Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's funny reading poo poo like this was a vicious takedown.

GN dude meekly pointed out poo poo and gave Linus a ton of leeway and good grace to explain away the issues and a path forward.

Biggest kid gloves take down I've ever seen.

And also yeah the Emily taking a step back thing sucks for all sorts of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
* tax write-off

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Linus? Turn down money?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The journalistic standards poo poo just falls apart by the very fact that it wasn't an expose it was an opinion piece.

People taking up arms around that are just can't defend against the thesis of the argument.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
That's not criticism it's nitpicking

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
This being the catalyst for the team to unionize would be very funny.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Combat Pretzel posted:

What does that mean? There was an existing video where that card happened to turn up, or are they going to turn this shitshow into more content?

Company sent a prototype for testing with a video card. Linus takes the video card off the block uses a different GPU and uses 2 staff that haven't had water cooling build experience and makes a video trashing it because he thinks it's over priced. He gets called out for the using a different GPU and not giving it a fair shake. Basically says it would cost to much to do so when the outcome is still it's an over priced useless product.

Found out later that not only did he auction off the block itself but he also lost the card it was originally attached to and just recently found it via his weird content.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lister posted:

Nitpicking is Linus saying that it was wrong of GN to say the block was sold instead of auctioned for charity. That's a non-substantive change. What I'm talking about isn't so minor.

Disagree.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founder%27s_syndrome

Linus, the diagnosis is not good.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Whatever happens, it'll be funny.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Funny that the whole "he didnt do his journalistic best practices" is all around some poo poo GN only inserted to give LMG the biggest out, served on a silver platter, known to the youtube tech space.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is this the first we're hearing of an outside investigation or was that in the video?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Come on LTT staff. Unionize. It'll be the funniest thing..

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
TBF an editor also kept it in. Teamwork!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Man all these Linus stans asking for evidence of sexual assault must have been sleeping through the whole me too movement and the national conversation around sexual harassment in the workplace.

What's that? Im hearing they don't care? Wow...

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haha the reddit is like "Wow guys they did the bare minimum can we just like stop?!"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
When they got hacked they for some reason put in Linus nude walking around reacting when he got the call.

Apparently one of the employees agreed to do it and started from a blurred screen and did a reverse blur so no cock and balls were viewed.

That's the story anyway.

Still weird

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, this has almost happened to me a few years in years past.

Now I’m back to just using a giant gently caress-off Fractal Torrent.

The guys that built my PC knocked off $15 because the fractal is so easy to build in.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9uVSKLYUI

Lol no thanks

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
LOL they auctioned another thing they didn't own.

(The hot wheels case in the auction)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Charles Leclerc posted:

Chris Maher's channel is really pushing me to up my LED game at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNDikt7VfRw

As cool as DIY Perks' projects are, this sort of thing is so much more accessible for a moron with power tools and Amazon Prime.

Holy poo poo

A sub 4 minute video posted after 2020.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah small business brain strikes again, no one cares about pizza parties, you have a bunch of people aging into having families and poo poo, they want to spend time with their children and not die early.
Linus you dumb rear end in a top hat.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Does he own starforge?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Eh if the video is really "why we did or didn't reach out for comment," just seems like a reaction to a petty response in the first place.

That video isn't going to change anyone's mind. Anyone who is legitimately holding that opinion isn't doing it for valid reasons, just purely emotional ones.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Did MKBHD do car reviews first?

Linus probably just saw a market opportunity and dealerships wanting to throw him inventory for review.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Anit-WEF click bait title is a bit much linus.

Jesus christ.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
He seems not great!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I block youtube recommends simply because I have zero willpower and will be in a youtube hole for the night if something didn't break it.

Now that there are ads i doubt i will spend much time there at all.

Goodbye sweet tech youtube, where will I learn about products I'll never buy now?!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Harminoff posted:

I have YouTube premium so don't have this problem, but would setting the DNS on your phone to

Dns.adguard.com

Work?

Youtube serves ads and videos from the same IP addresses so DNS blocking doesn't work iirc.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
At least with youtube red, you got something extra. Now they are just putting up a wall for a situation they ignored for years with no value proposition beyond "gently caress you pay me"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I turned off adblock for like 10 minutes and got like 3 IDF ads in a row.

No thank you.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
"Im not going to go to CES I know you'll send me the good stuff on twitter".

Wow thanks MB

Really showing your love for the industry.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 4, 2024

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
LOL 4 videos in like 8 hours for LTT.

Really taking that "they seem overworked" to heart.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

njsykora posted:

I'd give them a pass today, CES is happening and it seems like every parts manufacturer had their embargo end at the same time. So these were probably made in a single shoot. GN had 2 videos go up about half an hour apart and Paul's Hardware I think had 3.

Fair enough

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Framework seems like a neat idea if you want non standard modules to be "built in" to your laptop. Like if you could fit a decent DAC into one of the I/O mods id probably be down.

For about 20% less than what its currently.

and if I ever needed a laptop.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Whats with that dude and baminton.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Linus has a weird tone deaf april fools day prank video up.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Its best to be experienced

They move offices into a house because they can't afford offices anymore due to declining viewership, sales and THE INCIDENT

Just another tech top gear bullshit video

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Car audio usually has it going the other way.

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is sort of a dumb question: you have something like the Playstation, where plugging headphones into the 3.5mm jack works just fine, but they've locked wireless connectivity behind proprietary Sony headsets

or the Switch, which did not support Bluetooth audio until months (years?) after its initial release

is it not possible to have a device that plugs into a 3.5mm jack, and makes the source think that it's a regular old pair of wired headphones, but it takes the audio input and broadcasts it over Bluetooth, and it's this device that connects to your Bluetooth headset? I can't possibly be the first person to have ever thought of this.

but you can find a transmitter/reciver.

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Transmitter-Simultaneously-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B08TQSH636/

Wow everyone is so helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haha the exact next post on their profile is a RT from LTT