Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lister posted:

The problem I have is that GN is stating it's definitely from making too many videos too quickly. There could be other problems inside the organization that's leading to these errors. The best people that would know that or not are the people who work there. GN didn't get a quote from anybody who works there, even anonymously. I think that's a major blind spot in their reporting here.

aside from all the other things others have pointed out are wrong with this...

In any walk of life, doing things in a hurry always leads to heightened risk of mistakes. But here, even though you try to pretend otherwise, GN is not reporting from fifty thousand feet. This is right in their wheelhouse! They are domain experts. When GN says perpetual time crunch is a great way to make lots of mistakes in technical review content, and maybe LTT should consider following their own employees' feedback on that if they actually want to do better, GN isn't just throwing darts at a wall.

you seem to be a very obtuse person, more of a rimmer than a lister if I'm being brutally honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Inept posted:

guy who has struggled to stay relevant since anand sold anandtech and everyone stopped caring about written tech articles

He was Anandtech's worst writer IMO. The contrast between his work and Anand's was quite jarring. Anand was so good at explaining deep technical concepts in a clear way that he was enjoyable to read even when what he was talking about was old hat to me. Then I'd click on an Ian Cutress article and immediately get lost in someone else's mental fog.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

K8.0 posted:

He has this weird complex where he wants everyone to see him as the most knowledgeable person about every aspect of his field, rather than just sticking to the parts he's good at which honestly no one posting on YouTube is really competing with.

What is he actually knowledgeable about though

Cuttress' current career pivot is advising semiconductor companies about "messaging and brand strategy", according to his own linkedin. I guess that means he's given up on technical reviewing (probably a good idea if you ask me, as he was terrible at it). However I can't imagine this is going well for him - the pro bono brand messaging work he's just submitted to the public is so bad.

Even from a cynical POV, if you're gonna go longform with weak arguments that don't stand up to scrutiny, you need to do the ol' Gish gallop and race through so many of them that you force opponents of your position to go even more TL;DW. What he's put out is long, but doesn't have much substance and is easily refuted with way less effort than he put into it. So he isn't very good at the PR game...

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

K8.0 posted:

This is something I already knew but guess I hadn't considered the implication of. You already need a reliable way to get 12V into your electric motor to start the car, that should fairly well trivialize reliably getting 12V out to power and charge.

In Toyota's HSD (probably the most common hybrid drivetrain), there are two Motor/Generators. Both connect to the HV electrical bus, not 12V. (The reason to have two is continuously variable transmission tech. Planetary gear magic lets them use one low torque motor to set the effective gear ratio between other planetary gear input and output shafts.)

One of the functions of these M/Gs is starting the gas engine. Unlike a conventional 12V starter, they're powerful enough to bring the engine up to idle before starting to fire cylinders. This makes starts fast (under 1 second), which enables some key hybrid gas saving features - pull up to a stoplight and it can just shut the engine down, then restart it as soon as you punch the accelerator.

There is still a 12V battery, used to run control and entertainment computers, cabin lighting, A/C, headlights, etc. Critically it's also part of the safety system: the HV battery has a big honkin' disconnector relay to very reliably de-energize the HV bus while the vehicle is powered off. This relay and the computer which controls it are powered by 12V. There is no alternator for the 12V battery, instead it's recharged by a DC-to-DC converter circuit which takes some power from the HV bus while HV is live. (The HV battery is in turn recharged by those motor/generators in generator mode, from mechanical power provided by regen braking and/or the gas engine.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Diving into capacitors is real “gently caress analog circuits” territory

I mean look at this:

An inductor, in my capacitor? The inductance can even be significant? WTF is this bullshit

hey uh idk how to put it but

digital circuits is analog circuits too

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

chaleski posted:

Emily talking about vintage technology is pretty much the only LTT content I still want to watch so I'm very conflicted

Same but the thumbnail is just Linus gurning over a Newton so I didn't watch because I assume the video's mostly going to be Linus' idiot takes. Sorry Emily; if you're reading this, I think you should go independent if you can.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

I thought it was older than that? I could've sworn it was created in the 60s but it's not like there was a commercial market for the tech at the time.

