Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Frankly, I think those long videos are just bad. It's like Lex Fridman doing 2,5 hour interviews. There's a reason journalists have editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Klyith posted:

Random ad segments anywhere in the video is a loving unwatchable experience.
So are ads all across your search results and paragraphs of blog content but that hasn't stopped anyone yet.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

Argentina for $2/mo
Or, as they call it in Argentina, three months' wages.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I usually do it by using a secondary account called "namlosh"

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

HTTPS proxying isn’t a thing, right? Otherwise I could see some PiHole like solution popping up, that scrubs HTML and JS files as they’re being downloaded.
I think AdGuard on Android supports HTTPS by installing its own certificate.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I mostly switched to Chrome because Firefox had this long period of being very bloated and having so much memory leaks it would barely last a few hours.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
As I mentioned upthread, I used to use AdGuard for Android which creates a local VPN that routes all your traffic. This way, you can get adblocking for a lot of stuff on Android, including Chrome. It really hogs battery though (on the level of having to charge my phone in the early evening vs. having battery left when going to bed).

I've switched to using NextDNS which works less well but still blocks enough ads to be very useful. The benefit of using a hosted DNS provider versus something like a self-hosted PiHole is that my ads are still blocked when I'm not on my WiFi at home, but the battery doesn't get drained like with AdGuard for Android.

It still feels weird to pay for a service like this so any suggestions for setting up PiHole in such a way that all mobile devices in the family can use it (even from mobile or on other WiFi networks) is welcome. Well, a way that doesn't expose it to randos, I mean.

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 19, 2023

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

3des these nuts posted:

*laughs in single core*
*laughs in single megahertz*

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

I bought it for off him for $20. Minty C64, 1541 and 1702. Still have them in the garage. Fired them up during COVID quarantine and played Flight Sim 2 and Ghostbusters. Yeeesh, some things are better left as memories.
I also had a C64 growing up but it was always hooked up to lovely televisions. I dug out my old C64 from my parent's attic a few years ago and dropped a good chunk of money on a mint 1702 on our equivalent of eBay and then I...fired it up once a month for 15 minutes or so.

There are only a few games on the C64 that I enjoyed replaying, the rest just kinda sucks, unfortunately. Sam's Journey is genuinely cool though.

I did spend the time transferring my old disks to my PC though, so my old programming experiments weren't lost. Donated the disks to a local Atari 8-bit User Group afterwards, sacrilege!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

priznat posted:

For high quality, low frequency of output I just love Pat Finnerty’s “what makes this song stink” series. It has a whole lore being developed over the course of the series with extremely dense jokes and callbacks. I was so happy when he put out a new one recently after being away for a while due to back issues.
Never heard of him, but already enjoying the third episode right now.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I roll my eyes every time I see the runtime is 10:01. You get an extra ad when your video hits 10:00. Once you start looking for it you'll see it everywhere.
There's this retro channel, Modern Vintage Gamer, and literally every video of his is over 10 minutes. There's so much padding I'm not watching his stuff anymore.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
That personal announcement was delightful.

Also, keep in mind that Neil is not only restoring these machines but actively showing them in a museum he built himself. Additionally, he organizes meetings where people from the UK game development scene of the 80s and 90s come in and do presentations and he puts those presentations up on YouTube for free as well.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
whose nuts.wad?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Whenever the Framework laptop is not on screen, the other laptops should be asking "Where's the Framework laptop?"

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
He'll throw in a free assault rifle too, if you ask nicely

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

TearsOfPirates posted:

Plus I love that he always goes into every video clearly explaining what the product/technique is good for. He's a true rarity on YouTube.
In that case I can also recommend Hames Joffmann's videos.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Do you think his parents got the idea for his name after getting their ultrasound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

It's like they decided to innovate farming by making farm animals eat their own poo poo instead of food.
so ai is like the last part of a human centipede, basically