Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

because forcing compliance on a company which does not wish to honor them is infeasible

I always thought Canada was a bit more western European, law-wise - don’t they have consumer protection laws and government agencies that ream companies that don’t honor warranties?

Is it really that US-like up north there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The Gillman posted:

Pretty much. We also let the lawyers from large communications companies run the regulators for said companies

Aaahh, so no euro-like regulations like, say, a stovetop is most def supposed to last at least five years so businesses are forced to do warranty repairs or replacements for that long. Warranties can only extend the consumer protections, not reduce them.

I get it - USA jr sounds about right :)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Jamus posted:

I used an ISDN line at home when I was a teenager. All of my friends had ADSL, but we lived a little too remotely, and no ISP was willing to offer us an ADSL service. Apparently, we were a few kilometers outside the maximum radius from the exchange, or something.

Eventually, I found an ISP that was willing to enable our line for ADSL to see what would happen, and the service was really good. I don't miss our ISDN modem blowing up every time there was a thunderstorm nearby.

Haha I had a mate whose ISDN box blew up every thunderstorm. Did people crash into elks a lot outside your place too?

e: I love modern fiber with IPv6 though. So easy to just make your server [your /64prefix]::d3ad:b33f or something, and be able to access it from anywhere with gigabit speeds. If your ISP have proper IPv6 support, that is.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 13, 2023

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

After comparing BG3 on my PC and the M1 Pro MBP: They both get similar framerates but 30-45 fps looks much smoother on the mac. I think variable refresh rate support is what makes the difference. To me, as an old, anything above 90fps is unnoticeable or useless reaction-time wise.

So to me, at least, VRR is much better for smoothness in the 30-60 fps range with underpowered GPU than any benefit post-60 fps.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

See also : the G-Wagen, strong competitor for worst vehicle driven by people who spend more than they should on vehicles. I expect the Cybertruck to appeal to a similar audience of trend-chasing morons.
Except the G-class is actually pretty capable off-road, and has Mercedes-level creature comforts and build quality miles away from anything Tesla could ever bother to do. But don't get me wrong, it's the proud origin of the word "wankpanzer" after all.

e: I misread you and agree wholeheartedly.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

the only way a G Wagen is cool is if you bought it heavily depreciated and turn it into an overlander, you can get one from 15-20 years ago and it’s basically the same car as the ones from today

even better, you get an imported European and/or utility one with a diesel/6 cyl and/or manual. And then you can get them as convertibles, as pickups, as wagons, as personnel transports, ambulances, police cars, you name it

Yeah just get a decommisioned Norwegian military one, keep it green, and run it on 30/70 diesel/paraffin as god intended.

It’s not comfy but at least you’re cooler than the wankers in the new luxury ones.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

What made me finally go Premium was being able to play in the background on the iPhone. uBlock handled everything else on anything else. I'm a poor but it's one of the few things I bother paying for. I think it's worth it - personally. Done fiddling around with apps and scripts and limitations

e: horrible snipe

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

And lay low on plugin use, those are the worst offenders re: updating and sec holes

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

pyrotek posted:

I don't normally feel sorry for marketing people, but this has the feel of some executive being pissed off about... something. They aren't able to identify what that is exactly but demands marketing fix it

Also, the MP3 to MIDI thing in Ableton is about converting the harmony, melody, and drum tracks from recorded material and turning it into midi data which you could use to adjust instrumentation and sounds, etc. MIDI isn't all playing grabbag.mid on your Ultrasound. Not sure how common of a use case it is, and it really only works well with individual tracks and not trying to steal from a produced song, but there it is

That’s what I was gonna say; a PII-300 would never be able to do that in anything close to realtime…

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

I was the first person in the family to have a computer; Amiga 500, so much fun with Deluxe Paint back then.... i learned Guru Meditation as well. :rock:

You were really able to keep your balance on the joyboard? Kudos. You must be awesome at yoga ;)

Edit for history: First computer: SVI 738 X’Press with a bunch of the greatest Quickshot controllers. Then an Olivetti (PCS-46 chassis) 486 SX-25, 4 MB RAM, 170 MB Conner HD. Original SB16 and 2x CD drive. Upgraded with a DX2-50 in the separate Overdrive CPU slot, 8 MB RAM. SB AWE32 and a 540 MB Conner HD. So many ScreamTracker mods and 3D Studio 3 animations made on that thing. Also hours of POV-ray renders…

My next computer was a P166 MMX in 1998 that got a 3DFX later in life, then Voodoo2.