According to wikipedia, a Philips research scientist invented laser-based reflective optical disc technology in 1969. It needed many years of development to become a product, though - Laserdisc didn't hit the market until 1978.

For perspective the first functioning laser to ever exist was made in 1960. By 1969 lasers were probably still too expensive for the home. It's likely one of the development challenges Philips had to overcome was the creation of a small and cheap mass-produced laser.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

A repair or restoration that doesn’t look sufficiently challenging or extensive may not generate adequate hype/attention.

This is also why a lot of tool/bike/metal/etc restoration videos on YouTube use various tricks to make things look more weathered or more damaged than they really are and make repair jobs seem much bigger than what was actually done.

They’ll cover pieces in weathering/rust paint that buffs off, leave stuff in acid or saltwater baths to pick up surface corrosion that looks serious but also comes off with some mild abrasion or solvents, use multiple dummies (ie start with a piece that they can’t fix and cheekily swap in a ringer), etc.

This has generated comedy in the opposite direction. One of the funniest dumbasses I've seen in a while was the youtube commenter who kept insisting that Hand Tool Rescue must be faking all the rust he was removing from some 100 year old antique tool he was restoring.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

priznat posted:

All I will say is Atari ST owners are scum who do not belong in god’s light

What the gently caress you take that back

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

priznat posted:

NEVER!!! :haw:

(I had a friend with an ST and it was a constant battle between me and him on Amiga 500 vs Atari ST)

The Amiga was really a 16-bit successor of the Atari8 platform that was doomed by Commodore's bungling, prove me wrong

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Both parts of that are objectively true but kind of ignore the six years where the Amiga sold millions of units and had a ton of great stuff on it.

Oh for sure, it did have some success. But the management rot was always there and those years were Commodore succeeding in spite of itself, simply because the startup they'd bought had some really cool poo poo and they couldn't completely screw it up right away.

Speaking of this, one of my favorite things about this era is that Amiga was very nearly an Atari product, not a Commodore product. Atari under Time-Warner ownership invested quite a bit into Hi-Toro AKA Amiga Corporation. Jay Miner (the father of both the Atari8 and Amiga chipsets) was able to get some of his old bosses at Atari to buy in. As a result, Atari had some kind of priority right to buy Amiga out - if anyone else made an offer, Atari could choose to match that price and automatically win.

Then Jack Tramiel departed Commodore in high dudgeon after a fight with its board, and bought Atari to get himself back into the personal computer market for a revenge tour. He lured some engineers away from Commodore to build the ST, essentially a 16-bit version of the C64 concept which Tramiel knew and loved. Make something cheap yet capable, and you're sure to move millions of units. What could go wrong?

Folks at Amiga got wind of all this beforehand and didn't like it. They were at the stage where they needed either another round of investment or a buyout, and they didn't want to risk working for Tramiel, who had a reputation. Sure he might have poached some Commodore engineers, but if he got wind of Amiga, maybe he'd go with them instead. So they worked hard to quietly shop the company around, hoping to cut a deal that would get lost in the noise and confusion at Atari as Tramiel took over. This worked, but the monkey's paw curled. With the benefit of hindsight, it might well have been worse to end up working for Commodore's management than Tramiel.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

watho posted:

it's insane how he started making those videos like 2 years ago and is already making thr best videos on the platform

I haven't watched any of that guy but I feel certain this guy is strong competition

https://www.youtube.com/@bobbyfingers/videos

watch from oldest posted to newest, there's only four videos so far and there's a beautiful progression (of sheer insanity as well as production values, which start out high)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

priznat posted:

Mercury just adds that extra zing

this reminded me of a youtube which led to one of the greatest tietuesday streams of all time

try it for zest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eysAjDnT468

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

I guess you could say that Linus should ignore Framework's existence from a content perspective if he wants to remain truly objective while being invested in them, but - considering that part of the point of the (not very large, at least initially) investment was to promote the mission of repairable hardware - keeping it quiet seems a bit contrary to that.

