Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
“At least double what it should be” describes basically every home repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

repiv posted:

im selling VCD camrips of linus videos, any takers

You fool, that’s how you end up with a video that has a photoshopped thumbnail of Linus looking baffled while holding up a CD with a bright red Jolly Roger clipart on it, and a title of “I watched my pirated videos AND PAID MONEY FOR IT?!”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

MarcusSA posted:

I hate it when a video reminds you how old you are

https://youtu.be/MngTH_mh_Is?si=uYq7_fylfFMCr_0r

He and I are almost the same age, and had strikingly similar SimCity journeys (I once made a collage out of art files on the SC2K CD, though SC2K for DOS is the “definitive” version of it for me). SC3K did end up being my favorite SimCity as well, and it still pisses me off that EA killed the iOS version of it.

I’m one of the top 100 streamers of the SC3K soundtrack on Apple Music two years running, lol.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
To be fair, YouTube comments are loving dire.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sorry if this is too off-topic but idk where else to put it

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSFUCb42m/

There's this whole series of videos like this showing off artisanal craftsmanship, but one day I noticed that there's this strobing effect where it's like every other frame is dimming. It's incredibly distracting, but also it doesn't happen to most other videos on the platform?

Does anyone know what's going on? I know that sometimes people apply filters when they're posting footage of movies so they don't get copyright struck but that doesn't feel like it in this case.

Not an expert, but I’d assume it’s some artifact from frame rate conversion or AI upscaling of some kind where frames are getting interpolated.

EDIT: Or maybe it’s a recording of an LED screen and the video camera’s shutter speed isn’t quite in sync with the screen? Quality looks too high to me for that, though.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 7, 2024

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

tracecomplete posted:

Modern mini-LED displays (so not Samsung's older QLED stuff, though I haven't tried their newer TVs) are as good or better at rendering contrast ranges as OLED. I like my LG OLED TV just fine and the color reproduction might be a touch better, but like, Apple didn't move to mini-LED instead of OLED because they wanted "good enough".

The rumor mill says that they’re moving iPad Pro to OLED in the next month or so, which is good because even with the gazillion dimming zones, the light bleed is pretty noticeable (dark mode and a mouse is a recipe for a glowy box surrounding your cursor). I think the issues preventing them from going with OLED previously were cost and yield.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
We have a larger non-OLED TV for the living room and a smaller (though still comically larger than any TV we owned until probably 2017) OLED TV for our bedroom.

My wife says she can’t tell the difference, but she’s glad the OLED makes me happy, lol.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

It’s an especially insane way of looking at that review which, other than the title, is pretty drat even-handed.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

repiv posted:

steve nexus is going after edvard waterblock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b73xG1HlFhY

Maybe this is just because the only two GN videos I’ve seen have been reading someone for filth, but if he’s going to go with the “uninterrupted :words: with no pauses” style of delivery, he desperately needs better writing and editing. When the video can be reduced to…

• We’ve found EK is behind on payments to # suppliers for as much as $.
  • We’ve found EK is behind on paying # employees up to # months of wages and # months of raises.
  • EK sent an insane C&D to an employee for speaking out.
  • Despite being unable to pay anyone, EK is paying for a trade show booth worth $.
  • EK reps tried to pay GN for coverage.

…It shouldn’t take six minutes a bullet to cover it. I wish he’d invest more time in editing down the writing, doing more takes, and editing down the video, because holding folks accountable is valuable in this space, but this format is only reducing the addressable audience.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Koskun posted:

… EK … der8auer … Jay2cents … Thermalgrizzly …

:ohno:

I am being forced to confront the fact that I have no idea how any of this works anymore.

I used to have a job building and repairing computers for people.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Radium was actually Elon Musk, which explains the load-bearing slurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
IMO, here’s a concrete example of what some folks are getting at:

Gamers Nexus posted:

But there’s one other name that caught us off guard, and that we weren’t expecting: Kathryn Silberstein. We brought you this video with our brand new, limited edition cyber skeleton foil t-shirt that we just posted on store.gamersnexus.net…

It was so abrupt that I genuinely thought my Adblock had hiccuped. There was no pause or break in cadence - it was the YouTuber editing equivalent of that time where someone on BSG shot themselves and it cut to a commercial of tomato soup.

And on top of that, instead of following up the ad block with something to reconnect with viewers like “Kat Silberstein presided over some extreme failures in leadership,” then describing them, there was more than seven minutes talking about seemingly unrelated topics, until we get to “Kat Silberstein would have still been CEO at the time…” Then, the video drops that line of discussion (that they actually had the receipts for) to basically say “it probably happened because she was too busy vacationing and schmoozing” after IG stalking her.

I get that for most, YouTube is a platform where you basically have to keep producing or die, and the news cycle moves on quickly, and I think GN is operating from a genuine position of good faith on trying to be the voice for some victimized employees. I especially liked that they talked with actual legal and financial professionals, and have set up opportunities for those affected to speak to them too.

But all of that deserves going beyond the “house style,” and not by flying a drone somewhere.