Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

As a non parent queer person who grew up in an anti queer christian household, I certainly know both the dangers of having unfettered internet access, but also what would have happened to me if my parents were ever smart enough to figure out what I was doing, and also how important it was for me to have that access to figure out what was going on with me.

I also know that the internet I grew up with in the late 90s/early 00's is nothing compared to what the internet is now. While there were plenty of dangers, it was fairly easy to use your head, focus on privacy, and avoid the bad stuff. The internet of today however is laser focused to do nothing but serve users an unending torrent of horrible, horrible things, things that can warp a mind that is not tuned to identify and ignore those things. We have large movements of people trying to recruit young kids to white supremacist movements. We have server clusters with thousands of cores who's sole purpose is to track your movements across the internet and feed you laser focused advertisements for things and services that are actively harmful. We have content farms churning out cool pranks and fake science and dangerous food recopies all targeted towards the 13-20 year old market.

As a non parent, I don't know how I could even begin to let my kid get online and respect their privacy without worrying that they're falling into a pit that would be impossible to pull them out of.

Jay is an rear end in a top hat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

If you pay for youtube premium, instead of your adcount going to a channel, your watch time is monetized. So if you use sponsorblock and watch a 10 minute video and 3 of those minutes are ads from the creator, the creator gets paid for your 7 minutes.

Whatever amount they lose because you didn't watch those 3 minutes is immediately outweighed by how much they made taking the sponsor spot. Hence why so many are taking sponsors; they pay out not matter what. Don't sweat it, install sponsorblock.

(this is coming from someone who helps run a youtube channel)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Not clicking on it but this is the guy who slams watercooling into everything even when it doesn't matter so I question his sincerity

it's almost like the video title is clickbait and doesn't really reflect the content of the video.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Clickbait titles would still exist even without the algorithm, because they work on human psychology and human brains love that poo poo.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

stopped being embarrassed by things you like and you'll be a lot happier in life.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

namlosh posted:

Like what you like sure…

But I’ll never understand using both your money and one of your only outlets of self-expression to advertise someone else’s corporation

Nothing is free. You are the product

that backpack is $250, the exact opposite of free.

Also if you're the type of person to care about showing branding on your clothing/items surely you're the type of person with 800 iron on patches just waiting for a project.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think there's a compromise solution that exists between "hanging onto an aging test system and testing ancient games because you're allergic to doing any retests" and "retesting everything every review." GN's test system is aging and could use an upgrade. So could their game suite. They don't need to retest everything every time, but once every big new leap in CPU performance wouldn't be the end of the world. That's what everyone else does.

I dunno about this. Back in the magazine era Quake III was the defacto test game for a *really* long time, even post Half Life 2. I think it sometimes has to do with how built in benchmarks are few and far between in games, and when they do exist sometimes they give very inconsistent numbers. Additionally, if games are constantly rotated, gamers who haven't upgraded their card for a while will have no numbers to compare to. I know people who are still on 900 series nvidia cards starting to think about upgrading, and a long tail game like tomb raider can give them a frame of reference for how much performance they're going to gain.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Lmao using AI to make your thumbnails

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

the screen is directly over the stove

where should the screen go then?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

away from the stove?

but then what do you do for a stove screen?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Screen is going to get crazy gross from cooking residue, though, even with a good vent.

not going to bat for 30 here but it's trivial to clean a screen, and used flat panels are so thick on the ground for next to nothing that I genuinely don't see a problem here aside from the fact that 30 did it.

HKR fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 13, 2024

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

if that new layout is indeed what they're going for I think it's going to be a positive. One of the things I hate about the current youtube layout is how if you want to read the comments while the video is playing you have to scroll past the video. If the comments are moved to the side and can be scrolled independent of the rest of the page it'll solve that complaint.

In re comments in general, once your videos escape the target audience field and start popping up in "normie" feeds, the comments take a huge dip in quality and tone. Shorts exit the target audience field immediately and get fed to the biggest mouth breathers on the site, and the comments are Bad.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

nano for life

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

When I got my first OLED (LG C9), I was shocked at how good the picture was. I hadn't seen a picture with dark scenes that dark since I got rid of my Sony 30XS955 CRT. I've since replaced my primary gaming TV with a LG CX and my desktop monitors with a LG 45GR95QE-B. It's not gaming unless I'm searing my eyes out with HDR at 120+ fps anymore.

