Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kliras posted:

AV1 encoding is getting wider adoption on YouTube; this HWUB video has AV1 across all resolutions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTkIeBhVOck

code:
mp4   3840x2160 60 | 1.54GiB 11056k | av01.0.13M.08
webm  3840x2160 60 | 1.74GiB 12438k | vp9
YouTube is generally taking the road of "same quality, lower bitrate" rather than "same bitrate, higher quality" with AV1, which I assume is in large part due to the algo dorks who believe it will result in higher watchtimes, engagement, etc.
I'm bit worried that they're moving things around; youtube video compression was already right on the line where it can sort-of handle ~most~ things, but it's surprisingly easy to make it give up and just display garbage.
If they're going to switch, I'd at least like to see statistical and perceptual similarity comparisons between the source, the old compression, and the new compression - although I doubt we're gonna get that.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I doubt ISPs have stopped their "Youtube/Netflix needs to pay for the bandwidth they use on our networks" shpiel. It's probably partly related to that. And IIRC back when Covid started, the EU mandated lower video bitrate to make room on the interwebs for home office data traffic. Not sure if that's still in effect.
Youtube is a lot more hostile against ISPs than Netflix is, though; the latter has the OpenConnect Appliances that any ISP can setup in their datacenter racks, which functions as a cache for Netflix content.

Klyith posted:

At low resolutions the AV01 encodes get more bitrate than the VP9 & AVC encoders though. And AV1 is really good. I'd expect a reduction in bitrate by 10% versus VP9 still results in higher quality.

IDK, it seems like youtube quality is pretty good these days. They use good codecs now, unlike the VP8 days. If you compare 4K movie trailers and other stuff that's not a talking head, they're delivering bitrates that are at least the same ballpark as netflix.
I've seen a lot of people say it's better, and it may very well be - but where are the SSIM and PSIM comparisons?

I know a little less about video compression than I do about audio compression, but anyone with a confetti cannon or the equivalent After Effects filter can demonstrate how quickly things can get bad the same way that songs (even officially-uploaded ones) can end up sounding like vocal fry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtyi1vvXxKY
(Towards the end of the song, the crescendo is so powerful that it breaks most audio compression algorithms, and certainly all the ones offered by youtube - if you listen to a good FLAC rip of the song you'll hear very clearly what I'm talking about)

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inept posted:

Netflix probably has well under 1% of the data that Youtube has though.
A decade ago they were handling about 1/3 of all North American traffic during peak times using FreeBSD, and nowadays they're building servers that handle about ~400Gbps of traffic each:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o-HcG8QxPc

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Netflix also have cache servers in data centers of a lot of ISPs.
I already mentioned the OpenConnect Appliances. :ssh:

Although I didn't mention they're free, which I wasn't aware of.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

repiv posted:

yes netflix pushes a lot of data around, but it's largely pushing the same data to many different users, so that data can be cached at the edge

youtube consumers are pulling a much broader set of content that's a lot harder to cache
Sure, you're gonna get no argument from me on that point - I'm in the dubious position of having had to try and provide caching for YouTube at one point.
You can probably guess how it went.

The point was that they're still moving a shitload of traffic.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

This video is not available?
It is for me, but UGM is weird about geo-location permissions for some of their videos.
It's Comforting Sounds by Mew in case you want to look it up for yourself.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1#Quality_and_efficiency, there are results from a bunch of different research papers you can dig into

the only one that says AV1 isn't as good is Fraunhoffer, who are not exactly a neutral party (or it could be explained by their testing being in 2016 while the code was still very alpha)

So I don't have a lossless to compare, and honestly I'm not the best at ABXing encoder artifacts in the first place. But that song is clipped to hell. It's not "too powerful", its flattened against the wall. I'm kinda doubtful whether what you're hearing is encoder artifacts or just a song with terrible mastering. Most audio problem samples that show encoder problems are not songs that sound like that -- encoders do square waves just fine.

If you're serious about comparing encoders and poo poo you can't just compare lossy vs lossless. You have to blind test them and, before making quality judgements, prove that you can tell blind samples apart.
I know the strengths of the AV1 codec, I wasn't criticizing it by itself - this is specifically about how youtube treats the videos uploaded and what forms their decision choices.
Also, did you read any of the articles? Almost all of them measure structural similarity (or even more laughably, PSNR) whereas what I'm asking for is both that and perceptual similarity (preferably at the same time, since that tells more than either alone does).

