Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I like Linus and he can do whatever he wants in the privacy of his own home in regards to hanging dong; but I do agree that maybe showing the home security cam footage of himself freeballing while trying to fight this particular fire, in his YT video explaining what had happened, was maybe just a bit much.

He's just doing YT a favor to see if his videos will still get banned. Gotta make sure the algorithm works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: I got an ad for this the other day.

LMAO

That looks like something that will get made fun of from the Williams Sonoma Catalog for Christmas.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I wonder if Linus saw this coming and tried to head it off by not being in charge of his own company anymore having the other guy he used to work with as a fall guy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Okay I'm on page 227 of reading this about Linus's poo poo show, just........loving wow and gently caress this guy and his company.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

ArsTechnica does this with their luxury car coverage and it’s pretty funny to see. The comments section is always mad they’re not reviewing Nissan Versas but they’re not the ones paying for day trips to San Diego.

It's loving infuriating Ars also does this on their rocket coverage handling SpaceX with kid gloves.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

My biggest pet peeve on mechanical restoration channels is when, instead of machining the replacement part of the critically rusted out part, they just chuck everything in a rustoleum vat and call it a day. Putting a ton of bondo on a pitted/holed out part and then repainting it seems a bit like a fake out.

Wood working channels like Blackstone, and or random old cabinet restorations are my jam. For the longest time I would watch like metal workers fix up "old" knives and antique axes that's also pretty satisfying in all the different methods to get rust off of stuff. I'll do poo poo like that once a year to remove all the rust on my grill and seal it in mineral spirits and vegetable oil.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Today's derail is sponsored by the Ridge wallet!

If you really want to put a dent in your rear end cheek, choose Ridge wallet with their sturdy steel!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

mewse posted:

All hands hostage video "I'm doing my part to stop sexual harassment"

All I can see is the "Starship Troopers" propaganda of kids and adults squishing roaches.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

You start your drinkin early, it makes for setting things up harder cause you kept drinking!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

just wait until corps find out that real team building happens from shared trauma

When I worked at Fry's circa 2005-2006, that's how we all legit bonded. Just drinking being in early mid 20s and hating where we worked. Gaming their systems was one of the only perks of working there, having a Supervisor label something on clearance when it was some fancy new DLP TV for someone as long as they bought the warranty to make the store numbers look good, or keeping a processor that was in super high demand for someone so they could get a discount on it.

And then just getting absolutely blasted at a bar after closing.

poo poo retail is probably the only time I could see after hours drinking and bitching about work be any kind of helpful.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

The all aluminum Lian Li PC cases from the mid 2000s to around 2015 or so did this too. It was so easy to build PCs in those cases.

Here's a PC-v352 case which I had and still regret getting rid of.

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/legacy-products/cases/haf-xb-evo/

I keep wishing that CoolerMaster would make an update to this case I'd love to use it as a media Pc.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

priznat posted:

Sirius XM paid Conan $150 mil for his podcast empire a few months back I just learned.

My data plan in canada has not bad data cap but in my area I rarely get to use it because the coverage is poo poo

Man that's all? Conan got a bad deal, then again the empires of networks like Nerdist have long since been pretty dead.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wasn't the sound quality of media on laserdisc supposed to be like super good for it's time?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

hitchens posted:

One of the latest Baumgartner videos gave me those vibes in the beginning. It was just so bad I wish it was fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-p8_O1Alhk

The person who hosed it up SIGNED it? :stare:

Love this channel I'll fall asleep to it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I thoroughly enjoyed that intro.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol if you aren’t watching all the Taskmaster seasons

Fixed for me.

Since GN has been making GBS threads all over the "new" Intel gen of procs, does anyone else think that with the slower-ish output of LTT vids, that they're just waiting for other credible channels to do formulas and math work so they can just copy paste to make sure they don't gently caress up results again?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Seconding never using uBlock and NoScript and never seeing anything blocking my poo poo. Then again I'm never signed into my account via browser, and only signed on that way on my phone via the app where I can't help but be bombarded by unskippable ads all the loving time. Plus I have my browser delete everything related to my browsing history after I close it. Firefox user.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kibner posted:

Failure to meet revenue goals.

Which is hilarious cause they're now pretty much funded for a whole year. There needs to be a Patreon goal to get Hollywood celebrity Rich Evans to do a D&D campaign with Yahtzee and Jack.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

slidebite posted:

I saw that story on my google feed, lol

If its the one I think it is, they're talking about people ditching chromium based and going to Firefox.

Good job Google.