Especially with emulators these days; an emulator that can run games in HDR with slang shaders (My preference is the Sonkun presets) can get retro games looking like they're running on a CRT, complete with dot crawl and phosphor trails. It's the wild west out there and oleds are making things we used to think impossible possible.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

The only one contradicting his video is me, based on old experiences and feels without solid proof. I think his time would be better spent on pretty much anything else.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

One way to test the SMM-overwriting-framebuffer vs "other method" would be to do this:

Gravis doesn't have a forums account, but I asked him to write a reply to these comments because I figure he'd be interested. Here's his take:

Gravis posted:

Hey, for future ref I don't mind people disputing my conclusions in the comments - the fact that you're worried about coming off as a dick pretty much means you're not at risk of being one imo. Anyway, here's my take:

It's possible that if I was running Windows 8 or later it could be using the BGRT, but I was running Win 7 in this video and that was never given full UEFI support. Microsoft's official statement (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...boot-mode--why-) is that 7 requires the CSM for "basic video," by which they mean BIOS int 10 services. That includes VGA and the VESA bios extensions; in other words, the usual way to get graphics on the screen without a driver in the pre-UEFI days.

They list "bugchecks and sleep transitions" as int 10 necessities, but I'm sure it includes the bootsplash as well, since if you install 7, then turn off the CSM, it'll usually boot fine - you'll just have no video until you reach a desktop and the real graphics driver initializes. People say the "basic video driver" (e.g. the VESA driver) won't work either without it, and that would use the same BIOS calls. So I'm pretty convinced that the Win 7 bootsplash is not UEFI-aware, but I wouldn't be surprised if they extended Daystarter in anticipation, so it may work as described under Win 8.

At any rate, I hadn't considered the impact of the "No GUI boot" option, so I tested it just now. I still got Daystarter (unless I turn it off in the CMOS setup, in which case I just get the expected blank screen.) This is kinda interesting because the best hypothesis I'd heard is that they're hooking int 10 calls from SMM in order to inject the jpeg every time Windows updates the screen to animate the logo, but if it isn't doing any graphics calls then there's nothing to hook. Of course, I don't really know what that setting does under the hood and couldn't readily find official documentation on it, so maybe it still updates the screen, just with nothing.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Steve's methodology and rigor are miles above the competition and I trust his results completely. I'm glad he has a website where he posts all his results because I cannot stand watching more than a few minutes of any of his videos.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

my first HDTV was one of those Sony CRT HDTVs, KD-34XBR960. 1080i, HDMI input, 200 lbs. It had an amazing image and I loved it, but when I had to move apartments in 2011 I realized it couldn't come with me. I bought a 50inch 1080p Samsung LCD that I hated for years. Terrible input lag, black levels that were more grey than anything. It was "good enough" that we didnt' end up replacing it until 2019 where we got a 77 inch LG oled C9. It blew my mind how good that TV is; its input lag is near CRT levels, and its black levels are a perfect darkness. Coupled with HDR and dolby vision (And properly calibrating said HDR levels, the biggest issue with HDR imo) and I started enjoying movies and TV gaming again.

So much so that I bought a 55inch LG CX for my office the next year for goon cave gaming, and last year bought a 21:9 oled computer monitor for goon cave gaming with a mouse and keyboard. Even retro games have had new life breathed into them with a combination of HDR and CRT shaders. I have access to over a dozen CRTs ranging from PVMs, high end computer monitors and a 29inch arcade cab, and if they were all to die today I wouldn't be terribly put out at this point (Aside from having to haul them all to the recycler). Oled is the real deal.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Marques, you loving idiot, during an eclipse it is even *more* dangerous to point a camera (or your eyes) at the sun until totality.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I was misinformed; I guess I thought the partial blockage did something like focused the UV light but it's just this:

Volte posted:

I think it's just more dangerous for your eyes because your brain isn't sending you the usual "stop looking at the sun you moron" signals while your retinas cook

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

just use a phone that runs java, that should be sun compatible

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

There are tons of factors like original bitrate and codec the camera filmed at, the bitrate and codec the video was compressed to before being uploaded to youtube which does its own codec and bitrate encoding.