All of the research done on AV1 is on researcher-chosen videos (which can be an issue, but let's assume it isn't) as well as settings that've chosen based on whatever optimizes for the best quality at a given bitrate.
That latter is the important part, because it's not what Google are targeting; even if we knew their exact encoding choices (while I haven't looked extensively, I've not found anything conclusive - but if you upload something following exactly their recommendations it still gets re-encoded, so they're doing something else), I'm pretty sure we can guess that they're more interested in what gets them the lowest bitrate while still having passable quality.
That's a distinction that matters when you're measuring PSIM.

As for Comforting Sounds, the mastering of the song isn't the problem as it sounds great on the Frengers album or ripped as FLAC - it just happens to be a song where the crescendo contains so many things that the psycho-acoustic properties of most lossy codecs break down unless you do CBR at the highest bitrate.
However, it's also a good test for this exact reason, because you don't need a blind ABX test to hear the differences in the FLAC encoding vs VBR in the low-140kbps- ie. what the OPUS encoding is for the version I linked, but even if it was AAC-LC (which is what youtube recommends), it still sounds like vocal fry.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 19, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:ibadpop:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I tried elucidating some of the more glaring issues over in the digital packrats thread.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Former Human posted:

Remember the tape drive Linus hyped in 2018 for backing up data? I guess they never actually used it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alxqpbSZorA
That's a big :laffo:
Especially because an actual tape library with a robot is the one way to handle data in these orders of magnitude, not to offload it to the :yaybutt:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tape and tape libraries are one of those things that are like fax - if you're paying someone for eFax services when fax is supported by every modern OS for at least a decade, there's probably other people who'd like to take you to the cleaners.
BareOS is better than whatever enterprise tape backup software you can buy, and it's free.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Charles posted:

Or maybe it's just entertainment and we have fun learning things along the way!
There's nothing to learn, though - and it's not entertaining when it's the same joke over and over again.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 1, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Former Human posted:

A Linus "we lost all our data" video must naturally be followed up with a "look at our NEW server (which is basically the same as the last one that failed)" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqZFcrQTZ_E&t=257s

FYI they spent $36,000 on Seagate drives that they bought from a third party seller off Newegg. Any bets on how long this one lasts?
Haven't watched the video, and i'm not going to - but that's probably some of the poorest choices they could've made:

(Source)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

%1-%2 AFR is the overall average for their drives. I'm not sure why BSD found that model to be lol-worthy, because it seems perfectly normal.

They're breaking out 24 different models, so by random variation some will be higher and some lower. The more groups you look at, the higher the expected variation. Likewise, there's a drive on that set of charts with almost 5% AFR -- but only for 2021, versus in 2020 it had 0%.

If you play around with subgroup statistics enough, you can show that horse dewormer is a cure for covid.

You want to see a defective drives, look back at the old blogs from 2015-2017 and check the seagate failure rates.
The average AFR across their entire fleet is only 1.01%, and the Samsung EXOS drives are double that - and it's in turn also dfiferent from the median AFR, because the only drives that have a higher AFR are 14TB Seagate drives.

The point being, that Seagate are still doing worse than their competitors, and these are the drives that the youtuber was saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with, because he'd received the drives from Samsung so they were perfectly fine and definitely not worse than the competition, nope, not at all.
That is what I was laughing about.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 5, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Their AFR for their entire pool has ranged between 0.93% and 1.89% over the past 4 years. That particular model has been above-average every year it's been on the charts. It's not brilliant, and Seagate seems unquestionably worse than HGST for reliability -- hard to say anything about WD since Backblaze almost never uses them.

Still, 2%. And last year, with 4 times as many drive-hours, 1%.

The youtuber had a 100% failure rate, or at least a 100% errors in the raid rate (and a 0% dead-drive rate). One of these things is not like the other. I think it's crazy to blame the drives, when a much simpler explanation is that the youtuber with a detailed history of setting up braindead-stupid configurations of hardware and software hosed it up. This is the guy who made a striped raid0 of raid5s for his production server. They do idiotic stuff all the time, quite possibly on purpose for the content.