After that a Celeron 266 that I clocked to ~400 MHz (yeah, that legendary one). Then PIII, Plextor 4x SCSI burner (also legendary, soooo many 100-disc spindles went trough that thing) before I went AMD Athlon64 3000+ that I ran WinXP 64-bit edition for no other reason but being able to.

Then Plextor went ATAPI and shat themselves on quality, my two 60 GB hoarding drives died and taught me the value of backups, and I got a TiBook.

Still have the 200GB mp3 library from back then with so much stuff you can’t find today unless you search for literal years. Takes me back.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 11, 2023

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

they cut one open live on air and it turned out to only have a single layer of material.

So they didn’t know about chabuduo even after having several products manufactured in China. Good job on inspecting the finished product, lol; also, random spot checks of every shipment. Which these guys honestly should know?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

It's because there were tons of scam accounts going around posting in the comments with display names like "Gamer's Nexxus T̶̨̧̝͉̣̩͈̹̮͙̜͍̯͂̿̿̾̓̋͛̏͑̕ͅe̸̥̖̘̟̝̱͍̯̯̜͒͛̇̀̓͛̐̓̆͆̄̏̈́l̵͈̘̥͖̖͚͕̬̳͊̓̓͜͝e̸̡̼̣̘̗̘̹̱̘̲͍̟̝̺̩̘̝̿̎̑͝ğ̵̳͍͕̗̤̞̞̉̈̓̈́̇͂̏̕͜r̶̛̛̮̩͔̓̂̂͑͐̓̕a̵̞̥̙͎̞̺͇̱̲̦̣͇͓̟͐̅̎̂̏̽̿̈͂̓̿͌̍͘̕͜͝m̴̲͕̑͆̔̐̍̄̓̑͛̋͘͠ 👉 ➕6️⃣7️⃣2️⃣..." With the comment being along the lines of "you won the giveaway, contact us on Telegram to claim your prize!" (If you actually contacted them they would require you to pay a "shipping fee" and then ghost you once you did.) They would also constantly change their display name depending on which channel they were targeting any given day so if you reported them for impersonation they would already have a different name by the time a human got around to reviewing the report so it would no longer be valid and the account wouldn't face any sanctions.
About half the videos I comment on has a reply along these lines in the past few days, it’s still going strong.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I have no idea about the Tiktok app, but the website is full-featured on desktop with channels that you can subscribe to and scroll though all their uploads.

That's more than I can say for Instagram which doesn't actually work on desktop at all.

Absolute worst thing with Insta, aside from having to log in to see anything, is their disabling any «back» feature in the browser, like that tab’s history is practically deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

I think his overall observation that stagnation causes chaos for the sake of change is true, but there are definitely new "walkman" products and technologies that come out every once in a while.

Unfortunately the consumerism need for yearly refreshes of models does not align with the rate of actual new advancements so you get wacky dumb poo poo that often is a step backwards instead of forwards, just like in the video.

Modern appliances are a good example of this. We pretty much nailed how to build a stove or fridge or microwave decades ago, but they keep trying to mix things up and it's usually for the worse, like adding see-through windows to fridge doors. There's also an issue with efficiency gains being done at the expense of longevity. So while your modern fridge is 200% as electrically efficient versus the fridge from the 50s, you have to replace it every 6 years instead of every... Lifetime. Is the newer fridge really more efficient if you include replacement costs and the wastefulness?

Well if manufacturers would dare to use a $2 metal pump part (like the impelller itself) instead of the $0.25 brittle plastic pump part, the 200% effective fridge could also last 20-30 years no problem. Thing is, they don't because that would mean the fridge would be $50 more expensive, and, you wouldn't have to buy a new one after 5-6 years. Planned obsolescence is sometimes just a (wonderful, for the capitalists) byproduct of making everything as cheaply as possible.

The effectiveness lies in more efficient, brushless electrical motors for the pump; the insulating material used for lining; the coolant system design; and the gas they use as coolant. The only reason design changes like this affect longevity is the aforementioned cheap underdimensioned moving parts.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 26, 2024