Investing in any hardware manufacturer, no matter what the reason, means he and his organization can't really do objective reviews of anything Framework sells. It was a poor ethics choice, but that's typical of Linus.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Aaronicon posted:

Not just what Framework sells; he now has a financial incentive to make all products that compete with Framework look bad, so all laptop reviews or whatever the gently caress else Framework sells.

Yeah that's what I meant, worded it poorly. When LTT reviews a different vendor's version of anything Framework makes, that review is just as suspect as a review of the Framework product.

priznat posted:

He could probably frame it like his reviews are just entertainment and not meant to be taken seriously because come on look at that clown

He could, but he's been making an explicit push to try to be regarded as more respectable and objective, what with the big investments in labs and so forth. Owning stock in any company which makes things LTT reviews isn't compatible with that.

I work for a giant multinational company and the horrifically boring ethics in business trainings they assign every so often never stop at "don't be corrupt you dipshits", they go on with "Stay the gently caress away from anything which could have the appearance of being corrupt, even if you think you're a special boy who can do it ethically". Linus is someone who thinks he's that special boy.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't, just because of how much of production carbon footprint lies in logistics and shipping.

Also modularization and system reliability are in tension. The entire history of electronics is that higher integration generally improves system reliability even though it decreases repairability. I don't pretend to know exactly where the carbon footprint minimum is on the dimension whose extremes are "LRU is the whole system" and "LRU is a single transistor", but it's not immediately obvious that a system design like Framework's is that optimal point, or whether it's better than a more integrated design.

shorter version: Connectors are a gently caress

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

It's great that it's that simple for your workflow, but some folks install applications with detailed configuration which might not necessarily be carried over by the OS's cloud backup. The fact that you don't deal with it doesn't mean it's "not a thing".

Apple doesn't actually offer cloud backup for MacBooks, don't know what the other poster was talking about, but they do have a feature called Migration Assistant and it is loving magic at copying all your poo poo from one Mac to another.

Thanks to this my setup is now ancient. It started out Intel and is now Apple Silicon. It's been migration'd and upgraded so many times I've lost count and don't even remember exactly when I last started over from scratch. There's probably people out there who have Mac user accounts first created on a PowerPC Mac working fine after two CPU transitions.

They have a very similar process for migrating old-iPhone-to-new-iPhone. Apple makes sure it's very low friction to move to new hardware.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

aeiou posted:

On my M1 MacBook Air at about half brightness when this scrolled into view my Mac cranked up the backlight but also made everything else dimmer to compensate. It was pretty subtle and i didn't really notice what it was doing at first. I'm pretty sure this screen isn't a true HDR screen as if the brightness is already all the way up the video doesn't look any brighter then the rest of the display. Still that's a cool trick.

Yeah, Airs don't have true HDR displays, that's reserved for the 14" and 16" MacBook Pro. The 14/16 MBPs have a grid of about 10000 mini-LED backlights to provide local dimming or local super-brightness.

To be honest this still produces an effect similar to what you describe, because our perception of what is white, light gray, dark gray, or black is far more context dependent than you might think - the checker shadow illusion is a good demonstration. I use my 16" MBP in light mode, so all the UI elements are white or close to white, but when I open a HDR video in a window and it shows my eyes something massively brighter than the former brightest white, well, all that old bright stuff suddenly looks dim and gray.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

We need to reinvent gods so that they can all come arrest HP, because they have commited not just crimes and felonies like the title suggests, but actual sins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssob-7sGVWs

Society's to blame if you ask me. The Microsoft-Intel duopoly eroded away all the sane ways for PC hardware vendors to differentiate themselves, leaving them to grasp at straws like this. And the original sin behind the most horrible thing covered in that video was Intel putting SMM into the 386SL.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Steve should have bought beOS. Every release of Mac OS drives us further from god.

Negotiations to buy Be were under Gil Amelio. Apple's board decided to buy NeXT instead because NeXT's OS was feature complete (beOS was a bit too tech demo in 1996, lots of stuff wasn't there yet), and it came with a side order of Steve Jobs. Also, JLG tried to demand too much for Be, thinking he was Apple's only option. (They did pay more than JLG's asking price to acquire NeXT, but they were getting a lot more.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

I don't think he meant that the Walkman was the last of these moments (hell the PC came 2 years after the Walkman), more than the Walkman was a good example of this kind of "product that shapes the world around it" moment. But also you could make the argument that the smart phone wasn't really its own thing more than it was a combination of a bunch of other things, which is literally how Apple introduced the iPhone as a phone, iPod and web browser combined.

