Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly, these days the best way to research a model of car you're interested in is to hit forums. Obviously it isn't great for the model that just dropped two months ago, but even so you can extrapolate a bit based on past performance. Things tend to skew a bit towards people griping, but it's like reading the 1 star reviews on amazon. You get a pretty good feel for what can go wrong.

Quoting car review chat from last week, but is there any car reviewers out there that actually seriously engage with driver assistance features on cars these days? Not even Tesla self driving plowing into children kinda stuff, but regular rear end lane keeping, how well ACC works (and what scale of object it detects), and whether you can use it all the way to a stop (hella useful for heavy traffic), collision warnings, etc.

When I was in the market a few years ago I was really disappointed to see nobody bothering to even mention that stuff, with reviewers apparently much more focused on how fun they felt to drive, presumably with that stuff turned off. A side effect of car reviewers all being Car Guys I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Shipon posted:

Car I bought recently has lane keep assist/adaptive cruise control and I have to say it's like, kind of neat but also it dulls your attention while using it and that's the real danger

:shrug: I have not found that to be the case at all. I actually use it on the highway section of my regular commute even though it's only like 5 minutes, very nice to just park it on the speed limit and be able to observe what's going on and not have to monitor my speed at all, or really any indications from inside the car.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My lane keeping (VW) is really gentle, just feels like a really gentle nudge, or a rumble if it thinks you're about to hugely run out of your lane. I honestly wish it was a little more aggressive, I've rented Hyundai/Kias before and the lane keeping will try pretty aggressively to keep you right in the center of the lane, rather than just not straying outside of it, and I quite liked it.

Subaru's implementation of lane centering also seemed pretty good, though as I recall it was only available on the fancy Legacy I test drove.

But yeah radar based ACC owns bones, and collision avoidance where it just stomps on the brakes for you if it thinks you're going to hit the thing in front of you is a fantastic feature. Hopefully Europe will just start requiring it on new vehicles, and then it'll trickle in the North American market in <checks notes> 30 years.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 16, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

priznat posted:

Folding Ideas is great for pacing I find, they’re often long videos but they don’t feel long. Dan does a great job on the writing.

I would chalk that up to Dan having a tech degree in film making and I assume real editing experience. But yeah his stuff is real good.