Between seagate and Linus I know which one I'd blame.
The youtuber had four striped 15-wide raidz3 arrays with no monitoring to give warnings (both via a bell event (can be audible via a speaker or visual via a fault LED), as well a sending email) when a drive started giving off pre-failure indicators (from either the READ/WRITE/CKSUM columns in zpool status, or from S.M.A.R.T attributes), no hot-spares configured (they should've had at least one per vdev, preferably two), was running an old version that's unlikely to include the microarchitecture-optimized RAID primitives and certainly doesn't include DRAID (which is very explicitly made for these kinds of bulk storage setups, with recordsize=10MB on the spinning rust and metadata stored on SSDs using allocation classes - all of which helps speed up resilvering).
The pool failed because one of those raidz3 vdevs had more than 3 drives fail, not because all the drives failed.

Their storage was designed to fail, even before we begin talking about the drives they were given and them insisting that the drives are fine despite the fact that there's evidence (higher than average/mean AFR) to suggest that those drives aren't fine.
Also, please re-read what BackBlaze mean by Annualized Failure Rate - it's not the same as Annual Failure Rate, and accounts for the power-on time already, so you're not supposed to factor it again.
And speaking specifically of the higher AFR for the Seagates, the article I linked explicitly talked about how the AFR compared to the Q3 numbers dropped after they updated the firmware - something the youtuber is unlikely to have done given that they didn't update the rest of the system either).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 6, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If he wants something that's bound to fail, he should be using BTRFS.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Ah, and that's consistent with their rebuild attempt throwing errors on every drive in the array? I don't have knowledge in this subject so I was taking Linus's word that errors distributed across all drives meant it wasn't a single drive failure.

(The RAID0 of RAID5s thing I was talking about was their much-older data disaster where they were doing something like using hardware raid controllers for the inner arrays and then unraid for the outer array. It might have been the other way around, a RAID5 of RAID0s? Whatever it was, people pointed out that it was incredibly dumb and terrible for redundancy since any 2 drives or 1 controller failure would kill it.)

Oh, I didn't mean that. Just that it was a statistically solid result since it has even more data.

Ok that's a lol-worthy note. :v: Also explains why backblaze removed a ton of those drives from their pool in 2021, they're getting seagate to do the fix.
I'm going by what they showed in the only video I watched, which was the output of zpool status with two vdevs that had errors in the READ and WRITE columns, and one vdev that had errors in the CKSUM column.

If a device experience too high of a rate of change for either of those columns, or if the count is too high, the device is marked as as either degraded or faulted. If the device disappears completely (presumably because it catastrophically failed), or if it's taken out of rotation with zpool offline, it's marked as unavailable or offline respectively.
All states except online mean that the fault tolerance of the entire pool is compromised in some fashion.

If memory serves, their hardware RAID was a RAID5 of RAID0s (ie. RAID05 instead of RAID50, which is fairly normal although RAID60 moreso) - which itself is pretty indicative of their competence.

2% AFR is still double the AFR of the mean for their entire fleet of disks, and some of the disks have an order of magnitude lower AFR at between 0.10% and 0.20%.
While it's not the 6-10% AFR that we've seen for some manufacturers, 2% AFR is still bad.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

He just published a video about using Linux' filesystem abstraction layer, that allows for just about anything to act as block storage, for swap space to enable "10TB of RAM" or some poo poo. gently caress me, they're running out of topics or something?
It's loving pathetic.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Charles posted:

You could just unsubscribe.
I'm not though :confused:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

entertainment youtube channel: "here's a silly thing you can technically do but probably shouldn't"
BSD: "loving pathetic"

lol c'mon. why would you take LTT so seriously?
Why are you defending them?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

...Did you see the video? The part where linus dresses up as a mad scientist and cackles maniacally might clue people into it not being serious tech news. They then go on to talk about why it's a dumb idea in a manner that's kinda interesting. They aren't telling anyone to do this.
The distinction is that they like to portray themselves both as tech comedy as well as tech news.
Even if they dress up like mad scientists, I can absolutely see how someone, who doesn't understand the catch-22 of swap (ie. the act of paging something to swap, on a filesystem or anything else that isn't a disk/partition, requires allocating more memory which in turn requires paging more to swap), might well think that that's actually a good idea.