I mean, that argument cuts both ways, doesn't it? Portable Compact Cassette players and recorders existed long before the first Walkman, the Walkman just shrunk it down enough to fit in a large pocket.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

karoshi posted:

The palm pilot was a well-executed dramatically less ambitious apple newton :colbert:

Granted, this worked in its favor early on, as Newton was way too ambitious for its time and suffered badly from 1990s Appleitis (potentially cool technology, pathological inability to put it together in a good and focused product).

Later on, the things that made Palm OS good on very constrained hardware made it age badly.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

he comments on that at the beginning and why he's still doing it (hint: he thinks it's good and everyone else is missing out on why, which is a pretty gravis take)

Dude does seem to fall in nerd love with certain kinds of technological trash. If you ask me this machine was just an overpriced and awkwardly huge laptop that doubled as a bad TV and TiVO. Not too hard to understand why it failed - people don't like spending lots of money on products that try to do too many things and as a result do all of them poorly - but man did he ever spend a minute rambling about how it was actually a prestige/concept car type project that could've worked if only it was marketed better.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

It doesn't seem like it did those things badly though? Today sure with a bunch of the signals it relies upon disabled but nothing he showed looked like it wasn't working as I'd expect a machine of that era to work.

Arivia posted:

I’m not finished the video yet but I’ve watched two of the three videos Gravis showed at the beginning as examples of recent reviews of the same machine and neither of them even mentioned the remote control. He’s on a whole other level from the other YouTube coverage of it.

What I was trying to say is that Gravis' love for details like the remote seem to have blinded him to how unappealing the whole was. If you wanted a ~20" LCD TV, DVR, DVD player, or Windows laptop computer in 2006, great standalone devices were available. People didn't want all these things mashed into a single oversized Homerlaptop, especially when many of the features were arguably worse than the standalone alternatives.

While I'm being a grump, another annoying ramble in that video was all his naive theorycrafting about it being a concept car for Dell executives to brag about at company parties, and if only they'd been more dedicated to marketing and promoting it, maybe it coulda been a contender??? This was just a terrible analogy. Concept cars are typically hand-built one-offs created by the artistic side of the company, not engineering or manufacturing. They're often barely functional as cars, because they don't have to be anything other than pretty. This Dell, though, was a production machine. Some of the details Gravis showed prove it - those magnesium case components were probably made with a metal injection molding process, and that means some tool and die machinists got paid to make very expensive molds. Same goes for all the custom plastic parts. They invested a bunch in production tooling, and probably didn't make it back.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

trilobite terror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/live/hZL_qri7x5w?si=FDVAjvguVw0vlTEw

only posting this for the title

if it changes: I am not buying a super computer

please warn when posting LMG videos some of us do not want that poo poo infecting our youtube algorithm thanks

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

I know all this, just saying that it's nice to tag what you're linking. I do not wish to have to spend even a millisecond on closing the window when it's a LMG video, just make it possible for me to glance at your link and move on. Common courtesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

IDK how it is for the other vendors but what stands out to me in modern iPhone repair procedures is that the biggest thing which makes them difficult to work on is waterproofing.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/104922

Virtually all the difficulty and pain here is the adhesive ring which seals the display glass to the phone's frame. Makes it hard to take apart, and nigh impossible to reassemble with a proper seal if you don't have the right tooling and don't carefully follow procedures. These downsides of adhesive seals seem unavoidable without greatly increasing the weight and size (particularly thickness) of the phone - you'd need a lot of additional rigid material to compress a rubber O-ring seal. Thin and light is a competitive advantage, so companies are going to design for that, so end user repairability takes the hit.

The paradox is that waterproofing might actually reduce overall ewaste. It saves a ton of phones from early graves, and there's lots of shops where end users can get their battery or screen replaced for a reasonable fee, so kinda not even doing a bit: who's to say whether it's good or bad?