Is that why I've never got those weird notifications whenever I watch YouTube?? Lol and lmao.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gamers Nexus doing some best of 2023 stuff here's GPUs

https://youtu.be/EJGfQ5AgB3g?si=vfJ1MsxCz24fQ0d8

Here be CPUs

https://youtu.be/zggNjikFRMQ?si=KOW6QjLLSmeGLEyN

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gamer Jesus making the rounds being a free employee at Micro Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt9Pb1sNXBY

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel fairly confident predicting that "wearing a screen on your face" will not become the standard way of interacting with a computer

Johnny Mnemonic disagrees with you :smug:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

throwing out a recommendation here for ESOTERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEiwmhQdPPA

For the first five minutes I'm totally all in on this thank you. Not only does it sound fascinating, it so far seems like AWESOME asmr stuff for me to pass out to and possibly give me horrible Eldritch nightmares.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

Gamers Nexus have just released their review of the production/release version of the Billet Labs monoblock (you know, the one Linus auctioned off).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1nDf0GYZU

I like the concept, and I wish something like this could be applied to current gen consoles as a way to solve their cooling issues from the poo poo console body design along with heat exhaust ports.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

priznat posted:

Even the series X? I thought that had some really excellent cooling design from the “stack” design to the whole Vapor chamber thing.

It is decent but it's just ultimately fan noise that gets to me. Plus why would you want an Xbox if you already have a PC? That would theoretically have a better cooling solution than an X-Box.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is absolutely a "me" problem but I do a lot of gaming on the console lately because the PC is where "work" is, or is mentally associated with, and stepping away from it helps segregate the activities in my brain

I really only use consoles when it's games that can really only be played on console, Switch, PS4/5 if you don't want to wait a year to play something. It's nice to sit on the couch and play something on an 80in TV with good sound. I just hate the exhaust whine of the Playstation, Switch barely has any moving parts inside it, so there's no complaints there. Plus pretty much all my multiplayer game time is done on PC, PUBG, Hunt, Apex. Everything else outside of that is played through GamePass and it's super convenient. I have a work laptop, and a personal setup. Once work is done I just put the laptop away and hit a different video input to be on my personal machine, it also helps my office is pretty comfortable and I sit all day on a Fern.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

Games are a relaxing thing for a lot of people and it's nice to just know that (buggy games and 30fps/60fps menu choices notwithstanding) you can just load up a game and it'll work on the console and look how the developers intend it to look.

Like because I have a PC with a 3070 in it I can't justify this round of consoles, and it lives under the TV as an ersatz console now, but I do get sucked into obsessing over graphics settings and wondering if I've got everything optimised in the best way between looking as nice as possible and playing as smoothly as possible. It (by which I mean I) kind of ruined Cyberpunk for me until I just gave up on raytracing so that I could crank all the other settings up and play the game nice and smoothly.

It's good to just let go of that poo poo with a console and play the game as-is without second guessing.

I mean there's lots of other things that can be less than smooth, debugging, weird Windows stuff (my xbox game bar on PC hasn't worked in a long time and I don't know why), installs and updates misbehaving. You solve so much of that with a closed system of a console.

It's also still not as elegant as it should be to just use as a gaming device. I need to dig out a mouse and keyboard to log on, mouse over to the game launchers - I can't just do it all with a controller.

DS4Windows lets you use a dualshock controller with the touchpad on it as a really sensitive mousepad and left click, it can't do right clicking unfortunately.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

kliras posted:

in other tech youtuber news, gamers nexus have started using kryosheet paper to reduce variability in results with thermal paste. pretty cool that it's viable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQHKCjuYTVQ

Yay! New Fractal case to drool over.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Qrs_J-NmY

Honestly, I'm game for the back-of-board connectors if only for the ergonomics. Trying to plug in fan headers and power cables with a huge heatsink in the way is and always will be a gigantic pain in the rear end.

A shame that cable cover/GPU support block doesn't come with the case, also :laffo: at the rats nest it hides in the back, manufacturer should at least pony up for all the ties and clips you'll need to make that poo poo organized. And maybe even supply right angled connector heads to make sure the cables can be flush. Neat concept that I hope becomes way more normalized, but you can tell where they skimped.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/AHfmA1zlGZU?si=XrklfAvd0FHKTfeE

Steve going off on PC Case company that is probably ripping off Hyte!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Inept posted:

stop giving us updates about linus tech tips videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swoIPD7EvEw

Here! Have a video that's a breakdown of video compression and Youtube done by Gamer Jesus

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/nwtPrG14uQk?si=3355en3mHD0LvcXw

Measuring Coil Whine with frickin lazer beams.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This is gonna be real good. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Man he needs an editor.

I really don't see how it isn't edited properly when this entity, Gamer's Nexus, isn't a huge news corp reporting on all of this. They do this on their own because they feel it's newsworthy and put things into as much detail as possible to make sure facts are not misconstrued or manipulated in anyway.

News, print, radio, television,USED to take their time in reporting things. The only other program that I could compare something like this would be Frontline which is INCREDIBLY dense and thorough in reporting, but also has way more cash reserves to do their in-depth pieces.

Steve wanting to get people that were laid off, and or soon to be laid off employed is really loving cool.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 28, 2024