This is further complicated by their genuine incompetence when it comes to anything more serious than using a screwdriver - like their business storage solutions always breaking, their attempts to do multi-tenancy virtualization solutions, and so on and so forth.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 7, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

forest spirit posted:

:words: about linus being the best
I'm sorry that you can't accept that your rich hero that you worship enough to need to defend him on this dead gay forum, when he doesn't even know you exist, isn't nearly as smart as you think he is.
That must suck.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's worth noting that they're working with uncompressible data, since video is already compressed - so inline compression features from tape or a modern filesystem like ZFS isn't going to get anything - especially because lz4 and zstd features early-abort mechanisms, where it stops trying to compress records, if it can't compress them at least 14%.

Since it's a data archive, I think nearline storage (either in the form of a tape library with robotic arm, or a MAID; a massive array of idle disks where spinning rust is spun-down) is the way to go.
That is, unless they also have some kind of IOPS requirements, in which case what SlowBloke mentioned is more the neighbourhood they're looking at.

It's also not clear to me if it's 1.2PB allocated space, or if that 1.2PB is just what they think they're getting if they're assuming that "14TB" drives are 14TiB and aren't accounting for filesystem metadata, distributed parity, slop space, and other things that's gonna affect the allocated amount of space.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Getting data out of the butt is exorbitantly expensive, which is entirely by design :yaybutt:

If I was building for max efficiency, I'd look into getting a 36-bay front-loading chassis from Supermicro, and 9 of these to fill up the rest of the 42U rack for a total of 846 disks per rack. The advantage they have is that you're not moving 60-90 drives at a time, which is the case with all the top-loading drives, as these disk shelves allow for easy servicing of two disks at a time without moving any other drives at all.

Assuming 16TB disks, with 9 devices per raidz3 vdev plus a bunch of spares, that's over 7PiB of usable storage.

EDIT: And if you go with DRAID, you can probably get more than 10PiB per rack.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 8, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

You really obviously didn't watch the video, the 1.2PB is just the theoretical maximum of the drives. When they get things set up in their NAS installation it's in the 900 terabyte range and there's a couple of jokes about doing a bad setup to make the magic 1 petabyte number appear but Linus says not to bother, to go with the right thing. They know they're not getting an actual petabyte of storage out of that thing.

Tape is likely correct, they've been pretty clear about it just being uncompressed videos of all their youtube content ever and it rarely being something they actually go back and read from. Frankly I don't care about Linus or his stunts that much (except this did convince me to finally set up backups myself, which I'm really grateful for), it's just frustrating to see speculation about the topic that's solved by actually engaging with the content being discussed.
It's more likely that I don't remember the video because of chemobrain, but it's loving hilarious if Linus said to "do the right thing" and then they didn't.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

My apologies, comment retracted then.
No worries, it's entirely right to observe the difference between raw space and space that can be allocated (even I mentioned it in the post you replied to), and it's also entirely on brand for Linus to claim that it's 1.2PB when it's not.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If my napkin calculations are correct, they could've bought two 90-bay SAS disk shelves and a 36-bay chassis, and gotten 1.17PB usable space with 10TB disks - and they'd still have 9 disks left over for spares.
And quote is not edit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do 100 racks and get 1EiB, or 100000 racks and get 1ZiB!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YGA8ufRjiY
I guess if we're grouchin on Linus I just wanna say that this take seems weird and pointless and only exists in the tone of wanting to have a take that can be seen to look at the whole situation from a higher vantage point and thus with more authority and thus with the final say.

Although I did like the bit where someone in the chat points out that GN Steve's whole deal was that he hadn't opened the shipping box before he sent it back to Newegg so the last 5 minutes of ranting was completely irrelevant, and so instead of just being like ''oh right okay then'' they made that commenter seem like an idiot by changing the terms of their rant to be about some hypothetical general situation and not about the specific Gamers Nexus video that the rant was initially responding to

You don't have to be a thought leader expert in everything. Just be a regular human. Why are youtubers like this
Brainworms. The answer is always brainworms.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Phone posted:

thanks algorithm

e: the video's fine; however, the caveat is that "this is how RMAs used to work at newegg 15 years ago" and nominally describes an RMA process that isn't playing hot potato with a $500 motherboard and shipping poo poo with a manufacturer RMA sticker on it.
That's the most tepid of takes, because of course the RMA process works when companies aren't incompetent or malicious.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

It's kind of shocking how many people are leaping at the 'one bad apple' defense for newegg, despite the fact that this went through so many hands and departments that it's impossible for that to be the case, let alone the company culture that promotes this sort of poo poo in the first place. This isn't even talking about newegg's shuffle thing where they are bundling actual trash with GPUs to get sales on otherwise unsellable items
They also didn't watch the videos from Tech Jesus, because he specifically mentions throughout that there's been a slow but steady trickle of comments about these issues over the years, and that since doing the first video their inbox has exploded (which he also points out, takes more effort than simply leaving a comment).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

:ssh: It's because they're a media company that gets ~75% of their revenue from ads and it would be "hypocritical" for them to support ad blocking (even though their employees would be a freaking molecule of water in a bucket).