Youtubers who film on iPhones in 1080p and upload in 1080p probably aren't getting as much of an impact from 1080p Premium as youtubers who film on black magic pocket 6k's and upload in 4k. Anecdotally, Before 1080p premium if you wanted your 1080p to look good you uploaded a 4k video so youtube would compress the higher bitrate/resolution down as opposed to doing that to a 1080 file with lower bitrate.

I'm unaware if youtube keeps the original file uploaded around to recompress to new codecs (the push to AV1 for example) or if they're just recompressing what they've already recompressed. My guess is that new videos uploaded in 4k will see the best results from 1080p premium, followed by people who upload in 1080p but at high a higher bitrate compared to someone who shoots and edits on their phone.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

GN videos are unwatchable, thank god for the website

also who are you people that print things more than once a year? We bought an old color laserjet for $50 like five years ago and have never had to change the toner.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

This popped up on my homepage; just absolute TelCo nerds getting old phone switching systems up and running and I never would've thought I'd find it all very fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k865-VjWUk8

if you're ever in seattle and have a bored sunday afternoon to kill, The Connections Museum is great.

https://www.telcomhistory.org/connections-museum-seattle/

Seattle phone nerds are powerful

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Playing games on PC is incredibly popular because every single pixel indie hit can run on an i3 2nd gen just fine. Also take into the fact that in many countries consoles simply don't exist but truckloads of 10 year old business laptops are a dime a dozen and the PC has a market share that would make nintendo green with envy.

Also yes, playing candy crush on your phone makes you a gamer. Sorry nerds.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

GNs videos have two problems:

Steve repeats himself a lot

The videos are often written in a way where points don't flow well into each other, usually due to the repeating

The videos are incredibly well researched, the methodology is second to none, but the writing and the presentation take a back seat and the videos suffer. Other creators who write long, well researched videos like hbomberguy, Folding Ideas and Action Button also know how to present their videos in a narratively engaging way.

This is all okay when you're just going over benchmarks, but when you're trying to tell a story that isn't just an info dump of hard data you gotta present it different. I had the same complaints with GNs videos about the last days of Kingpin at EVGA and his investigative video into the small time computer manufacturer that went belly up a couple years ago.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

biznatchio posted:

Imagine thinking there's too much data in a performance review/comparison video and that instead of informational charts you'd rather just see another 10 seconds of Steve's talking head instead.

it could just be a website (which it is, so everybody wins)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

njsykora posted:

Extreme doubt.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

I don't think there's any issue with believing companies should make parts and knowledge available for repair shops or technical consumers while also being thankful that modern popular electronics are so complex that most users don't have the ability or tools to repair them. It's not just Apple products either. Most modern electronics don't have easily serviceable components because consumer expectations for size and performance don't allow them to exist. You want removable cell phone batteries again? Prepare for bulkier phone with lower capacity batteries, and no more wireless charging. You want user replaceable ram in a laptop? It's going to be slower, thicker, and heavier. That's just the reality of modern consumer electronics.

I'd be okay with all of this if in exchange I could just pop over to the best buy and replace the battery of my 5+ year old phone, and probably most people would be too. Very few people care about the thinness of their electronics beyond the initial purchase high of "look how small it is."

Rossman's pet issue is an important one, but him championing it is purely in his own self interest. Any time he opens his mouth on any other topic its pure libertarian/socially conservative vomit.

Not that any of that will matter in his GN appearance, and because he's the single loudest voice on right to repair and consumer protections in the US there's really no one else to bring on as a topic expert. But every time a youtuber brings him on I know I can skip that video and miss nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Where do you live that there aren't 1000 device repair kiosks?

I didn't say I was looking for a repair kiosk, I said I wanted my consumer electronics to be slightly bigger in exchange for the ability to swap out things like a battery on a whim.