appreciate Alex's insane half-engineered ideas and Dan's absolute basedness.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wonder if any hint of this mess was disclosed to the new CEO before he accepted the position. Dude seems extremely qualified and if Linus dumped this huge mess on his lap within the first month without any warning, I've got to imagine he's already 3 steps into his exit strategy.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

part of it is him having terminal small-business owner brain where he sees every dollar spent by the company as his money being spent, so anything he likes will get buckets of money, and anything he doesn't like or doesn't see the potential for immediate ROI he will kick and whine about

and part of it is that he explicitly stated he hated the water block and that he didn't want anyone to buy it. like, that's not an inference, he literally and specifically said that it didn't matter what data they would have got out of properly testing it because no matter what the results were he would still be convinced it's terrible and nobody should buy it.

i mean, i'm not a biz guy, maybe i don't have the right perspective or mentality, but i can't help but wonder if that'd be the biggest red flag for a hardware vendor considering sending products for early review. if Linus is willing to admit on camera he went into a review hating a product and deciding that nobody should buy it, and proceeded to gently caress up the review, who's to say he won't do it again? or perhaps has even done it before?

That's what bothered me most until the sexual abuse allegations. Like dude, your whole YouTube channel is built on enthusiast hardware which by definition is impractical and nobody should buy. Who really should buy a 4090? Who really should buy a custom water cooling loop? Nobody. We're not buying these things because they make sense, we're buying these things because they're cool.

The Billet Labs waterblock video was very entertaining but I'm honestly surprised LTT published it with how much it showcases them loving up. In their behind-the-scenes prep they somehow pick out and disassemble a 4090 instead of a 3090 TI and nobody notices until Linus points it out during their recording. They have the wrong mobo and have to use a substitute that doesn't fit, and they completely ignore the instructions the manufacturer provided.

How could any company send a product to LTT and hope to get a fair shake after seeing that video? It just shows reckless incompetence and disregard for even basic testing procedure. Linus has talked at length about how he wants LTT Labs to be some rigorous and thorough testing facility where the industry can be evenly and fairly evaluated. If a company sends a product to LTT to test is it a coin toss on if it ends up at the "respectable" LTT Labs or if it instead gets put on the LTT channel as a scathing entertainment piece where it's treated like garbage?

And that's completely ignoring the chaos that's been revealed afterwards. LTT LOST the 3090 TI the water block came with for testing. Presumably it ended up at a staffers house like many LTT items seem to. Then after testing they didn't bother to follow up with Billet Labs before publishing their video which is absolutely scathing for their product and destructive to the future of their company. That last point is extra hilarious because that seems to be the war cry Linus and his fans are marching behind in regards to the GamersNexus video. Like Steve somehow owes them the courtesy to allow them to defend their sloppy reporting and practices ahead of time, but Billet Labs deserves to get plowed under by LTTs dishonest review of their product.

I think LTT the channel could possibly recover from this, but not the LTT Labs project. They have absolutely shredded their integrity in regards to product testing and handling.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Palladium posted:

I remember Anandtech not generating even a fraction of this drama when AMD tried to literally bribe them over the slow, late and bugged Phenom I

A lot has changed since 2007 or so. The industry is more mature and respectable now, or is at least trying to be.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Madison is probably avoiding naming names because she doesn't need to open herself up to that legal risk of being sued my LMG or the abusers.

Everyone at LMG who is in any kind of leadership role knows who she's talking about and who did what. If they wanted to deal with it before they could have. If they want to deal with it now they still can. However, LMG is not the target of her story.

She is making it known to everyone outside LMG what kind of company LMG is behind the scenes. She is removing the prestige that the LMG brand has so that others like her aren't suckered into chasing their dream job, and being forced to endure the treatment she did from LMG staff. For people, especially young people, who see the LMG channels and think it's a cool, hip, and fun place to work, and would jump at the chance work there, she is giving them a reality check. This will have long term hiring implications for LMG as anybody who isn't a sleaze bag will probably not want to apply to work there, women especially. This will lead to an increasingly toxic culture as the only people being hired will be terminally online incels like Comatoast. Their image will continue to deteriorate and as sponsors and supporters bail, they will run out of funds, dwindle, and eventually dissolve.

Madison telling her story is incredibly selfless. She has and continues to be the target of harassment for a job she quit long ago, but she keeps stirring the pot because she wants to protect others from the same fate.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 20, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"Pound of Flesh" would make an excellent renaissance fair menu item

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Micro-ATX is the best board size. All the features of ATX that you need, in a size that's much smaller. I don't even understand why ATX is still popular. Who is using all of the PCIE slots these days?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Conspiratiorist posted:

They're the bane of the terminally online neurodivergent since context matters for this particular pattern-recognition to actually mean anything.

The pattern I'm seeing is a bunch of young white guys in tech being misogynistic and edgy and covering for each other.

You think a guy who listens to Jordan Peterson and goes on stage to tell holocaust and wife beating jokes wouldn't arrange a sign on set to be a dog whistle?

If you think I'm terminally online for seeing a dog whistle. How can you justify an entire company of people whose job it is to be terminally online not seeing it?

Why would you give any benefit of the doubt to LMG at this point?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nuh huh, I'm certain that the overworked intern who quit college for his slave wage dream job at a company currently under fire for shoddy quality control due to a breakneck content production rate was directly ordered by his boss to stack the showcase product boxes to form half of a neonazi hate symbol, and not because he just slotted them into the prop shelf in a way that they wouldn't half stick out or show the cracked open back.

Don't hurt your back lifting that strawman into place

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Gros Tarla posted:

Wasn't it a showcase for a product called Eight?

Like of course the number Eight is bound to appear a bunch of times lol.

Goons :allears:
Needing to read the thread foils a goon yet again.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Linus is just a big Dale Earnhardt fan

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ijyt posted:

Not everything is a dog whistle and being terminally online to the point where you see them everywhere, instead of say, putting sponsors boxes on a shelf to maximise space and be in view, is not healthy. Feel free to kramer yourself out or w/e.
Dude you are ranting about people pointing out something that might be problematic, but everyone agrees could also just be coincidence. Chill out and touch grass yourself instead of trying to clap back and accuse people of mental illness constantly.

The amount you care about denying dog whistles and being anti-woke or whatever your deal is is way above what the rest of us care about it and I'm the one that brought it up in the first place.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

SourKraut posted:

Who knows how Linus would have reviewed it, but probably would have found a way to only push the sponsor’s product.

I imagine Linus would have tried it on an AMD chip and then used a CNC and 3D printer to cobble something together that boots before giving it a poor review.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I can't believe Linus snuck a swastika into the LTT logo. A truly damning dog whistle.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Wrong but brave

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there such a thing as an HVAC youtuber

Yes! There are a ton of trade-tubers in general.

Some are better than others. I avoid the ones that can't help but lean into politics.

My favorite HVAC channels are:
Anti DIY HVAC
HVAC GUY
HVACR VIDEOS
AC Service Tech LLC

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ramalama posted:

Mainly a lurker on SA, but did anyone else notice that r/LinusTechTip mods removed the post from the dad who said his son committed suicide after Linus’ fanbase went after the kid for winning an auction for NCIX YouTube play button?
The version of the story I heard was that the mother and the kid killed themselves. I don't know if there's any truth to the story one way or another, but even if it is true, I doubt that LTT fans harassing the kid was a significant part of a double suicide. When people commit suicide everyone looks for a "why" and the father is probably just grieving like crazy.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

:getin:

I'm looking forward to Linus digging himself deeper.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Wild EEPROM posted:

Theres one extremely effective cooling technique for gpus that used to be popular in cases but they stopped doing it a number of years ago for various reasons.

Its a big cutout inthe side panel with a fan on it.

Everything has to be tempered glass now and cutting nice holes in glass is expensive

hobbesmaster posted:

With how popular vertical GPU mounts are I’m surprised there aren’t some cases that do that again.
The algorithm pushed me a video of some guy rebuilding his PC in this case (Meshroom S) which I'd never heard of but I really like it because it's sized to be not much bigger than an ATX mobo, and it has the option to mount a long GPU vertically.
https://ssupd.co/products/new-meshroom-s

e: It may have been the Meshilicious of the same company. They both seem to do that and I'm not sure what the differences are. https://ssupd.co/products/meshlicious

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 27, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

DoombatINC posted:

For some years I worked an office job where a Costco membership recruiter would come by once a year and fish for new members / renewals. When he showed up it was always with bulk packs of cookies and soda, as well as 6+ pipin' hot pizzas. I talked with him about the gig once and apparently it was the greatest job ever by his measure - every day he went to a different office where he was treated as a returning king, because everybody everywhere secretly wants a surprise pizza party.

That's how I signed up for my Costco card so I guess the system works

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rinkles posted:

from one of this guy's videos

the part that you attach the motherboard to as a removable tray. that's really neat.

The all aluminum Lian Li PC cases from the mid 2000s to around 2015 or so did this too. It was so easy to build PCs in those cases.

Here's a PC-v352 case which I had and still regret getting rid of.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
All the negative comments I can find are either about Steve not asking LTT for comments ahead of time or accusing Steve of "chasing clout".

Which are just the dumbest takes possible.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
To actually improve something, the first thing you have to do is admit there is a problem. The fact that they have not addressed the Madison allegations shows that they don't actually want to get better, they just want people to think they are.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's absolutely not a topic for a YT video, nor to be addressed publicly. I'm sure they're not doing so for legal/liability reasons, but if they did you just know some rabid fanbase assholes would go off on a crusade of targeted harassment against her.
Why isn't it a topic for a YT video? Why can't it be addressed publicly? The leaked video of it being "addressed" privately was Linus being dismissive of the topic and telling people being sexually harassed to take it up with their harassers. James is heard making a stripper joke at Linus and nobody says a word about how inappropriate that is to do during a meeting supposedly about addressing sexual harassment.

LTT's rabid fan base is already harassing her and has been for some time, and Linus not addressing that is going to be construed as implicit approval.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Charles Leclerc posted:

Because it has disaster written all over it. Oblique references can be hand waved away but a 10 minute video on workplace sexual harassment by LTT is like fishing with dynamite. I would wager that at least Yvonne has the brains to have taken legal counsel on it and based on the fact that Luke can mute Linus on WAN show and Linus can't screen share that the new CEO is absolutely not letting the matter be addressed without his explicit consent and sign off by the company attorneys.

I never said they had to make a 10 minute video about it, I'm just saying they should address it. A short but brief recognition that they have a problem and are doing something to turn the sex pest culture around would be a nice start.

quote:

What could they possibly say in a video that doesn't nuke whatever is left of the company? It's either a public admission of guilt or some bullshit excuses that mobilise a bunch of morons.

If they were actually trying to make things better they would address problems or even potential problems. That's the whole point. You can say "During our week of meditation, LMG has recognized that our sexual harassment prevention guidelines are lacking and we're working with <respectable group> to improve that to make sure nobody feels harassed or objectified at LMG." It doesn't admit to anything nor open them up to a lawsuit.

Although I would argue that if they truly actually cared they would have already started going down the right path with Madison and then admitted they hosed up handling her situation. Being responsible and transparent means admitting when you hosed up, even if it opens you up to lawsuits.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AlternateAccount posted:

Any of that could maybe be seen as a tacit admission of guilt legally, no one is going to do that.
Do you think admitting to selling auctioning a piece of property they didn't own isn't an admission of guilt legally?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure the first thing most lawyers tell their clients is to shut the hell up and not to admit anything was your fault, for this very reason. Even if you get in a minor car accident, if you admit fault at the scene that can likely be used against you.

Yeah but most people wouldn't get out of the car wreck and then try to convince everyone that they should come to them for driving advice still. If you market yourself as the driving instructor who is honest and transparent and "just like you!" then the bar is higher than how a faceless mega corporation acts. That's why it's ridiculous to expect Steve to reach out to LMG for comments first. LMG puts on the plucky small business mask when it suits them and then becomes a faceless mega corporation when money or allegations get involved.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 28, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The most frustrating thing about Linus house is that he bought a perfectly good and nice normal house and then proceeded to Groverfy it into the abomination that it is.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just :lol: if they are trying to use Tim as a fall guy for all of this. LMG employees need a union yesterday.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is this latest move LTT Labs trying to sacrifice virgins to appease tech Jesus?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Steve needs to hire Tim, train him properly in the dark benchmarking arts, and then co-dunk on LTT Labs with him in GN videos to see if it's possible to give Linus an aneurysm.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This is probably a controversial opinion, but while I like Emily, I don't think she has the talent to be successful independently. Her content is best when she's paired with another party and can play the straight woman in the interaction. Her just talking about old tech would be interesting to some people but there's other people out there that do that already and have a better personality for it.

She already has her own YouTube channel I believe, and unless she has a non-compete, I don't see why we couldn't get both types of content from her though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Ted Cruz would never sexually harass a woman other than his mother

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
DC++ ruled. Every summer of college my friends and I would go to Quakecon (a huge lan party) and stop by Fry's electronics to buy new HDDs on the way to stuff full of whatever we could find on the hub there over the weekend. There was literal petabytes of data you could download at insane speeds. Man those were the good ol days.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Any popular guntuber besides Karl of InRangeTV should be assumed to be a huge loving chud.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

VostokProgram posted:

if 2 milliseconds is so cool why does it take me 10 minutes to clean compile a loving DLL at work

Sounds like a skill issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
InGen replaced all their park operations Jeeps and Ford Explorers with Mercedes so they must be good.