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Linus outed himself as a complete shitter to me on a previous WAN show when he said he'd be personally offended if his employees unionized because he treats them so well. Good treatment and worker rights are OK to him as long as he gets to arbitrate and feel good about it.
That's a big warning sign right there, as in 30 foot high flashing neon.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Former Human posted:

I've always suspected that the sweepstakes on playr.gg (I guess they're Surf Giveaways now) worked the same way. Only the entrants with the highest followers and subs on Twitch, Twitter, and Instagram would win prizes. It didn't matter how many entries you had in a given contest, if you were a low level streamer or influencer you weren't getting dick.
It's almost as if in giveaways, just like gambling, the house always wins. :thunkher:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

this has to be illegal though right? gambling is extremely regulated, and i thought giveaways are the same way
I'd be surprised if it was legal - but how easy is it to prove at any kind of scale without someone acting as a whistleblower?
And what happens in situations where the infrastructure the company is using is hosted and/or the people who own the company are outside the jurisdictions of the country in question?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Warmachine posted:

11:24 the MC sales guy asking Steve if there's a meaningful difference between CL16 3200 and CL16 3600 :3:

edit: Honestly everything about that video is just wholesome. Really good Monday morning viewing.
Steve isn't completely wrong, but he's also not completely right. Assuming all timings and sub-timings are completely equivalent and XMP isn't being used, those 400MHz difference may mean ~10% difference at peak bandwidth, but of course it's nowhere near that simple.
There's almost no real-world use-case where you see peak bandwidth, especially not if you're doing memory-intensive workloads - so what matters a lot more is the sustained bandwidth which depends on too many factors to easily list.

If you wanna know more on the subject, I'd recommend the paper a performance & power comparison of modern high-speed dram architectures by Shang Li, et al.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 7, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If an unnamed benchmark is showing 10% difference with 5% margin of error and a significant standard deviation at a confidence of 10-50%, that's about as useful as just pulling any number out of your rear end.

If you begin factoring all of those and ensure that you have enough data points for it to be statistically valid, along with things like rebooting between each test, a lot of that measurable difference suddenly starts to disappear.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 8, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Linus being wrong is the practically so common, that the word Linus might as well translate to wrong.
Heck, he even pronounces his name wrong compared to how everyone in the Fenno-Scandic region, where it comes from, pronounces it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Former Human posted:

How does Linus Torvalds pronounce it???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39QPDTDdXU

There's also some video floating around where he pronounces it the Americanized way, probably because the Linux Foundation is incorporated as a 501c6 in the US (ie. a board/chamber of commerce, where corporations pay to enter), and as such has a trademark.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 12, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, that's the whole trademark deal I was talking about.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtG9I3mZlJo

TTP is gonna be an industry analyst, not going to LTT. (The LTT tease was an intentional joke). He'll continue his youtube channel, but it sounds there'll be some sponsored content, though I mostly trust he won't be a shill.
Well thank gently caress he's not going to LTT.

I'm okay with sponsored content, so long as it's clearly labeled - which I trust Ian to do; partially because he's legally obliged, of course, but also because he's managed to retain his integrity over a very long period of time.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed. The logo for his company is a rainbow - I wonder if there's anything to that beyond the iridescent surface of wafers.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 14, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Would be extremely funny if he got a job at GN
Well, he's starting his own company, but I could see him contracting work with GN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Adolf Glitter posted:

Watched the whole video now. I totally see him as an analyst, the analyst-influencer thing puts my teeth on edge, but maybe that's just me being old.
His written stuff is great, but I'm not convinced that he's well suited to video
What's better - someone who's used to being in front of the camera, doing all sorts of antics for clicks up to and including looking utterly incompetent, or someone who's maybe not used to it, but genuinely knows what they're talking about?
:thunkher: